Report: Rey Maualuga working out and Signs for Dolphins | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: Rey Maualuga working out and Signs for Dolphins

What happened to him that last year with the Bengals?

Maualuga saw his playing time decrease significantly as last year wore on, struggling to produce at the level of previous seasons. Maualuga played on just 30 percent of defensive snaps compared to 57 percent in 2015.

Now 30 years old, the trend wasn't going to reverse.

"He realizes the way the league is now," defensive coordinator Paul Guenther said at the NFL Scouting Combine in early March. "I tell Rey a lot he's synonymous with the fullback. The run-stopping linebacker is the fullback, as soon as you see the fullback run on the field he can run on, too. But that doesn't happen very often."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...hy-bengals-released-lb-rey-maualuga/99623618/

I think this is part of it- as we said teams are more in nickel but we need a run stuffing LB on the roster.

Maualuga saw his playing time decrease significantly as last year wore on, struggling to produce at the level of previous seasons. Maualuga played on just 30 percent of defensive snaps compared to 57 percent in 2015.

Now 30 years old, the trend wasn't going to reverse.

"He realizes the way the league is now," defensive coordinator Paul Guenther said at the NFL Scouting Combine in early March. "I tell Rey a lot he's synonymous with the fullback. The run-stopping linebacker is the fullback, as soon as you see the fullback run on the field he can run on, too. But that doesn't happen very often."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...hy-bengals-released-lb-rey-maualuga/99623618/

I think this is part of it- as we said teams are more in nickel but we need a run stuffing LB on the roster.
Thanks I think I was reading the story while you were posting it.:biggrin

Jeff Ireland left the building several years ago and nobody else would be so stupid to sign up for a repeat of that expensive disaster. Please do not entertain the thought of Philip Wheeler returning. Not funny.

If you've ever seen wheeler in person, you'd wonder how the hell does he play Lber in the NFL. His lower body is tiny. He isn't big overall. I was shocked to see how small he was

when the bengals brought in Minter to replace Maualuga the bengals NFL site (mid March 2017) said:
1. They wanted to be younger. 30 vs 26.
2. They wanted better pass coverage from the position.
3. Wanted a three down LBr. Maualuga played only 23 snaps per game in 2016.
Maualuga was rated 55 of 59 backers and 75th in pass protection. (Not sure how u r 75th out of 59 but just quoting the article).

They did say he was a tenacious run stopper, and played more games as Cin LBr than anyone else.
Seems like this may be a good deal for us. Minimum money and although only a two down back we need his run defense.

I almost want to say… "Tank" like Indianapolis did a few years back when Peyton went down. But that ain't going to happen. I see us going somewhere between 8 – 8 or 6 – 10 and falling short of that player we really need in the draft.

Bro why we should tank a whole year, because we lost a second round draft pick, and a rotational defensive back.

Lets pretend that RT17 was going to lead us to a SB and set the all time scoring record though. Yeah right.

Like bro u brought up the Peyton situation lol. Apples and hand grenades, not even oranges.

Last edited:
We have at least 11 games against elite or very good running backs so I think we need all the help we can get

Rumors that tj yeldon may be released. I'd see that as upgrades to both our 2nd and 3rd team options at rb and would clear drake for first team kick return duties

Rumors that tj yeldon may be released. I'd see that as upgrades to both our 2nd and 3rd team options at rb and would clear drake for first team kick return duties
Not a Drake guy huh? Drake looks good to me

when the bengals brought in Minter to replace Maualuga the bengals NFL site (mid March 2017) said:
1. They wanted to be younger. 30 vs 26.
2. They wanted better pass coverage from the position.
3. Wanted a three down LBr. Maualuga played only 23 snaps per game in 2016.
Maualuga was rated 55 of 59 backers and 75th in pass protection. (Not sure how u r 75th out of 59 but just quoting the article).

They did say he was a tenacious run stopper, and played more games as Cin LBr than anyone else.
Seems like this may be a good deal for us. Minimum money and although only a two down back we need his run defense.

Well what they got in minter is another 2 down tackle to tackles type albeit undersized. Solid 2 down player though

Ajayi, yeldon, drake, Williams active on game day looks a lot better to me.

Yeldon fits the scheme and he has great feet. He can run inside the tackles also which none of our depth options can do.

I'd take him on what's left of that rookie contract wouldn't clear waivers with me.

We should have waited for the cuts! I'm sure there would be some surprised cuts.

Back
Top Bottom