Red Sox's Nixon criticizes A-Rod | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Red Sox's Nixon criticizes A-Rod

In 1972, the Red Sox and Yankees were locked in a heated four-team pennant race entering September. The Sox pretty much ended the Yankees' season by taking four out of five from New York, including a three game sweep at Fenway just after Labor Day. Boston ended up finishing 2nd to Detroit by half a game... no, I didn't make that up - the Red Sox played one less game than the Tigers that year, and MLB didn't let them make it up.

In 1975, the Yankees were in 2nd place near the end of July when the Red Sox won three straight in the Bronx to push them out out reach. The Yankees eventually faltered, finishing 3rd behind Baltimore.

I'm talking head to head pennat races where one of them finished 1st and the other 2nd. The early 70s were a part of the dark days in Yankee history and just b/c the AL East stunk that year and we finished 6 games out doesn't mean you beat a great Yankee team, we were only 3 games over .500.

Very little of what has happened in the past matters in the now - we learned that last fall. Yankee fans think their team is better because they've always been better... not because they ARE better.

We haven't always been better just in most years. Getting back to the Sox beating the Yanks I grew up in the 80s and 90s and we were thwarted by the Sox a few times and the Sox were better than us for a good stretch but those were the dark dyas of Yankee baseball Part II.

By the way, The Sox proved it on the field that they were the best team in baseball last year so obviously they were better than the Yankees. They are the Champs and deserve to enjoy and you fans deserve to enjoy it as well. I have no problem w/ that but when Sox fans start discounting all the yanks have done and saying 26 means nothing compared to your 1 last year then that's where it gets silly. Enjoy the title and everything that has come along w/ it, being a Sox fan you should know how difficult it is to win one and who knows if you(or I as a Yankee fan) will ever see one again. Chances are pretty good that we will but you never know.

nyjunc said:
By the way, The Sox proved it on the field that they were the best team in baseball last year so obviously they were better than the Yankees. They are the Champs and deserve to enjoy and you fans deserve to enjoy it as well. I have no problem w/ that but when Sox fans start discounting all the yanks have done and saying 26 means nothing compared to your 1 last year then that's where it gets silly. Enjoy the title and everything that has come along w/ it, being a Sox fan you should know how difficult it is to win one and who knows if you(or I as a Yankee fan) will ever see one again. Chances are pretty good that we will but you never know.

I won't discount what they have done, but it doesn't mean I give a **** either.. You(maybe not you..) make it seem like all Red Sox fans are jealous, some might be, but the majority aren't. Why be a Red Sox fan if you're gonna be jealous of the Yankees. Just be a Yankee fan if you're jealous! ya know..

FiN.in.RI said:
I won't discount what they have done, but it doesn't mean I give a **** either.. You(maybe not you..) make it seem like all Red Sox fans are jealous, some might be, but the majority aren't. Why be a Red Sox fan if you're gonna be jealous of the Yankees. Just be a Yankee fan if you're jealous! ya know..

You make it sound like jealous is a bad thing(obviously it can be but let me explain in this case), as a Jets fan I am completely jealous of the Pats recent success. It doesn't mean I want to be a Pats fan it just means I want the Jets to be able to achieve what the Pats have achieved. The destination is not alot of fun w/o the journey which is why the Sox Championship last year was so special for you guys and the '96 WS was so special for myself b/c I was too young to remember '77 & '78. I think it's only natural for a fan of any team to have jealousy over the Yanks winning 26 Championships.

