Post Game Thoughts - @Carolina | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post Game Thoughts - @Carolina

I agree with you. Cutler INT was rough but let's be honest. They did put up 21 points on the number 1 defense that is giving up 17 points a game. They also put up 313 yards of total offense on a defense giving up 274 yards per game. When you consider how god awful the defense was and allowed the Panthers to own the time of possession 24 minutes to 35 minutes. It really wasn't too bad of a performance by the offense.

Then again reading through the game thread all I see is Cutler sucks...get rid of Stinkler....who threw for 2 TD and 1 INT against the best defense in football. While playing behind an O-line that cant block to save its life. Add in that the running game had 2 good runs. 1 for 66 yards and an 11 yard run. Then they promptly gained 23 yards on the other 14 rush attempts. Which is pitifully bad but I blame the O-line. That's squarely where the blame for this offenses struggles belong. Not only do they suck at blocking but they seem to be attempting to set a record with penalties. Most of which seem to negate 1st downs and big plays.
Out of interest, did you watch the game? I did. The stat line is meaningless. He was abysmal. Did you see how far off he was repeatedly with some of his throws? Good God. Commentators couldn't even tell who he was passing to at times.

You quote time of possession - that's on the offense. Not the defense. It's up to the offense to keep hold of the ball, and build some drives. It's really very simplistic to state that they put up 21 points on the number 1 defense etc. 7 of those points came in complete and utter garbage time. Don't even know how many Carolina key starters were still on the field at that point. And half of them were probably strolling around.

The game completely and utterly turned on the pick. D had just put up a big stand, as they've been doing all year. And then they turn around and instantly see one of the most bone headed picks of the last while .. I think it was just the final straw for some of them,the heart went out of them.

The O-Line was actually giving Cutler quite a bit of time last night, so that wasn't the problem.

Bear in mind, I have not been on Cutler too much this year, and consistently been bashing the OL to my mate, but this wasn't on them. The game hinged on Cutler. He was dismal.

I agree with you. Cutler INT was rough but let's be honest. They did put up 21 points on the number 1 defense that is giving up 17 points a game.

Given we were getting blown out I don't think you can make this kind of evaluation. D doesn't play the same when lead is so wide a margin.

The O-Line was actually giving Cutler quite a bit of time last night, so that wasn't the problem.
Yep, Mr Consistency found a way to undermine better play by our piecemeal OL.

1. Let's be honest, last night's game was about as expected.
2. I like how Carolina is constructed. They had fired their GM, Dave Gettleman. I think he has a good eye for building a team. I'd be interested in him, but he is abrasive. He supposedly has horrible bed side manor with players, and they detested him. He got rid of Josh Norman without compensation in his prime and with bizarre timing where he did not have a replacement. Franchise legend Steve Smith was disrespected on his way out. But, as far as building a roster, he'd be a massive upgrade. I like the physical team he has built. Stud linebackers. We treat linebacker as an afterthought.
3. Ju'Wuan James missing at right tackle was a non-issue and that is telling. I didn't notice any bit of a damn difference without him. It's not moving the needle there unless you have some hapless sad sack like Clabo or some of the cast offs we had there prior to James. I don't see him as worth $9 M. In a salary cap regime, you can use that money more wisely. If he takes 5 years for $32 million I'd keep him. That's probably more realistic. If not, Eric Smith (who has some nasty to him) and Jesse Davis could compete for right tackle and backup.
4. Young corners usually take time to develop. It's not a position where you normally walk in and excel right away. Xavien Howard is not a finished product yet. He's taking his lumps now, but let's see how he improves.
5. Cordrea Tankerlsey, however, has been a big surprise. I like how competitive he is. He looks really good out there with tight coverage, good hips, competitive attitude, and willingness to tackle.
6. Julius Thomas is a straight up stiff. He can't move laterally or with quickness at all and hence lacks athleticism.
7. Speaking of poor agility, Kiko played better earlier in the season, but that was just a terrible performance. Holy smokes was that bad football in every way imaginable. He couldn't cover, runners blew by him like he was not there, etc. The Pats will put a bullseye on Kiko. They will try to get Burkhead or another RB or TE on him all day unless we change it up. Overall, our underneath coverage is awful.
8. TJ McDonald was cracking heads all over the place. I like the toughness and physicality he brought.
9. I don't care what hollow stats Jay Cutler had. He missed open targets and was wild.
10. The whole argument that football players cannot function in Miami because it is a party place and has hot women is laughable. Tell that to Manny Fernandez and his buddies. The fact is, if you love football, you thrive anywhere. Ed Reed, Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, these types of winners would have a killer instinct no matter where they are. Miami may need more of those guys. It's not related to how nice South Florida is.
11. Reshad Jones was not as bad as Kiko, but we needed more out of him. Where the hell was he on some of those long runs?
12. The defensive ends looked poor against the run too.
13. Cam Wake has been asleep for awhile. You have to take advantage of that right tackle.
14. Ted Larsen may have been an upgrade but it's not as if he's some stud. He seemed to help stabilize Tunsil. As disappointing as Tunsil is, he did have a nice block on the Drake run. Gase has vouched for Tunsil in the sense that Tunsil wants to be good. Let's hope that's right. Realistically, let's see if he can get stronger in the off season and if we see improvement at LT from him. I think we focus on upgrading over Bushrod and Pouncey at the least.
15. Man, is Drake explosive. The guy has a hell of a burst. His quick acceleration is something else.
16. l like Landry, but his production is not commensurate with top 5 receiver money. If he wants that, we will need another solution in the middle of the field. Maybe a Mark Andrews in the draft.
17. I do think we need to find Parker and Stills more. Parker is maligned but he can make plays. Stills is really slippery. This is a missed opportunity. Instead of all these high volume screens, let these guys make more plays, early and often. Too often we look at these guys in garbage time. The stats don't support it but we can have a scary receiver corps that can give defenses fits.
18. Bobby McCain is underappreciated. You don't have a boundary to protect you when you are covering the slot. He's exposed on all sides and trying to guard quick, usually savvy guys. He's improving and is doing a tough job. People only notice him when he gets beat. He's out there competing.
19. This team needs an infusion of toughness at interior offensive line and linebacker, a legit TE, an alpha running back, etc. This will require multiple drafts even if they hit. We need to stop wasting money and cap room on free agents who become sedentary after they get paid.

