QB T.J. Yates, North Carolina | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB T.J. Yates, North Carolina

I'm watching Locker, and he hadn't done much of what an NFL QB will yet, but he has top shelf athleticism.

At risk of losing man card, I'm kind of checking in to see if UConn's streak ends tonight as well.

I'm watching Locker, and he hadn't done much of what an NFL QB will yet, but he has top shelf athleticism.

At risk of losing man card, I'm kind of checking in to see if UConn's streak ends tonight as well.

Split tail basketball??? COME ON MAN!!!!!
just kidding..."No man card for you.". in my best Soup Nazi voice.

He made a dumb decision on the drive before the last one where the S wasn't looking for the ball.

He waited for the defender to commit to him and then threw the ball to the open guy. Not seeing the issue there.

Another bad throw over the middle on FG drive.

Not sure which one you're talking about. You ARE allowed to miss throws every now and then.

The sack that was a grounding penalty was terrible, you have to get rid of that ball.

It was a good decision to get rid of the ball, he didn't have the greatest stance or leverage and so he couldn't get it beyond the line of scrimmage. There was a receiver in the area running the sideline route anyway and that is what Butch Davis was complaining about to the refs on the play.

The 4th down throw dropped was money. The throw down the sideline with the personal foul was money.

Yes it was and yes it was, but those weren't the only throws. He had other completions that were KEY in getting the ball rolling and finishing off the comeback in OT.

The confusion and clock management by the QB was really bad on that last play.

That is NOT on T.J. Yates. Not. At. All. Not even sure how you could think it's on him. He outsmarted his own coaches on that. He KNEW he needed to get up and clock the ball after the run play. His coaches didn't. That was a mistake on THEIR part, and he BAILED THEM OUT OF IT. That was probably the most key play of the entire comeback and it was one that HE made, even though his coaches TRIED to blow it.

Like I said, a very mixed bag tonight.

I can agree with that. The offense was way too myopic until they got into clutch situations like at the end of the 1st Half and at the end of the 4th Quarter. But it was SOOOO typical of John Shoop's offense. Start out the game well because you've come up with some good plays and matchups, then when the defense adjusts...you do not adjust back. That's what Shoop does (or rather, doesn't do). Luckily, when you get into situations where you need chunk yards and you need to open things up a little, T.J. Yates is probably the most clutch quarterback in the Draft this year.

I find it encouraging actually that when they open things up, Yates CAN execute those intermediate chunk yardage pass attempts. When John Shoop is left to his own devices, everything Yates throws would be a super short pass, a screen, or a deep vertical off the play-action.

I think it is very much on Yates to know you just ran a running play with 13 or however many seconds, and you don't have time to do anything but clock it. Just because his coaches were also trying to be stupid doesn't mean he was smart before that. I hold him accountable for that as well. Maybe I'm tougher with that than you are.

You and I were watching different plays if you believe he made the defender commit and then threw it away. It nearly hit the defender in the damn head. Both announcers were talking about how that is six if he's ball rather than man.

Yes, it was a bad throw over the middle like I said. Where did I say you can't miss throws? I'm going to point them out in an evaluation of the kid.

The footwork that was so talked about was very inconsistent as well. Tendency to be falling back, which messed with his accuracy. I was hoping for more fundamentally in a few areas from him. Only time I REALLY watched him this year was against Miami, where he had no chance due to pressure.

He made some throws, and redeemed himself a lot late I thought. Just a really mixed bag and getting think he was quite as good as it sounds like maybe you did.

My final thought on Yates: We should pass He can play in the NFL, but he is checkdown Yates no better than Henne. Yates drives me no less crazy than Henne.

I think it is very much on Yates to know you just ran a running play with 13 or however many seconds, and you don't have time to do anything but clock it. Just because his coaches were also trying to be stupid doesn't mean he was smart before that. I hold him accountable for that as well. Maybe I'm tougher with that than you are.

You're not being tougher on him than I am, I think you're just plain mistaken.

yates reminds me of penny with more arm...i don't think thats a franchise qb down the road in yates but maybe thats just me...and we all know that i'm not a fan of penny like offensive play

i would love to see yates behind a better line, seems he was always under pressure from that 3 or 4 man rush

i would love to see yates behind a better line, seems he was always under pressure from that 3 or 4 man rush

I personally would love to see him in an offense that asks a little bit more of him than to throw those little short checkdowns underneath the defense, driving the the defense crazy until you can go play-action and hit them deep with the vertical. I think that's a good way to do it when you have a real dangerous ground game and when you're good at gaining yards after the catch with those underneath passes, but you do need the ability to hit chunk throws aside from the deep vertical. The encouraging thing is on the occasions when the UNC offense does need more from him, they get into a situation where he needs to throw big, he comes up big. That 4th & 20 throw to Dwight Jones that he dropped, unbelievably clutch throw, as was that one to the sideline that drew the spearing penalty. Tennessee was begging to be challenged a little bit more like that but the offense just doesn't call for it. He'll benefit if he comes to a better offense.

