Realists Vs. Homers | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Realists Vs. Homers

You mean like one person saying Ronnie doesn't have "vision" and then everyone's argument if he had a bad game was "Ronnie has bad vision".

It annoys me when one person says something then others piggyback on and end up using terms like "vision" in the incorrect context.

It's like a disease dude. I'm trying to tell these people that forums for discussion and debate should not be like an episode fo the rush limbaugh radio show for christ's sakes, where we tell eachother lies and half-truths all day and wouldnt be able to hold a conversation with any other respectable NFL fan because we'd be so ignorant.

Yeah i'm sayin somones gotta make a stand.

Ya, I think I understand where you are coming from now. In the OP it came off to me as much more generalized. Kind of like if you love the Phins too much you are an idiot, but through your clarifications later I can see that is not quite what you meant. I would say that I cannot get around my bias for the Dolphins, but at least I know and can admit that it is there. That's why I would never bet money on them because I know my opinion is skewed. It's like a parent watching his kid play football. No matter how bad the kid sucks, the parent still thinks he is one of the best players on the team. Basically I enjoy being overly optimistic, but I am not blinded by it. I know the Dolphins are extremely lucky to be where they are now, but I am enjoying the ride and I am going to believe that they can keep this streak going. I will continue to believe until I am proven wrong.

I think I made at least 1 valid point somewhere in there. You can ignore the rest.

My friend, its far beyond a "game" at this point, it is an enterprise.

And secondly, if an individual wants to accuse me or anyone else for that matter of being less of a fan for bringing attention to things that are relevent, for instance, the importance of not understimating our up comming rivals, then how is it wrong for me to create a post that supports reasoning for my dislike of these individuals?

Because most don't see it as an enterprise, they see it as a team they have grown to love. Maybe a team they grew up watching with their dad, or had a hero like Griese and Staubach when I was a kid that got me loving the game. It's cool for you to see it that way, and explains some of your thinking, which I don't agree with but respect you choose to see it that way. Most people see it as a game and a competition to talk crap on Monday if your team wins and your friend's team loses. It's a game, an awesome game at that. Maybe if you can see not everyone sees the game with the same detail and scrutiny that you do, then may be you will understand why opinions vary so much. I mean it doesn't matter if you see every block that was made, a shoulder fake that set up the safety, a perfectly run pattern that percentage wise put our best player against their weakest to score a TD. It's great that you see all that while the play unfolds, but a lot of people just see it as 6 points and a reason to grab another cold one from the fridge. I am some where in the middle.

It's like a disease dude. I'm trying to tell these people that forums for discussion and debate should not be like an episode fo the rush limbaugh radio show for christ's sakes, where we tell eachother lies and half-truths all day and wouldnt be able to hold a conversation with any other respectable NFL fan because we'd be so ignorant.

Yeah i'm sayin somones gotta make a stand.

I'm right behind ya.... a few yards.... You take the first bullet..., :wink: and then I'll :foundout:

Because most don't see it as an enterprise, they see it as a team they have grown to love. Maybe a team they grew up watching with their dad, or had a hero like Griese and Staubach when I was a kid that got me loving the game. It's cool for you to see it that way, and explains some of your thinking, which I don't agree with but respect you choose to see it that way. Most people see it as a game and a competition to talk crap on Monday if your team wins and your friend's team loses. It's a game, an awesome game at that. Maybe if you can see not everyone sees the game with the same detail and scrutiny that you do, then may be you will understand why opinions vary so much. I mean it doesn't matter if you see every block that was made, a shoulder fake that set up the safety, a perfectly run pattern that percentage wise put our best player against their weakest to score a TD. It's great that you see all that while the play unfolds, but a lot of people just see it as 6 points and a reason to grab another cold one from the fridge. I am some where in the middle.

Exactly!! To many it is the logo on the helmet that they love not the X's and O's and you know what that includes me a well. All I care about is how my Phins stack up and how they perform and how they get the W on Sunday. That's why when they sign guys like Lawrence Phillips or Cecil Collins we still root for them regardless of their character because it's the logo/team/franchise that we have a vested interest in. I couldn't care less about breaking down film or game tape or analyzing technique, this is a results driven business. Just get it done on Sunday baby, that's what they get paid to do and that's all I care about:up:

This was a post i made in response another person's post, but it sparked somthing in my mind that i wanna drag into the limelight. If your a bleeding heart dolphins fan, thats nice. If your a bleeding heart dolphins fan that makes sense, thats even better.

But if your one of those guys that act like they know the game, when they really dont, this post is for you.

I mean, I enjoy talking more to level headed fans of other teams than i do talking to a Miami homer, or any homer for that matter.

See, i'm a FOOTBALL fan before i'm a Miami Dolphins fan. It's how its always been, i learned the game of football and fell in love with it before i even knew what the hell team logos were.

Some people watch football games, any football games, and cheer for players because they love the game. They dont need "favorite teams" or "Favorite Players", or anything "favorite." All we need is the game of football. Those people that prefer the game be played at the professional level are called NFL fans.

Some people just follow a franchise and have absolutely no clue whats going on in the rest of the league or even on the field for that matter.
They are not respected as NFL fans, they are written off as homers because every thing they say is based on an undying allegience to a company logo. I got a feeling this is where you belong.

