Pauline: Fins seem "locked" in on Lamp at 22 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pauline: Fins seem "locked" in on Lamp at 22

I'd rather have Cam Robinson than Lamp...but I know Robinson might be gone, hell they might both be gone.

As much as I like Lamp we do need a future replacement for Cam
but do you draft someone at 22 to be a part time player for a year or two?

Do you draft a LB in the first round that will start immediately?

Do you draft an offensive lineman who will start from day one?

Do you draft Lamp in round 1

Started 51 games, all but three at LT. “Might be the toughest guy in the draft,” said one scout.
Tied for second among O-linemen in the bench press with 34 reps.
From Venice, Fla. “He comes from absolutely nothing,” another scout said.
“He could be a complete (expletive) and he’s a great kid. Two-year captain.
People are falling in love with who this kid is. He’s an undersized left tackle who has intangibles and athletic ability,
and that makes me think of a center. He’s got that kind of leadership.
2016. Lamp started 12 of 14 games for the Hilltoppers at left tackle, missing the Vanderbilt and Houston Baptist games due to an ankle injury, and did not allow a sack for the second consecutive season. For the season, Lamp allowed just four quarterback pressures over 558 pass attempts.

Do you go for other offensive lineman in the second round such as DAN FEENEY
who could step in at right guard and work at center to eventually replace Pouncey

Started 46 games, including 41 at RG and the final five at RT.
“He was one of our more consistent players (in the draft),” said one scout.
“They ended up having to play him at tackle, and it was kind of an injustice to the kid.
He has the intangibles and the intelligence (Wonderlic of 29) to be a pretty good center.

ISAAC ASIATA who Made 32 starts at LG, seven at RG and four at RT.
“He’s all maul,” said one scout. “I love him. He always tries to kill guys.
He’s got a degree of athleticism. He just plays the game really tough.”
Led O-linemen on the bench press with 35 reps. Will turn 25 late in the season

DORIAN JOHNSON First All-American offensive lineman at Pitt since Ruben Brown in 1994.
“Two years ago, they ran more power and Dorian had a really good year,” said one scout.
“Last year they went to more motion spread with about 10 jet sweeps a game and it didn’t suit his game.
He’s more of a power scheme guy.” Started 42 of 51 games, including 39 at LG.
“He’s very smart (Wonderlic of 24),” said another scout. “He’s got really good length (35 ¼ arms).
His lower body scares the crap out of me. Weak.” Topped guards in broad jump (9-6) and hand size (10 7/8).

ETHAN POCIC
Versatility is the operative word. Started 27 games at center from 2014-16, nine at RG in 2014 and one at RT in ’16.
“He’s definitely smart enough to play all the positions so that enhances his value,” one scout said.
“You’d want him on your team because if somebody goes down he can flip and play another spot.
said another scout. “He’ll be a long-time interior player whether it’s guard or center.
He is tough, technically sound, aware. Smart player. Got an NFL body.” Won’t turn 22 until August. Wonderlic of 29.

PAT ELFLEIN

Elflein started 28 games at both guards in 2014-15 before making a smooth switch to center in ’16. “I’ve studied it at length,” said a second scout. “Believe it or not, I thought he played better last year (’15). I like him better at guard than center. He’s really tough and smart (Wonderlic of 21). He didn’t test well enough to go second round.” Top-shelf prep wrestler at Pickerington, Ohio. Two-time captain for the Buckeyes.

JORDAN MORGAN

Gene Upshaw Award winner as the top lineman in Division II. “He’s an athlete,” said one scout.
“It was mixed at the combine but he’d be an interesting mid-round guy. He’s light on his feet.”
Started 43 games at LT but projects more to center and guard.
“He was at the Senior Bowl and held his ownSounds like this guy is the same kind of guy
.” Longest arms of the centers (34 5/8). “Sleeper type kid,” a third scout said.
“He’s got a lot of up side. He’ll make it.”

I'm looking forward to see what direction we go with this draft

Last edited by a moderator:
Sign me up. We do need a guard

Thanks miamiron for posting all that detailed info about potential guard fits. Where does Jordan Morgan project to be drafted (what round) because I haven't heard about this kid but he sounds like a project with tons of potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, I can't help it, Forrest Lamp has completely won me over. I'll be happy if we draft the kid, as he's exactly what we need, power, durability, all the technique and quickness, proper size, determination, intelligence, not quite the arms where he gets bid up out of our range by people looking for LT's. He may not be Zack Martin, but he's dang close if he isn't. We need a dominant guard, and we haven't had one since we jettisoned Ritchie Incognito. Lamp is better, without the baggage, and is someone who could finally solve our protection and run blocking issues at one spot once and for all. We can live with one bad guard. We cannot live with two bad guards, IMHO. It wastes Ajayi, takes the run threat away from Tannehill's options, and really hurts our offense, which in turn puts a huge stress on our defense. This pick makes a lot of sense.

