Rumor - Grier And McDaniel On The Hot Seat | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rumor - Grier And McDaniel On The Hot Seat

why do u think the fault lies with mcdaniel and not certain players on the offense?
Good point. Hill dropping passes or a bad snap by Eichenberg is not the fault of McDaniel... I get it. On the other hand, why did McDaniel overemphasize throwing to Hill even when he was covered, when other receivers may have been open for an easy gain? And, what competent HC and GM would go into the regular season without a single true Center on the active roster? Once Williams went out, who in their right mind would choose the worst o-lineman to be the new starting Center?

I could go on and on about McDaniel, but I won't.

After 25 years in the Miami front office, Grier will start picking good OL prospects in the next 12 weeks.

McDaniel will know how to get plays in on time, take what the defense gives him, show some ability to make adjustments, implement a hurry up offense, and have a disciplined team ready by camp.

Our ST will rise from it's 28 ranking to high teens and our new defense will look like they know what they're doing sometime in November.

All of this will happen :)

Regarding Mcdaniel, I’m not sure why you are so harsh with him. He is intelligent, and my hope is that with an off season to study the teams failures he will see what is obvious to the rest of us and adjust accordingly. He’s done well enough to earn at least that much hope I should think, not sure why some have as hostile and as negative of an opinion as you do of him, but to each their own…
As I stated in a previous post, no competent HC and GM would go into a season without a true Center on the active roster, and then start Eichenberg at Center when Williams got hurt. With Grier being collaborative, that means that McDaniel was okay with the decision to not get a real Center.

To be honest, it all comes down to me believing that McDaniel doesn't have the experience to run an offense or a whole team. He basically went from being an assistant coach (OC in name only) to being a HC and OC calling the plays without ever having done so.

As I stated in a previous post, no competent HC and GM would go into a season without a true Center on the active roster, and then start Eichenberg at Center when Williams got hurt. With Grier being collaborative, that means that McDaniel was okay with the decision to not get a real Center.

To be honest, it all comes down to me believing that McDaniel doesn't have the experience to run an offense or a whole team. He basically went from being an assistant coach (OC in name only) to being a HC and OC calling the plays without ever having done so.
Well, now he’s in year 3. So he’s no longer that in Terms of experience. He’s shown some good as well no? Hopefully he will incorporate those lessons this off season, he’s certainly earned at least that.

The term top ranked has to do with stats, but the only stat that matters is wins. .
By this metric alone, McD has been successful. 9 wins in 2022 and 11 wins in 2023. That seems like continuous progress to me, and certainly not clueless behavior.

You are definitely being too hard on him.

Nothing wrong with wanting more, but looking at what you stated was most important, he is doing a pretty good job for us.

Getting there was half the fun. I'm sorry to hear you missed the boat on the first half. - LOL

When you start to complain the even though we got in, we limped in is misleading.
The fact that we got in after losing the lead in the AFC East, says a lot of good things were going on up until the end of the season. And that was playing with the worst injury hit any team in recent memory has had to deal with.

We have the team we need to be competitive. We are going to make improvements like every other team this year. While our defense improved last year, this year with a more motivated DC, I anticipate we will do even better.

As far as injuries this upcoming year - who really knows?
Delusional...I'm glad you are satisfied with sub-par, mediocre performance. The last 30 years must have rocked for you as a Fin fan!

We all know it was tannenbaum calling the shots until the rebuild. Grier is judged from the start of the rebuild on. He’s put together one of the most talented rosters in the league. Winning playoff games isn’t on him.

It's almost like groundhogs day in here, the same arguments used for Ireland are used for Grier.
Grier is the GM and has been for 9 seasons, he's worked with 3 coaches now.
At what point does he take ownership?

By this metric alone, McD has been successful. 9 wins in 2022 and 11 wins in 2023. That seems like continuous progress to me, and certainly not clueless behavior.

You are definitely being too hard on him.

Nothing wrong with wanting more, but looking at what you stated was most important, he is doing a pretty good job for us.

This is where there has to be push back. I wish forums were more mixed because Dolphins fans need to hear actual criticism rather than just giving each other the good news.

