Pat White, the deep ball and other options | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pat White, the deep ball and other options

I don't think Mark Sanchez is a first round pick in any given year. In last year's draft, he would have rated below Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco and Chad Henne.

Maybe heading into the season but after the season I think most people said if he came out he would be a first or second rounder because of the weak QB class.

One question CK....Out of these players....where do you rate Sanchez?

Sanchez, Leinart and Palmer.

I don't think Mark Sanchez is a first round pick in any given year. In last year's draft, he would have rated below Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco and Chad Henne.

If he rated below Henne, the probability is that he'd also have rated out below Brohm coming into the draft.

dqkutu-1.jpg

I think that he would have been rated ahead of Flacco and Henne. At the end of the day he went #5, no matter how you cut it. Nobody wants to pay a QB top 5 money if they don't have to, and the reality is that Sanchez was a hot commodity.

One question CK....Out of these players....where do you rate Sanchez?

Sanchez, Leinart and Palmer.

#1. Carson Palmer

#5. Matt Leinart

#6. Mark Sanchez

I'm one of the few who doesn't quite think Matt Leinart is done in the NFL...but admittedly, when I like I guy, I wait for the fat lady to sing very loudly before I close the book on him.

If he rated below Henne, the probability is that he'd also have rated out below Brohm coming into the draft.

dqkutu-1.jpg

I think most teams in that draft had Henne rated as the 3rd QB behind Ryan and Flacco. I think Green Bay was just an exception. I think if they were all put in the same draft, a lot of teams would put Henne third, Sanchez fourth and Brohm fifth.

I think that he would have been rated ahead of Flacco and Henne. At the end of the day he went #5, no matter how you cut it. Nobody wants to pay a QB top 5 money if they don't have to, and the reality is that Sanchez was a hot commodity.

Why was he a hot commodity? Could it be that there were more teams wanting a QB....than there were QB's?

Could it be that this was a weak QB class...and that made teams like the Jets over reach and over pay?

Lets be a little truthful here....last years QB class was the weakest I've seen in a long time.

In a good QB class...Stafford wouldn't gone any higher than 10....Sanchez and Freeman at BEST would have been late first, early second rounders.

I'm not saying this because he was drafted by the Dolphins, but White was the most productive QB in the draft...and he was selected in the second round...and a few complained about that. Time will tell...but I believe the Dolphins made the best choice at QB.

In your opinion of course. Some people were saying last year that Ryan would not have been a first rounder in other drafts. Qb is a position teams will pass on due to only one playing at a time but I dont see Flacco going over Sanchez. We never know how NFL scouts would actually see so obviously we cant settle this on a message board.

Why was he a hot commodity? Could it be that there were more teams wanting a QB....than there were QB's?

Could it be that this was a weak QB class...and that made teams like the Jets over reach and over pay?

Lets be a little truthful here....last years QB class was the weakest I've seen in a long time.

In a good QB class...Stafford wouldn't gone any higher than 10....Sanchez and Freeman at BEST would have been late first, early second rounders.

I'm not saying this because he was drafted by the Dolphins, but White was the most productive QB in the draft...and he was selected in the second round...and a few complained about that. Time will tell...but I believe the Dolphins made the best choice at QB.

I disagree about Stafford. I felt all along that he would go #1, and he was good in any class. Time will tell. Regarding Sanchez- I don't care how weak a QB class is, you don't take a QB #5 unless you really like him. The opportunity costs- ie the team's cash and the hit to the salary cap- are just way too high.

In your opinion of course. Some people were saying last year that Ryan would not have been a first rounder in other drafts. Qb is a position teams will pass on due to only one playing at a time but I dont see Flacco going over Sanchez. We never know how NFL scouts would actually see so obviously we cant settle this on a message board.

I do see Flacco going above Sanchez because I believe that Ozzie Newsome, John Harbaugh and Cam Cameron would all like Joe Flacco more than Mark Sanchez. If Sanchez were available, they still would have taken Flacco.

I disagree about Stafford. I felt all along that he would go #1, and he was good in any class. Time will tell. Regarding Sanchez- I don't care how weak a QB class is, you don't take a QB #5 unless you really like him. The opportunity cost- ie the teams cash and the hit to the salary cap- are just way too high.

Come on....we're talking about the Jets here. How much money did they spend in the last two years...not including signing a broken down QB....so it's a reach to believe they gambled on SANCHEZ? :chuckle:

Come on....we're talking about the Jets here. How much money did they spend in the last two years...not including signing a broken down QB....so it's a reach to believe they gambled on SANCHEZ? :chuckle:

I would think that Sanchez is going to get a monster contract, so there is a risk there if nothing else because he will be a hit to the salary cap. Of course they gambled on Sanchez, it's always a crap shoot taking a QB that high, especially if the guy isn't closer to a sure thing like Carson Palmer. But they must have really liked him to trade up to #5 and take him there.

The jets made a good decision to move up and draft Sanchez. If they had waited the dropoff in qb would have been substantial. freeman is a much lesser prospect and after freeman in my opinion there was only one serious possible starting qb prospect and that was Nate Davis. The rest are huge projects to be starters at the NFl level.

I still stick that Sanchez would be a first round pick in almost any NFL draft.
I think as I said before that Baltimore would have easily taken Sanchez over Flacco at the time. As a football prospect Sanchez is better than Flacco was at the time.

Like I said we all just have opinions on this and none of us have a wayback machine to prove our point. We had people last year suggesting that Beck would have been at worst the second rated prospect in last year's draft.

I wish many years ago we had did the same and landed a qb instead of standing pat with what we had. If the Jets had waited they might have been stuck at best with Freeman. Would anyone have been mad if we had did the same or similar to move up and take Raji, I would give up the Pat white pick without hesitation. The Jets needed a Qb and moved up and got one that was considered a sure first round pick. If the Jet wait at best they get Freeman and at worst Freeman is gone and then they might as well not draft a qb for the most part.

This all assumes thet the 2009 NFL Draft was the *only* way the Jets could have gotten a Quarterback. I happen to disagree. I think that the Jets should have just ponied up for Jay Cutler.

If the Jets had the ability to acquire the #5 overall pick, they could have traded that, and a future pick (not even the 2010 1st rounder) for Jay Cutler.

I'd do that all day before reaching up and giving a $60 million contract to a Mark Sanchez.

This all assumes thet the 2009 NFL Draft was the *only* way the Jets could have gotten a Quarterback. I happen to disagree. I think that the Jets should have just ponied up for Jay Cutler.

If the Jets had the ability to acquire the #5 overall pick, they could have traded that, and a future pick (not even the 2010 1st rounder) for Jay Cutler.

I'd do that all day before reaching up and giving a $60 million contract to a Mark Sanchez.

How about living with what you have and go after one of the better QB's in the 2010 draft? Was that not a option also.

Back
Top Bottom