Philbin- Good Coach or Bad Coach | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philbin- Good Coach or Bad Coach

His game management decisions are elite.
Elite?? Come on, don't give examples of his mistakes gives some of what makes him elite. I really don't see even average. He is better at game management that Tony, but not elite.

His game management decisions are elite. The only things I would consider clear mistakes would be attempting the field goal at Pittsburgh in the blizzard before the half and punting on 4th and 1 at around their 40 vs Cincy (the play before Wake ended the game with a walk off safety, just to show I'm not being results oriented).

He wins at 93% when he gets a good performance from his QB (passer rating 88+) which is good for second in the league only to Jim Harbaugh.

He deserves a third year because with a god awful GM it apparently takes more than 2 years to overhaul the entire team to fit his philosophy, which is the opposite of what Tony Sparano (and Rex Ryan) ran who relied on running the ball and stopping the run. I believe Philbin's philosophy is predicated on winning the passer rating differential -- if our QB outplays their QB we'll win. The philosophy may be too progressive for the NFL at this time, especially if Tannehill doesn't step up, but I want to see it through. If Tannehill becomes elite I could see us winning games by 40-50 points with this philosophy, which is a far cry from Wanny-ball.

I noticed you have a problem with the lack of perceived creativity in his game planning, well Philbin is a system coach and you're going to be disappointed if you like a guy that designs illustrious formations to account for a specific player from a specific team. But then I believe Pete Carroll is a system coach too and he didn't do too badly for himself...

he was put in charge of developing the QB so whose fault is it that his QB is not giving him better performances?

He deserves a third year because with a god awful GM it apparently takes more than 2 years to overhaul the entire team to fit his philosophy, which is the opposite of what Tony Sparano (and Rex Ryan) ran who relied on running the ball and stopping the run.

You can add Pete Carroll, Jim and John Harbaugh to that list.

Elite?? Come on, don't give examples of his mistakes gives some of what makes him elite. I really don't see even average. He is better at game management that Tony, but not elite.

Why don't you give some examples of clear mistakes, I guarantee he didn't call any timeouts after a turnover like Morano.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

he was put in charge of developing the QB so whose fault is it that his QB is not giving him better performances?

That is the million dollar question -- is Tannehill capable of giving better performances and if so what is an acceptable timeline for developing a QB and should that timeline apply to every QB equally regardless of the situation. To me he's doing it right trying to expedite the learning curve by putting all the weight squarely on Tannehill's shoulders, we should find out a lot this season.

You are absolutely lying to yourself if you think Philbin is an ELITE game manager.

I recall a FOOLISH spike call in the game against Baltimore.

You are absolutely lying to yourself if you think Philbin is an ELITE game manager.

I recall a FOOLISH spike call in the game against Baltimore.

Lol.
1. Its debatable if the spike was right or wrong, it certainly was not "foolish."
2. What makes you think Philbin had anything to do with it?

You think the jury is still out on Ireland?

I think that there are a lot of members of this board who still think Ireland was a competent GM. Not long before he was fired (and make no doubt, he was fired -- Ross fires people by redefining their job duties in a way that is unacceptable to them), a poll on this board had more people wanting to keep Ireland around than those who wanted him gone.

Those of us who saw the truth about Jeff Ireland were definitely a minority even though we were right.

Back
Top Bottom