Rex Ryan Looks Depleted... | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rex Ryan Looks Depleted...

The Jets run recently wasn't successful?

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

You make it seem like it's so common for Super Bowl winning teams to win the next 25 Super Bowls.

The jets didn't miss 2 of 3 postseasons and not win a single postseason game. They won 4 postseason games, made 2 title games- that's a success.

is winning a postseason game too much to ask for? making the playoffs more than you miss? you think GB will go the next 2 years missing the playoffs? NO won a playoff game this year, Pitt was back in the SB 2 years later,...

The jets didn't miss 2 of 3 postseasons and not win a single postseason game. They won 4 postseason games, made 2 title games- that's a success.

is winning a postseason game too much to ask for? making the playoffs more than you miss? you think GB will go the next 2 years missing the playoffs? NO won a playoff game this year, Pitt was back in the SB 2 years later,...

All true.

And the Giants have still won more SBs (other than Pitts and NE) than any of those teams. I'd rather do that than anything else.

All true.

And the Giants have still won more SBs (other than Pitts and NE) than any of those teams. I'd rather do that than anything else.

I would trade for what they have done obviously but they didn't have successful seasons overall in the 3 seasons btw their SBs.

Clarify the highlighted part. That didn't make sense to me. No joke, I really didn't understand it.

This goes back to phinz saying in order for him to call a team elite they needed to win the SB then have success in the next few years. Coming off a SB how is missing the playoffs 67% of the time and winning zero playoff games considered a success?

This goes back to phinz saying in order for him to call a team elite they needed to win the SB then have success in the next few years. Coming off a SB how is missing the playoffs 67% of the time and winning zero playoff games considered a success?
I would have to agree with Phinz. I mean there are plenty of teams that won the Super Bowl and couldn't get back to the playoffs the next year. So I definitely wouldn't consider those teams elite. Nor would I conisder teams that constantly make the playoffs every year, or every other year, elite. I would consider those teams upper echelon/outstanding, but not elite. But teams like the Patriots and the Steelers most definitely are elite. I would consider the Colts (with Manning), Chargers, Ravens and the Packers upper echelon/outstanding teams. With the Jets just outside that bubble. If they can make the playoffs again this year, then I will lump them in with those teams. That is just my opinion.

I would have to agree with Phinz. I mean there are plenty of teams that won the Super Bowl and couldn't get back to the playoffs the next year. So I definitely wouldn't consider those teams elite. Nor would I conisder teams that constantly make the playoffs every year, or every other year, elite. I would consider those teams upper echelon/outstanding, but not elite. But teams like the Patriots and the Steelers most definitely are elite. I would consider the Colts (with Manning), Chargers, Ravens and the Packers upper echelon/outstanding teams. With the Jets just outside that bubble. If they can make the playoffs again this year, then I will lump them in with those teams. That is just my opinion.

any team that wins a SB is elite and they get a pass for the next season w/ the SB hangover but 3 years of zero playoff wins and that's not a success.

How can you consider the Chargers ahead of us when we have had more postseason success in the last decade including going 2-0 in postseason AT San Diego? Bal has had similar success, if you inclide 2000 Bal beats us but if it's '01-present the teams are very close.

SD has had SB talent and hasn't done much w/ it. Let's go 2001-2011:

playoff apps:

Bal 7
NYJ 6
SD 5

playoff wins:

Bal 6
NYJ 6
SD 3

WC record:

Bal 4-1
NYJ 4-2
SD 2-1

div rd record:

NYJ 2-2
Bal 2-4
SD 1-3

Title game apps(none of these teams has won one)

NYJ 2
Bal 2
SD 1

The Jets and ravens are pretty even w/ SD behind both

.625 winning percentage is a successful run. It isn't the ultimate successful run but it's still successful. Hell, you like to bemoan the Giants playoff game at S.F. saying a few calls went their way to help them win. It seems like you haven't really given them the full credit they deserve anyway.

I get that they're the rival team in your favorite team's city but it is what it is.

I'd call these different levels like this: Elite, Upper Echelon, Average to Good, and Mediocre.

As I've said time and time again, you have to get to and win a Super Bowl before even being considered elite. If the Giants didn't win this past year, they wouldn't be considered elite to me. They weren't elite after 2007 even with their SB win.

Elite - Giants, Patriots, Steelers
Upper Echelon teams - Packers, Saints, Ravens
Average to Good - Jets, Eagles, Chargers, Falcons, 49ers, Cowboys, Titans, Bengals, Bears
Mediocre - Everyone else

any team that wins a SB is elite and they get a pass for the next season w/ the SB hangover but 3 years of zero playoff wins and that's not a success.

