Quinn/Russel ... Manning/Leaf Comparison | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Quinn/Russel ... Manning/Leaf Comparison

The obvious comparison is Tom Brady. I think he's more naturally talented than Tom and much more athletic. Whether that bares out in the NFL remains to be seen.
The comparison to Brady is a little rich. Sorry, but Tom Brady is, in my opinion, the best QB to have played in my time as a football fan. That period would include Montana, Marino, Elway, Kelly, Favre, Manning, Young or Aikman.
Quinn gets comparisons to Brady mainly because of C. Weiss. Weiss has been selling the propoganda on Quinn heavily. I'm not buying, though.

Tom Brady comes through in the clutch better than any one ever has in the past. It is the most important attribute any professional athlete can have. It is difficult to measure but the best barometer is the number of championships-or how the athlete performs in big games. Quinn has flopped in the big games. His supporters will tell you that his O-line was miserable, and there is a kernel of truth in the argument, however, Quinn missed a lot of throws, and at critical times. A great Qb can make his O-line look a lot better than they actually are.
The fact that Quinn may have better measurables as far as athletic or 'natural' talent is concerned is misleading and irrelevant. Michael Vick has more natural talent than 10 Tom Brady's but he's probably not even a top 10 QB in the league.

If there is going to be any comparison, the more appropriate one is Carson Palmer, but even then, I think it is a big stretch. We could be looking at a slightly more gifted Joey Harrington. Slightly.

The comparison to Brady is a little rich. Sorry, but Tom Brady is, in my opinion, the best QB to have played in my time as a football fan. That period would include Montana, Marino, Elway, Kelly, Favre, Manning, Young or Aikman.
Quinn gets comparisons to Brady mainly because of C. Weiss. Weiss has been selling the propoganda on Quinn heavily. I'm not buying, though.

Tom Brady comes through in the clutch better than any one ever has in the past. It is the most important attribute any professional athlete can have. It is difficult to measure but the best barometer is the number of championships-or how the athlete performs in big games. Quinn has flopped in the big games. His supporters will tell you that his O-line was miserable, and there is a kernel of truth in the argument, however, Quinn missed a lot of throws, and at critical times. A great Qb can make his O-line look a lot better than they actually are.
The fact that Quinn may have better measurables as far as athletic or 'natural' talent is concerned is misleading and irrelevant. Michael Vick has more natural talent than 10 Tom Brady's but he's probably not even a top 10 QB in the league.

If there is going to be any comparison, the more appropriate one is Carson Palmer, but even then, I think it is a big stretch. We could be looking at a slightly more gifted Joey Harrington. Slightly.

Brady sure didn't come in the clutch against the Colts and Peyton was regarded as anti-clutch. As for the Joey Harrington comparison, don't even start there. Quinn was brought up in a pro style offense installed by an actual offensive coordinator from a pretty good NFL team. Harrington was brought up in a system installed by Jeff Tedford, whose methodology towards QB's leaves them underdeveloped in the pros. One thing about Weis is, unlike Belichick, that man doesn't lie. If he says Brady Quinn is comparable to Tom Brady, it's probably for real.

Actually it's not rich at all. It's pretty accurate. Both of them have good field vision, set up similarly, are leaders, are mentally very strong, are film hounds, deliver the ball similarly. This isn't just my opinion. It's he opinion of the man who coached both of them and unless you're Charlie Weis (one 's'), the I'd rather go with him on this one and on my own evaluations of Quinn over his 4 year career in South Bend. Which mark my words, is a LOT of tape study.

As good as Tom Brady is, you're in a small minority that thinks he's a better pro than the list you made.

Which big games has Quinn flopped in? Please don't say OSU and LSU. Those defeats were down to the fact that Notre Dame had no business in those games in the first place and that showed on the field. That wasn't Brady Quinn's fault. I'd rather look at how he beat Michigan as a sophomore or brought ND back from 21+ down against MSU or how he drove 87 yards, completing all three passes and then running in from 5 yards away against USC as a junior at games end. You state that he had a bad OL - which he did - but then you refuse to allow Quinn the fact that at times he didn't get time to set up or to work his progressions because he was being smothered. And if Darius Walker was getting shut down, then the onus fell even heavier on his shoulders.

