Rodgers, product of system? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rodgers, product of system?

You'll go broke taking an Aaron Rodgers early in round one

I'm talking about the long haul. Rodgers may become a great player, but that type of pick will destroy a franchise if you repeat the philosophy over time.

Again, preseason ratings. Early evaluation. Anyone who dismisses them on the collegiate level is wacko. A Boston College team that didn't even crack the Sporting News preseason top 25 was undefeated and in the top 5 a few weeks ago. If you want to think that's legit, please toss your cash in my direction, and your brain cells elsewhere.

That paragraph is not irrelevant to this topic. You use Marino as an example. Fine. Precisely what I'm referring to. He was always rated a premier prospect and slipped to #27 due to overreaction to his senior year. The truth of his ability was the early and long term rating, not the last minute garbage.

You simply cannot afford to take someone high in round one who shot up out of nowhere. Granted, Rodgers is not the masochistic workout warrior who plays like a 4th rounder then vaults into the top 10 based on weight reps and shuttle runs. But he is the classic example of a secondary type of risk -- mediocre athlete who was not even considered a premier JC player and now you're supposed to believe he is a top 5 guy based on a year or two in an extremely sophisticated collegiate offense. No thank you.

Awsi Dooger said:
I'm talking about the long haul. Rodgers may become a great player, but that type of pick will destroy a franchise if you repeat the philosophy over time.

Again, preseason ratings. Early evaluation. Anyone who dismisses them on the collegiate level is wacko. A Boston College team that didn't even crack the Sporting News preseason top 25 was undefeated and in the top 5 a few weeks ago. If you want to think that's legit, please toss your cash in my direction, and your brain cells elsewhere.

That paragraph is not irrelevant to this topic. You use Marino as an example. Fine. Precisely what I'm referring to. He was always rated a premier prospect and slipped to #27 due to overreaction to his senior year. The truth of his ability was the early and long term rating, not the last minute garbage.

You simply cannot afford to take someone high in round one who shot up out of nowhere. Granted, Rodgers is not the masochistic workout warrior who plays like a 4th rounder then vaults into the top 10 based on weight reps and shuttle runs. But he is the classic example of a secondary type of risk -- mediocre athlete who was not even considered a premier JC player and now you're supposed to believe he is a top 5 guy based on a year or two in an extremely sophisticated collegiate offense. No thank you.

Nice post. Got me thinking. Not changing opinions, but thought-provoking.

LZoeller12 said:
Does anybody else think that Aaron Rodgers is just a product of a good system. If Jeff Tedford wasn't a brilliant offensive mind, would he even be a first day pick?

Sure he had a great JC career, but so did I, and many others. I don't think he is as good as people think, and doesn't even stack up against Kyle Boller. And look at him.

What do you all think?

Kyle Boller is a product of a great combine thats all...he was slated to go in the second or third round then he shot into the first with a monster combine thats all. His accuracy was always a question

Rodgers has been slated has one of the most accurate qbs in college football and his arm is for real. The kid can make all the throws. I think the dolphins should seriously consider him at #2 overall or in the second round if they can get a pick there we should take charlie frye

Back
Top Bottom