question about cutting suh | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

question about cutting suh

Anyone else notice that the finances were better controlled when Dawn Aponte was in charge? She had the ability to put a tighter rein on Mike Tannenbaum and his inclination to spend. She was very tough and the player agents didn't like negotiating with her but that was also one of her strengths. The progressive blowout in Ndamukong Suh's future cap hit is partly the result of Tannenbaum cutting deals to pay him less and blowing out longer term amount.
Other observation is that you can handle the occasional dead cap amounts from players who didn't work out but we have been getting far too many of them of late. Seems like every second free agent we pick up results in a dead cap hit after they fail.
While many FH posters went out of their way to knock Dawn Aponte, we didn't have any salary cap issues when she was in charge and I think that is because she was better skilled in controlling Tannenbaum.
My other comment on this is that any salary cap issues faced by Miami will not sit well with Mr Ross. Tannenbaum's tenure becomes shakier from these mistakes. Work off the assumption that Mr Ross became a successful billionaire by managing the finances prudently and he would frown on poor cap management.

Last edited:
Anyone else notice that the finances were better controlled when Dawn Aponte was in charge? She had the ability to put a tighter rein on Mike Tannenbaum and his inclination to spend. She was very tough and the player agents didn't like negotiating with her but that was also one of her strengths. The progressive blowout in Ndamukong Suh's future cap hit is partly the result of Tannenbaum cutting deals to pay him less and blowing out longer term amount.
Other observation is that you can handle the occasional dead cap amounts from players who didn't work out but we have been getting far too many of them of late. Seems like every second free agent we pick up results in a dead cap hit after they fail.
While many FH posters went out of their way to knock Dawn Aponte, we didn't have any salary cap issues when she was in charge and I think that is because she was better skilled in controlling Tannenbaum.
My other comment on this is that any salary cap issues faced by Miami will not sit well with Mr Ross. Tannenbaum's tenure becomes shakier from these mistakes. Work off the assumption that Mr Ross became a successful billionaire by managing the finances prudently and he would frown on poor cap management.

People love to bash on Aponte, but she actually did a pretty fine job

So what do we do with these sweet sweet savings? Certainly not spend it on top FAs. Last thing we want to do is pay the best players the most. Use it to line up a ton of mediocre or flat out bad players? Sounds far more likely. Oh, and we create an unnecessary roster hole at DT, so it costs us a draft pick as well.

Aponte was great, but she had her whole back door Survivor-esque dealings with Philbin that rubbed people the wrong way...phenomenal cap management though.

So what do we do with these sweet sweet savings? Certainly not spend it on top FAs. Last thing we want to do is pay the best players the most. Use it to line up a ton of mediocre or flat out bad players? Sounds far more likely. Oh, and we create an unnecessary roster hole at DT, so it costs us a draft pick as well.

I wouldn’t dump Suh at this point, especially considering we’d owe an additional $13 mil next year even if we saved $17 this year..not really worth it.

We just hired a DL coach familiar with him, too...he’s probably the best DT we’ve had since Bowens and Gardener were in their heydays....I’d keep him around at least one more season. Who else is there to get? It’s not like he’s a bad distraction either...

My beef with TBag goes with the other bad contracts, like Branch, Alonso, and Timmons...unnecessary ones that screw up our cap unnecessarily.

I am totally against cutting Suh.

But you can designate him a post June 1st cut and reap those benefits when free agency starts. It also helps the player as he gets to partake in free agency from the start.

Not trying to be argumentative but just trying to figure it out....

How do you reap the benefits when you have to be under the cap on March 14? The day FA starts... If they were to do that it would be a savings of $17M and a dead cap hit of $9.1M but according to what I have read those funds do not come off the books until June. That implies his original cap number $26.1M would still be on the books. No? We wouldn't see the savings of $9.1M until June. (Another $9.1M dead hit in 2019 and $4M in 2020.)

