Russel Wilson proves that we should draft another QB in this draft | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Russel Wilson proves that we should draft another QB in this draft

Let me give you a scenerio. Miami is 8-5 and those final 3 games is make or break. T Hill goes down and is expected to be out for 2 weeks. who do you want to come in the game? that 7th round or undreafted QB. Or a decent guy that has some capability that you spent a 4th round on? Neither is that good of a deal to be honest and right now as much as we want to believe we have the right guy, our QB situation is not a good one!.

Regardless of where they were drafted, if the QBs are on the roster, you have to trust Philbin's coaching and QB assessment abilities that they will be able to perform when called upon. Once you get outside the 1st round, QB performance and results vary as much as any other position. Henne, Beck, White, Mitchell, etc... were all drafted between the 2nd and 4th rounds, yes? Who wants to spend another pick this high on guys of suspect ability in the rounds that you typically find quality WRs, OLinemen, and defensive guys in. For us, more importantly, we must have TD scorers at WR and score-stoppers at other positions, like DE and CB this draft with a higher priority in these rounds...

Considering how we have squandered 2nd round picks in the past, if there was someone that fell to us that we believe could produce a healthy competition and help us solidify our QB spot, I'd pull the trigger. I wouldn't be trying to hurt Tannehill's feelings, but i'd be doing what's best for the team. This years draft might not have someone as high as the 2nd round but the 4th is possible. Lets say Geno Smith/Matt Barkely, etc nose dives to the 4th round of the draft I wouldn't be upset if the Dolphins drafted them. Would you? This year we can fill some holes in the first 3 rounds considering we have 5 picks. Not to draw comparisons, but Mark Sanchez played average in his rookie season and never had any serious competition since he's been a Jet now look where they are. Qb-less. I rather plan for the worst (Drafting a replacement) or the best ( Drafting a player that can be flipped for a higher pick if he's good or having a competent back up).

In 2014 I would agree with you if Tannehill hasn't progressed. This draft, I'd be very upset if we passed up a top DE, CB, or WR to take another QB in those rounds. That is akin to buying a $300 pair of boots, then passing up a winter coat you desperately need to buy another pair of shoes you may or may not wear because they were on sale... In this scenario, you're not accounting for the fact that we have no td scoring playmakers at WR. Fasano is our only quality TE, and he lacks speed. Wake is an injury away from leaving us with no quality DEs, Dansby and Burnett are always injured, and SSmith lacks playmaking ability at CB. Addressing those positions will be best for the team this upcoming season.

Do we need more young developmental QBs, yes. Definitely. Do we need to spend a 2nd - 4th round pick on one THIS draft as a luxury pick? Not IMO... Let's see what happens with Devlin and MMoore, or whoever they decide to bring in to replace MMoore next preseason and season...

Regardless of where they were drafted, if the QBs are on the roster, you have to trust Philbin's coaching and QB assessment abilities that they will be able to perform when called upon. Once you get outside the 1st round, QB performance and results vary as much as any other position. Henne, Beck, White, Mitchell, etc... were all drafted between the 2nd and 4th rounds, yes? Who wants to spend another pick this high on guys of suspect ability in the rounds that you typically find quality WRs, OLinemen, and defensive guys in. For us, more importantly, we must have TD scorers at WR and score-stoppers at other positions, like DE and CB this draft with a higher priority in these rounds...

I could care less if the QB was drafted in round 30 the problem is.... Miami can afford for a capable QB to pass them by if there is one available in the earlier rounds like 4 or 5. You plan to draft a QB in the 6-7 round when you have a capable back up. When you actually NEED a capable back up you take one when you get the chance to take one regardless of the round...... Round 4-5 is where you find these types of players. I agree there are more areas of need but please dont under estimate the value of a back up QB!!!

See Kirk Cousins.

I could care less if the QB was drafted in round 30 the problem is.... Miami can afford for a capable QB to pass them by if there is one available in the earlier rounds like 4 or 5. You plan to draft a QB in the 6-7 round when you have a capable back up. When you actually NEED a capable back up you take one when you get the chance to take one regardless of the round...... Round 4-5 is where you find these types of players. I agree there are more areas of need but please dont under estimate the value of a back up QB!!!

See Kirk Cousins.

See the Washington Redskins as a more complete team lacking only QBs. The skins have been a complete team for several seasons. They had John Beck and Rex Grossman. Before that it was Jason Campbell and Grossman. They were set at most all other positions and could afford to take 2 rookies in the same draft. They also have a top ranked defense and running game. You have to factor this into their drafting as well as what we did, which was a sound draft plan.

No one is under-estimating the value of a quality backup. MMoore has been fantastic his two seasons here. I trust Philbin to prioritize this appropriately right now.

Wilson

Read my early post on Wilson; I stared that we should draft him in the 3rd and use the first pick ion bpa, should have kept BM. We would have made the playoffs. BM would not be able to hurt Wilsons growth like he may have Tanny. Wilson is a very strong leader that would have had BM running through a wall for him. He is just that type of guy.

Wilson is NOT a running QB. He is a QB who can run. He is not running the pistol like the others.

