Post Game Thoughts - @Carolina | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post Game Thoughts - @Carolina

I still think DVP can be a superstar, He's damn good and will only be better with a qb who can get him the ball consistently and accurately

if they don't do something to get a better rb position lead wise there's gonna be a ton of pressure on the qb to execute at the very high level...the 2016 last 8 games he played tannehill level

The Ajayi trade softened the team. It's the old deal about contrast or lack of contrast. When I was a kid the NFL was very run oriented and there were major upsets all the time. That's when the phrase Any Given Sunday showed up and was featured on NFL Films. Teams were physical on both sides of the ball and the ones with weaker quarterbacks didn't kid themselves and essentially forfeit their chances by throwing the ball all over the field.

I loved that era. Always will. It was incredible the Dolphins went unbeaten in that era, of all eras. It was certainly more unthinkable then than today, despite two fewer games. More than half your games were within the division in that era and there was no such thing as a bye week, or a week off for the top two seeded teams in the playoffs. I've never as upset or emotional as the vast majority of Dolphin fans these days because those early '70s teams will always be the true Dolphins to me. This stuff is like the bad sequel.

Last night I thought the Dolphins had a decent chance to be competitive. For all the raves about the Panthers they entered the game with a point differential of +9, or something like that. YPPA Differential of +.2. That combo is Crowd all the way.

Then the Dolphins opened the game in 5 wide with an empty set. Nope, this game is not going to be close. I sunk immediately as reality set in. We're a cupcake. Hoops described it well earlier in this thread, that the Ajaji trade places more emphasis on the quarterback. That's the last place these Dolphins need to be. I don't think Gase has any clue regarding things like that. Our quarterback is throwing off his back foot while being swarmed from both sides and averaging 5 yards per attempt. Gruden all but laughed when Landry's stats were shown. He's correct to say he's never heard of a receiver averaging 7 yards per catch. Neither have I. Gase's underneath approach relies on teams playing soft coverage on wideouts and laying off the backs. Somehow the Jets cooperated in the second half, with cornerbacks playing 8 yards deep and allowing our receivers to do whatever they wanted. Last week Oakland made the dump off game look far better than it really is by playing soft and cautious on those plays. You won't get that often, not with a passing game of this caliber. Carolina properly attacked our offense, just like those '70s powers when they sensed blood from the rare example of an overmatched opponent masochistically deciding to throw the ball time and again instead of ball control and field position. When a finesse offense is battered it exposes the entire team...offense and defense. Your identity is as a weakling.

The early Buffalo and Pittsburgh games stood out last season because we actually asserted ourselves from a physical standpoint. Ajayi rambled with disdain. It was so awesome to behold. So rare, post-Csonka. Sure it was situationally advantaged but there was foundational opportunity there, to blend it with lethal downfield throws.

Gase seems to think his schemes are birthrighted to defeat the league. Same thing Charlie Weis thought. Guys like that need freak quarterbacks.

I was thinking the same thing. You have a chance to go to halftime down by 3 and make the game about the second half. Instead low percentage chance backfires and turns the game. Hopefully Gase learns from that miscue. And Carolina had all 3 timeouts if we failed to get a first down. Should have been thinking about winding clock after defense made stand on previous series. If you get a good gain then go into attack mode. Not on first play.
I was thinking similarly last night. But I've reflected a bit on it - Gase has been taking a lot of flak for being too cautious, not adventurous enough. Then he goes for it, it backfires, and he's lambasted.

Surely it's Cutler who should be taking the lions share of the blame here? Surely when the play is called, there are progressions he has to go through. He doesn't have to throw to his first progression, when he's in double coverage. Maybe the call was OK ish. The execution is what was the problem in my opinion.

I was thinking similarly last night. But I've reflected a bit on it - Gase has been taking a lot of flak for being too cautious, not adventurous enough. Then he goes for it, it backfires, and he's lambasted.

