Philbin- Good Coach or Bad Coach | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philbin- Good Coach or Bad Coach

You forgetting that Philbin was 1-1 vs Belichick too? In arguably both coaches biggest game of the season to that point.

I didn't say going 1-1 vs Belichick makes you an all time great, I said going 1-1 vs each other and each others crap rosters likely means neither are great.

And they are now 2-2 against each other. They are 2-2 vs each others crap QBs. And they are 2-2 vs each others crap rosters.

that game was big for Miami at that point, not nearly as big for NE.

Miami's roster was much better than our roster last year and we finished ahead of you. Your roster wasn't as good in 2012 but it was better than ours.

that game was big for Miami at that point, not nearly as big for NE.

Miami's roster was much better than our roster last year and we finished ahead of you. Your roster wasn't as good in 2012 but it was better than ours.

I don't know who's roster was better in 2012, thats like arguing who's **** stinks the least. The point is they were both terrible and a good coach should find a way to beat a terrible roster. As far as Rex Ryan being a great coach -- he's done absolutely nothing since losing his pro-bowler Revis. A player of Revis' caliber can have a similar impact as having a good QB. Thats why I think if Revis can back to anything close to his old form the rest of the division is already ****ed, chances are high that both Philbin and Ryan will be getting pink slips next winter.

I don't know who's roster was better in 2012, thats like arguing who's **** stinks the least. The point is they were both terrible and a good coach should find a way to beat a terrible roster. As far as Rex Ryan being a great coach -- he's done absolutely nothing since losing his pro-bowler Revis. A player of Revis' caliber can have a similar impact as having a good QB. Thats why I think if Revis can back to anything close to his old form the rest of the division is already ****ed, chances are high that both Philbin and Ryan will be getting pink slips next winter.

he lost Revis week 3 or 4 of the 2012 season and had a top 10 D w/o him and had his team in the playoff hunt in Dec w/ Chaz Schilens starting.

last year most thought the Jets would win 3 games, he had them in the playoff hunt until week 16 and finished in 2nd place.

NE owns the division as long as Brady is playing and healthy. we are all playing for 2nd place and a WC.

he lost Revis week 3 or 4 of the 2012 season and had a top 10 D w/o him and had his team in the playoff hunt in Dec w/ Chaz Schilens starting.

last year most thought the Jets would win 3 games, he had them in the playoff hunt until week 16 and finished in 2nd place.

NE owns the division as long as Brady is playing and healthy. we are all playing for 2nd place and a WC.

Being in the playoff hunt doesn't excite me, 90% of teams are still in the playoff hunt week 16...

Being in the playoff hunt doesn't excite me, 90% of teams are still in the playoff hunt week 16...

when you have Chaz Schilens it's exciting, when you have an up and down rookie QB and no talent around him it's miraculous. He's proven he can win w/ talent and keep talent-less teams afloat. I guarantee you Miami is in the playoffs if he was your coach last year.

when you have Chaz Schilens it's exciting, when you have an up and down rookie QB and no talent around him it's miraculous. He's proven he can win w/ talent and keep talent-less teams afloat. I guarantee you Miami is in the playoffs if he was your coach last year.

You seem to guaratee a lot of things that cant be proven...welcome back:lol2:

Ive seen a pervading attitude that Philbin deserves a 3rd year. I have to ask: why?

What elite qualities have you all seen from this guy? Im asking legitimately, let me know so i can search for it myself. Its sure as hell isnt his record. Granted, he didnt have much to work with on the talent side, but others coaches have done more with less. His ability to get players to buy in? Sorry, after watching the team collapse during the last 2 games against inferior opponents i cant buy that. I just dont see anything there to justify a third season. At least, not enough to say he "deserves" it.

Most teams have their coaches in the crosshairs after 2 years. If they havent found shown some successful qualities, they are gone. If they survive its only because an assistant coach has been sacrificed. Despite Philbin's idiotic misgivings, we made such a sacrifice with Mike Sherman. Philbin's had 2 years on the field and (going on) 3 years off the field. Not only am i unimpressed, but the longer the man stays the less of an opinion i have of him. Its uncanny how he consistently makes the wrong call. I would have no problems if Ross fired him today. Even in mid-April i think we could hire someone who would prove to be better then Philbin.

Mods, it seems someone has hacked into NyJunc's account and is impersonating him. I have it on good authority that he was forever done with this site, would never post in here again, was signing up for a Bills/Patriots site, and our forum would fall apart soon afterwards.

Please look into this matter. Thanks.

Mods, it seems someone has hacked into NyJunc's account and is impersonating him. I have it on good authority that he was forever done with this site, would never post in here again, was signing up for a Bills/Patriots site, and our forum would fall apart soon afterwards.

Please look into this matter. Thanks.

I appreciate you being a fan but I never said any of those things other than maybe not coming back and maybe signing up at Pats board.

but I do appreciate you being a fan.

