Pete Shrager is excited about our prospects this year.. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pete Shrager is excited about our prospects this year..

We probably will be scouring the waiver wire/ cut lists for additional help at LB, but I am guessing the pickings will be slim. Maybe we will get lucky with a trade.

Teams rarely cut lbs that can play unless it's a high priced vet or long in the tooth one they have a replacement for. And when you sign those guys they don't show up to be depth. I hate how much NFL teams assume health with their 1s that's great and all but what happens when you get an injury and insert trash? You're screwed is what happens. I might be able to hide those lbs against teams like the bills or jets ones that won't dent the scoreboard but I can't against a lot of that schedule. It's eye sores.

I'm sure Miami is gonna be in the reactive not proactive group. Most those last cuts adds end up special teamers types you have no plan of playing with on actual offense or defense.

Just hope like hell we stay healthy starting nickel lbs.

I would buy that but they make no mention of their best LB....Bruce Irvin at SLB. They still run the 4-3 under correct?

You are correct here. Norton is running the 4-3 Under. So you are then right again in pointing out that Jenkins looks to be a backup WLB to James.

The article lists Mack and Irvin as edge rushers even though Irvin will be the SLB.

See if Fede can get you a 2 deep nickel option at lb with a little bit of upside. You aren't gonna hit a homerun but we need a piece. Maybe new orleans

Trade that to a 43 team if possible he doesn't have any 34 value

Fede is really the only piece that we have that we can afford to trade that might have some value to a 43 team.

I'd take dewayne Robertson from the saints but he's another if you add coming in as a starter veteran.

So miamis probably just gonna ride this out til we get an injury in the plan a nickel.

This season I see the offense being successful running the ball but very similar to last year. Somewhat inconsistent. But that depends a lot on the health of Pouncey. I think we will see some high powered offense at times with Cutler airing it out. Parker will be our leading receiver as he emerges as a true #1. Landry will still get his receptions but Cutler will also throw some maddening picks. Stills will keep the safeties honest and make his plays as well. Any additional yardage we can get from Ajayi in the passing game is an added bonus.

Defense will be similar to last year once we get into the season and a few injuries pile up. We will get gashed in the running game with chunk yardage from missed assignments and poor tackling. I'm not as worried about the secondary but Allen will not be great as a deep safety. He will get some picks though.

The best thing we have going is the effort and attitude from the team. They figured out how to win last year and yes, it was in close games. Not buying the smoke and mirrors remark. We didn't do anything that out of the ordinary on defense. Hopefully the learning curve from Burke is short and gets better as we go along. The second half of the season features all but two division games including both NE games. By then we will get McDonald AND Larsen back. (Hopefully Larsen).

I believe if our Dolphins can start the season fast with wins over the Buccaneers, Chargers, Jets, Saints, and Titans then there is a chance to do anything really. Here are my thoughts though they will need to win the division for it to happen. It is too hard to win on the road in the playoffs. But, if they some how they do what the 2007 New York Giants did. Its possible. I see them going 11-5 this year.

Our Achilles heel will once again be our defense. Even with Suh, Alonso, and jones.... this defense has too many holes with a rookie DC. Philly showed that once again we won't be able to stop anyone

Tampa is key week 1. We almost pulled off a win in Seattle of all places last year and luckily we are at home week 1. We need to win if for nothing else, just a confidence boost for a team with a new QB. That will help a lot as we head for a dreaded west coast trip.

Well at least the guy said something positive about the Fins. Most sports programs, ESPN, laugh when they talk about the Fins like they have no talent at all. ESPN usually mentions them as a "oh yea" they had a game and then laughs. It nice to see some positive coverage. I hope he prediction comes true. It would nice for the franchise and the fans.

Tampa is key week 1. We almost pulled off a win in Seattle of all places last year and luckily we are at home week 1. We need to win if for nothing else, just a confidence boost for a team with a new QB. That will help a lot as we head for a dreaded west coast trip.

I think Tampa will be a tough win. IMO, they have things that give us trouble like very tall receivers, and a quick, elusive RB that plays bigger than his size. I hope our defense can get off the field. I also hope that Winston's inaccuracy bodes well in our favor in the turn over department, but IMO this team should not be underestimated. I hope not, of course, but we could get our butts kicked.

LOL! I guess I am hoping on a lot of things. I have no idea of where we are as a team, and until we get a few games under our belt, I am a little worried we will come out flat. SMH. Happens every year with me. :-)

Last edited:
Tampa won't have Doug Martin he's been suspended. That helps. Those two tight ends though are gonna be a problem. Tampas lb group is better than miamis. Maxwell seems to play better vs bigger WRs so maybe the matchup won't be too bad of one on the outside. Give him the Texas a & m kid put Howard on desean Jackson McCain has to limit the slot humphries. And if and when Jamieus has a brain fart capitalize on it. He doesn't look like he's kicked the forcing it habit yet. Should be some plays to be made got to make them.

Tough week 1 opponent. They like Miami are gonna play a ton of 11 and 12 and they have major mismatch opportunities at tight end vs most teams in 12.

And that kicker situation is good for a couple game changing missed kicks or game losing ones even.

Last year was done with smoke and mirrors, in that the team won four more games than it lost, despite that it surrendered 17 more points than it scored on the year.

Unless the schedule proves very weak once again, or there is a huge turnover margin in favor of the team, there will have to be an improvement in offensive output and/or defensive points surrendered to even make the playoffs, let alone reach the conference championship.

What this guy hasn't seemed to consider is the likelihood of a team's reaching the conference championship without having a playoff bye and home-field advantage. The Dolphins will likely need to improve from 10-6 to at least 12-4 for that to happen, and that's quite the jump when last year was more like smoke and mirrors than a "real" 10-6.

For those stats to mean much you would have to run them for the time period after the first 5 games. The time before that was when both our offense and defense were learning drastically new systems.

Only after the first 5 games did we start playing as a team. We will have that knowledge from game one this year.

I'm not saying there wasn't any smoke and mirrors, but run those turnover, points for and against, and other stats over the last 11 games.

Remember, we had about half of our starting lineup out by the time the playoffs rolled around, but the team had learned the systems.

I think you will find that over the last 11 games there was less smoke and mirrors needed. Just more seeking out wins in winnable close games.

I also don't believe this team is in a position to make it to the AFC Title game but what's the harm is appreciating a positive piece that predicts that? You're right that some people just **** on whatever they read. So dumb.

And for those that are protecting their feelings from disappointment, by that logic, the only time you get to be excited about your team is if/when they win a title? That's just ridiculous. What's the point in being a fan?

The way i see it, i save my disappointment for the 20 minutes or so after a loss...and maybe avoid talk radio fora few days...but no point in being miserable over a team before a game is even played.

Fact is, any relatively good team has a shot. This is not motor racing, where having a lousy car dooms you and only a few cars have a chance to win a race. Bad teams sometimes beat better teams. Mediocre teams sneak into the playoffs and get hot. People were dismissed all over the place for predicting playoffs last year, or even saying "maybe we can make the playoffs".

None of us know for sure how it will play out, else we'd be banking in Vegas. So yeah, i hope for playoffs and beyond until its no longer possible. When i watch Formula 1, i dont hope Kvyat wins, because the sh** aint friggin happening, no matter what happens.

Back
Top Bottom