Last edited:
2. I like how Carolina is constructed. They had fired their GM, Dave Gettleman. I think he has a good eye for building a team. I'd be interested in him, but he is abrasive. He supposedly has horrible bed side manor with players, and they detested him. He got rid of Josh Norman without compensation in his prime and with bizarre timing where he did not have a replacement. Franchise legend Steve Smith was disrespected on his way out. But, as far as building a roster, he'd be a massive upgrade. I like the physical team he has built. Stud linebackers. We treat linebacker as an afterthought.
3. Ju'Wuan James missing at right tackle was a non-issue and that is telling. I didn't notice any bit of a damn difference without him. It's not moving the needle there unless you have some hapless sad sack like Clabo or some of the cast offs we had there prior to James. I don't see him as worth $9 M. In a salary cap regime, you can use that money more wisely. If he takes 5 years for $32 million I'd keep him. That's probably more realistic. If not, Eric Smith (who has some nasty to him) and Jesse Davis could compete for right tackle and backup.
4. Young corners usually take time to develop. It's not a position where you normally walk in and excel right away. Xavien Howard is not a finished product yet. He's taking his lumps now, but let's see how he improves.
5. Cordrea Tankerlsey, however, has been a big surprise. I like how competitive he is. He looks really good out there with tight coverage, good hips, competitive attitude, and willingness to tackle.
6. Julius Thomas is a straight up stiff. He can't move laterally or with quickness at all and hence lacks athleticism.
7. Speaking of poor agility, Kiko played better earlier in the season, but that was just a terrible performance. Holy smokes was that bad football in every way imaginable. He couldn't cover, runners blew by him like he was not there, etc. The Pats will put a bullseye on Kiko. They will try to get Burkhead or another RB or TE on him all day unless we change it up. Overall, our underneath coverage is awful.
8. TJ McDonald was cracking heads all over the place. I like the toughness and physicality he brought.
9. I don't care what hollow stats Jay Cutler had. He missed open targets and was wild.
10. The whole argument that football players cannot function in Miami because it is a party place and has hot women is laughable. Tell that to Manny Fernandez and his buddies. The fact is, if you love football, you thrive anywhere. Ed Reed, Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, these types of winners would have a killer instinct no matter where they are. Miami may need more of those guys. It's not related to how nice South Florida is.
11. Reshad Jones was not as bad as Kiko, but we needed more out of him. Where the hell was he on some of those long runs?
13. Cam Wake has been asleep for awhile. You have to take advantage of that right tackle.
14. Ted Larsen may have been an upgrade but it's not as if he's some stud. He seemed to help stabilize Tunsil. As disappointing as Tunsil is, he did have a nice block on the Drake run. Gase has vouched for Tunsil in the sense that Tunsil wants to be good. Let's hope that's right. Realistically, let's see if he can get stronger in the off season and if we see improvement at LT from him. I think we focus on upgrading over Bushrod and Pouncey at the least.
15. Man, is Drake explosive. The guy has a hell of a burst. His quick acceleration is something else.
16. l like Landry, but his production is not commensurate with top 5 receiver money. If he wants that, we will need another solution in the middle of the field. Maybe a Mark Andrews in the draft.
17. I do think we need to find Parker and Stills more. Parker is maligned but he can make plays. Stills is really slippery. This is a missed opportunity. Instead of all these high volume screens, let these guys make more plays, early and often. Too often we look at these guys in garbage time. The stats don't support it but we can have a scary receiver corps that can give defenses fits.
18. Bobby McCain is underappreciated. You don't have a boundary to protect you when you are covering the slot. He's exposed on all sides and trying to guard quick, usually savvy guys. He's improving and is doing a tough job. People only notice him when he gets beat. He's out there competing.
19. This team needs an infusion of toughness at interior offensive line and linebacker, a legit TE, an alpha running back, etc. This will require multiple drafts even if they hit. We need to stop wasting money and cap room on free agents who become sedentary after they get paid.
GREAT POST!!!

