Ricky a pot head? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky a pot head?

my opinion on this (I am not a regular smoker, but I'll enjoy a nice joint every now and then) is that there are those who are naturally motivated in life and have their "heads on straight" so to say. And there are those who are much more satisfied by immediate gratification. Either one is perfectly fine. But, I really think through my experiences, I've learned that those who are the latter are naturally less motivated in life for the long term, therefore much more easily becoming "addicted" to pot, as they seek immediate gratification through it. By coming "addicted" to it, the pot acts as a catalyst for those type of people, causing them to loose motivation in life.

Essentially, what I'm saying is that I believe there are some people (like me) who can smoke pot all they want, regularly or not regularly, and whose lifestyle will not be detrimentally affected by it. Then there are others who willl be detrimentally affected by it, just because of their natural personality. IMO, It all depends on your natural personality developed mainly through genetics and childhood.

As for RW, with the limited information I know, I think the pot is not a significant factor at all in his decision to quit football and become "free," as he puts it. I think the pot corresponds to his personality (with his search for "freedom" and all that), and therefore he's attracted to it, but I don't think he has been significatly detrimentally affected by it. Maybe it's inspired him to do his own thing a little, but ot really significntly. just my opinion.

finfanatic99 said:
Oliver, close..... i'm 19. :cooldude:

I agree, too much of everything is bad for you. A person should not live their life soley for a drug or alcohol, and that is when it may be hazardous. I smoke occasionaly when i want to relax and enjoy myself. That is the beauty of marijuana, i am not addicted. I just get upset when people who just don't know a thing about marijuana go around saying ignorant remarks and jump to conclusions.

Everyone is dif, obviously, but you remind me a lot of my neice. She was like you, close to your age, she was younger 17 when she was doing what you were doing and still doing well in school, very well in fact. She was doing so well she was accepted to Duke when she was 17. Well she didn't end up going. The reason being, in her case, pot and beer were her gateway drugs that dragged her in deeper and she got hooked on cocaine. Since my neice has been 17, she's now 22, she has been fighting this addiction, and it's all because of pot and alochol. If it weren't for pot and beer she never would have done cocaine. Her words not mine.

FYI everyone I have ever known to use MJ, always says I am not addicted. Let me ask you this, give it up for a month and then get back to me if you are not addicted to it or not? If you are using it to relax I'd venture to guess you are in fact addictted to it, and in time it won't long be able to do the job any longer, and you will have to find something to replace it.

I hope I'm wrong, I hope you are one of these rare ppl who's above it all some how.

Oliver...

SkapePhin said:

Our nation loses Billions of dollars from these legal drugs. This only proves my point.

Well then.. be consistent no? Either legalize all three of these basically on par drugs, or just ban them all.. Oh.. we tried that before? And it didnt work? Why? Because people actually needed something to aid them in escaping the stresses and mundanities of everyday life from time to time? Oh... that sucks.. And now the companies peddling these legal drugs are making billions of dollars exploiting our populace and feeding the pockets of politicians in order to secure their agenda?

Face it, Marijuana is illegal because of its image as an anti-establishment drug, a slacker drug.. Whereas, alcohol and tobacco have been associated with high society for quite some time... Its a little more difficult to ban such an accepted, yet equally harmful substance..

I am being consistent. I believe we shouldn't make it worse by legalizing more harmful things for consumption by our youth. If you want to enable our youth to be more experimental more power to you. I beleive the youth have it hard enough, and as adults we should do our best to make the world better not worse.

I do not agree with your last paragraph. That's entirely too paranoid for me to ever think that way.

Oliver...

Ohall, I appreciate this civil discussion.. But I feel you are a little out of touch with the youth. I take it you are some time removed from teenage years right? I am currently 22, and let me tell you.. I have not encountered ONE kid who stayed away from marijuana because of its illegality.. I attended a catholic high school mixed with upper/middle class kids and the occasional borderline middle class kid.. And you know what occured? The rich kids were the drug addicts, while these lower class kids supplied because they felt they needed the money and it was the simplest way..

If anything, i feel its illegality is actually a selling point for many teens.. Teens are attracted to anything deemed offensive to the rest of adult society.. Rebelliousness is an integral trait to youth.. Sometimes, they rebel just to rebel. Momma said no? IM DOING IT! This is the mentality of a teen..

The fact is, naturally responsible people arent going to become potheads.. its not physically addictiing.. It does not permanently alter one's personality.. it may reinforce an already unmotivated type personality, but it will not turn a gung ho, motivated kid into a slacker.. it just doesnt. Marijuana isnt heroin or cocaine.. THOSE are physically addictive drugs, where your body feels almost as if it cannot function without the presence of these substances in your body.. Marijuana does not do this...

ohall said:
I am being consistent. I believe we shouldn't make it worse by legalizing more harmful things for consumption by our youth. If you want to enable our youth to be more experimental more power to you. I beleive the youth have it hard enough, and as adults we should do our best to make the world better not worse.

