Rumor: Adawale Ogunleye might be traded sooner than you think | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rumor: Adawale Ogunleye might be traded sooner than you think

ThunderCane said:
Drew is full of crap..."Drew Rosehaus is now persuing a trade to send Adawale to a team "

"Ogunleye couldn't be traded until re-signing with the Dolphins."
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-dolphins21jun21,0,4704833.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

He would have to be involving the Fins...and even so can anyone believe any thing that comes out of that grease balls mouth?

All that means is that he would have to sign the current tender before he is traded. If the FO gives him permission to seek a trade and negotiate an extension, and one is agreed upon, there is no reason to believe that he wouldn't sign the tender to get what he wants.

I do not think Spielman would deal O-GUN to another team in the AFC, if he was going to trade him. I do not think that Spielman is trying set or make an example of O-GUN to other or future contract negotiations. However, I do believe there is a situation between Spielman and Grease Ball. Spielman is the better man and will get the deal done before camp. He knows that if Miami is going to put themselves in a place to be able to win the superbowl this year. They are going to need O-GUN.

ABrownLamp said:
Does anyone know how much cap space the Dolphins have left? I mean between OGun, Chambers, Surtain and McMichael, we've got some serious issues to address...

I figure we have about $6 million under the cap after reducing Wale's required tender.

http://www.thefinforum.com/SiteContent/Columnists/capcorner.asp

Chambers has already been quoted as being happy to wait for free agency next year and McMichael still has two years left on his contract. Surtain has said he would like his contract sweetened too but there is no need yet.

Merman said:
Surtain has said he would like his contract sweetened too but there is no need yet.

But extending Surtain would be good for the short term cap. It would actually create room that could be used to lock up the others. As long as they don't go overboard with an extension.

calmlikeabomb said:
But extending Surtain would be good for the short term cap. It would actually create room that could be used to lock up the others. As long as they don't go overboard with an extension.

The Dolphins have already put quite a bit of money into the future with all the restructed contracts this year. Jason Taylor, D. Thompson, T. Bowens, Mare, Thomas, Fiedler, D. Bowens, and Larry Chester.

As for locking up players, McMichael and Surtain have two years left on their contracts. No need to give them more now. Chambers wants to wait because he knows the big money is found in the free agent frenzy in March after having a great year with Boston in the other side.

Merman said:
The Dolphins have already put quite a bit of money into the future with all the restructed contracts this year. Jason Taylor, D. Thompson, T. Bowens, Mare, Thomas, Fiedler, D. Bowens, and Larry Chester.

As for locking up players, McMichael and Surtain have two years left on their contracts. No need to give them more now. Chambers wants to wait because he knows the big money is found in the free agent frenzy in March after having a great year with Boston in the other side.

Surtain has two years left on a back loaded contract. Extending his contract will lower his cap number for the next two years.

Merman said:

I agree that they have to be careful with the extensions, but I believe an extension for Surtain is inevitable. His base salary next year is almost $6 mil. If he isn't extended this offseason, he will have to be extended next offseason. Why not do it now and work on extending CC?

Plus, I don't believe the restructuring of guys like Thompson, D. Bowens, Mare, Chester will do a significant amount of damage down the road. Their contracts aren't really large enough.

RICKYSABEAST said:
aren't we at the I don't give a **** anymore point yet?

Yeah I pretty much don't give a **** anymore about this situation. I am at the point that I would be willing to trade him to get rid of Drew, at least one client of Drew's. I think eventually, everyone will come to an agreement, but for now, everyone involved looks like a bunch of babies.

if they do something do it now.... in the nfl today every team cannot have everything... ogun is a hot commodidty and the team could get better because of it...we need a franchise qb, we need one or the draft pick where we can get one...

I still like the idea of getting Ramsey if we can involve him in the trade with Washington.

Oboy said:
I just love to hear about how Drew likes to talk such a big game... anyone remember Eric Rhett? Drew was his agent and told him hold out for more $$... what was the result? Well no one has seen him wear a fb uniform since!
No offense i don't particularly care for Drew but Errict Rehett had a career ending injury. It was something to do with a foot or an ankle.

calmlikeabomb said:
I agree that they have to be careful with the extensions, but I believe an extension for Surtain is inevitable. His base salary next year is almost $6 mil. If he isn't extended this offseason, he will have to be extended next offseason. Why not do it now and work on extending CC?

Plus, I don't believe the restructuring of guys like Thompson, D. Bowens, Mare, Chester will do a significant amount of damage down the road. Their contracts aren't really large enough.
And Dol-Fan Dupree.

Another reason in favor of extending Surtain's contract now is that since the CBA has not been extended, next year's signing bonuses can only be prorated for 5 years instead of the current 6 years.

Now I haven't done any analysis on this subject and this is just my opinion off the top of my head.

It would be nice to reduce Surtain's cap charge but the room is not needed yet as I pointed out in my two other posts. The first year of an extension usually saves the most cap space and they will definitely need it next year. Though the proration period for signing bonuses will be reduced next year I think bonuses will come down because of this fact along with the total years of contracts. Also if Pat shows any more problems with his knee this will reduce the size of the extension. Now that is a double edge sword situation because if he plays lights out then the leverage is in Surtain's favor.

The contracts of some of the players may not be as large as the Super Stars but it is still pushing money into the future which is never a good sign. That is using future cap space to pay for players now.

The Jaguars had a 5 part series, Salary Cap 101, where they explain the pitfalls and their point of view seems scarred from getting into cap jail. If they still have a link I'll post it.

Back
Top Bottom