Russ Lande(former scout) on the rookies | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Russ Lande(former scout) on the rookies

curt fennel and finheaven im always going back and forth both are awesome sites to keep up with your team....

Didn't the Dolphins sign Wake before the draft? That would be a good reason why he didn't get drafted.

I'm sure he was referring to why Wake wasn't drafted in the 2005 draft....

The notion that the Patriots were as high on Pat White as Miami might be the most consistently reported draft rumor reguarding this entire draft....every publication, draft website, scout, and journalist with any "inside" information has reported this ad nauseam...

...but the Pats didn't pass on White twice in the 2nd round....the passed on him THREE times....

...but they did end up selecting a "poor man's" Pat White in the 7th round with the selection of Kent St. quarterback, Julian Edelman....apparently specifically for some Wildcat type packages....

I'm sure he was referring to why Wake wasn't drafted in the 2005 draft....

The notion that the Patriots were as high on Pat White as Miami might be the most consistently reported draft rumor reguarding this entire draft....every publication, draft website, scout, and journalist with any "inside" information has reported this ad nauseam...

...but the Pats didn't pass on White twice in the 2nd round....the passed on him THREE times....

...but they did end up selecting a "poor man's" Pat White in the 7th round with the selection of Kent St. quarterback, Julian Edelman....apparently specifically for some Wildcat type packages....

Well as for Edelman many feel he may be able to be a receiver in the NFL and will probably be a practice squad player. In that he will probably be used on the scout team so they can prepare for our wildcat. I dont see NE using the wildcat much, yea lets take Tom Brady off the field to play a rookie qb in the wildcat.

I do think using three second round picks on other players more than proves that NE was not enamoured with Pat White and those rumors were totally wrong.

Well as for Edelman many feel he may be able to be a receiver in the NFL and will probably be a practice squad player. In that he will probably be used on the scout team so they can prepare for our wildcat. I dont see NE using the wildcat much, yea lets take Tom Brady off the field to play a rookie qb in the wildcat.

I do think using three second round picks on other players more than proves that NE was not enamoured with Pat White and those rumors were totally wrong.

Exactly. And this is one of the issues I have about this team. We seem to have staked an awful, awful lot on the Wildcat. The reason we are using it is because we were and are unable to impose our will on other teams. Notice the Superbowl teams throughout history? One common thread between them is they were able to impose their will on other teams. The WCO is sometimes compared to the Wildcat here. It's just laughable. The WCO is a philsosiphy.

The Pats are able to impose their will on other teams for the most part. Make no mistake...If Brady was healthy all last year, the Pats finish atop the AFC East. I know it's unpopular to think it, but, BB is a very good coach and, Brady is a hell of a QB. I think, sadly, that the Pats sort of fleeced our FO in the draft.

Exactly. And this is one of the issues I have about this team. We seem to have staked an awful, awful lot on the Wildcat. The reason we are using it is because we were and are unable to impose our will on other teams. Notice the Superbowl teams throughout history? One common thread between them is they were able to impose their will on other teams. The WCO is sometimes compared to the Wildcat here. It's just laughable. The WCO is a philsosiphy.

The Pats are able to impose their will on other teams for the most part. Make no mistake...If Brady was healthy all last year, the Pats finish atop the AFC East. I know it's unpopular to think it, but, BB is a very good coach and, Brady is a hell of a QB. I think, sadly, that the Pats sort of fleeced our FO in the draft.

We fleeced ourselves. Yea our biggest need a 6 foot qb to run the wildcat. Cannot think of a pick I have disliked this much since Jamar Fletcher.

We fleeced ourselves. Yea our biggest need a 6 foot qb to run the wildcat. Cannot think of a pick I have disliked this much since Jamar Fletcher.

You know, that was the first name that flashed through my head. I'm not the best talent evaluator. I suck at all the draft stuff, but, sometimes you just go..."What?!" Fletcher got smoked by Freddie Mitchell and we know where he wound up. That was such a horrid pick. Smoot would've been such a better value there.

I don't have an issue with the White pick, per sey. It's just we reached, big time, IMO.

You know, that was the first name that flashed through my head. I'm not the best talent evaluator. I suck at all the draft stuff, but, sometimes you just go..."What?!" Fletcher got smoked by Freddie Mitchell and we know where he wound up. That was such a horrid pick. Smoot would've been such a better value there.

I don't have an issue with the White pick, per sey. It's just we reached, big time, IMO.

I personally have a huge issue with the pick(hope Im wrong)
when teams start drafting high for part time players over starters in the long run that hurts.

As for why Lande is a "former" scout...I'm just taking a guess here but I happen to know that a real scout's schedule is grueling, spending a lot of time on the road, working 12 to 16 hour days, etc. As a well paid writer for a national publication, he probably gets to make the same money while working half as hard.

