Saban Speculation Thread Part 1 (merged 9,999x) | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saban Speculation Thread Part 1 (merged 9,999x)

Will Saban take the offer from Alabama??

• Yes, the pressures of the NFL/ lure of a huge contract is too much to pass up

Votes: 136 49.8%
  • No. Saban will honor his contract with Miami and see this through one way or the other

Votes: 137 50.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
thank god for the insider chris mortenson....

i think 3 days ago or so, many dolfans on this site said 'after the game we'll know' guess that qualifies them as espn insiders now haha...

five bucks says it comes out that Saban didn't even look at the offer.

You said it. Bill Curry was not about to be fired, it was his decision as to whether he was going to be the coach at Alabama and he did take the easy route as you said and quit after the Sugar Bowl aganst Miami. You also said Fran felt he was going to be fired. For what? That statement alone drops your credibility right down around zero. He had beaten Auburn the year before and only lost to them in his last game against them because he was sneaking around with Texas A&M instead of preparing his team to play a game.

Yeah I did say he was fired because essentially he was fired/quit at the same time. Like the example I gave with the employer vs employee comment. Maybe not officially but it reality he was. You know the official thing to save face as I already mentioned. And Fran was going to be fired due to the school knowing that he was looking elsewhere as in my example about the employee vs. employer scenario and the fact that things were just not good enough for Bama regardless if they beat Awbarn the year before or not. How could that statement drop my credibility? Your questioning my credibility because you are defending your school (I am assuming you are a Bama fan) and we have differing interpretations of the events. In my eyes you take the ultra homer view which in a way I respect.

Please refrain from personal attacks or questioning folks credibility because they disagree with you. In other words don't take it too personal. Basically other observers have observed your school and fan base putting too much pressure on coaches. Why do you think Fran was looking at A&M? Because he did not like the unrealistic expectations that came with the job!

I was thinking of Curry and Perkins in the 80's combined with Du Bose, Franchione (spelling?) and the rest of them. From what I understand and the best of knowledge Franchione felt that soon enough he was going to be axed anyway and was very unhappy at Tuscaloosa. And the word on the street was that he was one of many who told Rich Rodriguez in confidence not to go for the job cause of the unrealistic expectations that come with the job. The Price thing was his own doing and Bama was the unfortunate victim of someone's idiotic actions. And actually all the recrutiing violations came out of DuBose's regime who was as crooked as some other guys who have not been caught yet. DuBose has been pointed to as a villain and a sore eye for the legacy of the program according to a few Bama fans I have talked with on the subject.

In the 80's Perkins left for TB coaching job but was probably going to be axed cause of other teams in the SEC (namely LSU, Awbarn, FL) who were catching up and surpassing Bama on the field and in recruiting. Also, if you look at history Bill Curry was fired specifically because he could not beat Pat Dye and Awbarn. This was well know among SEC fans and the press at the time it happened in late 80's.

Hey I know your a Bama fan and want to defend your school. Though I am a LSU die hard and Fin fan all the same I respect Bama's tradition and the awesome products the school has put on the field along with all the great players down through the years. Of any opposing teams fan's I have the most respect for Bama fans who are very knowledgeable and for the most part classy (especially compared to Awbarn fans who's team I loathe to the max).

But, in my IMHO and among many other SEC fans your school and its fan base are definitley living in the past and have put extreme pressure on coaches since the early '80s to replicate the Bear's success or else. Now if Bama starts putting together a program going forward that is competitive year in and out for SEC championships and NC then the past would come full circle and good luck with whoever takes the job to keep up the pace as the expectations will rise even higher. Your thoughts on the subject is welcomed. Although a non Fins issue always like to write and talk SEC football with loyal fans of their team!

I started with Stallings because that is who you mentioned. Perkins did resign, he may have felt that he was going to be fired, and possibly would have been. He refused to change his philosophy to keep up with the changes occuring in football at the time. Curry, I'll give you that one. He was fired because he couldn't win the big games. He always had fairly good to good records but he was known as coach choke by pretty much everyone. Stallings was a good coach who left on his own because of differences with the AD and the Pres. The friction was created by one Mike DuBose. DuBose had a couple of flaws. One, he preferred his secretary to his wife. Two, he preferred to buy recruits instead of impressing them. He had to be fired. Franchione left on his own for A&M. He was not about to be fired. Pretty much everybod thought he was the next savior of the program. He left because the NCAA investigation was being completed and sanctions announced and he wanted to coach at A&M, he had an out in his contract for A&M. He probably felt that he couldn't win with the sanctions, and probably wouldn't have. I have no doubt that he would trash us given the opportunity because he was crucified in the media for the way he handled leaving. There was actually a reporter from B'Ham waiting for him to get off of the plane at A&M. Mike Price thought the company credit card was meant for strippers. That's a no-brainer. Shula's failure to improve the team as well as his inability to beat anyone with a winning record and his lack of team discipline were several of the issues involved with his firing.

The current AD and Pres. have only been in power since they inherited the DuBose circus and had to clean it up.

As far as living in the past, yeah there are some BAMA fans that can't accept that there will never be another Bear, sort of how some Phin fans can't give up Shula and Marino. I don't think that there will ever be another team that dominates college football like BAMA did during those years. The NCAA had limited scholarships, etc., to prevent it. I know he's dead, watched the funeral. I just want a coach that can teach and lead. If you have this, the winning will take care of itself.

I appreciate the good words from a Bengal. I don't have anything against most LSU fans. Some are as bad as some BAMA fans though. I agree on the awbern fans and the uteet fans are just as bad.

Thats all, yall can get back to Phinball now.

I'm hopin Saban stays. If he leaves for the money, I lose all respect for the guy. He has nothing to prove by going back to the college level except money (which looks like an awful lot and probably hard to pass up) and being a failure and a quitter in the pros.

