Quinn/Russel ... Manning/Leaf Comparison | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Quinn/Russel ... Manning/Leaf Comparison

Bruzer

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
I take no credit for this post I found it by a guy at nfldraftcountdown but I thought it was really good read and how similar it is like now.

[B said:
MWill[/B]]
Scouting reports on Leaf and Manning from 1998. Eerily similar to the differences in Russell and Quinn

Ryan Leaf-
Leaf appears to be the hot QB in this draft, and he led WSU to a storybook season...He is a physically imposing QB with great size and strength....he is very sturdy and durable in the pocket, and is a surprisingly good athlete for his size...He has a strong arm and shows good touch, and can change up the speed on his passes...He has good feet, but is not really a scrambler. However, he can stand in and take the big hits....He is a very naturally gifted player, but could improve on his throwing mechanics, although it is not a major problem....There are no physical or athletic limitations to hold Leaf back from becoming a great NFL QB. However, there appears to be some minor nagging questions in the area of maturity and his mental approach to the game. He is perceived as not always an easy guy to work with, and he tends to beat to his own drummer...As good as he is, he can have some streaks on the field where he looks like he has forgotten everything he has been taught...There seems to be a nagging question here that something might be missing, but it may be hard to verbalize it...However, Leaf made all the right moves at the end of his season when he declared for the NFL draft...Unless he turns some teams off in individual interviews between now and the draft, he should have no problems....Nobody will question his physical abilities, and it is not outlandish to think that he could be the first pick of the draft, instead of Peyton Manning....There is a huge upside with Leaf, and it is conceivable that he could be one of the best young QB’s in the game in 2-3 years...His ability to play as physical as he does and take the hits that will obviously come, when playing for a team that obviously doesn’t have a very good OL, will help him get over the tough times as a team builds around him.
- Note that they have unlimited potential and are physical specimens

Peyton Manning
Manning is probably the most prepared QB to enter the NFL draft in several years.. He has had a storybook college career, and has been in a top level program with excellent coaching, and he has maturity and great intangibles to go along with his natural skills.. He should be able to pick up the mental aspects of the game early on the NFL level, and should play very quickly. He has great overall field vision. He is a fierce competitor, and all of his mechanics are very solid. He has good arm strength, but not necessarily a “gun†that you might expect from a QB at the top of the draft.. He has adequate mobility and good overall AA, although he is not a scrambler by nature. He has done an excellent job of getting the most out of his abilities, but he is not quite as natural a player as Leaf. One question that some NFL scouts have is the question “will he get any better?â€Â. At times he gives the appearance of being a self-made player, and sometimes those types of players don’t always go on to great NFL careers. In Manning’s case, he may be a solid and productive NFL QB, but he may not have Hall of Fame type skills, but it certainly won’t be for lack of effort.. He has probably been the most scouted player in the draft in recent years, and because that NFL teams tend to look too much at potential flaws, instead of accepting him for what he is, a great college QB that is on his way to an outstanding NFL career.
- Smart, but has a ceiling on improving

That's eerie dude. You could easily replace the names of the players with Russell/Quinn and the bio's would make perfect sense.

Good stuff.

I think the one thing that could separate Russell from Leaf is their attitude. Leaf had all the skills to improve, but he had a horrible attitude and refused help. Russell has got a great attitude.

I mean, Leaf's attitude was so bad his High School got rid of all mention of him and all the records he set at it(this was while at Wazzou), and Leaf had a lot of famous meltdowns.

Not saying Russell won't bust since the comparisons are very similar. But a big reason for Leaf's failure was his attitude, and Russell is relatively humble.

The Ryan Leaf/JaMarcus Russell comparison is a little forced IMO, but Peyton's scouting report sounds exactly like Quinns. I've said all along if i had the choice between the two of them, I'd take Quinn.

Good find.

Yea I don't agree a ton with the russel / leaf comparision but I posted becuase thats what the post was about and also the quinn / manning is like a clone.

Quinn is the most committed to the cause QB to come into the draft since Peyton.