As for why Lande is a "former" scout...I'm just taking a guess here but I happen to know that a real scout's schedule is grueling, spending a lot of time on the road, working 12 to 16 hour days, etc. As a well paid writer for a national publication, he probably gets to make the same money while working half as hard.

Well put. Its like the people that say that if Kiper is so good how come he is not an NFL scout. why would he take such a pay cut?

I personally have a huge issue with the pick(hope Im wrong)
when teams start drafting high for part time players over starters in the long run that hurts.

It was a luxury selection, but it was also a luxury pick. Remember that. Why did the Dolphins have the #44 pick in the NFL Draft in the first place? Because they loaned Jason Taylor out to the Washington Redskins just long enough for him to be a massive disappointment and then come back to Miami with his tail tucked between his legs willing to work hard for very little money.

When they sent him away, Jason Taylor was ticked off at all the coaching changes in Miami, feeling urgency in building his post-football career, in "dancing" shape rather than football shape, wanting to be on some other team and wanting a typical veteran's shortcut/privilege through the off season training. They got him back one year later at a fraction of the price, willing to work hard, turning down the team that actually gave him the best chance to win a championship, and so motivated that when they tell him to jump he asks "How high?".

Just for that service alone, I would have paid the Redskins. Instead, they paid us. That #44 pick was a luxury pick and so they used it on a luxury player that they are taking a stab could make the team better by presenting a threat to multiple facets of the game. It's the equivalent of a pass play where the quarterback can see that the defense jumped off sides at the snap, so he goes ahead and takes a risk free shot up the field.

You can't evaluate one side without the other, IMO. Let's say, for instance, that somehow they never got a 2nd rounder for Jason Taylor...and they were picking #44 instead of #56 for some other reason...Pat White is not a Dolphin. This is also why NE was looking at Pat White, because through their trading efforts, they acquired a number of luxury picks available to be used.

Well put. Its like the people that say that if Kiper is so good how come he is not an NFL scout. why would he take such a pay cut?

Exactly. You see the same thing with former players that are known as smart, cerebral guys, and they go into broadcasting. Everyone wonders, why they don't go ahead and become a coach? Because as a coach, you get a fraction of the money to work three times as hard.

It takes a special kind of competitiveness and love for the game to go ahead and become a coach when you know that you could be a broadcaster, or if you've made a ton of money as a player already. Zach might do it, but he's about the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

It was a luxury selection, but it was also a luxury pick. Remember that. Why did the Dolphins have the #44 pick in the NFL Draft in the first place? Because they loaned Jason Taylor out to the Washington Redskins just long enough for him to be a massive disappointment and then come back to Miami with his tail tucked between his legs willing to work hard for very little money.

When they sent him away, Jason Taylor was ticked off at all the coaching changes in Miami, feeling urgency in building his post-football career, in "dancing" shape rather than football shape, wanting to be on some other team and wanting a typical veteran's shortcut/privilege through the off season training. They got him back one year later at a fraction of the price, willing to work hard, turning down the team that actually gave him the best chance to win a championship, and so motivated that when they tell him to jump he asks "How high?".

Just for that service alone, I would have paid the Redskins. Instead, they paid us. That #44 pick was a luxury pick and so they used it on a luxury player that they are taking a stab could make the team better by presenting a threat to multiple facets of the game. It's the equivalent of a pass play where the quarterback can see that the defense jumped off sides at the snap, so he goes ahead and takes a risk free shot up the field.

You can't evaluate one side without the other, IMO. Let's say, for instance, that somehow they never got a 2nd rounder for Jason Taylor...and they were picking #44 instead of #56 for some other reason...Pat White is not a Dolphin. This is also why NE was looking at Pat White, because through their trading efforts, they acquired a number of luxury picks available to be used.

I dont see it the same way. I dont see a pick as any less just because we got it in a lopsided trade. I see it as we passed on players like Simtim that will be starters in this league for a short run first qb. I guess Marcus Vick was busy. Funny how he would actually have value in the league if he was in this draft.

I also dont think NE had any true interest in White since it was likely we would pick him and they had three 2nd rounders they used before him. If anything it was a smokescreen. I dont see NE investing this much in the wildcat.

CK, I respect your take on the issue, and, I agree that this was very possibly the FOs take on the pick. My point is that just because you have something of value, does not mean that it is without relative value. We got a 2nd rounder free of charge, essentially. This does not mean this pick is somehow inherantly less valuable. It's a draft pick, just like every other draft pick. Chocolate sprinkles on a dog turd does not make the turd a chocolate cake. It's just a dog turd with sprinkles on it.

I can't think that there was not a better guy out there to spend that pick on.

Did you just compare the dolphins drafting the second coming of christ in the 2nd round to chocolate sprinkles on a dog turd?

Back
Top Bottom