But, I can't help but feel we need to draft pass rushers ... plural. There are certain positions that just don't come along that often. When a DT like Suh comes along, you must take him, because guys at his size that move like that are so rare, getting one with all the other boxes checked may not ever happen again. Getting an Aaron Rodgers isn't something you may have the chance at getting again for 2 or 3 decades. Getting a Bruce Smith, JJ Watt or Myles Garrett are simply too good to pass up. In the NFL, good pass rushers are too good to pass up. In free agency they're too good to let go, which is why Vernon got a crazy number and the Giants came back and gave 4-fingers JPP a huge deal as well. Those guys are not realistically replaceable.

This draft is very rare in that we finally have a very deep stable of pass rushers. The guy we may have available to us at 22 is probably a guy that goes top 10 in most other drafts. If we're good, we will not have a shot at drafting a guy like this again. If we're bad, it may be because we lost Cam Wake to injury and didn't have a guy like this to pick up the slack. Either way, a pass rusher seems too valuable to pass up (pun intended). It may be a long time before we see a pass rusher draft as deep as this one. And if we have a shot at a legitimately good one like Derek Rivers at 54, we should probably pull the trigger there too.

Even though it's not my top choice, it makes sense because OG is a huge need and Lamp is a potential star there with versatility to cover OT in a pinch. What DOESN'T make sense is allowing a solid RT to walk and create yet another offensive line need. He'll get his 5th year pay or better yet, they'll sign him long term and we can possibly go at least one goddamn year without using a high pick on the ****ing o-line.

This. If we draft Lamp and then open up another hole on the OL next year, we will never get off this OL hamster wheel. We need to stop using resources on the OL, only to open up holes on same said OL.

If Lap is drafted then the Fins have Pouncey insurance.

DE is still a gaping hole.....

Most of the mock drafts have us taking Lamp at 22. I thought we could move down and take Lamp but Grier insinuated that wasn't an option. If he is our target, they know the Texans may also be targeting him. I think if Barnett or Reddick are available, they are both higher on their draft board and they would take either over Lamp who is rated 30th in most of the rankings.

As much as I like Lamp we do need a future replacement for Cam
but do you draft someone at 22 to be a part time player for a year or two?

Do you draft a LB in the first round that will start immediately?

Do you draft an offensive lineman who will start from day one?

Do you draft Lamp in round 1

Started 51 games, all but three at LT. “Might be the toughest guy in the draft,” said one scout.
Tied for second among O-linemen in the bench press with 34 reps.
From Venice, Fla. “He comes from absolutely nothing,” another scout said.
“He could be a complete (expletive) and he’s a great kid. Two-year captain.
People are falling in love with who this kid is. He’s an undersized left tackle who has intangibles and athletic ability,
and that makes me think of a center. He’s got that kind of leadership.

Do you go for other offensive lineman in the second round such as DAN FEENEY
who could step in at right guard and work at center to eventually replace Pouncey

Started 46 games, including 41 at RG and the final five at RT.
“He was one of our more consistent players (in the draft),” said one scout.
“They ended up having to play him at tackle, and it was kind of an injustice to the kid.
He has the intangibles and the intelligence (Wonderlic of 29) to be a pretty good center.

ISAAC ASIATA who Made 32 starts at LG, seven at RG and four at RT.
“He’s all maul,” said one scout. “I love him. He always tries to kill guys.
He’s got a degree of athleticism. He just plays the game really tough.”
Led O-linemen on the bench press with 35 reps. Will turn 25 late in the season

DORIAN JOHNSON First All-American offensive lineman at Pitt since Ruben Brown in 1994.
“Two years ago, they ran more power and Dorian had a really good year,” said one scout.
“Last year they went to more motion spread with about 10 jet sweeps a game and it didn’t suit his game.
He’s more of a power scheme guy.” Started 42 of 51 games, including 39 at LG.
“He’s very smart (Wonderlic of 24),” said another scout. “He’s got really good length (35 ¼ arms).
His lower body scares the crap out of me. Weak.” Topped guards in broad jump (9-6) and hand size (10 7/8).

