Patriots are low on draft picks while the phins are loaded with picks | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Patriots are low on draft picks while the phins are loaded with picks

Brandon Spikes, Chandler Jones, Devin McCourty, Logan Mankins, Rob Gronkowski (round 2), Aaron Hernandez to name a few... I would say he knows what he is doing. All those trading for picks lands these kinds of players. As much as I hate the guy like you, he knows what he is doing, which is why the Patriots have been arguably the best team in the league for the last decade

McCourty has regressed an insane amount since his Pro Bowl rookie season, same with Kyle Arrington. I wouldn't really call Spikes great either since their move to a 4-3. His weaknesses are really more noticeable now.

But outside of getting Gronk and Hernandez (and you can probably throw Jones in there too when all is said and done) Billicheck hasn't really been a good drafter since Pioli went to KC and Dimitroff went to Atlanta... come to think of it, only Dimitroff of the 3 has been a decent drafter.

A number of people have already said this but allow me to echo... Belicheat is not that great drafting players. No one can rival him at getting trade value for his picks. I think he knows his strangths and plays to them. He'll stock pile a number of picks and then use them for FA trade value. Maybe I'm wrong as I've never bothered to actually track the picks/players/trades involved but it's something I feel that I've observed casually.

Playing n 5 superbowls, winning 3 of them, and dominating your division for a decade generally puts you in a 'he knows what he's doing' conversation.

In the AFC East the Dolphins have 10 picks, the Jets have 7 picks, the Bills have 6 picks and the Patriots have 5 picks.

Playing n 5 superbowls, winning 3 of them, and dominating your division for a decade generally puts you in a 'he knows what he's doing' conversation.

You're right, but don't forget where he was before, the emergence of the greatest qb in this generation name Tom Brady, that probably has a lot to do with it.

He's a great coach that has established a tremendous atmosphere of winning. He finds players that buy into his way of doing things 110%. These guys go on to defend him at every turn even after they leave the team. Teddy Bruschi loses his mind every time he thinks someone is questioning the Belichek way of doing things, though he susposed to be impartial as an analyst. This and of course in large part, Tom Brady, are the reason he's been a big time winner in NE.

I may have hung all his success on Brady, but remember the guy won ELEVEN games with that fraud Matt Cassell at QB. The guy had not started a game since high school and they won 11. That's no small feat my friends. Cassell is hot garbage and I think he got a 2nd rounder for him.

However, the main reason this league can still compete and beat that team is that he misses far too often on the draft. Given the large number of high picks they have had if he was at the high end of this league at actual picks, they would have 2-3 more Superbowls.

true as a coach he does, but as a drafter he's lacking a bit.

How?? That just doesnt make sense to me. A guy who's bad at drafting manages to keep winning the division and championships? Are you saying he's doing so without talented players? The other coaches must really be lacking.

How?? That just doesnt make sense to me. A guy who's bad at drafting manages to keep winning the division and championships? Are you saying he's doing so without talented players? The other coaches must really be lacking.

It's called "stumbling upon Tom Brady" and it's a pretty hard thing to do.

I'd have to agree w/ Chubbs on this.

Bill Belichick's drafting sucks. You take away the Tom Brady pick from 12 years ago, and the Pats are an average team at best. He struck gold w/ Brady and gets credit for that, but it doesn't mean he's a great drafter. He's had tons of misses over the years. Every year he accumulated all these picks and most of his moves didn't net him anything.

He did great w/ the TEs and has a keeper in Chandler Jones and possibly Hightower, but look at all these other high draft pick misses going back the last 6 years: Ras-I Dowling, Jermaine Cunningham, Taylor Price, Pat Chung, Ron Brace, Darius Butler, Brandon Tate, Tyrone McKenzie, Terrence Wheatley, Shawn Crable, Kevin O'Connell, Brandon Meriweather, Laurence Maroney, Chad Jackson, and David Thomas. ALL of these guys were picked between Rounds 1 - 3. And the jury is still out on Tavon Wilson (a total reach this year) and Jake Bequette from this year's draft and Shane Vereen and Ryan Mallett from last year. Brandon Spikes was a 2nd round pick and only plays on running downs...how's that any better than Koa Misi?

The Patriots success all these years is due to one primary reason: Tom Brady.

Pretty much sums it up.

I'll take Ireland drafting over Bellichick any day of the week. SOLELY at the cornerback position, he has had a ridiculous amount of turnover.

Back
Top Bottom