The natural talent thing you bring up is nonsensical. Vick has athletic talent. I'm talking QB talent, intangibles. I mean, was Tom Brady showing off all that talent when Michigan won 4 National Titles and he won back to back to back to back Heisman's during his tenure?

Carson Palmer?? Quinn is much more mobile than Carson, throws much more accurately on the run and doesn't have the deep arm of Palmer. And as for calling him a 'slightly more gifted Joey Harrington', underlines how flawed your argument is. When did Joey last have a 69-14 TD ration over 2 years? Or go 226 throws without a pick?

Actually it's not rich at all. It's pretty accurate. Both of them have good field vision, set up similarly, are leaders, are mentally very strong, are film hounds, deliver the ball similarly. This isn't just my opinion. It's he opinion of the man who coached both of them and unless you're Charlie Weis (one 's'), the I'd rather go with him on this one and on my own evaluations of Quinn over his 4 year career in South Bend. Which mark my words, is a LOT of tape study.

As good as Tom Brady is, you're in a small minority that thinks he's a better pro than the list you made.

Which big games has Quinn flopped in? Please don't say OSU and LSU. Those defeats were down to the fact that Notre Dame had no business in those games in the first place and that showed on the field. That wasn't Brady Quinn's fault. I'd rather look at how he beat Michigan as a sophomore or brought ND back from 21+ down against MSU or how he drove 87 yards, completing all three passes and then running in from 5 yards away against USC as a junior. You state that he had a bad OL - which he did - but then you refuse to allow Quinn the fact that at times he didn't get time to set up or to work his progressions because he was being smothered. And if Darius Walker was getting shut down, then the onus fell even heavier on his shoulders.

The natural talent thing you bring up is nonsensical. Vick has athletic talent. I'm talking QB talent, intangibles. I mean, was Tom Brady showing off all that talent when Michigan won 4 National Titles and he won back to back to back to back Heisman's during his tenure?

Carson Palmer?? Quinn is much more mobile than Carson, throws much more accurately on the run and doesn't have the deep arm of Palmer. And as for calling him a 'slightly more gifted Joey Harrington', underlines how flawed your argument is. When did Joey last have a 69-14 TD ration over 2 years? Or go 226 throws without a pick?

Great post. I am hoping miami gets quinn I am ready for our own franchise qb. I mean if culpepper does work out we can groom quinn 2-3 years and then see what quinn can do if culpepper doesn't work out we got a qb and not another year of sub par qb play. (providing the qb we get works out and I think quinn has most chance)

Which big games has Quinn flopped in? Please don't say OSU and LSU. Those defeats were down to the fact that Notre Dame had no business in those games in the first place and that showed on the field. That wasn't Brady Quinn's fault. I'd rather look at how he beat Michigan as a sophomore or brought ND back from 21+ down against MSU or how he drove 87 yards, completing all three passes and then running in from 5 yards away against USC as a junior. You state that he had a bad OL - which he did - but then you refuse to allow Quinn the fact that at times he didn't get time to set up or to work his progressions because he was being smothered. And if Darius Walker was getting shut down, then the onus fell even heavier on his shoulders.

:allhail:

A quick about Leaf, as SD never bother to build an OL to keep him upright.

Drafting Quinn is the right thing to do; keeping him upright and clean, is even better.

The Ryan Leaf/JaMarcus Russell comparison is a little forced IMO, but Peyton's scouting report sounds exactly like Quinns. I've said all along if i had the choice between the two of them, I'd take Quinn.

Good find.

I would probably take Quinn too, but the only thing that worries me is his poor performance in big games.

You are not old enough to remember Montana, Elway, Kelly or Marino in their primes. Brady couldn't touch any of them. Elway and Marino made below average teams into playoff teams by carrying those teams with their arm. Brady cannot do that. He needs the coaching and supporting cast.

I don't understand thv Quinn hatred as well. I think he's a heck of a player.

I dont know a whole deal in depth about Quinn. He seems polished to me. He also looked much worse than Russell in head to head matchups.

I totally do not get the comparison of Russell to Leaf. I find that to be way off. But if it means that we can draft him at #9, im all for that!:D

Charlie Weiss has called Quinn a quick study. He picked up his playbook without any problems.
At the worst BQ will be on par with a QB like Trent Green. At best, he will be on the level of Brady and Manning. I don't understand how some can legitimately say he has bust written all over him, then go on and call for the Phins to draft Ginn.

oh god yes! I would take Ryan Kalil over Ginn. If i were forced to choose between the two.

that is just ridiculous comparrison

No its not. It means that Ginn is overrated IMO. Ginn wont solve our problems on offense. Anthony Gonzalez will end up being more productive IMO unless Ginn becomes a KR/PR, which is what he will be in his first few years. He doesnt have the wherewithall to do it all at the pro level.

I dont know a whole deal in depth about Quinn. He seems polished to me. He also looked much worse than Russell in head to head matchups.

Consider the fact that Russell was throwing to Dwayne Bowe, Craig Davis, and early Doucet. Bowe is a 1st rounder, Davis is a borderline 1, Doucet is a 1 next year. The LSU talent level FAR exceeds that of Notre Dame. LSU's DL was MUCH stronger than the Irish's line, so they shut down Darius Walker, they pressured Quinn and he never had a second.

If Quinn were as you advertise then I can assure you no one would be talking about him falling to the #9 spot. This isn't just my opinion, it's the opinion (t before he) of several scouts.
And I'm happy that you've done your tape study. So have I but mine has not been coloured by ND propoganda. To suggest that Quinn is as accurate as Brady is a farce. There are serious concerns about Quinn's accuracy when he attempts intermediate to deep throws.

The majority is often wrong. The point is that he's won 3 SBs and he hasn't yet reached the peak of his career.

Which big games has Quinn flopped in? Please don't say OSU and LSU. Those defeats were down to the fact that Notre Dame had no business in those games in the first place and that showed on the field. That wasn't Brady Quinn's fault. I'd rather look at how he beat Michigan as a sophomore or brought ND back from 21+ down against MSU or how he drove 87 yards, completing all three passes and then running in from 5 yards away against USC as a junior at games end. You state that he had a bad OL - which he did - but then you refuse to allow Quinn the fact that at times he didn't get time to set up or to work his progressions because he was being smothered. And if Darius Walker was getting shut down, then the onus fell even heavier on his shoulders.
I'd prefer to focus my attention on how he played in big games this year, and frankly, he wilted like a lilly in the Sahara. Please stop the noise about his O-line. As mentioned before, a great Qb -and let's be clear here, it is YOU who are making the comparisons to the Great Tom Brady- makes his O-line better. I know a lot of QBs who would have hall of fame careers if they were given 6-8 seconds every snap to go through their progressions. Brady makes his own time. Quinn appears to have poor pocket presence.

Apologies to you Boomer the amnesiac. It was You who made the natural talent comparisons. And I agree with your assessment about intangibles but there are many saying Quinn doesn't have that "it" factor.

The comparison to Palmer is a natural one based on their physical attributes. The one to Harrington is based on the fact that both were touted as "saviours" and didn't live up to expectations. Look, I think Quinn has a good chance of having some success in the NFl but to compare him to Brady is a joke.

If Quinn were as you advertise then I can assure you no one would be talking about him falling to the #9 spot. This isn't just my opinion, it's the opinion (t before he) of several scouts.
And I'm happy that you've done your tape study. So have I but mine has not been coloured by ND propoganda. To suggest that Quinn is as accurate as Brady is a farce. There are serious concerns about Quinn's accuracy when he attempts intermediate to deep throws.

The majority is often wrong. The point is that he's won 3 SBs and he hasn't yet reached the peak of his career.

I'd prefer to focus my attention on how he played in big games this year, and frankly, he wilted like a lilly in the Sahara. Please stop the noise about his O-line. As mentioned before, a great Qb -and let's be clear here, it is YOU who are making the comparisons to the Great Tom Brady- makes his O-line better. I know a lot of QBs who would have hall of fame careers if they were given 6-8 seconds every snap to go through their progressions. Brady makes his own time. Quinn appears to have poor pocket presence.

Apologies to you Boomer the amnesiac. It was You who made the natural talent comparisons. And I agree with your assessment about intangibles but there are many saying Quinn doesn't have that "it" factor.

The comparison to Palmer is a natural one based on their physical attributes. The one to Harrington is based on the fact that both were touted as "saviours" and didn't live up to expectations. Look, I think Quinn has a good chance of having some success in the NFl but to compare him to Brady is a joke.

:allhail:

Back
Top Bottom