I do not agree with your last paragraph. That's entirely too paranoid for me to ever think that way.

Oliver...

Sorry, I wasnt referring to you in that quote.. I was speaking about the government..

And that final paragraph isnt paranoid at all.. It just common sense.. What is your perception of a casual marijuana user? Got it? Ok.. now compare it with your perception of the casual drinker...

SkapePhin said:
Ohall, I appreciate this civil discussion.. But I feel you are a little out of touch with the youth. I take it you are some time removed from teenage years right? I am currently 22, and let me tell you.. I have not encountered ONE kid who stayed away from marijuana because of its illegality.. I attended a catholic high school mixed with upper/middle class kids and the occasional borderline middle class kid.. And you know what occured? The rich kids were the drug addicts, while these lower class kids supplied because they felt they needed the money and it was the simplest way..

If anything, i feel its illegality is actually a selling point for many teens.. Teens are attracted to anything deemed offensive to the rest of adult society.. Rebelliousness is an integral trait to youth.. Sometimes, they rebel just to rebel. Momma said no? IM DOING IT! This is the mentality of a teen..

The fact is, naturally responsible people arent going to become potheads.. its not physically addictiing.. It does not permanently alter one's personality.. it may reinforce an already unmotivated type personality, but it will not turn a gung ho, motivated kid into a slacker.. it just doesnt. Marijuana isnt heroin or cocaine.. THOSE are physically addictive drugs, where your body feels almost as if it cannot function without the presence of these substances in your body.. Marijuana does not do this...

Yeah I'm 34, but I've spent 9-years working with troubled youths when I was 20-27 and then 30-32. The root of the problem is always illegal drugs. I have seen children who were so screwed up mentally because their mother would sell their body to feed their addiction, some would even include that child in the act to make a bigger amount of $ to score more drugs. I've seen sisters kill sisters, all because they wanted to get their $ so she could score some pot, but the other sister wouldn't give up her $ this time. I've seen drug addicts have children and those children who spend their entire life in mental wards because they were born with with drug inflicted illnesses because their father and or mother were drug addicts.

I can go on and on, but if drugs were not in the picture many of these sickening and disgustiong things never would have happened. Drugs are the root of all evil in this world today. As much as I am against it, I know it's a fight we will lose one day, but I won't go along with it. It cannot ever be accepted by ppl who have seen the EVIL it is. I have seen that EVIL. Maybe you should spend some time working with troubled youths and you'll see exatly what I'm talking about.

Oliver...

SkapePhin said:
Sorry, I wasnt referring to you in that quote.. I was speaking about the government..

And that final paragraph isnt paranoid at all.. It just common sense.. What is your perception of a casual marijuana user? Got it? Ok.. now compare it with your perception of the casual drinker...

I don't agree with either. I don't drink, smoke, or use illegal drugs. And I think ppl that do shouldn't, it's a weak thing for ppl do IMO. However alochol is legal and pot is not. If someone disagrees with this I think they shouldn't break the law but they should write their congress person so they can try and change the laws if that's what they think is appropriate.

Oliver...

Selling their bodies for Marijuana? Wow.. Never have I even heard of that.. Heroin seems to be the prostitute drug of choice.. that is the dangerous one.. the one that grips you and never lets you go..

I understand the horrible things that some people will do in order to feed their addictions.. But the same can be said of any other vice, including greed.. Its the sad fate of humanity.. there were always be pain.. there were always be despair.. there will always be hopelessness in the world.

It is my belief these same people would be in a similar situation even without drugs... When people are lost, they are lost.. and they search for something, anything to fill that hurtful void..even forsaking things that should be foremost in their lives.. The best thing to do for these people is to aid them.. What you did was great.. but you cannot paint the world with a broad stroke.. Not all marijuana users are in such a state.. Many just use it as a brief form of escapism.. ALL humans need to escape from the realities of life from time to time.. Its essential.. Yet, everyone's form of escapism varies.. Some drink, some watch sports, some play games, some read, some have casual sex, some smoke pot..

ohall said:
Yeah I'm 34, but I've spent 9-years working with troubled youths when I was 20-27 and then 30-32. The root of the problem is always illegal drugs. I have seen children who were so screwed up mentally because their mother would sell their body to feed their addiction, some would even include that child in the act to make a bigger amount of $ to score more drugs. I've seen sisters kill sisters, all because they wanted to get their $ so she could score some pot, but the other sister wouldn't give up her $ this time. I've seen drug addicts have children and those children who spend their entire life in mental wards because they were born with with drug inflicted illnesses because their father and or mother were drug addicts.

I can go on and on, but if drugs were not in the picture many of these sickening and disgustiong things never would have happened. Drugs are the root of all evil in this world today. As much as I am against it, I know it's a fight we will lose one day, but I won't go along with it. It cannot ever be accepted by ppl who have seen the EVIL it is. I have seen that EVIL. Maybe you should spend some time working with troubled youths and you'll see exatly what I'm talking about.