I appreciate you being a fan but I never said any of those things other than maybe not coming back and maybe signing up at Pats board.

but I do appreciate you being a fan.

Originally Posted by nyjunk on tgg
I have never posted on a Pats site so I have no idea what you are talking about. The funny thing is to fill the void of leaving the phins site I was thinking of joining a Pats site but I have never posted at one before. why would you say that?

I take a lot of crap and I understand why but for me to get suspended when I get attacked all the time and never complain was wrong. The board will go on w/o me but it won't be the same.

Mods, it seems this imposter hasnt discovered all of Junc's accounts, look into the matter before he brushes up on all Junc's views(free hint: buttfumble is a deity and any team that passes on him will forever be known as fools except for the Jets who totally understandably cut a "franchise quarterback") and we can never tell the difference. Thanks again.

Ive seen a pervading attitude that Philbin deserves a 3rd year. I have to ask: why?

What elite qualities have you all seen from this guy? Im asking legitimately, let me know so i can search for it myself. Its sure as hell isnt his record. Granted, he didnt have much to work with on the talent side, but others coaches have done more with less. His ability to get players to buy in? Sorry, after watching the team collapse during the last 2 games against inferior opponents i cant buy that. I just dont see anything there to justify a third season. At least, not enough to say he "deserves" it.

Most teams have their coaches in the crosshairs after 2 years. If they havent found shown some successful qualities, they are gone. If they survive its only because an assistant coach has been sacrificed. Despite Philbin's idiotic misgivings, we made such a sacrifice with Mike Sherman. Philbin's had 2 years on the field and (going on) 3 years off the field. Not only am i unimpressed, but the longer the man stays the less of an opinion i have of him. Its uncanny how he consistently makes the wrong call. I would have no problems if Ross fired him today. Even in mid-April i think we could hire someone who would prove to be better then Philbin.

We fire Philbin at the end of the year and Keep Hickey. Hickey drives away all the top coaching candidates who want to bring their own guy in, and we get the coaching equivalent of this year's hiring of Hickey. Hickey gets canned 2 years after that, but the coach stays, and drives away all the top GM candidates who want to bring in someone who they feel comfortable working with, and share a common vision of how a team should be built. Repeat until Ross dies.

Mods, it seems this imposter hasnt discovered all of Junc's accounts, look into the matter before he brushes up on all Junc's views(free hint: buttfumble is a deity and any team that passes on him will forever be known as fools except for the Jets who totally understandably cut a "franchise quarterback") and we can never tell the difference. Thanks again.

You really struggle w/ reading, huh?

again, thanks for being a fan.

We fire Philbin at the end of the year and Keep Hickey. Hickey drives away all the top coaching candidates who want to bring their own guy in, and we get the coaching equivalent of this year's hiring of Hickey. Hickey gets canned 2 years after that, but the coach stays, and drives away all the top GM candidates who want to bring in someone who they feel comfortable working with, and share a common vision of how a team should be built. Repeat until Ross dies.

Its heartbreaking how much truth there is to this post. Ultimately thats where the problem is: our owner. Our GM search was laughable. That laughter turned cynical after candidates we liked starting taking identical jobs to the ones they turned down with us(Ray Farmer and the Browns) or jobs with less authority(Jason Licht and the Bucs).

Ross has proven to be so inept im half convinced its in the teams best interest if the locals fight his latest stadium renovation proposal. I normally dont give a **** how an owner spends his own money, but if its slapped down theres a fair chance Ross just washes his hands of the team and sells. If he wins and fights for a Superbowl, that means hes tied to this team another 4-5 years until after we host it. Thats what...3 more hire screw ups? 4? Ugh.

What elite qualities have you all seen from this guy? Im asking legitimately, let me know so i can search for it myself. .

His game management decisions are elite. The only things I would consider clear mistakes would be attempting the field goal at Pittsburgh in the blizzard before the half and punting on 4th and 1 at around their 40 vs Cincy (the play before Wake ended the game with a walk off safety, just to show I'm not being results oriented).

He wins at 93% when he gets a good performance from his QB (passer rating 88+) which is good for second in the league only to Jim Harbaugh.

He deserves a third year because with a god awful GM it apparently takes more than 2 years to overhaul the entire team to fit his philosophy, which is the opposite of what Tony Sparano (and Rex Ryan) ran who relied on running the ball and stopping the run. I believe Philbin's philosophy is predicated on winning the passer rating differential -- if our QB outplays their QB we'll win. The philosophy may be too progressive for the NFL at this time, especially if Tannehill doesn't step up, but I want to see it through. If Tannehill becomes elite I could see us winning games by 40-50 points with this philosophy, which is a far cry from Wanny-ball.

I noticed you have a problem with the lack of perceived creativity in his game planning, well Philbin is a system coach and you're going to be disappointed if you like a guy that designs illustrious formations to account for a specific player from a specific team. But then I believe Pete Carroll is a system coach too and he didn't do too badly for himself...

Back
Top Bottom