Philbin- Good Coach or Bad Coach | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philbin- Good Coach or Bad Coach

Philbin needs to stop being so timid on the sideline. I know that man has testosterone flowing through his body, just waiting to see proof of it.

Lets go Philbin, I want to see you succeed!

Joe Philbin is a bad coach.

Situations crop up for every team in the league, coaches are judged by how they handle them. Granted, Philbin's tenure has been marred by things others hadnt dealt with, but his handling of the situations has been atrocious. You dont want to blame him for the Incognito mess? Fair enough, i'll allow that. Why didnt Philbin know what was going on? Because when he asked that positions coach what was going on the coach lied to his face. When it came out, what did Philbin do about that blatant (and compromising) lie? Did he fire the coach? Suspend him? Dock his pay? How about raise his voice? To the best of my knowledge, he chose none of the above. Instead, Philbin kept him on for the rest of the season. And then proceeded to (successfully) fight for that coach to continue receiving paychecks for the next 2 years. Oh, and that position coaches unit was responsible for a historical awful performance. Cheers.
Moving on, it was clear to everyone that Mike Sherman was a problem. His play calling was horrific and his inability to play into the strengths of our team cost us. Our damn quarterback leaked it the media that he had totally lost his faith in the man. How did Philbin handle this? By fighting tooth and nail against the owner to keep Sherman. Then, when interviewing general managers, he reportedly told them he could bench Tannehill. Brilliant priorities.

That doesnt even cover his gameday performances, which are thoroughly average. He cant adapt or elevate the play of our players. When everything goes exactly according to the game plan, we will win. If Philbin has misjudged the other team or they do something unexpected, we are screwed. Ultimately Philbin will take an .500 roster and carve out a 8-8 season. He is completely dependent on the very players he is quick to throw under the bus. He isnt Jim Harbaugh, who will make his quarterbacks look great while breathing fire at anyone who even glances at "his guys" wrong.

When everyone on our leadership council was being shown the door early in Philbin's tenure i didnt necessarily believe he was trying to censure the team. It might have been a coincidence. Guys like Long had issues and Dansby had a big contract. I was reserved and willing to let things play out. Now? Theres no doubt in my mind that Philbin considered speaking out to be threatening. He wants his players to toe the line. Yet coaches can apparently do whatever the **** they want and there are no consequences. If im a player in the locker room im only listening with half an ear. Why play my ass off and risk a career ending injury for this scrub? Do the bare minimum, collect my paycheck, and wait for the next staff. Id have that attitude because Philbin is a poor coach.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that we even question if Philbin is a good coach in year 3 says it all. We've had 2 years to judge him and thus far he has been average. The consensus seems to be that he is average but he deserves a 3rd year. He has shown nothing that says that he is even remotely a good coach.

I knew Philbin was a brutal coach right after loss to Buffalo, coming off the bye last season. I agree whole heartedly with Spesh.

I knew Philbin was a brutal coach right after loss to Buffalo, coming off the bye last season. I agree whole heartedly with Spesh.
That pretty much did it for me too. I mean I was hoping for the best but really wasn't expecting much after that. And when we finish the season off by not showing up with the season on the line I have lost all faith. I really didn't think he would survive and really didn't think he should have. At this point I figure if we win it is more in spite of him rather than because of him.

I really thought after this 2 game meltdown the sweep was on.
I wouldn't of cared if everyone was canned. If he has any sack it will be seen in this years team and in the tight battles where adjustments are key.

I have very little faith in Coach Philbin, his overall team management leaves a lot to be desired and not to mention the talent he got rid of that could of help us big time last year. He and his staff couldn't make any adjustments during games that inspire confidence in his coaching ability at this level, there is nothing about him that is innovative to lead a team that has been stuck in mediocracy for decades over the hump...I hope he can prove me wrong because its pretty depressing to see just about every NFL team have a stretch of major improvement except us, with that being said it wouldn't be a bad thing to look for a good replacement even before the season starts just in case the wheels start to fall off early on.

Tureo, " but he deserves a 3rd year ", give me a freaking break, he lacks motivational and social skills, has no idea that his leadership style and philosophy are detrimental to teamwork and cohesiveness, is stubborn in correcting his own bad decisions and has questionable success at developing players! If I had a choice he would be fired before the season starts, but I don't. So I hope Tanehill learns the new offense fast and is successful at making the jump he himself pointed out, it's the only way Philbin can keep the job.

I hope that everyone saying he is a good coach are proven right, but Philbin failed to have his team ready...TWICE..., I highly doubt he could prove them right.

I think Philbin was good in his first yr and not so good in his second. I do think he deserved to coach a 3rd only because when you hire a HC you should give him at least 3 yrs to prove he is the guy for the job....Last yr he started great, then the team went into a funk and then the mess that was Richie became national news....he did a good job getting the team to win games during that time but I thought he handled the scrutiny poorly.....he pointed fingers and denied all responsibility even though he knew Martin had mental issues before the season started.....being a new HC dealing with a sensitive situation like that with all eyes on him, not an easy thing to do...The bottom line is can you win, no excuses when it comes to personnel......I don't think its playoffs or he fired but its close to that....if the team has a chance to make the playoffs and it plays like it did last yr in the final two games then he has to go......