Firstly, 9-8 is basically a .500 record and with a supposedly good QB and a Top-10 roster that ought to be about the absolute minimum imaginable, let alone an acceptable stat used in defense of this franchise.

For the love of God, the previous HC Brian Flores (who got fired mind you) achieved the same record with a less talented roster and with Tua missing 5.5 games with various injuries which is technically more time than he missed with concussions in McDaniel's first season (4.5).

The hallmark of the Flores teams lay in the fact they could only beat teams that had bad offenses and terrible QBs. Generally, Flores' teams suffocated those teams with aggressive defense and the Miami offense got away with doing very little. Recall the games against the various sub-par QBs: Gardner Minshew, Mac Jones, Cam Newton, Brandon Allen, Ian Book, Joe Flacco, Zach Wilson, Daniel Jones and Tyrod Taylor. We can probably include the rookie Justin Herbert in that list, too, since he was entirely ill-equipped to match Flores defense at the time. Heck, they even lost games to Jacoby Brissett and Carson Wentz.

Has the McDaniel era really been different? How many prolific teams have the Dolphins actually taken down? Sadly, it wasn't really the mailed-in effort of Vic Fangio either, surprisingly. The defense has been decent, even against the better QBs like Jalen Hurts and Pat Mahomes. They were good against Josh Allen in the final regular season game.

The problem was Mike McDaniel's offense failing to score. In a lot of cases, they couldn't even get first downs and posses the ball against good teams. And that's with this offense loaded with weaponry. In the "biggest win" this year it was Jason Sanders kicking 5 FGs and the defense forcing a fumble at the goal line that saved the day!

11 wins is fine, but again, it's a marginal improvement that only looks good if your expectation is .500 and you're not being critical.

Since the McDaniel era began, the team has historically struggled against most of the top teams in each division. They are 1-3 against Buffalo, 0-2 against KC, 1-1 against the LAC, 1-1 against Baltimore, 0-1 against Cincinnati, 0-1 against Tennessee, 0-1 against SF, 0-1 against GB, 0-1 against Philly, etc.

I'm sure we make excuses for each of those but at some point it's like, 'c'mon, what's wrong with us?'

Quite frankly, the losses have gotten uglier under McDaniel really. We've had more losses on big stages (which admittedly suggests the national media is at least paying attention). We had 2 big match-ups against Buffalo and lost them both. We had a Sunday Night game against the Chargers last year where we looked totally inept on offense. Tua was 3/17 at one point. We had a Sunday Night game in Philly we lost. We had widely-advertised match-ups against the Ravens and Chiefs. We lost both games. We had a Monday Night game against the Titans. We lost. We had a Play-off game and we lost it looking pretty lousy on offense.

So congrats, the team has found a way to draw attention but not to capitalize on it like the Lions, Packers and Texans did this season with big wins in the regular season and in the Playoffs, too!

The most impressive looking wins under McDaniel came last year but most of those teams were better this year (e.g. Baltimore, Detroit). We lost to Baltimore this year and probably would've lost to Detroit had we played them, IDK. We barely beat Dallas who didn't play all that well.

You have to be critical of the Dolphins or else you're just not being fair. Miami is a decent team but they failed to deliver after attracting a bunch of attention with splashy offseason moves and a media-friendly HC.

What you have is a team that reporters and analysts are obviously more interested in now compared with how things looked 2 years ago but that doesn't mean it's really a good team.

Last edited:
Also worth mentioning that in the salary cap era, every super bowl champion regime (coach and gm) has at least won a playoff game within the first 3 seasons except for one.
The one exception being Coughlin's Giants, who then proceeded to win a super bowl in the 4th year.
This is Grier and McDaniel's third season coming up.

If a GM was on the hot seat I don’t know why an owner would green light giving the QB a mega deal. Now if Tua plays on the 5th year option something could be cooking. I don’t believe for a second McDaniel is on the hot seat.

If a GM was on the hot seat I don’t know why an owner would green light giving the QB a mega deal. Now if Tua plays on the 5th year option something could be cooking. I don’t believe for a second McDaniel is on the hot seat.
The problem with that is if you bring in a new GM, most of the time he will want to bring in his own HC, and that's understandable.

