Pat White, the deep ball and other options | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pat White, the deep ball and other options

I think Henne will be a good qb but we have no certainity that either qb will pay dividends, no more than the Jets have. Gambling on a so called one year wonder is no more of a gamble than gambling on a division 2 qb that had to transfer from Pittsburgh.

Well we do know that we have two full time QB's that played for their schools...and neither cost what Sanchez did to acquire. Slant it any way you want...but for what the Jets paid for Sanchez...their butts are hanging in the breeze. Was Flacco that much of a gamble...he surely has the better arm than Sanchez...and he was taken with the 18th pick...I don't believe the Ravens traded up or other picks or players for him, as the Jets did for Sanchez.

The USC QB pecking order list's not complete unless you also insert the guy who Sanchez couldn't beat out for 2 straight years above him.

Well we do know that we have two full time QB's that played for their schools...and neither cost what Sanchez did to acquire. Slant it any way you want...but for what the Jets paid for Sanchez...their butts are hanging in the breeze. Was Flacco that much of a gamble...he surely has the better arm than Sanchez...and he was taken with the 18th pick...I don't believe the Ravens traded up or other picks or players for him, as the Jets did for Sanchez.

I don't know. Flacco can probably throw it longer, but Sanchez has one heck of an arm.

Aren't long threads and good discussions a good thing on a message board?

Yup, havent been this excited to read a full thread in a while. This little period of the year really sucks without dolphins news, geez I even kicked around in the political forum cause I was desperate for conversation.

funny you mention the ravens since they tried to trade up and get Ryan and failed. Flacco was thier second choice so they traded down.

Flacco may have a stronger arm but that is hardly a criteria for a top pick.
Its not like Sanchez has a weak arm. I may turn out wrong which can always be possible but not basing anything on last year;s season in the NFL I would take Sanchez all day long over Flacco as I think many would in the NFL. why are people acting like the Jets were the only team that wanted Sanchez. Sanchez was even in rumours as the top pick. Sanchez all all the skills and size necessary to make it in the NFL. Was it a risk to trade up of course but its also a risk to wait until next year and a much bigger risk to take a qb later in this draft which was a weak one for qb's overall.

The USC QB pecking order list's not complete unless you also insert the guy who Sanchez couldn't beat out for 2 straight years above him.

Okay and that means what. Joe Flacco couldnt beat out Tyler Palko and he turned out quite fine.

People do realize that Booty was a junior and Sanchez was a freshman and Booty had been the backup the previous years. Its not uncalled for a a school that has the qb talent that USC does to have to wait until they are a junior to start. Booty was a pretty damn good college qb.

Im sure that he could have went elsewhere and started all 4 years or maybe not. Pat White his freshman season was co starter with Adam Bednarik until Bednarik got injured. Matt Gutterez was the leading canidate to start at Michigan over Henne until he got injured.

Okay and that means what. Joe Flacco couldnt beat out Tyler Palko and he turned out quite fine.

People do realize that Booty was a junior and Sanchez was a freshman and Booty had been the backup the previous years. Its not uncalled for a a school that has the qb talent that USC does to have to wait until they are a junior to start. Booty was a pretty damn good college qb.

Im sure that he could have went elsewhere and started all 4 years or maybe not. Pat White his freshman season was co starter with Adam Bednarik until Bednarik got injured. Matt Gutterez was the leading canidate to start at Michigan over Henne until he got injured.

thanks for making my point for me. With comparable USC stats , height, and an additional year, there's no reason Booty should have been left off the list..and also no compelling reason Sanchez should be ranked higher than him. And as far as intangibles are concerned, I don't believe Booty was forced by the university to take a "rape awareness" course either, eh?

As far as the Palko Flacco analogy, I have 2 words for you: "Dave Wannstedt." Maybe you're right about Sanchez's freshman year, however in his sophomore year, if you don't think Pete Carroll wanted his best players out there to compete for the championship, I've got a shiny bridge in Brooklyn I can let you have cheap!

thanks for making my point for me. With comparable USC stats , height, and an additional year, there's no reason Booty should have been left off the list..and also no compelling reason Sanchez should be ranked higher than him. And as far as intangibles are concerned, I don't believe Booty was forced by the university to take a "rape awareness" course either, eh?

As far as the Palko Flacco analogy, I have 2 words for you: "Dave Wannstedt." Maybe you're right about Sanchez's freshman year, however in his sophomore year, if you don't think Pete Carroll wanted his best players out there to compete for the championship, I've got a shiny bridge in Brooklyn I can let you have cheap!

The compelling reason that Booty should not be ranked higher than him is he has no shot at even starting for the Vikings and Sanchez may be the starter as a rookie in New York. Booty obviously was not considered as good an NFL prospect as Sanchez but why sit a Qb that threw 29 tds and 9 interceptions as a junior. Very seldom does a coach sit down a qb that is playing well. Unless you are just talking about how good a college qb they were.

