QB T.J. Yates, North Carolina | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB T.J. Yates, North Carolina

I've re-watched it a few times, and you're right, they tried to run the FG team onto the field, and Yates hesitates for a second and puts his arms up, I think he thought the game was over there. However, he did gather his head and realize he needed to just take penalty and spike the ball, and did just in the nick of time.

It's definitely on the coaches for not handling the clock better. I'd have liked to have seen the QB know he had to spike it no matter what, and just take it over from the beginning, but when I re-watched it, he pretty much did. He held his senses pretty quick, rather than losing them entirely.

That was just what I was going to say. If you watch from the very beginning as in right as the runner got tackled, you look at Yates, he's driving the cattle up the field and motioning with his arms downward which means "get lined up for a clock play"...but then he just briefly glances over the sidelines (maybe he saw some of the FG unit players out the side of his peripheral vision?) and sees what the coaches intended...and there's no question, you can see the exact thought process going through his head via his face and body language. He goes from "What the ****?!?" to "Offense, get off the field!" to "Wait, that's not going to work!" to "Field goal unit, get the F-CK off the field!" to "Ah sh-t! We just lost the f-cking game because of this horse ****!" to "Wait, I can still clock it and draw the penalty!"

All in the span of about 4 seconds.

I too like Yates and had mentioned him a couple of months ago.

I would have no problem if the phins drafted him. But, I also wouldnt settle for just drafting him. I would like to see us draft first round talent and if we took Yates as well later in the draft, I could get down with that.

Palmer/Orton, a 1st round selection, and Yates as the 3 QBs on the roster next season.

I really don't know what to think of Mr. Yates. Mainly because I haven't seen many mid-range throws. He can definitely throw an accurate deep ball and a good short ball. It's the digs and 10-15 yard outs that I wonder about. TJ has that slick look to him. His PA look very natural and they will hold LBs up enough for WR/TE to slip over the top of them. He also has command of his offense and has no fear late in the game. He doesn't have a live arm but it's not weak. I have no idea where Yates will fall in the draft but If we can't get Gabbert then Yates is the guy in my mind. I like him more than Chapel and Stanzi as well and I'd much rather have Yates than Locker. I don't know what to think about Newton as a player but as a person I would not touch him. It's Gabbert or Yates for me.

The QB position is rounding out for me. Andrew Luck and Brandon Weeden stand at the top as complete players with a level of maturity in their game that should help them impact the NFL immediately and make the game NOT be too big for them. Blaine Gabbert is a step below them, still has a ways to go to mature his game a little bit and run an NFL offense, but has massive potential in KEY areas, and mediocre to good level skill set in most other areas. Then you have Cam Newton and Ryan Mallett, two guys I'm not terribly keen on but whom I refuse to rule out completely. Then you have T.J. Yates, and just below him Pat Devlin...with Yates above Devlin simply because Yates has more and better experience. Then there are project guys I would take a chance on if I wasn't under pressure to find "the" guy...and those are Ben Chappell, Christian Ponder....and PERHAPS Colin Kaepernick, even though he does not smell like a quarterback to me. He has good pure passing skills, lit up the last Manning Camp that he attended, and when you turn on the lights the guy finds a way to perform so that has to be worth something.

Jake Locker does not make the list. Nor Ricky Stanzi, Andy Dalton, Greg McElroy, Tyrod Taylor, Taylor Potts, Jerrod Johnson, Mike Hartline, Adam Weber, or Mitch Mustain. The guy I've yet to do closer work on who may get in with the Chappell/Ponder/Kaepernick crowd is Scott Tolzien.

Right now it's between Gabbert and Yates for me. But I feel like I haven't given Ryan Mallet enough of a chance. His demeanor is a flag for me. He has the best arm in the draft (Gabbert is a close second) but that isn't enough on its own. I really like Yates though. The more I think about it the more I think he's the guy. I would love to have Gabbert too though.

After watching the bowl games I think getting Yates is the way to go. Outside of Luck I havent seen anyone with the whole Package of tangibles and intangibles that he has.

you have to look at the stats. Yates stats arent that great, and to be honest, Gabbert and Locker have mediocre stats. Devlin, Stanzi, Newton have great stats. Personally I like what I see on Devlin, my favorite is Newton but I highly doubt he will be there at 15

you have to look at the stats. Yates stats arent that great, and to be honest, Gabbert and Locker have mediocre stats. Devlin, Stanzi, Newton have great stats. Personally I like what I see on Devlin, my favorite is Newton but I highly doubt he will be there at 15

Looking at stats is not you should be doing. Looking at film and evaluating the player based on that is what you want to do.

Stats are only important within the context of watching a guy play and using them to better understand what you're seeing.

Incidentally I don't particularly think Yates' senior season stats are any worse than Devlin's. Yates had a pretty good QB Rating. I mean, 67% completion, 8.1 YPA, 19 TDs to 9 INTs...

One thing that really excited me about Harbaugh is that I thought he would like T.J. Yates because of his attention to detail. Harbugh's offense is complicated and you need a QB that pays attention to the little things.

Now that We have no idea who our OC will be I don't know if Yates will even be on our radar. Hopefully he plays in the Senior Bowl.

He should be playing in the Senior Bowl for sure.

And I agree not knowing what the hell is going on with the offense is maddening. You have Ben Volin out there speculating that with his job on the line Tony Sparano is going to want to go with someone he knows from Dallas like Maurice Carthon or Ray Sherman. Shoot me if he does that.

He should be playing in the Senior Bowl for sure.

And I agree not knowing what the hell is going on with the offense is maddening. You have Ben Volin out there speculating that with his job on the line Tony Sparano is going to want to go with someone he knows from Dallas like Maurice Carthon or Ray Sherman. Shoot me if he does that.

One of the many reasons it was folly to bring him back. You're not even getting the flawed Sparano of the last three years. You're getting a guy so frightened to death for his job he's going to retreat farther and farther into what's safe, rather than what wins. There's no question in my mind he'll actually be worse this year than last. Maurice Carthon or Ray Sherman as OC would be an early sign of that.

With recent developments it appears more and more likely that we Gabbert will be gone. And for me it's been between Gabbert and Yates for awhile. I'll admit that CK has me intrigued with Mr. Weeden but we're not even sure if he'll declare. Right now I'm in favor of trading back as far as we can and getting our 2nd rounder back and hopefully something else. T.J. Yates isn't on the East/West roster or the Senior Bowl roster so he's not going to be drafted any earlier than late in the 3rd but it will probably be later. I think we have to pick up this guy and he'll either be a slick backup or a franchise QB. And if we miss with him at least it wasn't another 2nd rounder.

This is only if we can't trade up and get Gabbert

If he's not on either all star roster then that's a shame. But good for us, he fall to the middle rounds.

I'm not opposed to using 2 picks on QBs either. A 1st and a 3rd or 4th, whatever.

Of course that all depends on how the players fall in the draft. I'm not opposed to drafting good defensive players that can help us immediately (Herzlich).

Back
Top Bottom