At the moment we are about 8M over the cap due to the franchise tag. I assume that Thomas and Timmons will be released prior to that so $6.6M + $5.5M = $12.1M. $12.1M-8M= $4.1 in positive cap space. Not much room to work with without other moves.

March 14 Top 51 begins. All clubs must be under the 2018 salary cap prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time.

March 14 The 2018 league year and free agency period begin at 4:00 p.m., New York time.

After June 1st only the current years expense remains on the books after the player is released. The balance accelerates onto the following years salary cap. So in Breastons case had the Chiefs waited until June 1st to release him his salary cap charge in 2013 would have been $1 million and in 2014 he still would be on the books at $2 million dollars.

I think where many people get confused, though, is when they hear that “player x” could be designated a June 1 cut and immediately jump to conclusions that it means a spending spree in March.

The real purpose of the June 1 designation option is to benefit teams that have poor salary cap situations and need to either create space for rookie signings over the summer months or to cut players from the roster whose dead money charges are greater than their charge to remain on the team.
- From overthecap.com

https://overthecap.com/explaining-the-june-1st-designation/

But, that's where the post-June 1 designation offers a false promise. It does save a team money - just not when they would want it. The player is still carried on the books until June 2. In other words, there is no savings for the team during free agency. They do not see salary cap relief until they pass the June 1 mark.

The above from this article....

https://www.thephinsider.com/2015/2/18/8057333/nfl-free-agency-201-post-june-cuts-explanation

Suh has been an excellent player and very reliable...cant ask for much more out of a player...but I just dont see how Miami lets him play this season on his current contract...third highest in the league (25 mil) to only Jimmy G and Matt Stafford....they will either try to re-structure (hoping for) or end up cutting him with a post June 1 designation...sucks but its pretty likely

If Miami cuts Suh they better have a plan for replacing him. I certainly wouldn't feel good about Phillips taking over as he just hasn't consistently produced.

I know the contract was ridiculous, but his play has been top-notch. Suh is consistently double-teamed and still makes plays. Plus, he is durable something this team needs.

Not against it, if the team has a better answer than they do right now (Vea at #11 maybe). But, at the same time it makes sense to hang onto players who produce and are durable.

If Miami cuts Suh they better have a plan for replacing him. I certainly wouldn't feel good about Phillips taking over as he just hasn't consistently produced.

I know the contract was ridiculous, but his play has been top-notch. Suh is consistently double-teamed and still makes plays. Plus, he is durable something this team needs.

Not against it, if the team has a better answer than they do right now (Vea at #11 maybe). But, at the same time it makes sense to hang onto players who produce and are durable.
We won't be cutting Suh.

Cutting one of the best defensive players in the league to save 4 million would be insanely stupid. It actually works out well. We can move on next year if needed along with Kiko and branch to open a ton of room.

IMO cutting him this season wouldn't be a good option at all. Even if they designate him a June 1st cut that saves 17.5 million. Most of that cap money won't be available to use until after the first wave free agency, when all the top players are signed. and the draft. So really what do they get with that 17.5 mil savings in 2018? To me pushing that hit to 2019 isn't worth losing one of your best players. Only way I could see them getting rid of Suh is through a trade. Who would be able to trade for him? Cleveland or San Fran? What would they be able to get for him? Anything short of two 1st round picks wouldn't be worth it IMO.

I agree. Suh is playing at a high level. The whole situation wouldn’t be so ugly if not for the Kiko and Branch contracts.

It's totally insane we're talking about losing Landry and cutting Suh meanwhile Kiko and the 4.5 sack QB killer Andre Branch..If we cut Suh, we should trade Tannehill, trade Landry, and start all over. T-Bum ruins another team!! I would personally be pissed if we lost Suh. I think he's received a unfair share of criticism by idiots that don't know football and only see stats. Suh has been a total savage with us. At the same time, paying anyone besides a QB that type of money is pretty dumb. The rest of our line minus Wake have totally failed Suh. Suh gets doubled and sometimes tripled..Where the F is the rest of the D or are just that bad??

Back
Top Bottom