Not too much disagreement. For now, Gase seems to praise Tunsil, Tannehill, and Williams. Say what you want, but they'll be back as starters. I agree on James. I get JT is seen as a receiving threat, but there has to be a TE somewhere who can run routes, catch, and spell 'block.' At some point someone will start a thread on who Miami should keep/jettison. I predict a LOT of keepers. I don't think there is a lack of talent; I think it's the arrival of 'who cares.'

I was thinking similarly last night. But I've reflected a bit on it - Gase has been taking a lot of flak for being too cautious, not adventurous enough. Then he goes for it, it backfires, and he's lambasted.

Surely it's Cutler who should be taking the lions share of the blame here? Surely when the play is called, there are progressions he has to go through. He doesn't have to throw to his first progression, when he's in double coverage. Maybe the call was OK ish. The execution is what was the problem in my opinion.
Parker was 1on1 on the opposite side with no safty help and he never even looked that way. Not even pre-snap

Was at the game and would like to add some notes.

1) Jesse Davis looked good and showed promise

2) Carolina lined up in press with One deep safety in centerfield ALL NIGHT and Miami didn’t try a deep ball to parker or stills once in iso coverage. Baffles my mind.
Thanks man!

I missed the game and was interested in how Jesse Davis played.

story of our season

z_LRvca_M.gif

you make a lot of good points in your post and i appreciated your perspective.

on this however, i had to respond because i made this point earlier in the thread.

this argument about ed reed and so forth carries weight in college, but not the pros. these are grown men with lots of money and they'll do what they please. football is the ultimate team game. if you have 10 bad apples you are doomed.

it even extends to the coaching staff. (forester).

the only way to combat it is a superman at quarterback who demands respect and hard work because you don’t want to let him down, and his ability is such that it can overcome shortcomings. or, a superman at head coach that does the same.

this is what gase was referring to in his press conference a few weeks ago when he said it starts with our best players having to take it home and own it.

yes temptation exists everywhere but it’s amplified times 100 in miami. very different than seattle, denver, boston, pittsburgh, or some of the other recent successful franchises.

i just think this will be an unwinnable battle unless we get that qb like a manning or brady that can demand hard work on and off the field.

My observations:

-We have no speed on defense
-TJ McDonald cant play assignment football (Cam Newton end around? That was on TJ) or play the run, but he makes big hits so people will probably think he's good
-I liked the use of a FB, Gase should do more with formations...maybe a 2RB backfield or whatever. Anything is better than the 3 standard formations we use.
-Kiko was horrible
-3rd down and 14 and we run the ball instead of going for the 1st down. Carolina ends up scoring on short field position after. Conservative play calling did us in again.
-Cutler throwing balls into the dirt. By far his most inaccurate performance.
-Jermon Bushrod, Ted Larsen, Mike Pouncey and JaWuan James can all GTFO of Miami
-We could really use good TE play with this kind of offense, too bad Tannebaum settled for Julius Thomas

My observations:

-We have no speed on defense
-TJ McDonald cant play assignment football (Cam Newton end around? That was on TJ) or play the run, but he makes big hits so people will probably think he's good
-I liked the use of a FB, Gase should do more with formations...maybe a 2RB backfield or whatever. Anything is better than the 3 standard formations we use.
-Kiko was horrible
-3rd down and 14 and we run the ball instead of going for the 1st down. Carolina ends up scoring on short field position after. Conservative play calling did us in again.
-Cutler throwing balls into the dirt. By far his most inaccurate performance.
-Jermon Bushrod, Ted Larsen, Mike Pouncey and JaWuan James can all GTFO of Miami
-We could really use good TE play with this kind of offense, too bad Tannebaum settled for Julius Thomas
agree on all accounts. Just need to give TJ a bit more time, first game back after a long suspension. I thought he was hitting like a truck(something we sorely need) and around the ball more often than not. Glad to have him based on what I saw short term.

agree on all accounts. Just need to give TJ a bit more time, first game back after a long suspension. I thought he was hitting like a truck(something we sorely need) and around the ball more often than not. Glad to have him based on what I saw short term.

I hope so, but I don't like the interchangeable safety philosophy. Maybe he has the range and smarts to be an effective FS, but Id love to see a pure FS - speed to deny deep passes, coverage ability and ballhawking skills paired with Jones' prototype SS traits.

Matt Burke said it the best in my opinion. The fits and communication between the levels of the defense were atrocious. He made some bad calls, and it sounds like there are not enough checks built into the scheme for veteran players to recognize and correct the issue. That is on Burke in my opinion. I am not convinced we have the players to recognize and react if there were good checks, but it is still on him. He did not hide this during his press conference.

the zone read scrape and fill was horrendous

I have a feeling the downward trend with the d is gonna continue

Back
Top Bottom