Rodgers, product of system? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rodgers, product of system?

I would never have drafted Marino with the 1st or 2nd pick.

According to what you said earlier, you wouldn't have drafted Marino in the 1st round altogether.

Thank god you weren't in that war-room...

LZoeller12 said:
This year there are no sure bets at the qb spot. Period. And the fact that you wouldn't have drafted Marino high, just explains your arguments. Lacking knowledge.

That's ridiculous. 26 teams passed on Marino. I guess they all lack knowledge. In fact, Shula even said he had other QBs rated higher in the draft than Marino. They were just gone by the time #27 came up. I guess he lacks knowledge too.

The fact is that just about every expert has Rodgers and Smith in their top 10 and no other QB is even close. The fact that you claim that the other QBs are equivalent shows your lack of knowledge.

So let me get this straight. If you want to draft a good QB, you have to pick em in the 1st and they have to have over 60% completion over thier career.
If you wait till the later rounds and said Qb is still on the board, that means all the teams that passed over them were very knowledgable for doing so?

Now I'm confused. Where are you suppose to pick a QB if you want a good one?

Of course Tom Brady is laughing at you right about now...

Marino had a great college career. John Elway was the headliner of that draft. But anybody else, was well not quite a sure thing.

I bet you told all your friends just how good ryan leaf was going to be.

The fact is no one knows.

Joey Harrington was the third overall choice, who played in that same system, and look. Bust, even with Mooch there.
Akili Smith played in that same system and threw something like 38 touchdowns in his final year at oregon, and look at him, bust.
David Carr might be the only prospect under that system to have some success in the pros.

There are no Eli Manning's or Phillip Rivers'. Or even JP Losman's for that matter.

That's just the sad truth.

PackPhin said:
According to what you said earlier, you wouldn't have drafted Marino in the 1st round altogether.

Thank god you weren't in that war-room...

That year I thought Marino was a better risk than the alternatives. It's all about balancing risks. My general rule is you don't draft a QB in the first that completes less than 60% of his passes, but you have to consider what your other options are. I didn't think there was any other player with nearly as much upside at that point in the draft. Now I would have taken Elway or Kelly that year above Marino. But drafting isn't an exact science. Nobody is right all the time, but I feel pretty confident about my selections.

PackPhin said:
So let me get this straight. If you want to draft a good QB, you have to pick em in the 1st and they have to have over 60% completion over thier career.
If you wait till the later rounds and said Qb is still on the board, that means all the teams that passed over them were very knowledgable for doing so?

Yeah and Joe Montana too.

PackPhin said:

No player is a sure thing. Every pick is a gamble. So you weigh the odds. You figure out which characteristics are likely to result in success. It's always a guess you just try and make it an educated one.

My criteria for a QB I would take early is:

Division 1 school,
6'2" or taller
60% comp. % (but you have to consider the system. ie. with a run and shoot I might look for a 65%), edit (just 1 year, preferably the last one)
3:1 TD:INT ratio,
avg. NFL arm strength,
top 2 QB personalities (according to Jung based test)

Brady was a fluke. Every NFL team passed him over 5 times. No system is perfect and the truth is I don't analyse every QB, but the I've found that this criteria would have avoided several notable flops.

LZoeller12 said:
Marino had a great college career. John Elway was the headliner of that draft. But anybody else, was well not quite a sure thing.

I bet you told all your friends just how good ryan leaf was going to be.

The fact is no one knows.

Joey Harrington was the third overall choice, who played in that same system, and look. Bust, even with Mooch there.
Akili Smith played in that same system and threw something like 38 touchdowns in his final year at oregon, and look at him, bust.
David Carr might be the only prospect under that system to have some success in the pros.

There are no Eli Manning's or Phillip Rivers'. Or even JP Losman's for that matter.

That's just the sad truth.

Actually I thought that Leaf, Harrington and Smith were all overrated and said so before the draft.

Rodgers would certainly be rated above Rivers and Roth. Smith would be about even with them. IMO Losman wasn't worth a 1st.

rafael said:
No player is a sure thing. Every pick is a gamble. So you weigh the odds. You figure out which characteristics are likely to result in success. It's always a guess you just try and make it an educated one.

My criteria for a QB I would take early is:

Division 1 school,
6'2" or taller
60% comp. % (but you have to consider the system. ie. with a run and shoot I might look for a 65%), edit (just 1 year, preferably the last one)
3:1 TD:INT ratio,
avg. NFL arm strength,
top 2 QB personalities (according to Jung based test)

Brady was a fluke. Every NFL team passed him over 5 times. No system is perfect and the truth is I don't analyse every QB, but the I've found that this criteria would have avoided several notable flops.

So ultimately Shula was an idiot for picking Marino where he did and Tom Brady/Joe Montana were flukes.
Got it!

Wish we'd mistakenly picked Brady though, I tell you that much.
Woulda fluked us into 3 Super Bowls and we wouldn't be having this conversation...

PackPhin said:
So ultimately Shula was an idiot for picking Marino where he did and Tom Brady/Joe Montana were flukes.
Got it!

Wish we'd mistakenly picked Brady though, I tell you that much.
Woulda fluked us into 3 Super Bowls and we wouldn't be having this conversation...

Don't know where you got that Shula was an idiot, unless you just decided to stop reading.

And yes late rd QB rarely succeed. If you look at how many are drafted you'll find that a very small % actually make it. That small % has to be called flukes. If you figure out a way to identify that small % you'll make millions, good luck.

I wish we'd picked Brady as well.

sounds like a bunch of people that didn't see him throw the ball this year.

LZoeller12 said:
Does anybody else think that Aaron Rodgers is just a product of a good system. If Jeff Tedford wasn't a brilliant offensive mind, would he even be a first day pick?

Sure he had a great JC career, but so did I, and many others. I don't think he is as good as people think, and doesn't even stack up against Kyle Boller. And look at him.

What do you all think?

I think your wrong, he has a great arm, perfect mechanics, great accuracy(tied an ncaa record for consecutive completions), intelligent, mobile, there is absolutely nothing to not like about this kid, oh, and hes the ony QB in the last two years to beat USC, he outplayed Leinart both times they faced each other.

NaboCane said:
This question had some limited impetus before the combine, but not now.

Rodgers is far and away the best pro prospect at QB in this year's draft, both in terms of physical tools and intangibles. That's not a knock on Alex Smith, but a proper assessment of the difference.

While I agree that Rodgers might be the best prospect, it does not diminish the fact that he is a "system" QB. Tedford's QBs have not been very successful in the pros...that is a fact...Smith is also a "system" QB, but has about equal ability but is a smarter QB. The fact is, neither of these, the top two prospects, really get the scouts and GMs too excited this year. That's not to say they won't be successful, the league is full of QBs that most thought were not going to make it, but I would be reluctant to spend the #2 overall.

rafael said:
That's ridiculous. 26 teams passed on Marino. I guess they all lack knowledge. In fact, Shula even said he had other QBs rated higher in the draft than Marino. They were just gone by the time #27 came up. I guess he lacks knowledge too.

The fact is that just about every expert has Rodgers and Smith in their top 10 and no other QB is even close. The fact that you claim that the other QBs are equivalent shows your lack of knowledge.

Don Shula had only one QB rated higher in that draft and it was John Elway. Get your facts straight.

Back
Top Bottom