Rumor: Adawale Ogunleye might be traded sooner than you think | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rumor: Adawale Ogunleye might be traded sooner than you think

MOULDSROCKS said:
I'd love the Bills to make a move, I would easily give up a 2005 2nd and 3rd rounder, Denney/Kelsay, and a conditional 2006.... but that's probably not enough.
Not enough? You're going to give up four players, including 3 that were/will be drafted in the 3rd or lower rounds? I guess you don't value the draft much.

Fatherof25 said:
Check this, if david bowens cant screw a lightbulb in correctly then what makes u think he can sack a qb??????? j/k but for real, i dont believe david bowens has the ability to come in and do what o-gun has done. If we dont have o-gun then u can expect more double teams on jt. More double teams on jt means more pressure on our cornerbacks (sure we have 2 probowl corners but they cant shut down everything). WE NEED O-GUN MORE THAN YOU ALL THINK.
:yell:
Not so fast ...JT #s were down last year because he was drawing more attention than "Ogun" was and thats why "Ogun" was able to rise out of the wood pile with probowl #'s after Bowens light bulb fiasco :roflmao: the rest of the league was blindsided so to speak! The $ boys had to have seen this on tape and thats why they arent willing to cough up the fat paper that Drew thinks his boy is worth, That being said I would like to see him back.... His #s last year should draw more attention to him then watch Jr. and Mr Taylor have fun!

gandalf said:
:yell:
Not so fast ...JT #s were down last year because he was drawing more attention than "Ogun" was and thats why "Ogun" was able to rise out of the wood pile with probowl #'s after Bowens light bulb fiasco :roflmao: the rest of the league was blindsided so to speak! The $ boys had to have seen this on tape and thats why they arent willing to cough up the fat paper that Drew thinks his boy is worth, That being said I would like to see him back.... His #s last year should draw more attention to him then watch Jr. and Mr Taylor have fun!

What u are basically saying is that o-gun only had a good year due to the fact that teams were blindsided by him. That in part is true, but what about 2002. O-gun put up very good numbers that year also. O-gun has proved for the past two years that he is one of the most dominant de's in league. Not only did he prove that he was one of the best, he did it for the league minimum!!! It is o-guns time to get paid and there is no doubt about that.

and by the way, david bowens still sux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but otis grigsby is something to watch

nicolosi718 said:
We may be under the cap this year, but we restructured alot of contracts this offseason. Next year we will be up against the fence again as far as making cap room

well thats called same old story, in the last few years we were always over the cap, but our FO has done a great job of keeping this team together, i´m not worried at all , if we are over the cap again

David Bowens was the starter until the infamous lightbulb incident.

I could be mistaken, but the infamous lightbulb incident happened last offseason, after Ogunleye had amassed 9.5 sacks in 2002 opposite Jason Taylor.

Here's my memory of what happened: After 2000 when Trace had like 16.5 sacks opposite JT, and subsequently left to Oakland, we entered the 2001 season with just Mixon, Brommell, and Ogunleye to man the LDE position. A little late, we picked up David Bowens, a no-name do-nothing who came to us via Denver and Green Bay where he got into some trouble, spent all his money, got injured, and generally sucked. This was the first season when Wale could have participated (he spent all of 2000 on IR) and there was much speculation about him including fluff pieces about how he would go to the mall and dodge people as a low-impact means of practicing and testing his knee. Then 2001 season came and went, our passrush BLEW, and Ogun was part of that, as he really did nothing. Then came offseason 2002.

After we got rid of both Kenny Mixon and Lorenzo Brommell (failures from 2001) we we going to go with Daryl Gardener at LDE....then we abruptly got rid of him due to disrespecting the coach. We then had a competition at the LDE spot between David Bowens, Jay Williams (newly acquired in trade from Carolina for a 4th round pick in the wake of releasing Gardener), and Adewale Ogunleye. David Bowens was initially winning that competition through mini-camps because he had (has) almost as much athletic ability as Jason Taylor and in agility drills it was always JT + D-Bo, then the rest of the bunch...prompting a few "if the season started today our starting LDE would be David Bowens" statements, which surprised the media because David Bowens was acquired late in the game in 2001 and was just a special teams guy and a bit of a high energy part time player, but overall not worth the 3rd round pick (I believe it was a 3rd) that he was originally drafted at. So the media came out with some stories etc about David Bowens and how he's got the inside track at starting for Miami at LDE etc etc. Then he got hurt...I forget the exact nature of the injury, he just suffered it sometime in training camp I believe. From that point on, Ogunleye sooort of had the inside track until preseason...when Ogunleye promptly announced his presence to the world by sacking Tampa Bay quarterbacks like 5 times, with another 2 or even 3 sacks called back on him either by penalties in the secondary or the play was called a QB run and he gained like half a yard or a foot or something. From that moment on, Ogun held the cards, and during the season he gave us almost a double digit sack performance in his coming out season. David Bowens was lost by the way-side.

