Russsell is better than Quinn | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Russsell is better than Quinn

Status
Not open for further replies.
...LSU crowded the line of scrimmage, they shut down Darius Walker and forced Quinn to beat them...

And he didn't. That's why his stock has fallen. He will be in those type of situations in the NFL and he has to be able to make competitive plays.

Quinn may become a great QB. It may take 4 years not dissimilar to Eli.

Jamarcus Russell translates better to the NFL. His size, his arm, his accuracy, and calm in the pocket give him a time advantage to release and complete.

It is funny how time changes things. A year ago, Quinn was the best QB on the planet.

Well I guess we better use the same excuse as our reasoning for why quinn beats up on the crap teams he beats up on.
So now we have to question how the games against army, navy, airforce, stanford and north carolina were won.

You must have been asleep when he beat 20th ranked Pitt, 5th ranked Michigan, 24th ranked Michigan State, 9th ranked Tennessee, 3rd ranked Michigan, 23rd ranked Pitt, 22nd ranked Purdue, lost on a miracle 4th and 9 to number 1 ranked USC, Tennessee again, 19th ranked Penn State, 17th ranked MSU and a UCLA team that stopped #2 ranked USC from going to the BCS Title Game.

Change the record. It's EXCEPTIONALLY boring.

And he didn't. That's why his stock has fallen. He will be in those type of situations in the NFL and he has to be able to make competitive plays.

Quinn may become a great QB. It may take 4 years not dissimilar to Eli.

Jamarcus Russell translates better to the NFL. His size, his arm, his accuracy, and calm in the pocket give him a time advantage to release and complete.

It is funny how time changes things. A year ago, Quinn was the best QB on the planet.

Except in the NFL he won't have two possession wideouts, no TE to speak of and a 2nd day tailback to play with. I defy ANY QB to make competetive plays with little or no set up time, when receivers haven't even made their cuts.

Except in the NFL he won't have two possession wideouts, no TE to speak of and a 2nd day tailback to play with. I defy ANY QB to make competetive plays with little or no set up time, when receivers haven't even made their cuts.

I thought you were talking about the Dolphins there for a second.

C'mon, now. The fighting Irish were a top 10 ranked team. It wasn't because of their Defense.

They had a superbowl play-caller, a 5 yard per carry RB, a really big receiver (Samardzija--potential first rounder before baseball), and ran a pass happy QB friendly system.

Those teams that expect the QB to carry the team will be temped to pass on Quinn.

C'mon, now. The fighting Irish were a top 10 ranked team. It wasn't because of their Defense.

They had a superbowl play-caller, a 5 yard per carry RB, a really big receiver (Samardzija--potential first rounder before baseball), and ran a pass happy QB friendly system.

Those teams that expect the QB to carry the team will be temped to pass on Quinn.

They were overrated as a top 10 team, and it showed. Or at least it showed how big a drop off it was from the elites to even the upper echelon teams.

What value is that statement supposed to have to the Brady Quinn talk? They were a top ten team because of Quinn.

Their receivers were slow as molasses, they had no tight end, and Darius Walker is an unexciting day 2 prospect...probably a special teamer. Their OL was porous and their defense allowed 40+ points a game in those games that Brady Quinn gets so openly criticized for.

None of those facts can be denied. None.

What value is that statement supposed to have to the Brady Quinn talk? They were a top ten team because of Quinn.

Their receivers were slow as molasses, they had no tight end, and Darius Walker is an unexciting day 2 prospect...probably a special teamer. Their OL was porous and their defense allowed 40+ points a game in those games that Brady Quinn gets so openly criticized for.

None of those facts can be denied. None.

Agreed 100%. Hit it right on the head.

Boomer said:
You must have been asleep when he beat 20th ranked Pitt, 5th ranked Michigan, 24th ranked Michigan State, 9th ranked Tennessee, 3rd ranked Michigan, 23rd ranked Pitt, 22nd ranked Purdue, lost on a miracle 4th and 9 to number 1 ranked USC, Tennessee again, 19th ranked Penn State, 17th ranked MSU and a UCLA team that stopped #2 ranked USC from going to the BCS Title Game.

Not to mention that UCLA D, especially the superb pass rush, was in Quinn's face all game just like it was with Booty. We crowded the line all day and he was still patient enough to (unfortunately) beat us.

Quinn is certainly not above criticism...

http://www.gbnreport.com/scoutsnotebook.htm

On the day of the big game, Russell came out...surprising enough...the better QB.

What about the day of the big game, when jamarcus faced a SEC defense comparable to the one brady faced in LSU(Auburn, or Florida)

No knock on Jamarcus but the ND defense doesn't compare to an elite SEC defense.