I'm not sold on T-hill yet as well but we already have been developing Pat Devin for some years now lets see where that goes first cause we have so many issues at other positions we need to spend all our pics on those needs and R. Wilson was a superstar qb in college with a size issue and there aren't any R. Wilson's out there this year with the same credentials
pat devin is where he belong ..... 3rd string

Wilson is NOT a running QB. He is a QB who can run. He is not running the pistol like the others.

Dont say things like that. Becasue he can run he is a running back playing QB.....:idk:
Thats what a lot of people on here thinks

Wilson is the truth.

now back to our regular planed program.....LOL

Read my early post on Wilson; I stared that we should draft him in the 3rd and use the first pick ion bpa, should have kept BM. We would have made the playoffs. BM would not be able to hurt Wilsons growth like he may have Tanny. Wilson is a very strong leader that would have had BM running through a wall for him. He is just that type of guy.

If Wilson had been 2" taller, he would have been the taken before Tannehill and probably Griffin... He had the most experience and had thrown the most game attempts as he played for 2 Universities and different schemes. He and Luck were the 2 QBs most prepared for the draft. That said, lets see how Luck, Griffin, Tannehill, Wilson, etc... all fare in the next two seasons afters DCs have had a chance to diagnose their games.

Look back at the front page and look at how many "no-thanks" I received from introducing a topic that was discussion worthy. We have been so starved as a fanbase for a qb that most fans will take anything thrown to us that incites hope. I only wanted to see how many fans agreed with the way I was feeling about having a healthy competition for the most important position on the offensive side of the ball.

Agree with you Dude. If we had landed Flynn, he would have been our Starter, and we would have not drafted Tannehill. I like Tannehill over Flynn, but we would have never had the Stones to do what PC did in Seattle, going with Wilson, over Flynn. We should draft another QB, to compete with Tannehill in Pre Season, and what if Thill gets hurt next year, just sayin!
I think Devlin is going to look real Good this Pre Season, Let's see...

In 2014 I would agree with you if Tannehill hasn't progressed. This draft, I'd be very upset if we passed up a top DE, CB, or WR to take another QB in those rounds. That is akin to buying a $300 pair of boots, then passing up a winter coat you desperately need to buy another pair of shoes you may or may not wear because they were on sale... In this scenario, you're not accounting for the fact that we have no td scoring playmakers at WR. Fasano is our only quality TE, and he lacks speed. Wake is an injury away from leaving us with no quality DEs, Dansby and Burnett are always injured, and SSmith lacks playmaking ability at CB. Addressing those positions will be best for the team this upcoming season.

Do we need more young developmental QBs, yes. Definitely. Do we need to spend a 2nd - 4th round pick on one THIS draft as a luxury pick? Not IMO... Let's see what happens with Devlin and MMoore, or whoever they decide to bring in to replace MMoore next preseason and season...

We have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. Now factor in free agency. If we chose a QB in the 4th it wouldn't be as bad as you assume. This plan should only be exercised if someone was there worth the pick. Why put all your eggs in the unproven Tannehill basket? I want him to succeed as much as any other fan but I rather the team do well first. I'm a dolphin fan first.

We have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. Now factor in free agency. If we chose a QB in the 4th it wouldn't be as bad as you assume. This plan should only be exercised if someone was there worth the pick. Why put all your eggs in the unproven Tannehill basket? I want him to succeed as much as any other fan but I rather the team do well first. I'm a dolphin fan first.

STOP - your making to much sense.........
I go on the record again and say MIAMI MUST DRAFT A QB SOMETIME AROUND ROUND 4 - 5.
If you took one in teh 4th with FA and the 1st 3 rounds........... thats at least 8 additions to the team before you add that NEED back up QB!!!

I can appreciate your argument and from the 4th round on down wouldn't present an issue as long as he is indeed the BPA. Even with the additional 2nd and 3rd picks, I'd still rather wait until the 5th or later for this 3rd level QB depth (Devlin being the 2nd level if MMoore leaves) and spend those resources ensuring we are not in the same predicament at WR, TE, DE, CB, LB, OG, OT, etc... next season as we have been the past 2 seasons. But that is just me perhaps. Also, we still don't know what we have in Devlin and yet you seem convinced that we should take another rookie QB and that this new rookie QB will automatically either be the #2 or be able to push Tannehill.

STOP - your making to much sense.........
I go on the record again and say MIAMI MUST DRAFT A QB SOMETIME AROUND ROUND 4 - 5.
If you took one in teh 4th with FA and the 1st 3 rounds........... thats at least 8 additions to the team before you add that NEED back up QB!!!

Must draft another QB in rounds 4 or 5? To go along with the other 3 you're mentioning? That would be Tannehill, Devlin, an unnamed FA (Who do you have in mind?), and a draftee to give us 4 QBs. I am certainly open to taking another QB on day 2 of the draft in the latter rounds, but can't see us bringing in 4 QBs on the roster.

Must draft another QB in rounds 4 or 5? To go along with the other 3 you're mentioning? That would be Tannehill, Devlin, an unnamed FA (Who do you have in mind?), and a draftee to give us 4 QBs. I am certainly open to taking another QB on day 2 of the draft in the latter rounds, but can't see us bringing in 4 QBs on the roster.

If JI can pulla rabbit out his hat and drug Moore into siging a contract then no need to draft another QB. Otherwise, Moore is GONE!!!!

Back
Top Bottom