Philosophical Changes I'd Love to See | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Philosophical Changes I'd Love to See

Yes, there is a chance that Tua (and the entire offense) would perform better behind a good o-line. However, when was the last time that Miami had a highly ranked physically dominating o-line? Ever since Philbin, Miami's o-lines have been a little below average at best, to historically bad at worst. And, that historically bad o-line of 2021 was the result of Grier having ten 1st and 2nd Rounds picks plus later picks in the 2020 and 2021 drafts, along with a ton of space under the salary cap.

For the 2022 season, Grier signed an injury-prone LT who always misses games, but he didn't bother to make sure that the roster had a competent replacement for when Armstead gets injured. For the 2023 season, they used Guard turned Center Williams at Center again which was okay, but Grier decided that he didn't need a "real" Center on the active roster at all, so when Williams got hurt, Eichenberg, who shouldn't even be on the team, had to play Center. Plus, Grier got extremely lucky that Jackson was decent at RT this past season, as before he either sucked or was hurt.

IOW, for those who think the offense just needs a better o-line, just who is going to build this better line? It's definitely not Grier!

This is the uncomfortable question fans avoid when the choose to argue over the QB. Finding a productive pocket passer opens a 10- or 15-year window which all but guarantees a few seasons of Conference Championship / Super Bowl contention. That's not a problem for the Dolphins and I have little doubt Tua will be re-signed long-term because of that reality.

The OL is another reality...

It's one thing for late-rounders like Isaiah Prince, Larnel Coleman and Ryan Hayes to be non-contributors. Little is expected of those types.

But mid-rounders like Isaac Asiata, Solomon Kindley, Michael Deiter and Liam Eichenberg...there's a theme being established there. Robert Hunt is the only real hit and was taken just outside R1 at selection #39.

Since coming on as GM in '16, Grier has drafted 2 OL among the 11 pics he's had to work with in R1. For those counting, I'm excluding the 12th which we forfeited due to Ross' tampering.

Those 2 selections include that of Tunsil in '16 which you may discount slightly considering the circumstances. What Grier would've done had such a special prospect as Tunsil not fallen is up for debate. That's 2 picks despite big needs on the OL. That isn't terrible, TBH, but it's not a lot either.

Selections like Waddle, Phillips and the picks sent to KC in the Hill trade all could've been used on OL. Sewell might've been a better pick over Waddle in hindsight--I know it was my default at the time. I think the roster would be better today if we could make that 1-for-1 swap, but that's after having acquired Hill. Still, you double-dipped at WR instead of using 1 of your 3 high picks on an OL. Most will look at the production of Hill and call it a win but finding real value is more complicated that that. Paying for production is not finding value as much as it's exchanging one currency for another.

Another problem I see in Grier's history is his drafting 1 OL among the 15 picks he had between '17 - '18. Miami had talent on the OL like the aging Mike Pouncey and OT Ja'Wuan James but that didn't mean you couldn't have improved over OTs Jesse Davis and Sam Young or Guard Ted Larsen.

This is clearly an area we have to be serious about and start winning in if we're going to be a real team. I'd get rid of Tyreek right now because the value is high and my QB doesn't need him. Tua's made every WR he's ever played with look as good or better and given them all a chance to raise their stock. Virtually all have declined in value post-Tua: Jeudy, Ruggs, Hollins, Gesicki, Parker, Wilson, etc. Hill has unquestionably become a more respected stock after 2 seasons with Tua having risen to the level "NFL MVP" discussion thru 2 years of elite production. You could even argue Devonta Smiths' highest value was the period following his 1,856-yd, 23-TD Heisman year at Bama. The common theme is the QB.

I'd sink the money into Wilkins and use the pick on OL.

It doesn't take a genius to see where things are mis-allocated on the Dolphins.

Last edited:
Here are a few..

1. More Man-to-Man Coverage on Defense
Generally, this team won on defense and I'm pretty happy with this group. But the better quarterbacks picked zone apart. I think with Miami's pass rush, going to more man would create turnovers and more negative plays. Switch it up. Ramsey is good in a man system. Find another corner, if necessary, who also excels in man.

2. Focus on Building a Successful Short-yardage Game
A lot of us have been harping on this for years now. Have to be able to run the ball when everyone in the stadium knows it's a run.

Couple of points here. On the push play, Miami needs someone other than Tua, with his injury history. Maybe Skylar Thompson, but it doesn't even have to be a quarterback. It could be Seiler. This play is all about leverage, winning in the trenches, and flat out desire.