I'll throw in my opinion on this matter as well. If ND had an average-above average quarterback this past season, they would have lost to Michigan State & UCLA, and finished at 8-4 instead of 10-2. I'm pretty sure that last statement is unchallengable, but go ahead and try if you'd like. 8-4 makes for a fringe top 25 team, much less a top 10 team. So if you ask me, ND was a team with fringe top 25 talent that happened to have a great qb leading the way. To illustrate my point, let me show you the recruiting rankings for players that were on that team.

2003 - #12
2004 - #32
2005 - #40
2006 - #8

The 06 class was a very good one, but they were still true frosh and only one of them had a major impact. It was mainly the other 3 classes, which illustrates my point that this was a team with fringe top 25 talent. Now assuredly recruiting rankings are not scientific or perfect, but as a whole they do a pretty respectable job of illustrating a team's overall talent. Usually the recruiting rankings have a high correlation to the actual rankings during the following years.

This last ND team was a team with a handful of playmakers and a bunch of average players. Samardzija and Quinn are top notch players, and Carlson (TE), McKnight (WR), and Walker were "2nd tier" playmakers, meaning guys that did really well against the weaker teams, but often were invisible in the big games. I don't think they ever won the line of scrimmage battle against teams with equal or better talent, and as a result, the team relied on Quinn to bail them out and make plays.

Most people thought I was being a crazy homer when I said that Quinn deserved the Heisman as much as Troy Smith did, but if you watched the national championship game, Troy Smith went up against what Quinn had all year, and he completely folded (Obviously Florida's defense is very, very good, but my point is, ND's o-line made a lot of defenses look like Florida). Even in the Michigan game, Quinn hung in there and threw for 3 tds, and that was unanimously agreed upon to be his worst "big game". Switch Troy with Brady, and ND still would have gone 10-3 at best, if not a couple games worse.

But I'm just a crazy homer, what do I know :wink:

Who did Dan Marino beat?

He never beat anyone, and never won the big game on either level. We need a complete team. We had a franchise qb, and no rings to show for it. That's why I wouldn't waste a high pick on Brady. FYI just because you draft a guy in the top 10 it doesn't make a franchise qb.

You must have been asleep by season's end if those are the rankings you are going to use for some of those teams.

- The #3 Michigan team he beat ended the season 7-5, unranked.
- The second Tennessee team he beat ended the season with a losing record.
- He beat Michigan St. twice. One of those years they were 5-7, and the other they were 4-8.
- He beat Pitt twice. One of those years they finished 8-5 unranked and the other year they finished 5-6.
- The 2005 #22 Purdue team he beat finished the season with a losing record, 5-6.

His two best wins were over a 9-3 Michigan team and a 10-3 Tennessee team, both two years ago. I'll give him (a little) credit for those, but to list off all those teams as if they were all legitimate is misleading.

You must have been asleep by season's end if those are the rankings you are going to use for some of those teams.

- The #3 Michigan team he beat ended the season 7-5, unranked.
- The second Tennessee team he beat ended the season with a losing record.
- He beat Michigan St. twice. One of those years they were 5-7, and the other they were 4-8.
- He beat Pitt twice. One of those years they finished 8-5 unranked and the other year they finished 5-6.
- The 2005 #22 Purdue team he beat finished the season with a losing record, 5-6.

His two best wins were over a 9-3 Michigan team and a 10-3 Tennessee team, both two years ago. I'll give him (a little) credit for those, but to list off all those teams as if they were all legitimate is misleading.

FLMAO. So you want to skew your ridiculous argument further by claiming that the teams he beat shouldn't have been ranked where they were?

Utter garbage. Doesn't matter how teams finished. He did what he did against the the teams that were ranked where they were at the time. Does Miami's 21-0 beating of the Pats count less because they didn't win the Superbowl?

FLMAO. So you want to skew your ridiculous argument further by claiming that the teams he beat shouldn't have been ranked where they were?

Utter garbage. Doesn't matter how teams finished. He did what he did against the the teams that were ranked where they were at the time. Does Miami's 21-0 beating of the Pats count less because they didn't win the Superbowl?

Also kind of ridiculous and hypocritical in light of the "But Notre Dame was ranked in the top 5!" argument.

Also kind of ridiculous and hypocritical in light of the "But Notre Dame was ranked in the top 5!" argument.

I think he forgot to point out that the Penn State team that got drubbed was in the top 20 when they played ND, but went on to lose 3 games over the course of the season, and only finish in the top 25 in one poll.

What is this ridiculous argument you are talking about anyway? This was my first post on this subject.

So it's ridiculous to look at the team's record at the end of the season? Yeah...what was I thinking? Do you understand how ridiculous YOU sound when you say it doesn't matter how teams finish? I would think a team's final record would be the best way to evaluate how well they did over the season. When Notre Dame beats a Michigan team that was ranked #5 in pre-season polls during the 3rd week of the season and finished 7-5, unranked, sorry, I'm not giving him credit for beating a top-5 team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom