Rodgers, product of system? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rodgers, product of system?

LZoeller12

Starter
Reaction score
Does anybody else think that Aaron Rodgers is just a product of a good system. If Jeff Tedford wasn't a brilliant offensive mind, would he even be a first day pick?

Sure he had a great JC career, but so did I, and many others. I don't think he is as good as people think, and doesn't even stack up against Kyle Boller. And look at him.

What do you all think?

Only the future will tell us. Some QB's look like all world ...and then their world crashes, once they play in the NFL.

LZoeller12 said:
Does anybody else think that Aaron Rodgers is just a product of a good system.
No.
LZoeller12 said:
If Jeff Tedford wasn't a brilliant offensive mind, would he even be a first day pick?
Yes.

LZoeller12 said:
Sure he had a great JC career, but so did I,
Did you play D-1 ball and lead a historically mediocre program to an 18-8 record (including 10-2 last year)?
LZoeller12 said:
and doesn't even stack up against Kyle Boller.
Uh, yeah he does. Boller sucked his first 3 years and he still only completed 53% of his passes as a senior. Rodgers completed 66% last year.

LIQUID24 said:
No.Yes.

Did you play D-1 ball and lead a historically mediocre program to an 18-8 record (including 10-2 last year)? Uh, yeah he does. Boller sucked his first 3 years and he still only completed 53% of his passes as a senior. Rodgers completed 66% last year.

Lets not forget he had a running back that ran for 1845 yds. That always helps a QB.

I have no doubt that being in Tedford's system helped Rodgers. IMO certain sytems will improve a QB's comp. %. However, once you get over 65% you're damn accurate regardless of the system. Accuracy is one of the most important attributes a QB needs for NFL success. I have no doubt about Rodger's accuracy. He is light years ahead of Boller who had very questionable accuracy in the same system.

Look at talent. Boller blows him away.

Look at the team, JJ Arrington rushed for 1800 yards. Boller never had that. Or a receiver, or an o-lineman.

Look at that Cal defense. Top 5 in D-1.

There were a lot of factors that had to do with Cal's turn around, and I don't think that Rodgers is necessarily the person who did it.

Look at Tedford's track record. The qb's he's groomed, Joey Harrington? Come on.

He's a product of the system!

This question had some limited impetus before the combine, but not now.

Rodgers is far and away the best pro prospect at QB in this year's draft, both in terms of physical tools and intangibles. That's not a knock on Alex Smith, but a proper assessment of the difference.

rafael said:
I have no doubt that being in Tedford's system helped Rodgers. IMO certain sytems will improve a QB's comp. %. However, once you get over 65% you're damn accurate regardless of the system. Accuracy is one of the most important attributes a QB needs for NFL success. I have no doubt about Rodger's accuracy. He is light years ahead of Boller who had very questionable accuracy in the same system.
Don't get me worng guys. I am not arguing for Boller, he's just a good comparison. Had he played under Tedford for two years though, I think he'd be putting up those kind of numbers. Crossing patterns and slants, hitches, and 10 yard option routes aren't hard balls to throw.

I just don't think that he is as good as everyone says he is.

Watch next year's qb at Cal. Bet he has good numbers too. Whoever it is?

LZoeller12 said:
Look at talent. Boller blows him away.

Look at the team, JJ Arrington rushed for 1800 yards. Boller never had that. Or a receiver, or an o-lineman.

Look at that Cal defense. Top 5 in D-1.

There were a lot of factors that had to do with Cal's turn around, and I don't think that Rodgers is necessarily the person who did it.

Look at Tedford's track record. The qb's he's groomed, Joey Harrington? Come on.

He's a product of the system!

The only thing Boller has over Rodgers is a stronger arm. There's alot more to QBing than that.

rafael said:
The only thing Boller has over Rodgers is a stronger arm. There's alot more to QBing than that.
Exactly. Accuracy, intagibles, mechanics, reading defenses....advantage Rodgers.

In my opinion, there is no quarterback in this draft worth a top 15 pick. Neither guy impressed me at all. I would die if we drafted either one.

Kyle Orton is still the Don of the class. If he hadn't gotten hurt, he'd be far and away the lock for the #1 pick and there wouldn't be any groans about it. You'd laugh at the comparison of Alex Smith, a one year wonder, to Orton's 4 years of consistency. I guess things have a way of working themselves outs. You'll say I told you so

But what do I know...

PackPhin said:
Kyle Orton is still the Don of the class. If he hadn't gotten hurt, he'd be far and away the lock for the #1 pick and there wouldn't be any groans about it. You'd laugh at the comparison of Alex Smith, a one year wonder, to Orton's 4 years of consistency. I guess things have a way of working themselves outs. You'll say I told you so

But what do I know...
I'm gonna go ahead and disagree...

Didn't Boller run a 4.5 forty in the combine.

If you play under the same offense for two years, you learn the reads. It's that simple. What intangibles are we talking about?

It's not his size, his speed, or his arm. What his completion percentage? His leadership?

One more thing on Orton: I assume he's all healed up now. How do you explain his weak showing at the Senior Bowl? In the practices and the actual game. He can't even take a snap from center properly.

Back
Top Bottom