Fix the offensive line once and for all and maybe add a power back.

3. McDaniel Should Give Up Play Calling
If the non-competitive playoff loss showed one thing, it's that play calling needs to come off McDaniel's plate. He can still install the offense and be involved, but McDaniel needs help. No way we should be seeing clock management issues when the team should be in the 2-minute drill. Does Miami have a speed up offense?

That's basically it. Obviously, I'm not really going into personnel but do believe the team needs to add physical players.
Good post! I would only add one thing for perspective on your last point about coach. Although he was always been (or mostly) on the offense of side he has never called plays during the games until he reached Miami. My point is it still a learning process for him. I agree it has hampered the team at times, I feel he should have an offense of coordinator capable of calling the plays. I see no reason why the plays should not be called without McDaniel being involved. This way when things are tense he could put his two cents in, and most importantly gain experience, so he has a chance to improve without the pressure. Just my opinion and maybe it wouldn't work. I don't know but at least it is proactive. Basically growing pains here.

This is the uncomfortable question fans avoid when the choose to argue over the QB. Finding a productive pocket passer opens a 10- or 15-year window which all but guarantees a few seasons of Conference Championship / Super Bowl contention. That's not a problem for the Dolphins and I have little doubt Tua will be re-signed long-term because of that reality.

The OL is another reality...

It's one thing for late-rounders like Isaiah Prince, Larnel Coleman and Ryan Hayes to be non-contributors. Little is expected of those types.

But mid-rounders like Isaac Asiata, Solomon Kindley, Michael Deiter and Liam Eichenberg...there's a theme being established there. Robert Hunt is the only real hit and was taken just outside R1 at selection #39.

Since coming on as GM in '16, Grier has drafted 2 OL among the 11 pics he's had to work with in R1. For those counting, I'm excluding the 12th which we forfeited due to Ross' tampering.

Those 2 selections include that of Tunsil in '16 which you may discount slightly considering the circumstances. What Grier would've done had such a special prospect as Tunsil not fallen is up for debate. That's 2 picks despite big needs on the OL. That isn't terrible, TBH, but it's not a lot either.

Selections like Waddle, Phillips and the picks sent to KC in the Hill trade all could've been used on OL. Sewell might've been a better pick over Waddle in hindsight--I know it was my default at the time. I think the roster would be better today if we could make that 1-for-1 swap, but that's after having acquired Hill. Still, you double-dipped at WR instead of using 1 of your 3 high picks on an OL. Most will look at the production of Hill and call it a win but finding real value is more complicated that that. Paying for production is not finding value as much as it's exchanging one currency for another.

Another problem I see in Grier's history is his drafting 1 OL among the 15 picks he had between '17 - '18. Miami had talent on the OL like the aging Mike Pouncey and OT Ja'Wuan James but that didn't mean you couldn't have improved over OTs Jesse Davis and Sam Young or Guard Ted Larsen.

This is clearly an area we have to be serious about and start winning in if we're going to be a real team. I'd get rid of Tyreek right now because the value is high and my QB doesn't need him. Tua's made every WR he's ever played with look as good or better and given them all a chance to raise their stock. Virtually all have declined in value post-Tua: Jeudy, Ruggs, Hollins, Gesicki, Parker, Wilson, etc. Hill has unquestionably become a more respected stock after 2 seasons with Tua having risen to the level "NFL MVP" discussion thru 2 years of elite production. You could even argue Devonta Smiths' highest value was the period following his 1,856-yd, 23-TD Heisman year at Bama. The common theme is the QB.

I'd sink the money into Wilkins and use the pick on OL.

It doesn't take a genius to see where things are mis-allocated on the Dolphins.

Sorry, I don't ding Grier for the OL woes. Does he get SOME blame? Certainly. But the HC/OC/OL coach, scouts do FAR more tape and evaluation than Grier and he will not/does not overrule those decisions. If all those people want Creed, he will not overrule and pick Iggy. Blaming Grier for lack of OL drafts is going too far.
And I have to ask . . "picks between '17 - 18." What comes between '17 and '18?
picks he had between '17 - '18

Good post! I would only add one thing for perspective on your last point about coach. Although he was always been (or mostly) on the offense of side he has never called plays during the games until he reached Miami. My point is it still a learning process for him. I agree it has hampered the team at times, I feel he should have an offense of coordinator capable of calling the plays. I see no reason why the plays should not be called without McDaniel being involved. This way when things are tense he could put his two cents in, and most importantly gain experience, so he has a chance to improve without the pressure. Just my opinion and maybe it wouldn't work. I don't know but at least it is proactive. Basically growing pains here.
Coordinators who become Head Coaches usually have years of experience calling plays, making adjustments, gameplanning for upcoming opponents, and managing their side of the ball during games. However, McDaniel has none of this experience, so his "growing pains" are going to last far longer than if Miami had hired an experienced Coordinator.

IOW, McDaniel was not ready to be a Head Coach, but apparently, Ross and Grier don't care about experience. IMO, allowing McDaniel to learn on the job how to be not only a Head Coach but also an Offensive Coordinator is going to be a waste of who knows how many years.

So much I could say to this Ray. When did you get here again? 2018? Oh yeah. You love Gase. NO ONE HERE SHOULD EVER LISTEN TO YOUR ATTEMPT TO SHADE us who've been here through the suck for more than two decades. I wonder when/who will be your next favorite team...
You joined in 2020??? Ray was here 2 years before you!!

You joined in 2020??? Ray was here 2 years before you!!
Hey person trying to jump into conversations from a while back, myob. I've been here on finheaven since the early 2000s. I've been a fan since I was old enough to actually pay attention in 93. So gets ta stepin

Point 2 is the big change for me.

I like agreessive minded coaches but stop outsmarting yourself. If its 4th and 1 on the goal line, don't throw a fade to a 5'10" receiver....

I understand we are more a finess than bully team at the moment but there is nothing wrong with just running up the gut when you need a yard or so.

Overall, I think this is a great post even if there’s a couple of things I disagree with.

- When I initially read that McD might be considering giving up the play calling, I found that interesting and thought it seemed like a pretty logical step, but as I’ve had more time to think about it, I’ve decided that I’d really like to see him continue calling the plays. Not only is McD a very young HC, he’s pretty much still in the infancy stages of being an OC. From an ownership point of view, I think it’s extremely short sighted to hire a guy that young, with little to no experience as an OC or an HC and expect him to have all of the nuances down inside of 24 months. Another way to say it: If you’re gonna hire a guy that young and green, you damn well better be willing to let him grow, find his footing, and push through the rough spots that we’re bound to happen early on. If Ross isn’t willing to go through that process, he had absolutely no business hiring McD and should have turned his focus to one of the many retread coaching candidates that are available in bunches each and every off season. I think the adjustments McD has made to facilitate Tua playing behind an Oline that is still pretty bad and lacks serious depth at all 5 Oline positions shows that he is up to the task. There wasn’t one damn media member or Dolphin fan that thought Tua would start each and every game this season and yet he did.

McD could have easily spent the entire season banging his head against the wall and demanding his Oline to perform at a level that they couldn’t realistically achieve. Instead, he developed a passing game predicated on Tua getting the ball out in under 3 seconds. It’s just my opinion, but that shows me that McD is a guy who’s going to build his system around the strengths of his players, which is a trait shared by any HC in the NFL that’s worth a damn. I honestly believe that if the front office can continue to deliver Oline improvements, McD will be able to run a great offense as the play caller.

I also think the play clock issues are a massively overplayed subject. While certainly still not perfect, I saw improvement from his first year, which leads me to believe we’ll probably see more improvement next season. Not only that, you’ll be hard pressed to watch a single NFL game without seeing a QB burn a timeout because the play didn’t come in on time. Hell, in all honestly, you’d be hard pressed to watch a game and see it happen less than 2 to 3 times. I doubt there’s a site that tracks that stat, but if there were, I’d be really interested in seeing how many times McD had to burn a TO as the clock ran out compared to the rest of the NFL. It would be extremely interesting to see how he compares with other coaches.
Haven't posted here for a while now but I just wanted to say this post nailed it for me. The amount of people here who refuse to let people grow and learn is remarkable. Belicheck didn't win right away and is considered the GOAT. Reid was let go from Philly. McDaniel improved every single glaring red flag from his first year and I think we continue to see him get better and better each year

Take play calling duties away from the guy who had the #1 ranked offense in the league? Hill, Mostert, Waddle, Achane and the entire offensive line was injured the last month of the season and barely could practice. But yeat, the problem is the coach and let’s trade our or bowl qb
Agreed. The issues with the offense over the second half of the season and lack of adjustments are more about lack of options due to the injuries in the OL particularly at C. Those injuries limited options. You can't make adjustments if the players you have can't execute them. Fans just saw that things didn't work and jump to the assumption that nothing was tried or nothing was changed. That's just a lack of film work and knowledge from people who think McD not making play calls will improve things.

Back
Top Bottom