Oliver...
Is Osama Bin Laden evil because of drugs? Did Saddam Hussein rule Iraq with an iron fist because he wanted to get high? I dont think so.

Maybe the time you spend with troubled youths only lets you see the drug addicts and not ppl you use it recreationally without it ruining their life.

SkapePhin said:
Selling their bodies for Marijuana? Wow.. Never have I even heard of that.. Heroin seems to be the prostitute drug of choice.. that is the dangerous one.. the one that grips you and never lets you go..

I understand the horrible things that some people will do in order to feed their addictions.. But the same can be said of any other vice, including greed.. Its the sad fate of humanity.. there were always be pain.. there were always be despair.. there will always be hopelessness in the world.

It is my belief these same people would be in a similar situation even without drugs... When people are lost, they are lost.. and they search for something, anything to fill that hurtful void..even forsaking things that should be foremost in their lives.. The best thing to do for these people is to aid them.. What you did was great.. but you cannot paint the world with a broad stroke.. Not all marijuana users are in such a state.. Many just use it as a brief form of escapism.. ALL humans need to escape from the realities of life from time to time.. Its essential.. Yet, everyone's form of escapism varies.. Some drink, some watch sports, some play games, some read, some have casual sex, some smoke pot..

No they didn't sell their bodies for pot, at least that I can remember, but that was the drug that got them hooked on harder drugs that led them to do the horrible things they did to score some crack cocaine. That was my point. I don't think if that mother had taken pot that she would have gone into crack and in turn she wouldn't have done what she did to score her crack. She never would have ruined her childs life IMO. I have no way to prove that however.

I have seen cases where sisters, brothers or friends kill each other because they tried to steal $ to get pot, or even to steal that pot to smoke. obviously they had deep er problems, but pot was the excuse they used to act out. Maybe if they didn't have that excuse they never would have killed someone. Again I can't prove that, it's just what I believe.

Granted we are talking about an addictive personalities here, but we don't need to give ppl who have these types of personalities more options to become addicted. That's all I'm saying.

Oliver...

VJ1252 said:
Is Osama Bin Laden evil because of drugs? Did Saddam Hussein rule Iraq with an iron fist because he wanted to get high? I dont think so.

Maybe the time you spend with troubled youths only lets you see the drug addicts and not ppl you use it recreationally without it ruining their life.

The 1st paragraph is just out of line. No need to take this THREAD out of context. We were talking about specific things here, no need to take my use of "all" out of context.

The 2nd paragraph, possibly, and further obviously I couldn't comment on something I do not have an experience with.

I do however know how drug addiction rips entire families a part for more than one generation. This in part is what I meant by the root of all evil. It has nothing to do with terrorist madmen.

Oliver...

SkapePhin said:

First off, I think all drugs "grip and don't let go". It's just the way it is. Some take a physical grip, others a psicological, but it's always the same story...

Indeed, if not drugs, people would use another form of pulling away from it all. Some use the bible, too. To me, it's a question of education, that's all. If you're brought up to think drinking is a viable excuse to pull away, you'll drink, no problem.

Two more little points: Yes, I am THAT old. Thank you. And I believe this should be moved. :D

Yet, do you realize that this perceived gateway drug is actually a spiritual drug in some cultures? I am sure you have heard of the Rastas.. A christian sect based in Jamaica.. These people use marijuana as a meditation tool, a way, they feel to better understand and communicate with God.. They do not go from this somewhat harmless drug and start shooting up heroin.. Its all relative.

IMO, ALCOHOL is the gateway drug.. And if you want to go even further back... CAFFEINE is the gateway drug.. the first drug any child ever tries.

ohall said:
The 1st paragraph is just out of line. No need to take this THREAD out of context. We were talking about a specific things here, no need to take my use of "all" out of context.

The 2nd paragraph, possibly, and further obviously I couldn't comment on something I do not have an experience with.

I do however know how drug addiction rips entire families a part for more than one generation. This in part is what I meant by the root of all evil. It has nothing to do with terrorist madmen.

Oliver...
Couldn't agree more. One of my brothers died because of his drinking problems... ever since then, our family (specially me) has been very touchy about drinking... heck, I've had 3 drinks the last 10 years - curiosly, one just last sunday morning... hmm...

sbh1602 said:
Couldn't agree more. One of my brothers died because of his drinking problems... ever since then, our family (specially me) has been very touchy about drinking... heck, I've had 3 drinks the last 10 years - curiosly, one just last sunday morning... hmm...

I'm sorry to hear that man, truely.

I fear my sister will be burring her daughter soon because drugs are ruling her daughters life.

I hate drugs; it's such a horrible thing!

Oliver...

Back
Top Bottom