Those people are really lame to talk to and the reason is because most of the things they say, if not all of them, are comming from a super biased perspective that they feel makes them a "true" fan. You know, saying things like "Cassal Sucks!" or "Brady Quinn Sucks" or my personal favorite - "I know we're winning but Chad Henne needs to start." Trust me, it doesnt make you more of a fan it makes you more of an idiot.

I'm what you call a realist. I like to keep in touch with reality, and see whether my understanding of the game gets better with age and experience. That doesnt make me less of a dolphins fan, it just gets me respect from those that recognize i'm not totally blind.

I mean its one thing to be a homer, but its another thing to take it a step further and try to denounce somone who actually has insight. I watch as much as i have time for and give credit where credit is due. It's true that i havent been this way all of my life, in my younger years i wanted to rip the head off of anything and anybody that kept my team from going undefeated. Then i realized what a moron i was and i grew up.

I just want to see what everyone's thoughts were concerning this matter.

but HENNE does need to start ... just not this year :up:

Thats pretty well said right there. I also find myself in the middle. I know football well but I can't break down every play like some can and talk about "blocking schemes" as if I even can begin to udnerstand them. I can get down basic concepts and understand why things are what they are...but I can't get overly technical like others.

Hey buddy nothing against ya. The nostalgia factor could be huge for anyone. For me it wasnt necessarily a heritage thing,i just picked the dolphins because they were NOT the cowboys, which everyone was on the band wagon of in the 90's. Sound strange? I've been obsessed since 96. Yeah for 12 years i've been sucked in LOL.

But....it is a business.

dreamwalker i really didnt mean it the way i posted that for that wasnt what i meant , i was just making light of how fans can molehills out of mountains or vise versa . I am sorry for it to come off like it did.

I wasnt angry or irritated. I think of myself (a 40 year fan dating back to 1970) as pretty knowledgable but even though i spend most of my work day reading, posting and learning about the dolphins I have found, even the most, newest newbe has taught me something.

Even my opinions changed, not because I sought to change them but because of the people with different opinions have aided me in changing them. My thoughts on Pennington and Beck were unwaivering but because I was not so closeminded that I was forced to believe my opinion was the 1+1=2 I was able to adapt and learn.

I don't get angry when a newbe (new fan) has a different idea or opinion than I do- but I do pitty those fans that are so headstrong that they think they know all- because at of all the different types of people there are on this forum, those are the only fans that will never, ever, learn
:woot:

Hey buddy nothing against ya. The nostalgia factor could be huge for anyone. For me it wasnt necessarily a heritage thing,i just picked the dolphins because they were NOT the cowboys, which everyone was on the band wagon of in the 90's. Sound strange? I've been obsessed since 96. Yeah for 12 years i've been sucked in LOL.

But....it is a business.

It is for the owner(s), coaches, players, and employees, but for the fans? Not for me it isn't. It is for pure enjoyment (right now) or pure disappointment but still loving your team (last few years) that I watch. That is just my opinion. I don't gain or lose a dime because of the Phins. I also don't bet on my team, kind of feel like I am jinxing them. Anyways, it is not a buisiness to me.

This was a post i made in response another person's post, but it sparked somthing in my mind that i wanna drag into the limelight. If your a bleeding heart dolphins fan, thats nice. If your a bleeding heart dolphins fan that makes sense, thats even better.

But if your one of those guys that act like they know the game, when they really dont, this post is for you.

I mean, I enjoy talking more to level headed fans of other teams than i do talking to a Miami homer, or any homer for that matter.

See, i'm a FOOTBALL fan before i'm a Miami Dolphins fan. It's how its always been, i learned the game of football and fell in love with it before i even knew what the hell team logos were.

Some people watch football games, any football games, and cheer for players because they love the game. They dont need "favorite teams" or "Favorite Players", or anything "favorite." All we need is the game of football. Those people that prefer the game be played at the professional level are called NFL fans.

Some people just follow a franchise and have absolutely no clue whats going on in the rest of the league or even on the field for that matter.
They are not respected as NFL fans, they are written off as homers because every thing they say is based on an undying allegience to a company logo. I got a feeling this is where you belong.

Those people are really lame to talk to and the reason is because most of the things they say, if not all of them, are comming from a super biased perspective that they feel makes them a "true" fan. You know, saying things like "Cassal Sucks!" or "Brady Quinn Sucks" or my personal favorite - "I know we're winning but Chad Henne needs to start." Trust me, it doesnt make you more of a fan it makes you more of an idiot.

I'm what you call a realist. I like to keep in touch with reality, and see whether my understanding of the game gets better with age and experience. That doesnt make me less of a dolphins fan, it just gets me respect from those that recognize i'm not totally blind.

I mean its one thing to be a homer, but its another thing to take it a step further and try to denounce somone who actually has insight. I watch as much as i have time for and give credit where credit is due. It's true that i havent been this way all of my life, in my younger years i wanted to rip the head off of anything and anybody that kept my team from going undefeated. Then i realized what a moron i was and i grew up.

I just want to see what everyone's thoughts were concerning this matter.

It's called maturity! It's in short supply these days.

Back
Top Bottom