Quinn is the most committed to the cause QB to come into the draft since Peyton.

Well since boomer said it we got to get quinn :D. Although him slipping to us I don't really think that will happen. I think browns will take peterson but I am most worried about texans and vikings.

I think Houston will move for Jake Plummer or try and get in the Peterson sweepstakes. As for the Vikings, I would imagine that Jeff Garcia and indeed David Carr are two likely pick-ups. If they took Quinn, they would have admitted to wasting a 2nd round pick on Tavaris Jackson and they're not about to do that as I know they're high on him for the long term.

Its funny, because prior to the draft I'm sure any team that was interested in Leaf probably disregarded this blurb:

He is perceived as not always an easy guy to work with, and he tends to beat to his own drummer...As good as he is, he can have some streaks on the field where he looks like he has forgotten everything he has been taught...There seems to be a nagging question here that something might be missing, but it may be hard to verbalize it...

That couldn't have been any more dead on then stated. Everyone gets sucked into the physical portion of the player but usually turns a blind eye to the mental portion. Leaf is the best example of this. Physically he had the tools to be a great QB. Mentality, he had nothing at all. BTW, good find on this stuff and not a bad comparison.

That's eerie dude. You could easily replace the names of the players with Russell/Quinn and the bio's would make perfect sense.

Good stuff.

Save for the Leaf attitude, those are really similar. And I'm hoping Quinn can be our version of Peyton-lite. If you look at the teams ahead of us, they've made their bets already on Jackson and Campbell and already have guys who show promise in Frye and Simms.

In Manning’s case, he may be a solid and productive NFL QB, but he may not have Hall of Fame type skills
:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

Here is comparisons of Russell, Quinn and some of the greats college stats:

Brady Quinn’s College Career Stats: Notre Dame
Comp 929 Attempts 1602 Yards 11,762 Comp % 57.5 Tds 95 Ints 39 QB Rating 152.64

Joe Montana’s College Career Stats:
Comp 291 Attempts 574 Yards 4,395 Comp % 50.7 Tds 27 Ints 28 QB Rating N/A

Dan Marino’s College Career Stats: Pittsburgh
Comp 693 Attempts 1204 Yards 8,597 Comp % 57.6 Tds 79 Ints 69 QB Rating 77.7

John Elway’s College Career Stats: Stanford
Comp 774 Attempts 1243 Yards 9,349 Comp % 62.1 Tds 77 Ints N/A QB Rating N/A

Jamarcus Russell College Career Stats: LSU
Comp 493 Attempts 797 Yards 6625 Comp % 61.8 Tds 52 Ints 21 QB Rating 143.6

I also read a post on another thread that Quinn was a sure bust because he never played big in big games and he never won a bowl game. I found that amusing since John Elway never played in a bowl game and never led Stanford to a bowl appearence

I don't understand thv Quinn hatred as well. I think he's a heck of a player.

There seems to be a nagging question here that something might be missing, but it may be hard to verbalize it

This part about Leaf is just eerie!! Like this scout had a crystal ball while writing this particular sentence.

Like most of you, comparing Russell's head to Leaf's is a bit of a stretch, but the Quinn/Manning one is right on, although I'd be shocked if Quinn becomes another Manning in the NFL.

That said - IMO - I don't see how Quinn would outright fail in the NFL. We could do far worse (and have! :fire:)

This part about Leaf is just eerie!! Like this scout had a crystal ball while writing this particular sentence.

Like most of you, comparing Russell's head to Leaf's is a bit of a stretch, but the Quinn/Manning one is right on, although I'd be shocked if Quinn becomes another Manning in the NFL.

That said - IMO - I don't see how Quinn would outright fail in the NFL. We could do far worse (and have! :fire:)

Charlie Weiss has called Quinn a quick study. He picked up his playbook without any problems.
At the worst BQ will be on par with a QB like Trent Green. At best, he will be on the level of Brady and Manning. I don't understand how some can legitimately say he has bust written all over him, then go on and call for the Phins to draft Ginn.

Back
Top Bottom