Reshad Jones restructures contract | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Reshad Jones restructures contract

So how does this all work over the course of his contract vis-a-via can hits each year?

Thanks Rashad. You’re a team player. As for the teams cap future, this will hurt at the end of the contract or in a year or 2 when Miami considers releasing Jones.

Just added an extra $6M to guaranteed money....

Thats the problem, I don't know why everyone on here is praising the player and saying great move. These are the moves that have gotten us in trouble to begin with (see Suh's restructure). No player is taking less money when they do a restructure, it is the opposite. Hopefully they pushed most of the money only until next year when we should have a little more space, and not 4 yrs down the road making him uncuttable.

you can always manipulate the cap. there are players that are willing to restructure. if you need space in a current year there is never a really good reason not to do it.

If I were the player I would do it, but only for some sort of raise or extra guaranteed money.

sills, branch, and Alonso all restructure base salary to bonus

Just more kicking the can down the road.

Sure it helps this incompetent front office out today and Reshad gets a nice healthy upfront payment for his troubles . . . But when he is 32 and potentially out of his prime, yet we are faced with a 15 million dollar cap hit and a 5 million dollar dead cap hit to cut bait . . . You get the same outrage you get with Suh.

**** has got to get better on the contract front from these guys.

Didn’t originally think about this... yeah it will again suck years down the road, but hey maybe Tbum will be gone by then and the cap is being more well managed.... LOL

Doesn't help us at all unless you're equating helping with freeing up money now to screw themselves down the line.

It's the same thing that happened with Suh and many of the same reactions. I expect the same result.

I'm going to ask a question that I really don't know the answer to. Why would a player not agree to a restructure of his contract? It seems like he's making the same salary it's just a matter of moving the numbers around so where is the negative to doing so?
Because the money he was going to maybe get paid if he wasn't cut in future years is now given to him immediately in the form of a bonus. There's no "good guy Rashad" in this. No player would ever refuse a restructure, since it's entirely in their benefit.

In other words, it's like your boss came to you and said, "how would you like me to guarantee next year's salary for you? Except I'd pay it to you right now?"

Last edited:
guys, restructure is not the same as a pay cut. He will still get the same amount in case you're wondering

Ozzy rules!!
Exactly. It's not a pay cut, it's merely postponing some of Jones' 2018 cap number to 2019, 2020 and 2021. He still receives the same money this year.

I'm going to ask a question that I really don't know the answer to. Why would a player not agree to a restructure of his contract? It seems like he's making the same salary it's just a matter of moving the numbers around so where is the negative to doing so?
In this case there is no negative for the player. Usually a restructure is good for the player because it's usually not a pay cut but base salary converted into bonus money and this means immediate payment instead of 16 weekly checks.

Just more kicking the can down the road.

Sure it helps this incompetent front office out today and Reshad gets a nice healthy upfront payment for his troubles . . . But when he is 32 and potentially out of his prime, yet we are faced with a 15 million dollar cap hit and a 5 million dollar dead cap hit to cut bait . . . You get the same outrage you get with Suh.

**** has got to get better on the contract front from these guys.
That's the point.

All this team player stuff . . . Reshad has proven before that he will hold out once his guaranteed money is up . . . Even with TWO years left on a deal.

This is about him getting cash today, as it should be . . . The team benefiting in the process is a distant second. He knows he is expendable in 2 or 3 years, may as well get the money now, increase the dead cap hit down the road and give the team a tough decision on whether to take on dead cap or keep him around later in the contract.
Correct, nothing do with him being a team player.

If I were the player I would do it, but only for some sort of raise or extra guaranteed money.
He did it because he gets the full 8.4 million now instead of later this year in 16 installments.

If the team is out of money, deal with it. Sign low priced guys. We are gonna be bad this year anyway. Restructuring kills us in future years and keep us out of the playoffs. Look at what happened with Suh. We made a questionable signing even worse by guaranteeing more of his contract. Ross, this is on you. Grow some balls and tell your coach and GM that they have to make do with their available resources. No bonus swaps and no trading future picks. Succeed on your own merit or get out of the way for the next guy

How does restructuring kill us in future years? We're talking about $6 million dollars here.

In Reshad's case, that should be distributed evenly over the remaining years of his contract. He was likely getting all the money required in this contract, so there are no future ramifications.

If he gets cuts, the remaining pro-rata portion of the guarantee would come on the year he was cut, unless a June 1 designation, then it can be divided between the cut year and the following year.

We have extensive cap space already in '19 and '20, and that was with Suh and his contract still on the roster.

And, even if we didn't, restructure someone else.

But we do.

Don't get wrapped up in the money aspect unless you're signing Suh type contracts every year.

Back
Top Bottom