I personally would love to see him in an offense that asks a little bit more of him than to throw those little short checkdowns underneath the defense, driving the the defense crazy until you can go play-action and hit them deep with the vertical. I think that's a good way to do it when you have a real dangerous ground game and when you're good at gaining yards after the catch with those underneath passes, but you do need the ability to hit chunk throws aside from the deep vertical. The encouraging thing is on the occasions when the UNC offense does need more from him, they get into a situation where he needs to throw big, he comes up big. That 4th & 20 throw to Dwight Jones that he dropped, unbelievably clutch throw, as was that one to the sideline that drew the spearing penalty. Tennessee was begging to be challenged a little bit more like that but the offense just doesn't call for it. He'll benefit if he comes to a better offense.

Agreed. He'll benefit from a new offensive system, and he definitely has cojones. The biggest requirement after the normal arm, intelligence, and accuracy is to be a leader. Players believe in guys in come up big in big spots. Yates has shown a tendency to come up large in those situations.

Who among us thought that UNC deserved to win last night? But they did, mostly because of Yates. On that 4th down play, he showed arm strength, toughness to take a hit, and excellent anticipation. He threw that ball before Jones had even made his break, and it was a bad play by Jones that prevented it from being completed.

I thought they deserved it more so than Tennessee for sure. The Volunteers were getting away with all kinds of things during the game. For one thing, how does saluting the crowd draw an unsportsmanlike, whereas a QB making exaggerated throat slashing motions to the crowd and camera, are 100% ok? Also, that long ball that Yates threw that should have been a TD except Erik Highsmith is a sucky WR, that was not an interception. It really wasn't. I like Janzen Jackson a lot, except for that spearing penalty he got, and if it was really an interception then all the power to Janzen, but it wasn't...he hadn't secured that ball by the time he went out of bounds. Then of course there's the play immediately after Janzen's spearing incident, that was absolutely a late hit and personal foul, but it went uncalled.

Thing is even if you take aside all of that penalty stuff and unsportsmanlike or whatever, on 4th & 20 at an extremely clutch moment, the most clutch QB in college football throws an absolutely perfect ball with great anticipation, timing and accuracy to where it hits Dwight Jones right in the hands center mass at chest level as he comes out of his break on the deep dig...and he doesn't catch it. That ball gets caught, there's no personal foul shenanigans later because Jones dropped that ball in field goal range, it would have been 1st down within field goal range with a couple of minutes left in the game and a chance to score a TD instead of a FG, or at the very least get the FG. But, Jones dropped it. So, they needed to try something even more daring, doing the same thing with no timeouts and only like 31 seconds remaining. Take aside that 15 yard penalty for a moment. That throw right between the safety and corner to get the ball from the UNC 20 yard line to the UNC 48 yard line was fantastic, and the guy made a great catch even despite getting speared pretty bad. If Jackson hadn't speared him like that, there's 26 seconds left and they have the ball on the 48, needing legitimately what 20 yards to get a crack at the tying FG? Well on the very next play Yates completed a ball for 12 yards...so there's most of your needed 20 yards.

Point being, UNC was earning it even if you take aside Tennessee's self-destruction.

I still can't believe North Carolina's coaching staff tried their hardest to lose that game, calling a run play with 16 seconds remaining and then trying to run the FG unit onto the field. If you watch it, you can see Yates and some other players (I think the TE) motioning everyone up to the line quickly for a spike play immediately after the run is over, and then he looks back toward the sidelines real quick and sees all the FG unit players on the field and the coaches driving them onto the field. You could see at first he's like "What the ****?!?!?!" and then for a split second he starts trying to motion his offensive players off the field, changes his mind half a second later and gets everyone up to the line and clocks the ball with 1 second left amid the confusion and BAILS THE COACHES THE EFF OUT. That's a player out-smarting his own coaches, right there. What a clutch player.

I I still can't believe North Carolina's coaching staff tried their hardest to lose that game, calling a run play with 16 seconds remaining and then trying to run the FG unit onto the field. If you watch it, you can see Yates and some other players (I think the TE) motioning everyone up to the line quickly for a spike play immediately after the run is over, and then he looks back toward the sidelines real quick and sees all the FG unit players on the field and the coaches driving them onto the field. You could see at first he's like "What the ****?!?!?!" and then for a split second he starts trying to motion his offensive players off the field, changes his mind half a second later and gets everyone up to the line and clocks the ball with 1 second left amid the confusion and BAILS THE COACHES THE EFF OUT. That's a player out-smarting his own coaches, right there. What a clutch player.

I've re-watched it a few times, and you're right, they tried to run the FG team onto the field, and Yates hesitates for a second and puts his arms up, I think he thought the game was over there. However, he did gather his head and realize he needed to just take penalty and spike the ball, and did just in the nick of time.

It's definitely on the coaches for not handling the clock better. I'd have liked to have seen the QB know he had to spike it no matter what, and just take it over from the beginning, but when I re-watched it, he pretty much did. He held his senses pretty quick, rather than losing them entirely.

Back
Top Bottom