I heard Wilbon say on PTI not too long ago that the Red Sox went from the loveable losers to hateable winners.
All this smack aimed at A-Rod is pretty childish if you ask me.
Espeically the smack from Millar.
This is, after all, the same man who went on SC and said how hed love to have A-Rod on the team(while Garciaparra was still a Red Sock).
:nono:

tehMick said:
I heard Wilbon say on PTI not too long ago that the Red Sox went from the loveable losers to hateable winners.
All this smack aimed at A-Rod is pretty childish if you ask me.
Espeically the smack from Millar.
This is, after all, the same man who went on SC and said how hed love to have A-Rod on the team(while Garciaparra was still a Red Sock).
:nono:

lol, a-rod started it anyway with whatever he said to get Nixon pissed.. a-rod's a pansy.. after he slapped arroyo on the arm in the playoffs and his subsequent facial expressions made him look like such a whining pu$$y.

nyjunc said:
You make it sound like jealous is a bad thing(obviously it can be but let me explain in this case), as a Jets fan I am completely jealous of the Pats recent success. It doesn't mean I want to be a Pats fan it just means I want the Jets to be able to achieve what the Pats have achieved. The destination is not alot of fun w/o the journey which is why the Sox Championship last year was so special for you guys and the '96 WS was so special for myself b/c I was too young to remember '77 & '78. I think it's only natural for a fan of any team to have jealousy over the Yanks winning 26 Championships.

Yea but your jealous of something that happned after you became a jet fan... I'm jealous of the pats too. The yankees are a different story though.. The yankees had a storied history before I became a fan of the sport.. If I (and sox fans like me) gave a **** about the yankees and all their winning ways we would have been bronx fans but to a lot of fans, it's all about rootin' for the underdog.

FiN.in.RI said:
Yea but your jealous of something that happned after you became a jet fan... I'm jealous of the pats too. The yankees are a different story though.. The yankees had a storied history before I became a fan of the sport.. If I (and sox fans like me) gave a **** about the yankees and all their winning ways we would have been bronx fans but to a lot of fans, it's all about rootin' for the underdog.
and underdog doesn't have the second highest payroll in the league. If you wanna root for the underdog go root for KC or Pittsburgh.

MikeO said:
and underdog doesn't have the second highest payroll in the league. If you wanna root for the underdog go root for KC or Pittsburgh.

I've been a fan of the Red Sox for 15 years. When I start out a fan of a team, I die a fan of that team.

Don't take what I say out of context next time. :rolleyes:

FiN.in.RI said:
I've been a fan of the Red Sox for 15 years. When I start out a fan of a team, I die a fan of that team.

Don't take what I say out of context next time. :rolleyes:
You said you root for the underdog. How is a team with a high payroll from a big market an underdog?

The Cubs aren't an underdog? Because you LOSE all of the time doesn't make you an underdog? If you spend money and lose, you aren't an underdog.

FiN.in.RI said:
lol, a-rod started it anyway with whatever he said to get Nixon pissed.. a-rod's a pansy.. after he slapped arroyo on the arm in the playoffs and his subsequent facial expressions made him look like such a whining pu$$y.

I find it hysterical that the Sox and their fans make fun of ARod for slapping at Arroyo's glove. These are the same Sox that in the '03 playoff fight had a player throw down an 80 yr old man, another player "charge" the mound never dropping the bat, the next year's fight had their catcher remain in full gear and mash his glove in the face of another player, 3 Sox ganged up on 1 Yankee and scratched him in the face, the same player who threw down an 80 yr old man the year before now ran to the clubhouse b/c Zim was no longer a Yankee to square off w/. Make fun of ARod all you want but there aren't a bigger group of *****'s than the Sox.

It's normal, just admit it. Whether they won alot before or after you were born. I'm not syaing jealous enough to want to become a Yankee fan but jealous of all the winning the Yanks have done and wishing the Sox could do it. I just can't buy it that someone isn't jealous of that so stop w/ the charade it's nothing to be ashamed of.

As Michael Wilbon said on David Letterman Thursday Night........"What the hell has Trot Nixon ever done and why do we care what he has to say?"

nyjunc said:
It's normal, just admit it. Whether they won alot before or after you were born. I'm not syaing jealous enough to want to become a Yankee fan but jealous of all the winning the Yanks have done and wishing the Sox could do it. I just can't buy it that someone isn't jealous of that so stop w/ the charade it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Again, whatever makes you sleep at night.

I honestly don't care if you buy it or not, if I wanted to be a yankee fan, I would have been. It really is as simple as that. I'm not jealous of the yankees and I never will be..

Back
Top Bottom