Philosophical Changes I'd Love to See | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philosophical Changes I'd Love to See

Agreed. The issues with the offense over the second half of the season and lack of adjustments are more about lack of options due to the injuries in the OL particularly at C. Those injuries limited options. You can't make adjustments if the players you have can't execute them. Fans just saw that things didn't work and jump to the assumption that nothing was tried or nothing was changed. That's just a lack of film work and knowledge from people who think McD not making play calls will improve things.
Sorry but it has more to do with the Dolphins offense sucking against good teams in general. They were bad earlier in the season against the Eagles and Chiefs before injuries played a big factor.

Sorry but it has more to do with the Dolphins offense sucking against good teams in general. They were bad earlier in the season against the Eagles and Chiefs before injuries played a big factor.
No, we were injury riddled against the Eagles and outplayed the Chiefs on film, particularly after the second half adjustments.

No, we were injury riddled against the Eagles and outplayed the Chiefs on film, particularly after the second half adjustments.
Sorry but 10 offensive points against the Eagles and 14 points against the Chiefs isn't going to get it done. The defense played good against the Chiefs but the offense didn't.

Here are a few..

1. More Man-to-Man Coverage on Defense
Generally, this team won on defense and I'm pretty happy with this group. But the better quarterbacks picked zone apart. I think with Miami's pass rush, going to more man would create turnovers and more negative plays. Switch it up. Ramsey is good in a man system. Find another corner, if necessary, who also excels in man.

2. Focus on Building a Successful Short-yardage Game
A lot of us have been harping on this for years now. Have to be able to run the ball when everyone in the stadium knows it's a run.

Couple of points here. On the push play, Miami needs someone other than Tua, with his injury history. Maybe Skylar Thompson, but it doesn't even have to be a quarterback. It could be Seiler. This play is all about leverage, winning in the trenches, and flat out desire.

Fix the offensive line once and for all and maybe add a power back.

3. McDaniel Should Give Up Play Calling
If the non-competitive playoff loss showed one thing, it's that play calling needs to come off McDaniel's plate. He can still install the offense and be involved, but McDaniel needs help. No way we should be seeing clock management issues when the team should be in the 2-minute drill. Does Miami have a speed up offense?

That's basically it. Obviously, I'm not really going into personnel but do believe the team needs to add physical players.

Don't disagree, but man coverage has the DBs with their backs to the QB. Top running QBs and OCs would love that.

Their offense was dogshit against good teams but keep pretending they weren’t!
The offense was not great but the defense was worse, that 48-20 blowout was because the defense was crap. Tua was not at his best, so fix the defense and the Dolphins are Superbowl bound, even the Kansas City was just a fist fight but the defense just didn't have enough.

The offense was not great but the defense was worse, that 48-20 blowout was because the defense was crap. Tua was not at his best, so fix the defense and the Dolphins are Superbowl bound, even the Kansas City was just a fist fight but the defense just didn't have enough.
Their defense carried them in their last two games against the Bills and Chiefs. The offense put up a total of 21 points combined and that is the main reason they lost both those games.

Take play calling duties away from the guy who had the #1 ranked offense in the league? Hill, Mostert, Waddle, Achane and the entire offensive line was injured the last month of the season and barely could practice. But yeat, the problem is the coach and let’s trade our or bowl qb

This is an example of why I HATE 17 game stats. The last 5-6 games, the O was bad and getting worse, but propped up by early games.
Last 4 games (includes NYJ). 2H = 21 pts - a little over 5ppg. 4Q = 12pts. 4Q = 1 TD. ONE in 4 games and that was a drive when Miami had the ball at the 17 at the start of 4Q. 12 1Ds in the 4Q 4 games and 7 of those in the DAL game. The other 3 games, a total of 5 1Ds in 4Q.
I'll not re-hash the multiple threads discussing Mcd's predictability, his addiction to 2-3 plays, his ignoring play types 31 other teams use . . . The O was elite . . . until teams figured it out. Miami needs a new OC or an asst OC with the gravitas to send Mcd to the locker room if he resorts to '23

Sorry but 10 offensive points against the Eagles and 14 points against the Chiefs isn't going to get it done. The defense played good against the Chiefs but the offense didn't.
Nobody claimed that the point output was sufficient. But jumping to the conclusion that it was a play calling issue and that the best option would be to have a different play caller is the part that's questionable.

No way I'm taking play-calling away from a guy who just spit out back to back 8+ YPA seasons as a rookie head coach... Like why?

Nobody claimed that the point output was sufficient. But jumping to the conclusion that it was a play calling issue and that the best option would be to have a different play caller is the part that's questionable.
There are a lot of factors that contribute to it but I would say that McDaniel has played a part in it. It seems like he struggles to adjust against the better teams. The offense needs to be able to attack in different ways instead of always relying on Tyreek Hill.

An O that was consistently worse in 2H and consistently worse in 4Q can't be blamed on injuries, penalties, or dropped passes.
And everyone here can recite Mcd's weaknesses. I'm not against him as OC, but he needs help in managing stress (stress lock) and thinking 2-3 plays ahead. He has shown he can field a productive O. He needs to learn how to be an OC

I agreed with this sentiment when people were crying about it earlier in the season…

But the lack of offensive adjustments in the second half of games was eye opening.

Who gives a **** what your offense was ranked when you aren’t putting up more than 17ppg against good teams.. or worse, 7pts in the playoffs.

Who gives a **** about all the injuries to the offensive line and dinged up offensive play makers that greatly affected those games, too, apparently. It's not like any of that played a huge factor at all, right? :shoo:

Apparently the Dolphins offense is still expected to put up 30+ points when facing the better defensive lines in the league while down 3-4 starting lineman, and even a backup or two.

Go back and review each game the Dolphins lost and/or where the offense struggled to score then tell me how many starters were injured or out at some point in the game?

Tell me how many games the Chiefs or any other upper level team dominated and put up 30+ points against top tier defenses while missing an equal number of key offensive starters, especially along the line.

I seem to recall the Chiefs offense struggling to move the ball and score a lot last season, despite fielding a vastly superior (and healthy) offensive line to Miami's and I also recall the 49ers taking a 3-game dump in the middle of the season when their LT Trent Williams got hurt and both Deebo and McCaffrey were dinged up. Suddenly Brock Purdy and that offense didn't look so good.

You guys don't seem to believe that stuff matters, but it does. You refer to it as an "excuse" when it is indeed a valid reason why production took a hit. Well, I say that solely blaming coaching for the dip in production is also an "excuse".

One Philosophical change i would like to see is to discontinue the rewarding of mediocrity. Crossman and Bailey should be at the Citgo.

Lol remember when TJ Mcdonald was extended by miami before even playing a meaningful down?

Back
Top Bottom