Surely it's Cutler who should be taking the lions share of the blame here? Surely when the play is called, there are progressions he has to go through. He doesn't have to throw to his first progression, when he's in double coverage. Maybe the call was OK ish. The execution is what was the problem in my opinion.
Often appears Cutler has HIS receiver picked out pre-snap and NOTHING changes his mind.

story of our season in terms of the qb

It's not that I have a problem trying to score with 45 seconds. Just the first play needs to be conservative, a completion that runs the clock or a run that forces Carolina to make a decision on whether they want to use their timeouts and try to stop us. If the conservative play breaks for a first down then you aren't backed up and you have a better chance to move into scoring position without the huge risk we took.

that's not double coverage either it's cover 2 the honey hole is between the corner and the safety

what you can't do is eye bang it from the snap though and let a instinctive and aware lb like kuechly follow the qbs eyes from the center of the field right under it...he doesn't do that Thomas catches that ball we gain 20 yards save our timout even and we are on the 40 plus with 40 seconds left and 3 time outs

qb fail...is it a tough one for cutler sure but all that head and eye discipline I talk about til the cows come home well you saw it and paid for it last night...he gets away with most of it cause of his arm or at least he used to...those days are long over

Cutler's coverage reads seem to be fine. What's killing him is the way the ball comes out of his hand.

It seemed a little better in the Raider game and then this again- I don't get it, its like Jekyll and Hydeish heck even sometimes within a game or drive. I'm not sure if that week off helped him for the Raider game or what the story is. His footwork always sucks but somehow the ball placement was a little better in the Raider game-even the first SD game.

This has nothing to do with the quality of defense either from week to week it's Cutler vs Cutler's play- week to week.

All those saying that the Ajayi trade didn't hurt the team, I don't really agree. Yes the passing game has looked marginally effective the last two weeks, and Drake has had a few nice runs, but a lot of the "improvement" is based on being way less predictable without Ajayi. It was just so painfully obvious when we were going to be running the ball with him much of the year. Our gameplan was running him into a brickwall for much of the first half and then pass pass pass when we got behind. The opponent knew when we were going to run, knew when we were going to pass, and the playcalls weren't all that great either. Without Ajayi in the game, we don't have a RB on the roster capable or worth getting 25 carries a game. We've been much more balanced and less predictable.

But the impact from the Ajayi trade is psychological. Players were having a hard time buying in on offense with Gase giving the job uncontested to a guy who showed clearly that he sucked and that he would limit the potential of everybody there but Devante Parker, who hasn't necessarily been helped all that much either by Cutler just wanting to force him the ball repeatedly early in the season even when he was double covered. Still the defense was playing hard every week for a while, which is why up until yesterday we didn't have a losing record. Now they just look done. The offense looked like a fire was lit under them for a little while against the Raiders, but effort only goes so far. Damien Williams always runs hard and unfortunately a fair amount of times that's right into a defender since he has poor vision. Julius Thomas is trying his best but he looks like the slowest player on the field, including the lineman. Cutler might give a crap, but he still has the worst fundamentals I've ever seen from a "starter" and I saw Chad Pennington throw passes with more zip. This team has tried hard and failed, they don't have the talent anymore. They know that, and they are done. They also know that they are in this position because of a coach who WANTED this noodle armed hack at QB and couldn't get anything out of a sometimes dominating talent so he shipped him away. Though it's hard to believe when we see Kiko Alonso out of position all game, they aren't entirely stupid.

he'd throw a whole lot more picks if not for his coverage reads

that's the only thing that's keeping this titanic afloat

well that and gase limits the qb exposure as a play caller

I just don't understand why we couldn't have let Moore and Doughty/Fales march us quickly into the offseason. We're going to miss that $10M, and Gase is going to miss one of his nine lives that he lost on Cutler.

That's kinda how it works yeah, if he had thrown a 2nd INT at any point you would have talked **** about it. So why does it not count that his stat line was pretty respectable against the number 1 defense in all of football?

Did it not occur to you that the Panthers were averaging 18 points a game and just lit up the Dolphins defense like an XMAS tree for 45 ****ing points? Maybe if the Dolphins defense kept it under 30 and helped a little with the time of possession this game wouldn't have had a "garbage time"

No. I watched him play and he was terrible like he has been all season. The INT was one of many bad or ineffective throws. He doesn't even have that many INTs this season (especially for Cutler) and he's been terrible anyway. That one throw is really not why I'm saying he was terrible. He's terrible because he can't make any throws at all downfield. Any pass more than 15 yards is wildly inaccurate and lacking in velocity.

The defense was terrible too. These things do not have to be mutually exclusive.

Back
Top Bottom