Round 2 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Round 2

I just wrote about Miami's Day Two Draft Preview a few moments ago http://www.dolphinstalk.com/2017/04/dolphins-day-two-preview.html

I think Miami will have a very good CB or GUARD fall into their lap tonight. A starting Guard or a CB who will be a starting Nickle CB day 1 who will play alot next year.

That's what I like about taking a corner. You'd have two very big solid day one contributors (including Harris), and two eventual replacements for Wake/Hayes and Maxwell. We will be picking a CB in round 1 next year if we don't get one now.

I would have liked Foster, but the fact that basically every team passed on him means there's something we don't know that they do. Most Dolphins fans are mad at the fact that they didn't pick Foster rather than understanding why we took Harris. It was a smart pick. Wake has 2-3 seasons left maybe, Hayes in one a one year deal, and Branch really only had one season to show what he has. DE's these days are making like 10 million a year, so it's smart to load up on some younger ones while we still can. Also, he has a great spin move and can pass rush. Sure, he's not great against the run, but everyone knows that and it's not like he is doomed to be bad against the run his whole life. He will probably bulk up and learn along the way. Foster aside, he was the best player available at a position of need. Most mocks I saw had him in the 12-20 range. We go lt fair value.

In the 2nd round, we need a guard, DT or safety. There are some interesting prospects still available and we would almost certainly need to trade up to get them, but we should not. Stay there or try to gather more picks, don't give up picks to move up.

I really wanted Foster as well, however, I'm reading that supposedly his medicals say that he's likely going to need a second shoulder surgery. And with his other "issues" most teams didn't want to spend a 1st on someone with so many question marks medically and mentally. Now knowing this, I feel a lot better about our pick. Sure hope we address the OL issue early in round 2, so we don't have the revolving door on the line again this year.

well word is Foster may need another shoulder surgery that could keep him out part of the year

Glad we stayed away then.

He was the only prospect I wanted more than Harris. Niners can afford to wait on his health and production. Simply put. We need to come out of this draft with a minimum of three day one contributors. We're 1/1 so far.

Very hard to screw this round up. We should all be pretty happy with the result. The only guys who might be in play that I wouldn't be crazy about are Moreau, Witherspoon, Elflein.

Would be happy with any one of Bowser, Baker, Cunningham, McMillan, D. King, Q. Wilson, M. Williams, Lamp, Melifonwu, J. Jones, Awuzie, Everett, Robinson.

I could live with Hodges, Evans, Wormley (would be happier if not for Harris pick), McDowell (ditto), Hall (ditto), Dawkins, K. King, Riley and Pocic.

Coincidentally, that's 22 players and we pick 22nd

I see a number of people asking for a safety. Is a 2nd round pick too much for a player you only plan on playing until TJ McDonald can play at mid-season? Or is the thought that you want to pair a rookie and Jones at safety fulltime and we only have McDonald in the second half of the season as depth? He seems to be too good and too young (26) to just be viewed as a depth safety.

Do any of the top remaining guards also play center? I posted this in the "Pouncey walking with a cane" thread a little while ago

I was just walking home from NSU gym and ran into Pouncey outside Dolphins training camp. He was on crutches, moving very slowly, and looked to be wincing in pain. I know the FO has stated he is on track, but boy, he did not look good. Or thrilled.

imo I don't think they are worried to much about a center this year could draft one late still, but as of now we have 4 players on the team that can play center, if pounce misses time this year again I think you will see them next year target a center early

Honestly, and I said this before the draft, I think Harris could emerge as the best pass rusher from this draft. He does have a ways to go in other aspects of his game, but for a team that struggles to get off the field on third downs could do a lot worse than Harris.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

I think Miami gets an offensive lineman or safety in round two. My bet would be offensive line among maybe Johnson, Elflein, Feeney.

I haven't read this whole trhead but here's what I feel the FO is thinking. I think we can forget about a guard in round 2. I'd like one but I just don't see it happening. If a DT like Worsmley(SP?) falls to us I can see that being the pick but I believe they'll be looking to add a corner that can play the slot and the name to keep on mind is Cordrea Tankersley of Clemson. A FS is also in play. I doubt we go LB at 54 but they might take one in the 5th round.

As far as round 3, maybe a guard at that spot and maybe not. They want defense so at 54 and 97 I believe they want a corner/DT/FS.....two out of 3. Just a hunch

Ozzy rules!!

So prospects for #54 ... lots of good players still available. Not to overstate the obvious, but here are a few I'd like if they fell:

Guard:
Forrest Lamp (OK, it's a pipe dream ... but the dream is still alive dangit!)
Dan Feeney (Concussion and other health issues may drive down his draft status, but he is an ideal ZBS guard)

Defensive End:
Jordan Willis (highly unlikely he'll be there, but if so he's a very good prospect)
Tanoh Kpassagnon (project with truly awesome tools)
Derek Rivers (doubt he's there, but he can be a very good pass rushing DE)

Defensive Tackle:
Chris Wormley (we seem to love this kid, so don't be surprised if he's the pick)

Linebacker:
Zach Cunningham (very good prospect for WILL or MIKE in our scheme)
Raekwon McMillan (solid and talented LB who I think is underrated)

Cornerback:
Sidney Jones (yes, I realize he'll miss his rookie season, but IMHO he's the best CB in this draft and I'm a total fan of this guy)

Safety:
Budda Baker (it would be a surprise if he were available, but not a total shock. Very good single high safety who would allow us to play Reshad Jones and/or McDonald in the box)
Eddie Jackson (the kid from Alabama who was injured ... he has some upside)
Justin Evans (kid from Texas A&M who is a combo safety but has FS traits)

Tight End:
Bucky Hodges (new to the position, raw, but the sky is the limit for this kid)
Adam Shaheen (big guy who can quickly become a good blocker and size mismatch in the passing game)

Chris Wormley is interesting, Digital. Kind of reminds me of Jared Odrick as someone who can play DT or DE. Another high character guy, who could get some rotations with Jordan Phillips.

Man I wish we had 4 2nd round picks. I love Bowser, Lamp and Baker. Very unlikely any of those are available.

Cunningham, Feeney, McDowell and D.Johnson would nice value. T

I think we're in a good spot to get another immediate impact player. Given the players left I think Lamp is the only one I'd move up to get.

Bowser to go with Harris would be sweet.

Chris Wormley is interesting, Digital. Kind of reminds me of Jared Odrick as someone who can play DT or DE. Another high character guy, who could get some rotations with Jordan Phillips.

I like him at 54 but doubt he'll be there. He should go top 10 tonight imo....still think we go corner or FS if we stay at 54

Ozzy rules!!

I see a number of people asking for a safety. Is a 2nd round pick too much for a player you only plan on playing until TJ McDonald can play at mid-season? Or is the thought that you want to pair a rookie and Jones at safety fulltime and we only have McDonald in the second half of the season as depth? He seems to be too good and too young (26) to just be viewed as a depth safety.

Can't count much on McDonald IMO, your talking about a player who cant line up for 8 weeks who has a second stike against him (thus the 8 games) on a 1 year min. Deal.

I want the young player to pair with Jones.

Back
Top Bottom