Patriots are low on draft picks while the phins are loaded with picks | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Patriots are low on draft picks while the phins are loaded with picks

It's too bad those 2 losses the Dolphins will put on them will move those early round New England picks up toward the middle of the pack.

McCourty has regressed an insane amount since his Pro Bowl rookie season, same with Kyle Arrington. I wouldn't really call Spikes great either since their move to a 4-3. His weaknesses are really more noticeable now.

But outside of getting Gronk and Hernandez (and you can probably throw Jones in there too when all is said and done) Billicheck hasn't really been a good drafter since Pioli went to KC and Dimitroff went to Atlanta... come to think of it, only Dimitroff of the 3 has been a decent drafter.

McCourty had a bad second season but so far he's been pretty good this year. not up to his rookie year level but he's still having a quality year. Arrington's always been below average to terrible.

Spikes is having a very good year so far; they either take him off the field in passing situations or let him blitz so he doesn't get exposed.

I really liked Dimitroff and he's done a good job for Atlanta but Pioli was around for the bad drafts of 06-08 and he hasn't done well with the Chiefs either. Ever since Pioli left and Floyd Reese was hired the Patriots have gotten back to being one of the better drafting teams in the league.

as far as the patriots draft goes for this year, they'll probably trade down at least once to get more 2nd and 3rd rounders unless there's a top safety prospect they really like. it's supposed to be a very deep draft this year so I'd be ok with that.

He sucks at drafting anyways. Not sure where his fame for drafting started, guy may be good trading picks for more picks but is not that great at drafting.
Chubbs

That's the trick... he deals the picks, so he doesn't have to get criticized for the crap he's selecting. How many RBs and defensive players have they blown through these past several years? And WRs? Their best talent was luckily found in later rounds or brought aboard through free agency

They really haven't been that bad at drafting. They had a bad run from 2006-08 but the past several drafts, especially the 2010 one, have brought in a lot of talent.

He sucks at drafting anyways. Not sure where his fame for drafting started, guy may be good trading picks for more picks but is not that great at drafting.
Chubbs

So apparently the Patriots 139-45 record since 2001, 5 Super Bowl appearances, and 3 Super Bowl wins were all luck...:lol:

Of course, many will say it is all Brady. But then the Patriots went 11-5 with Matt Cassel after he had never started a game in college or the NFL. The same QB who has gone 19-25 since with more experience in KC. Seems to me that Belichick deserves a little credit.

Also should keep in mind that by the time NE is on the board with their own pick in the 1st round they are usually drafting around #30 and blue-chip top-10 talent is long gone.

Has drafted 14 players that have amassed 48 Pro Bowl appearances. I would say they have drafted "slightly" better than Miami during the same time period from further back in the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL this has nothing to do with him analyzing the talent of this draft. He is not that smart, stop giving him that much credit.

He keeps trading his picks because he realizes his team is not as good as he thought and is trying to makeup for his poor drafting by trading for players.
Chubbs

This is absolutely nothing but lip service by a Miami homer. He's by no means as great as everyone thinks he is, but he's fantastic at not only stockpiling talent but drafting everything but secondary.

And this draft is not stocked, whatsoever. From the mid range position, 30-90, it's not as stocked as last draft. Period.

I understand this is a Dolphin's forum, and Im as diehard as it gets, but there's never any service to either fan base when you make blanket negative statements like that. What's next? Cheatriots? Belicheat? The more realistic you are about your team, and other teams, the more sane you'll be.

Great point that the Pats cheated during those year. But Bill B has been great at trading picks period. To say that he had been drafting at the back end of the draft is incorrect because he has traded picks many years and ended up much higher up in the first round. His record with all theos high round pick has not been good may average to below average but with his ability to trade so well in the draft you have to give the guy a much higher grade. Yes Brady had made Bill B as much as any thing else he had done but you still have to give him credit for Brady too. The last time we beat them Brady was on the bench hurt. How many times or games had Brady missed hurt over the years? NOt many huge so talent as far as being injuryprone is huge something many fan overlook. But as an old athlete myself there are 3 types of talent making up a premier athlete 1 pure talent, mental stength and staying healthy. I bleive Brady pocess more of the latter 2 than the first and he is talented.

Where would the Pats be without the tuck rule?

Without Spygate?

They had some good roll after some bad roll and guess what they are heading to the bad roll again - a 35 year old drop back passer is going to be easy pickins for the hungrier Defenses - they like the Dolphins with Marino will have no succession plan in place that Brady will ever stand for

This is absolutely nothing but lip service by a Miami homer. He's by no means as great as everyone thinks he is, but he's fantastic at not only stockpiling talent but drafting everything but secondary.

And this draft is not stocked, whatsoever. From the mid range position, 30-90, it's not as stocked as last draft. Period.

I understand this is a Dolphin's forum, and Im as diehard as it gets, but there's never any service to either fan base when you make blanket negative statements like that. What's next? Cheatriots? Belicheat? The more realistic you are about your team, and other teams, the more sane you'll be.

And Tannehill wasn't rated that high last year? Who ya gonna believe about this draft? Trust Bellicheat?

And Tannehill wasn't rated that high last year? Who ya gonna believe about this draft? Trust Bellicheat?

Your ace in the hole is a rookie QB who has played a total of 6 games? Seriously? Let's chill the hell out before claiming Tannehill is Dan Marino and we got an absolute steal. It has nothing to do with this upcoming draft. Period. You always go after VALUE for your selections. That's the entire point of the draft.

Ireland has been fantastic in getting draft picks to fill holes, but I don't plan on him making all those picks. With the extra picks :We either trade up, or we trade for future picks. Ireland isn't a dummy.

I'm not saying bellichek is a bad coach but he's not as good a drafting as every one thinks. I'd take the giants drafting over the pats all day.

Belicheck is fantastic on game day, fantastic at picking up free agents or trading for people (Moss, Welker, etc.), great coach outside of game day but his drafting has been pretty poor since Pioli left given how many picks they have had. If you look at their last superbowl appearance they had so few high draft picks it was unreal. Yes Brady has been a huge influence on Belicheck's success but there are things he has been better than any other coaches at, but drafting he has been poor.

I think ireland and company have a plan with those picks. I for one, can't wait to sit back and watch it all unfold. I was very happy with last years draft. We are loading up on picks this year, either to just have a good inventory of picks, to trade up for top talent this year, or to maneuver for postition in the 2014 draft.. either way, I like what these guys are doing.

Back
Top Bottom