Then Ogunleye was an exclusive rights free agent, and due to his near double digit sack performance, he groused about playing for the EFA tender of about $375k or something like that. I can't remember if he held out, but I do know that directly in response to that we gave David Bowens a pretty lucrative contract for a guy who was just a part-time player and special teams ace. Bowens was ready to step up while Ogunleye bytched about his contract. From there, I can't remember the exact ordering of events but Ogunleye caved, and David Bowens got hurt in the infamous light bulb incident (prompting many a "how many dolphins does it take to change a lightbulb" jokes)...and due to Bowens' injury, and both Jay Williams' and Rob Burnett's ability to play inside, Ogun was assured to be in the game as much as Jason Taylor, and he repaid us with 15.5 sacks.

Funny part is if you look at our passrush since 1998 (when Jason Taylor first became a fulltime player at RDE) we've almost always garnered about the same number of sacks (with the exception of 2001, when all-around our passrush sucked) whether the LDE was a bunch of rotating guys or whether it was Ogunleye playing fulltime.

SO Parrothead, you believe a rotoating roster of low contract LDE's and long term contracts to Chambers and McMicheal would serve the team better than one high priced LDE playing across from two perrenial pro bowlers on the line? (taylor and T.Bowens)

Well put CKparrothead...your last paragraph seems to be something that the Dolphins org has definately taken into consideration and I don't think they well cave in to Ogun's big money request because of this reason. Im starting to agree with Wayne's statement about O gun more and more everyday.:D

SO Parrothead, you believe a rotoating roster of low contract LDE's and long term contracts to Chambers and McMicheal would serve the team better than one high priced LDE playing across from two perrenial pro bowlers on the line? (taylor and T.Bowens)

You said that, not me. There are benefits to having one guy able to do it all like Ogunleye can...not least is having his head in the game so that he can perform at all the right moments. But even so, in my opinion he's not as talented as his two year sack total suggests, perhaps only a little bit more talented than Trace Armstrong who in 99 and 2000 acquired almost as many sacks as Ogun (about 24 or 24.5 sacks).

It boils down to the compensation. I don't want him to get a 12 million signing bonus but I would rather do that than give him up for like a 2nd and 3rd. If the Redskins truly HAVE ponied up a 1st round draft pick for Ogunleye, and now the Washington Post has chimed in saying that they indeed have, then perhaps Jacksonville could be coaxed into doing so as well.

The Redskins could go far this season with Gibbs coaching them, but the Jags could be the worst team in the league or at least they have a good shot at it.

I agree with parrothead.

To add something to that, I don't think the dolphins organization think ogunleye is as good of a player as he is. It will take him to move to another team to dominate at his position, he'll always be on the shadow of jt.

I agree with parrothead.

To add something to that, I don't think the dolphins organization think ogunleye is as good of a player as he is. It will take him to move to another team to dominate at his position, he'll always be on the shadow of jt.

Forget JT for a moment and just think of what this secondary and coverage style has done for Ogunleye.

Fatherof25 said:
and by the way, david bowens still sux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're high dude.... :bong:

DE D. Bowens is a solid pass rusher....

You make O-GUN sound like the second coming of Bruce Smith. He's not. He's a very solid pass rusher, but he also benefits from the double teams that JT constantly gets. Don't over-estimate O-GUN at this point....

Remember when we drafted DE's L. Bromell and K. Mixon??? They combined for about 15 sacks as rookies while playing opposite JT. Neither has been heard from since moving on to another team. That tells me about all I need to know about O-GUN, and the benefits of playing opposite JT....

PHINZ RULE!!! :popup:

Like I said, forget about JT, because yes Ogun has benefitted in the past from the double teams on JT but yes he's also taken on those double teams himself in 2003 and even helped lighten the load on JT allowing him to get back on track after a sub-par first half of the year.

Forget that factor, just think of the secondary. Ogunleye picks up a lot of coverage sacks IMO.

Back
Top Bottom