This is where there has to be push back. I wish forums were more mixed because Dolphins fans need to hear actual criticism.

Firstly, 9-8 is basically a .500 record and with a supposedly good QB and a Top-10 roster that ought to be about the absolute minimum imaginable, let alone an acceptable stat used in defense of this franchise.

For the love of God, the previous HC Brian Flores (who got fired mind you) achieved the same record with a less talented roster and with Tua missing 5.5 games with various injuries which is technically more time than he missed with concussions in McDaniel's first season (4.5).

The hallmark of the Flores teams lay in the fact they could only beat teams that had bad offenses and terrible QBs. Generally, Flores' defense suffocated those teams with aggressive defense and the Miami offense got away with doing very little. Recall the games against the various sub-par QBs: Gardner Minshew, Mac Jones, Cam Newton, Brandon Allen, Ian Book, Joe Flacco, Zach Wilson, Daniel Jones and Tyrod Taylor. We can probably include the rookie Justin Herbert in that list, too, since he was entirely ill-equipped to match Flores defense at the time. Heck, they even lost games to Jacoby Brissett and Carson Wentz.

Has the McDaniel era really been different? How many prolific teams have the Dolphins actually taken down? Sadly, it wasn't really the mailed-in effort of Vic Fangio either, surprisingly. The defense has been decent, even against the better QBs like Jalen Hurts and Pat Mahomes. They were good against Josh Allen in the final regular season game.

The problem was Mike McDaniel's offense failing to score. In a lot of cases, they couldn't even get first downs and posses the ball against good teams. And that's with this offense loaded with weaponry. In the "biggest win" this year it was Jason Sanders kicking 5 FGs and the defense forcing a fumble at the goal line that saved the day!

11 wins is fine, but again, it's a marginal improvement that only looks good if your expectation is .500 and you're not being critical.

Since the McDaniel era began, the team has historically struggled against most of the top teams in each division. They are 1-3 against Buffalo, 0-2 against KC, 1-1 against the LAC, 1-1 against Baltimore, 0-1 against Cincinnati, 0-1 against Tennessee, 0-1 against SF, 0-1 against GB, 0-1 against Philly, etc.

I'm sure we make excuses for each of those but at some point it's like, 'c'mon, what's wrong with us?'

Quite frankly, the losses have gotten uglier under McDaniel really. We've had more losses on big stages (which admittedly suggests the national media is at least paying attention). We had 2 big match-ups against Buffalo and lost them both. We had a Sunday Night game against the Chargers last year where we looked totally inept on offense. Tua was 3/17 at one point. We had a Sunday Night game in Philly we lost. We had widely-advertised match-ups against the Ravens and Chiefs. We lost both games. We had a Monday Night game against the Titans. We lost. We had a Play-off game and we lost it looking pretty lousy on offense.

So congrats, the team has found a way to draw attention but not to capitalize on it like the Lions, Packers and Texans did this season with big wins in the regular season and in the Playoffs, too!

The most impressive looking wins under McDaniel came last year but most of those teams were better this year (e.g. Baltimore, Detroit). We lost to Baltimore this year and probably would've lost to Detroit had we played them, IDK. We barely beat Dallas who didn't play all that well.

You have to be critical of the Dolphins or else you're just not being fair. Miami is a decent team but they failed to deliver after attracting a bunch of attention with splashy offseason moves and a media-friendly HC.

What you have is a team that reporters and analysts are obviously more interested in now compared with how things looked 2 years ago but that doesn't mean it's really a good team.

So many words for so little content, most of which varied between outright misstatements and excessive hyperbole.

That may work with millennials and emotional weaklings, and "Leamings", but not reasonable or knowledgeable posters.

I want no whine until its time, and now is not the time. -LOL

The problem with that is if you bring in a new GM, most of the time he will want to bring in his own HC, and that's understandable.

Not if it’s Louis Riddick, who’s been slobbering all over McDaniel and the Dolphins 😂

Back
Top Bottom