Ross’s PowerRankings. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ross’s PowerRankings.

Ross

Trouble Shooter
Reaction score
Hi, my names Ross and I’ve been doing my own Power rankings for some years now and I thought I’d let people see mine. My power rankings are not the cheep imitation of the College Football poll system that you see dolled out at such sites as CBS sports or ESPN or Sports Ill. My power rankings are a pure point system in which teams gain or lose points based on the final score the game. So teams that win could fall in the Rankings and a team that loses could gain in the poll. But before thinking that it sounds backwards just think that the quality of the competition is the biggest factor when ranking change. That and the final score of the game. Jeff Sagarin Of USATODAY has his own NFL ratings. He gives a much more detailed report on this kind of power rating system as well as other systems. For those who are interested @ This link

He does state on his site “PURE POINTS is also known as PREDICTOR, BALLANTINE, RHEINGOLD, WHITE OWL and is the best single PREDICTOR of future games.â€Â

So here is how I have the teams ranked coming into the 1st week of the season. It’s not how I think the teams should be ranked, rather their power ranking is very close to where they finished last year. It does not take into account of players gone, or coaching changes from last year so I do expect it to move quite a bit after the first week. If you have any comments or questions please ask.

New England--26.8
Philadelphia --26.6
Green Bay --26.4
Indianapolis --26.2
Kansas City --26.0
Tennesse --25.8
Carolinaa --25.6
Denver --25.6
St. Louis --24.4
Baltimore --24.4
Miami --24.0
Seattle0 --24.0
Pittsburgh --22.0
N.Y. Jets --21.6
San Francisco --20.8
New Orleans -- 19.8
Tampa Bay --19.4
Atlanta --19.2
Jacksonville --19.2
Chicago --18.6
Dallas --18.4
Cleveland --17.6
Buffalo --17.2
Minnesota --16.6
Houston --16.2
Washington --15.8
San Diego --15.8
Cincinnati --15.0
Oakland --14.6
Detroit --11.0
Arizona --10.6
N.Y. Giants --10.0

--Ross

BengalsFan said:
Why is Cincinnati ranked so low?

The last 3 week of the season is what killed Cincinnati's Power rating. Before the slide they had a Power rating of 21 which shows a strong ball club. But a bruising 17 point lost to the ravens and rams along with a lackluster three point win over SF caused their plummet…

--Ross

painnotpleasure said:
Why are Dallas and Minnesota ranked so low??

Dallas actually brought their rating up the last few weeks of the year after a crushing lost by 26 to Philly. Beating Washington and Giants soundly and playing The saints closely brought their rating back up.

Minnesota finished the year 3-7. That’s why they are so low…

--Ross

PayTheBills said:
Dallas ended up worse than Chicago, eh?

Sagarin Has Chicago ahead of Dallas also by about the same amount.

The thing about power ratings is it reflects how teams are playing within the last few weeks and not what their overall record is. Chicago finished strong where as Dallas had to bring their's up after a huge loss to Philly. Another week or two would have most likely moved Dallas back ahead of a few teams...

--Ross

Updated Power ratings. After WK1

Green Bay 27.8
New England 27.2
Tennessee 27.0
Denver 26.4
Seattle 26.4
Indianapolis 26.2
Philadelphia 25.2
Kansas City 24.4
Carolina 23.0
St. Louis 22.2
N.Y. Jets 22.0
Cleveland 21.6
Miami 21.6
Atlanta 20.6
Pittsburgh 20.4
Baltimore 20.4
Jacksonville 20.2
Minnesota 19.4
San Francisco 19.4
San Diego 18.0
Tampa Bay 17.8
Washington 17.4
Chicago 17.2
New Orleans 17.0
Oakland 16.2
Buffalo 16.2
Dallas 15.6
Cincinnati 15.0
Houston 14.0
Arizona 12.8
Detroit 12.4
N.Y. Giants 11.2

Power ratings record
Straight up (8-8)
Against the Spread. (7-9)

--Ross

so does week 1 have any reflection from last year? or is it just based off that one game? cause if it was i dont know how det could be below chicago

arsenal said:
so does week 1 have any reflection from last year? or is it just based off that one game? cause if it was i dont know how det could be below chicago

Well yeah. Every team starts where they left off. Normally there is alot of team movement in the first month....

--Ross

Back
Top Bottom