How can you consider the Chargers ahead of us when we have had more postseason success in the last decade including going 2-0 in postseason AT San Diego? Bal has had similar success, if you inclide 2000 Bal beats us but if it's '01-present the teams are very close.

SD has had SB talent and hasn't done much w/ it. Let's go 2001-2011:

playoff apps:

Bal 7
NYJ 6
SD 5

playoff wins:

Bal 6
NYJ 6
SD 3

WC record:

Bal 4-1
NYJ 4-2
SD 2-1

div rd record:

NYJ 2-2
Bal 2-4
SD 1-3

Title game apps(none of these teams has won one)

NYJ 2
Bal 2
SD 1

The Jets and ravens are pretty even w/ SD behind both

I was using your formula of only counting the past three years. That and when i think of outstanding teams i usually think of division winners too. And yes i alread looked it up but with the Patriots in the division its hard to remember that there have been other AFC East champs. So anyway on this occasion you didn't use the three year timeline. So from the extended timeline, sure the Jets are in that group.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I would trade for what they have done obviously but they didn't have successful seasons overall in the 3 seasons btw their SBs.

Who the hell cares???? IF the Jests ever make the Super Bowl again in your lifetime, you might understand how awesome an accomplishment winning even one Super Bowl is. Going only three years between not just appearances, but wins, is %@*( amazing! You simply don't get it.

BTW, one of those "unsuccessful" seasons enabled the Gnats to draft Hakeem Nicks and another one Jason Pierre-Paul, so there was a silver lining to that supposed lack of success.

I was using your formula of only counting the past three years. That and when i think of outstanding teams i usually think of division winners too. And yes i alread looked it up but with the Patriots in the division its hard to remember that there have been other AFC East champs. So anyway on this occasion you didn't use the three year timeline. So from the extended timeline, sure the Jets are in that group.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I assumed you were talking more years, the last 3 years it's easier- how in the world can you say SD has been better?

2009-2011 playoff apps:

NE 3
Bal 3
NYJ 2
Pitt 2
Ind 2
Cin 2
Den 1
SD 1
KC 1
Hou 1

playoff wins:

NYJ 4
Bal 3
NE 2
Ind 2
Pit 2
Hou 1

title game apps:

NYJ 2
NE 1
Bal 1
Ind 1
Pit 1

AFC Champs:
NE 1
Ind 1
Pit 1

let's say 2 pts for playoff app, 3 for WC win, 4 for div rd win, 5 for title game win

NYJ 18
Bal 16
NE 15
Pit 13
Ind 13
Hou 5
Cin 4
SD 2
KC 2

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

Who the hell cares???? IF the Jests ever make the Super Bowl again in your lifetime, you might understand how awesome an accomplishment winning even one Super Bowl is. Going only three years between not just appearances, but wins, is %@*( amazing! You simply don't get it.

BTW, one of those "unsuccessful" seasons enabled the Gnats to draft Hakeem Nicks and another one Jason Pierre-Paul, so there was a silver lining to that supposed lack of success.

how would you undersatnd how "awesome of an accomplishment" it is to win a SB?

I get that 3 seasons w/ 1 playoff app and 2 times missing would be cause for celebration in orchard Park but for a team coming off a SB that is not a success.

I assumed you were talking more years, the last 3 years it's easier- how in the world can you say SD has been better?

2009-2011 playoff apps:

NE 3
Bal 3
NYJ 2
Pitt 2
Ind 2
Cin 2
Den 1
SD 1
KC 1
Hou 1

playoff wins:

NYJ 4
Bal 3
NE 2
Ind 2
Pit 2
Hou 1

title game apps:

NYJ 2
NE 1
Bal 1
Ind 1
Pit 1

AFC Champs:
NE 1
Ind 1
Pit 1

let's say 2 pts for playoff app, 3 for WC win, 4 for div rd win, 5 for title game win

NYJ 18
Bal 16
NE 15
Pit 13
Ind 13
Hou 5
Cin 4
SD 2
KC 2

Let's say 50 points for a SB appearance and 100 for a win. Guess who has the most points then on your 8th grade Mr. Popularity scale?

Let's say 50 points for a SB appearance and 100 for a win. Guess who has the most points then on your 8th grade Mr. Popularity scale?

we'd have to adjust the other points. The jets played better teams in their title game runs than NE did in their SB run- that has to factor into it to.

No matter what way you slice it the jets have been an elite team the last 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom