Ryan Tannehill is the NFLs most underrated QB. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ryan Tannehill is the NFLs most underrated QB.

Don't insult me.

I underlined "needs to be schemed open to create said separation." I made the assumption that statement was about his overall game. He's obviously not a deep threat so I'm wrong if it's just a reference to his deep ball abilities.

That said, Landry is excellent in the short and intermediate areas of the field. You're not catching jack **** in the NFL if you can't create separation. Landry's record setting amount of receptions in his first three years is a testament to his route running and separation skills.

My fault u did highlight that I must of missed it but not catching jack **** in NFL without separation is false. Though Landry has a decent stem, good head fakes and has decent cuts in and out of breaks there are aspects just in route running that he's just not good at such as releases. The difference in release technique compared to DVP is staggering
Landry has been winning the same way his whole career Dominating the Catch Point and YAC. There are those those that get easy seperation such as Julian Edelman thats why he wins and those that have mastered the art of dominating the Catch Point and catching in traffic.

My fault u did highlight that I must of missed it but not catching jack **** in NFL without separation is false. Though Landry has a decent stem, good head fakes and has decent cuts in and out of breaks there are aspects just in route running that he's just not good at such as releases. The difference in release technique compared to DVP is staggering
Landry has been winning the same way his whole career Dominating the Catch Point and YAC. There are those those that get easy seperation such as Julian Edelman thats why he wins and those that have mastered the art of dominating the Catch Point and catching in traffic.

LMAO. All you did here was rip off info straight from his draft profile from 3 years ago.

I stand firmly by what I said about having to create separation in order to consistently catch the ball in the NFL. You don't snag 288 balls in just 3 years by simply dominating the catch point and being "decent" in other aspects of route running. ****ing asinine evaluation.

Last edited:
I think the main bias in this article is "When it comes to finding flaws, there’s really nothing I can find"

I can give you some flaws, but I think they're masked a good bit by his positive traits. Tannehill having no flaws would mean he doesn't have bad games, which isn't true.

I like the overall article but I think it was decently biased.

LMAO. All you did here was rip off info straight from his draft profile from 3 years ago.

I stand firmly by what I said about having to create separation in order to consistently catch the ball in the NFL. You don't snag 288 balls in just 3 years by simply dominating the catch point and being "decent" in other aspects of route running. ****ing asinine evaluation.

Positional technique may be above your pay grade, um please post the draft profile that discusses Landry's release tech ? I'll wait, U might want to stick to speaking on X and Os
because since I've been on this board I've never heard you go into detail about positional technique on any position, all your evaluations are X and O based. I don't know how long you've been studying football but 2 Minutes into Landrys tape and you can see why he wins, I've played the position and studied it.

Positional technique may be above your pay grade, um please post the draft profile that discusses Landry's release tech ? I'll wait, U might want to stick to speaking on X and Os
because since I've been on this board I've never heard you go into detail about positional technique on any position, all your evaluations are X and O based. I don't know how long you've been studying football but 2 Minutes into Landrys tape and you can see why he wins, I've played the position and studied it.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jarvis-landry?id=2543488

uses stems and nods and works back to throws. Confident hands-catcher -- snatches throws off his frame.
. . .
Average line release, acceleration and suddenness. Could struggle to separate vs. quick-twitch cornerbacks.

A far as playing and studying the position, ditto. Though I'm far more enthralled with defense.

Last edited:
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jarvis-landry?id=2543488

A far as playing and studying the position, ditto. Though I'm far more enthralled with defense.

Well Its not surprising those issues still remain today ( most ppl think because he's a slot receiver he's excellent at seperating early in his routes but a good portion of his routes are near the line of scrimmage and him converting getting YAC) Landry's game is very unique its nothing like other top slots like Baldwin,Edelman and Fitzgerald.

Well Its not surprising those issues still remain today ( most ppl think because he's a slot receiver he's excellent at seperating early in his routes but a good portion of his routes are near the line of scrimmage and him converting getting YAC) Landry's game is very unique its nothing like other top slots like Baldwin,Edelman and Fitzgerald.

Spent some time today watching Landry and you're absolutely wrong about his ability to separate. First step is understanding and recognizing a DB's leverage. As a WR you're looking if you have access to your route or if it is closed pertaining to the leverage shown and the 3rd instance is if the DB is head up on you. That's simple. Two other critical factors in creating separation are deceptive moves and/or angle adjustments if you don't have access. Landry excels at both with exceptional route running skills and the moves he possesses. He also properly uses his feet and hands on his releases as well.

Here's what I was looking for in his releases.

Footwork

1 Step Jab Coaching Points (Sells outside to Win inside)

• Open hips (horizontal step, not vertical)
  • Keep hips, shoulders in line
  • Chest over knee
  • Hands/Feet work together
  • Step down to win/explode out
1 Step Pick Up (Sells inside to win outside)

• Short horizontal hard step
  • Open hips
  • Chest over knee
2 Step Win Inside

• Combine pick up/jab steps
  • Horizontal to win vertical
  • Open hips
  • Hips/ Shoulders in line
  • Keep chest down over knee
  • Sprinter Arms move with feet
2 Step Win Outside

• Combine jab/pick up steps
  • Open hips
3 Step release (good vs. aggressive DB and in goal line)

• Requires a quick combo of jab/pick up steps (WR must be fast)
  • Do not gain ground
  • Open Hips/shoulders together
  • Chest down over knee
  • Hands move with feet

And in his handwork:

Hand Techniques

Swat

• Allows us to turn shoulders and clear
  • Eyes on target (Defenders release side elbow)
  • Keep hands and elbows tight for quick hands
  • Release side arm swats elbow
  • Remind athlete to keep chest down
Rip