ETHAN POCIC
Versatility is the operative word. Started 27 games at center from 2014-16, nine at RG in 2014 and one at RT in ’16.
“He’s definitely smart enough to play all the positions so that enhances his value,” one scout said.
“You’d want him on your team because if somebody goes down he can flip and play another spot.
said another scout. “He’ll be a long-time interior player whether it’s guard or center.
He is tough, technically sound, aware. Smart player. Got an NFL body.” Won’t turn 22 until August. Wonderlic of 29.

PAT ELFLEIN

Elflein started 28 games at both guards in 2014-15 before making a smooth switch to center in ’16. “I’ve studied it at length,” said a second scout. “Believe it or not, I thought he played better last year (’15). I like him better at guard than center. He’s really tough and smart (Wonderlic of 21). He didn’t test well enough to go second round.” Top-shelf prep wrestler at Pickerington, Ohio. Two-time captain for the Buckeyes.

JORDAN MORGAN

Gene Upshaw Award winner as the top lineman in Division II. “He’s an athlete,” said one scout.
“It was mixed at the combine but he’d be an interesting mid-round guy. He’s light on his feet.”
Started 43 games at LT but projects more to center and guard.
“He was at the Senior Bowl and held his ownSounds like this guy is the same kind of guy
.” Longest arms of the centers (34 5/8). “Sleeper type kid,” a third scout said.
“He’s got a lot of up side. He’ll make it.”

I'm looking forward to see what direction we go with this draft

Isaac Asiata sounds like exactly what this team needs at guard. I thought he was more of a third round projection, but if Miami wants him they may have to use pick #54. That #97 could be too late.

I also think it will be hard to pass on Reuben Foster is he now slides to #22. If you get Foster in the first, do you follow up with a pass rusher or offensive guard?

Hey, I can't help it, Forrest Lamp has completely won me over. I'll be happy if we draft the kid, as he's exactly what we need, power, durability, all the technique and quickness, proper size, determination, intelligence, not quite the arms where he gets bid up out of our range by people looking for LT's. He may not be Zack Martin, but he's dang close if he isn't. We need a dominant guard, and we haven't had one since we jettisoned Ritchie Incognito. Lamp is better, without the baggage, and is someone who could finally solve our protection and run blocking issues at one spot once and for all. We can live with one bad guard. We cannot live with two bad guards, IMHO. It wastes Ajayi, takes the run threat away from Tannehill's options, and really hurts our offense, which in turn puts a huge stress on our defense. This pick makes a lot of sense.

But, I can't help but feel we need to draft pass rushers ... plural. There are certain positions that just don't come along that often. When a DT like Suh comes along, you must take him, because guys at his size that move like that are so rare, getting one with all the other boxes checked may not ever happen again. Getting an Aaron Rodgers isn't something you may have the chance at getting again for 2 or 3 decades. Getting a Bruce Smith, JJ Watt or Myles Garrett are simply too good to pass up. In the NFL, good pass rushers are too good to pass up. In free agency they're too good to let go, which is why Vernon got a crazy number and the Giants came back and gave 4-fingers JPP a huge deal as well. Those guys are not realistically replaceable.

This draft is very rare in that we finally have a very deep stable of pass rushers. The guy we may have available to us at 22 is probably a guy that goes top 10 in most other drafts. If we're good, we will not have a shot at drafting a guy like this again. If we're bad, it may be because we lost Cam Wake to injury and didn't have a guy like this to pick up the slack. Either way, a pass rusher seems too valuable to pass up (pun intended). It may be a long time before we see a pass rusher draft as deep as this one. And if we have a shot at a legitimately good one like Derek Rivers at 54, we should probably pull the trigger there too.

It's an interesting dilemma. Lamp definitely solves the LG need in a big, big way as you articulated. His addition would probably give Miami the best pass blocking left side in football as well. That's obviously a projection, but I could see that. But, I think the team can get a quality guard in round two.

If Foster falls do you take the best linebacker that's come out in several years or the best pass rusher that gets to #22? That could be another discussion among decision makers. Then you have to start looking potentially at what guards you can get at pick #97 or maybe potentially look for trade up options.

I'm with you, though, on getting the pass rusher. As an organization, that's one position where you don't want to be stuck without talent. That could be the case in a year or two for Miami if it's not a priority in the draft.

Robinson is also a thug.

Arrested in May 2016 on drug possession and gun charges. Although the DA didn’t prosecute,
Alabama imposed various requirements in order to stay on the team.
Scored 16 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. Shoulder issues concern teams.
“Very, very erratic,” said a third scout. “Lot of penalties. Up and down play.”
“He hasn’t got better since his freshman year,” said a second scout. “He’s a right tackle to me.
I don’t trust him to protect (his team’s quarterback).”

Back
Top Bottom