I agree Wanny is a moron but Palco was a bigger prospect than Flacco coming into college.

The compelling reason that Booty should not be ranked higher than him is he has no shot at even starting for the Vikings and Sanchez may be the starter as a rookie in New York. Booty obviously was not considered as good an NFL prospect as Sanchez but why sit a Qb that threw 29 tds and 9 interceptions as a junior. Very seldom does a coach sit down a qb that is playing well. Unless you are just talking about how good a college qb they were.

I agree Wanny is a moron but Palco was a bigger prospect than Flacco coming into college.

Sanchez has better pro tools than Booty, bottom line. Look at Danny Wuerffel- great college QB, but that weak arm and God awful delivery. Just not cut out for the pro game, DB's are too fast and have too much recovery speed for his pedestrian arm. Imagine him throwing a 20 yard out in the pros- ouch.

funny you mention the ravens since they tried to trade up and get Ryan and failed. Flacco was thier second choice so they traded down.

Flacco may have a stronger arm but that is hardly a criteria for a top pick.
Its not like Sanchez has a weak arm. I may turn out wrong which can always be possible but not basing anything on last year;s season in the NFL I would take Sanchez all day long over Flacco as I think many would in the NFL. why are people acting like the Jets were the only team that wanted Sanchez. Sanchez was even in rumours as the top pick. Sanchez all all the skills and size necessary to make it in the NFL. Was it a risk to trade up of course but its also a risk to wait until next year and a much bigger risk to take a qb later in this draft which was a weak one for qb's overall.

Well lets see...Flacco not only has the stronger arm than Sanchez....but he was very accurate 63.5% rating...over 4000 yds and 23 td's and 5 ints. The fact that the Ravens didn't sell the house to acquire Ryan like the Jets did for Sanchez, only speaks well for the GM of the Ravens....as far as I'm concerned...but lets also remember that no team moved up and went after Ryan...Ryan wasn't the first pick...or the second pick...he was the third pick of the draft. Did other teams want Sanchez....perhaps...as I wrote before...this was a weak QB draft...when you have more teams needing a QB...teams do crazy stuff. Teams can take risks on many players...but the one player they should never take a risk on is a QB...and like it or not...Sanchez is a risk that can hurt the Jets for the next 5 years.

Well lets see...Flacco not only has the stronger arm than Sanchez....but he was very accurate 63.5% rating...over 4000 yds and 23 td's and 5 ints. The fact that the Ravens didn't sell the house to acquire Ryan like the Jets did for Sanchez, only speaks well for the GM of the Ravens....as far as I'm concerned...but lets also remember that no team moved up and went after Ryan...Ryan wasn't the first pick...or the second pick...he was the third pick of the draft. Did other teams want Sanchez....perhaps...as I wrote before...this was a weak QB draft...when you have more teams needing a QB...teams do crazy stuff. Teams can take risks on many players...but the one player they should never take a risk on is a QB...and like it or not...Sanchez is a risk that can hurt the Jets for the next 5 years.

In hindsite I would have taken Sanchez over Flacco. But like I said, Flacco turned out way better than I expected. I would have taken Henne over Flacco, too.

When did Flacco pass for 4,000 yds? You are posting his stats from Delaware? is there any relevance to that?

We didn't sell the house to get Sanchez, we made a steal of a deal trading expendable backups and giving up 1 pick to move up to the top 5.

When did Flacco pass for 4,000 yds? You are posting his stats from Delaware? si there any relevance to that?

We didn't sell the house to get Sanchez, we made a steal of a deal trading expendable backups and giving up 1 pick to move up to the top 5.

I pretty much agree with that. I'm not sure what Mangini was thinking.

One year starter on a team that played a bunch of losers in the Pac-10 (I'm in Oregon...so noone start telling me how good the Pac-10 is...)

Sanchez has not played real competition and was on a "stacked" team...he is is a gamble...plain and simple...

One year starter on a team that played a bunch of losers in the Pac-10 (I'm in Oregon...so noone start telling me how good the Pac-10 is...)

Sanchez has not played real competition and was on a "stacked" team...he is is a gamble...plain and simple...

Mike Mayock on Sanchez:

I think there are three first round quarterbacks in this draft. I think (Matt) Stafford and Josh Freeman have huge arms, they're both more athletic than people think for their size. And I think they've got tremendous upside.

I think the safest pick is Sanchez. Sanchez has a very good arm that I would compare his arm to Matt Ryan. And he's got the best accuracy and footwork amongst the three.

I've been very positive on all three of them and I like all three of them. But I wouldn't bang the table for any of them like I did for Matt Ryan last year. Matt Ryan was my number one guy on the board all year long.
But amongst those three Freeman reminds me of Joe Flacco both on and off the field. And I think if I had to pull the trigger in the top 10 pick with a quarterback I would take Sanchez because I would feel like his floor is higher than the other guys.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2009/4/18/844143/mike-mayock-loves-him-some-mark

Back
Top Bottom