• Dip and rip to reduce contact surface
  • Take a brush by step to clear defender
Jab and Rip

• Feet open defender, hands finish him
  • Eyes on target (DB elbow)
  • Hands and feet work together (swat+ rip= sprint action)
  • Dip shoulder and rip through to reduce contact surface
Jab and Stack

• Clear and replace defender
Swat to Rip and Stack

• Allows us to gain vertical leverage
  • Eyes on target elbow
  • Release side hands swats across
Jab, Rip and Stack

• Shoulders down to accelerate out of stack
Release to Quick Game Break Point Position

• Release to stack
  • Shoulders down through contact
  • Push Shoulders Over Knee / Hips down to establish strong/quick position
Release to Midlevel Break Point Position

• Release to stack
  • Activate hands/feet at top to decelerate (We say “hammer” or “drum” hands/feet)
Release to Quick Game

• Release to stack
  • Push Shoulders/ Hips down to win out of break
  • Accelerate out- feet with a “hot coals mentality
Release to Midlevel Route

• Release to stack
  • Decelerate with active arms and feet (hammer/drum cue)
  • Accelerate by pushing down and ripping open
Release to Deep Routes

• Release to stack
  • Lean on defender if there is contact
  • Finish route by selling opposite at break (We say put some hot sauce on it, or get saucy)
Release to Fade

• Release must threaten opposite
  • Immediately work to stack/replace
  • Stay vertical until ball fades you
  • Ball must be caught above eyes

Last edited:
Landry is my favorite player, he is the toughest WR in the league.

Spent some time today watching Landry and you're absolutely wrong about his ability to separate. First step is understanding and recognizing a DB's leverage. As a WR you're looking if you have access to your route or if it is closed pertaining to the leverage shown and the 3rd instance is if the DB is head up on you. That's simple. Two other critical factors in creating separation are deceptive moves and/or angle adjustments if you don't have access. Landry excels at both with exceptional route running skills and the moves he possesses. He also properly uses his feet and hands on his releases as well.

Here's what I was looking for in his releases.

Footwork

1 Step Jab Coaching Points (Sells outside to Win inside)

• Open hips (horizontal step, not vertical)
  • Chest over knee
  • Step down to win/explode out
1 Step Pick Up (Sells inside to win outside)

• Short horizontal hard step
  • Open hips
  • Chest over knee
2 Step Win Inside

• Combine pick up/jab steps
  • Open hips
2 Step Win Outside

• Combine jab/pick up steps
  • Open hips
3 Step release (good vs. aggressive DB and in goal line)

• Requires a quick combo of jab/pick up steps (WR must be fast)
  • Do not gain ground
  • Open Hips/shoulders together
  • Chest down over knee
  • Hands move with feet

And in his handwork:

Hand Techniques

Swat

• Remind athlete to keep chest down
Rip

• Dip and rip to reduce contact surface
  • Take a brush by step to clear defender
Jab and Rip

• Eyes on target (DB elbow)
Jab and Stack

Swat to Rip and Stack

• Allows us to gain vertical leverage
  • Eyes on target elbow
  • Release side hands swats across
Jab, Rip and Stack

• Shoulders down to accelerate out of stack
Release to Quick Game Break Point Position

• Release to stack
Release to Midlevel Break Point Position

• Release to stack
  • Activate hands/feet at top to decelerate (We say “hammer” or “drum” hands/feet)
Release to Quick Game

• Release to stack
  • Accelerate out- feet with a “hot coals mentality
Release to Midlevel Route

• Release to stack
  • Decelerate with active arms and feet (hammer/drum cue)
  • Accelerate by pushing down and ripping open
Release to Deep Routes

• Release to stack
  • Lean on defender if there is contact
  • Finish route by selling opposite at break (We say put some hot sauce on it, or get saucy)
Release to Fade

• Release must threaten opposite
  • Immediately work to stack/replace
  • Stay vertical until ball fades you
  • Ball must be caught above eyes

Yes understanding leverage is key to how you release and to even what route you run (option routes), The DB is going to be showing outside, inside or straight up leverage, slot guys like Landry are mainly going to be seeing inside or outside leverage. The wr also has to be on the same page as the QB on those routes: I'm curious as to how many of those plays that you watched were option routes ? . Yea Landry release is solid from a technical standpoint but great separation is not needed on the majority of his routes and his average air yard per target is 6.6 ( which is the Lowest of any slot receiver) and he catches a fair amount of his ball near the line of scrimmage.

Yes understanding leverage is key to how you release and to even what route you run (option routes), The DB is going to be showing outside, inside or straight up leverage, slot guys like Landry are mainly going to be seeing inside or outside leverage. The wr also has to be on the same page as the QB on those routes: I'm curious as to how many of those plays that you watched were option routes ? . Yea Landry release is solid from a technical standpoint but great separation is not needed on the majority of his routes and his average air yard per target is 6.6 ( which is the Lowest of any slot receiver) and he catches a fair amount of his ball near the line of scrimmage.

I didn't chart them but the spoiler tag should make it clear this **** isn't "above [my] pay grade". :pompus

I didn't chart them but the spoiler tag should make it clear this **** isn't "above [my] pay grade". :pompus

If majority are option routes and landry is consistently making the right reads than separation will be easier for him due to him making the right presnap read and the cb being in a inferior position.

If majority are option routes and landry is consistently making the right reads than separation will be easier for him due to him making the right presnap read and the cb being in a inferior position.

Don't be the pigeon in a chess match.

He is what he is, an average NFL qb. He's not terrible but he's not top ten and he will never be top 5 and prolly never top 10 as more and more young guys with more talent come into the league. I don't get what the big mystery with the guy is, people keep waiting and waiting and waiting like he's gonna do something he hasn't already in 5yrs.

Back
Top Bottom