Hope your feelin better for the new year FFIC!

If my memory is correct, NFL Network said that Alabama is offering 15 million dollars more over the next three years, then what Miami is paying. One way or in another I just want to move forward to great success of our Dolphin Organization.

If Wayne really believes Saban's the guy then he might have to make a counter offer with an extension and possible signing bonus.

Since Wayne really doesn't know a lot about football, he's already probably consulted with a bunch of different sources (like he did when he hired Nick) to find out if there's a ready-made suitable alternative or whether he'd just be better off giving him what it takes for Saban to stay.

I'm hopin Saban stays. If he leaves for the money, I lose all respect for the guy. He has nothing to prove by going back to the college level except money (which looks like an awful lot and probably hard to pass up) and being a failure and a quitter in the pros.

Hope your feelin better for the new year FFIC!
Thanks Bro, and and Celtkin and others. Was fighting a cold for two months, and went to the doctor, and thought I was better this past week, but down for the count again. Just trying to get rest. Go Dolphins!:wink:

He left on his own. That's a fact.

He was told that he would not be the coach the following year. That is fired. On the record he quit, but he didn't. It was in the best interest of Curry and the University to say he resigned.

If Wayne really believes Saban's the guy then he might have to make a counter offer with an extension and possible signing bonus.

Since Wayne really doesn't know a lot about football, he's already probably consulted with a bunch of different sources (like he did when he hired Nick) to find out if there's a ready-made suitable alternative or whether he'd just be better off giving him what it takes for Saban to stay.

With our luck with coaches, he would probably promote malarky or capers. I cringe at the thought of malarky running this team :shakeno:

I started with Stallings because that is who you mentioned. Perkins did resign, he may have felt that he was going to be fired, and possibly would have been. He refused to change his philosophy to keep up with the changes occuring in football at the time. Curry, I'll give you that one. He was fired because he couldn't win the big games. He always had fairly good to good records but he was known as coach choke by pretty much everyone. Stallings was a good coach who left on his own because of differences with the AD and the Pres. The friction was created by one Mike DuBose. DuBose had a couple of flaws. One, he preferred his secretary to his wife. Two, he preferred to buy recruits instead of impressing them. He had to be fired. Franchione left on his own for A&M. He was not about to be fired. Pretty much everybod thought he was the next savior of the program. He left because the NCAA investigation was being completed and sanctions announced and he wanted to coach at A&M, he had an out in his contract for A&M. He probably felt that he couldn't win with the sanctions, and probably wouldn't have. I have no doubt that he would trash us given the opportunity because he was crucified in the media for the way he handled leaving. There was actually a reporter from B'Ham waiting for him to get off of the plane at A&M. Mike Price thought the company credit card was meant for strippers. That's a no-brainer. Shula's failure to improve the team as well as his inability to beat anyone with a winning record and his lack of team discipline were several of the issues involved with his firing.

The current AD and Pres. have only been in power since they inherited the DuBose circus and had to clean it up.

As far as living in the past, yeah there are some BAMA fans that can't accept that there will never be another Bear, sort of how some Phin fans can't give up Shula and Marino. I don't think that there will ever be another team that dominates college football like BAMA did during those years. The NCAA had limited scholarships, etc., to prevent it. I know he's dead, watched the funeral. I just want a coach that can teach and lead. If you have this, the winning will take care of itself.

I appreciate the good words from a Bengal. I don't have anything against most LSU fans. Some are as bad as some BAMA fans though. I agree on the awbern fans and the uteet fans are just as bad.

Thats all, yall can get back to Phinball now.

Thanks for the reply. I agree mostly with your points above. Yeah Franchione officially left for A&M and the impending sanctions certainly must of had something to do with it but the way I understood it in addition they wanted him gone anyway cause they caught wind that as soon as he got to Tuscaloosa he was looking elsewhere due to not liking his new position. In other words going back to the point that he felt the heat of losing his job anyway if Bama did not get back to the top immediately sanctions or no sanctions. He should have stayed put and not go to Tuscaloosa and waited out once the job at College Station opened. It would have been better for him and Bama.

The Saban threads are like deja vu...

Last year at this time the Jet's boards were all split over Herm and whether or not he'd go to KC following a disappointing season.

Half the people wanted to let him go and the other half were defending him. Half the people thought his contract was a covenant and the other half wanted to rip it up. Half the people thought he was lying when he said he was the coach of the New York Jets and was planning to stay in that position and half of them believed him.

And then he left.

And look what we got out of it.

Saban leaving or not leaving may seem like a huge deal right now but by August 1st next year you guys will mostly have forgotten the issue and will be looking either at year three of the Saban regime or year one of whatever is next.

And there's no better way to get a fresh look at the Dolphin's problems through competent eyes than to have a new set of eyes looking things over.

If Saban leaves, he moves above Wanny on the Dolphin's hate list. :tantrum:

I don't think stating facts against conjecture is personally attacking you. Curry was around for at least one more year at Bama and there was no way in hell that Fran was going to be fired. What you posted was purely speculation and/or opinion. And by the way, I saw up close the paranoia Curry carried around with him, from the alleged brick incident(anyone who was there could see the 'brick',which was actually a paperweight, was thrown out of the window, not into his office by a fan) to his calling of the FBI for death threats against some of the players, which was odd because there was not one player on the team who received anything near a death threat. He was, and I'm sure still is, an emotionally unstable person who the players never felt comfortable having one on one conversations with. None of what I have stated is an opinion or second hand info, so attempt to refute it if you want, but the examples you have been using just don't fit the situation.

BTW I seriously considered attending LSU and loved the campus and Baton Rouge when I visited. The girls there were just crazy too! Great place.

Back
Top Bottom