I think Philbin was good in his first yr and not so good in his second. I do think he deserved to coach a 3rd only because when you hire a HC you should give him at least 3 yrs to prove he is the guy for the job....Last yr he started great, then the team went into a funk and then the mess that was Richie became national news....he did a good job getting the team to win games during that time but I thought he handled the scrutiny poorly.....he pointed fingers and denied all responsibility even though he knew Martin had mental issues before the season started.....being a new HC dealing with a sensitive situation like that with all eyes on him, not an easy thing to do...The bottom line is can you win, no excuses when it comes to personnel......I don't think its playoffs or he fired but its close to that....if the team has a chance to make the playoffs and it plays like it did last yr in the final two games then he has to go......

Yes he knew Martin had mental issues (and probably about his alleged drug abuse too) and on top of that he didn't think Martin had the skills to be a NFL caliber left tackle. I'm sure Philbin was mind boggled that Ireland, who knew of those issues too, didn't bother to get him a suitable option at LT. But what the hell could Philbin do about it short of quitting (which, I'm sure would have made many very happy on here)?

I think right now he's mediocre, we'll find out in 2014. this is a make or break year for him.

The lack of urgency during the bye week was complete mess. Among a buckett full of crap.
He has this year to get some grit and change the things he needs to. Will he is the Question.

I think right now he's mediocre, we'll find out in 2014. this is a make or break year for him.

I stand by what I said during the season that if Ryan and Philbin go 1-1 vs each other then they are likely both mediocre. I do think they are both capable of winning the SB with the right QB though. I'm sure they both had a hand in selecting the QBs they are with so at the end of the day I have no problem firing Philbin for being saddled with an average QB (partly his own doing) nor would I have a problem if he was given another shot with a new QB like what the Jets did with Ryan.

The thing is, like it or not variance and momentum are almost always going to play a role in a coaches career (unless your name is Jim Harbaugh), John Harbaugh's season played out almost exactly the same as Joe Philbin's but nobody questions his coaching ability because he's already had a run of good seasons. If that was Harbaugh's second season I'm sure more than a few Baltimore fans would be calling him a **** coach and want his head on a platter. This is why I have a lot of respect for Saban leaving the Dolphins, he knew he ****ed up the QB decision and I'm sure he had the confidence in himself that he could right the ship with enough time, but the train was already going in the wrong direction and it would have taken years to undo the damage and get it going in the right direction again. If Philbin has another 8-8 season or even 9-7 it'll probably be in his and the teams best interest to move on from each other and start fresh, and that'll be true even if Philbin goes on to win a SB with his new team.

I stand by what I said during the season that if Ryan and Philbin go 1-1 vs each other then they are likely both mediocre. I do think they are both capable of winning the SB with the right QB though. I'm sure they both had a hand in selecting the QBs they are with so at the end of the day I have no problem firing Philbin for being saddled with an average QB (partly his own doing) nor would I have a problem if he was given another shot with a new QB like what the Jets did with Ryan.

The thing is, like it or not variance and momentum are almost always going to play a role in a coaches career (unless your name is Jim Harbaugh), John Harbaugh's season played out almost exactly the same as Joe Philbin's but nobody questions his coaching ability because he's already had a run of good seasons. If that was Harbaugh's second season I'm sure more than a few Baltimore fans would be calling him a **** coach and want his head on a platter. This is why I have a lot of respect for Saban leaving the Dolphins, he knew he ****ed up the QB decision and I'm sure he had the confidence in himself that he could right the ship with enough time, but the train was already going in the wrong direction and it would have taken years to undo the damage and get it going in the right direction again. If Philbin has another 8-8 season or even 9-7 it'll probably be in his and the teams best interest to move on from each other and start fresh, and that'll be true even if Philbin goes on to win a SB with his new team.

philbin had the much more talented team and in the biggest game of his career his team was whipped by rex's team.

rex was 1-1 vs. belichick, is he an all time great? the head to head over a year or 2 tells us very little.

Rex is an outstanding HC, one of the best in the game and his best work came in the last 2 years where we probably should have won 3-4 games a year and he had us in playoff contention in dec in both seasons.

philbin had the much more talented team and in the biggest game of his career his team was whipped by rex's team.

rex was 1-1 vs. belichick, is he an all time great? the head to head over a year or 2 tells us very little.

Rex is an outstanding HC, one of the best in the game and his best work came in the last 2 years where we probably should have won 3-4 games a year and he had us in playoff contention in dec in both seasons.

You forgetting that Philbin was 1-1 vs Belichick too? In arguably both coaches biggest game of the season to that point.

I didn't say going 1-1 vs Belichick makes you an all time great, I said going 1-1 vs each other and each others crap rosters likely means neither are great.

And they are now 2-2 against each other. They are 2-2 vs each others crap QBs. And they are 2-2 vs each others crap rosters.

Back
Top Bottom