San Antonio Spurs 08-09' X's 5 Redemption Thread | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

San Antonio Spurs 08-09' X's 5 Redemption Thread

Great game last night guys. Wasn't expecting that outcome at all. Looks like my Sixers are back though...hopefully :).

Its a wonder the 6ers have been able to do what they have without the one Mr Elton Brand...

Hes overpaid and probably overrated.Good game.I still think they are a player or two away from making a "turnaround" in the east.

Pacers at Spurs tonight

Yes....

Pacers 15-26

2s69h7b-1.jpg

vs.

Spurs 27-13

141l2jc-1.jpg

The San Antonio Spurs have been inconsistent on defense lately, causing more than a few headaches for coach Gregg Popovich.

Having to defend Danny Granger produces headaches for many opposing coaches.

Coming off two stellar defensive efforts on the road, the Spurs will return home Tuesday to face the Indiana Pacers and Granger, who's averaging more than 30 points per game over the last month.

San Antonio (27-13) has been a fixture atop the NBA's defensive charts over the past decade, finishing among the league's top three teams in fewest points allowed each season since 1996-97.

The Spurs are allowing 94.0 points per game midway through this season, still among the top 10 in the league but by far their worst average since they gave up 98.3 ppg 12 seasons ago - the year before Tim Duncan's arrival.

They'd allowed an average of 108.3 points in losing two of their first three games last week, which included a 109-87 defeat at Philadelphia on Friday that left Popovich fuming.

"We're supposed to be a pretty good defensive team and it hasn't looked like it for a while," Popovich said after the opener of San Antonio's three-game road trip. "We're not the team we've been in the past couple years on the defensive end. It's really troubling."

http://www.nba.com/games/20090120/INDSAS/preview.html

Its a wonder the 6ers have been able to do what they have without the one Mr Elton Brand...

Hes overpaid and probably overrated.Good game.I still think they are a player or two away from making a "turnaround" in the east.
Brand has nothing to do with the turnaround. Iguodala back at SF has alot to do with it. As does Cheeks being fired. Theres talk of Brand possibly playing the 5, keeping this team fast paced. Brand may only be 6'8", but he has extremely long arms and great awareness. As for overrated... Really? Not sure how a 20, 10 career guy is overrated.

Brand has nothing to do with the turnaround. Iguodala back at SF has alot to do with it. As does Cheeks being fired. Theres talk of Brand possibly playing the 5, keeping this team fast paced. Brand may only be 6'8", but he has extremely long arms and great awareness. As for overrated... Really? Not sure how a 20, 10 career guy is overrated.

I say overrated because he cant seem to stay on the court these last couple years.Career 20 and 10 yes,but how many games has he played the last 3 years?

You yourself just said he had nothing to do with the turnaround.Does he disrupt chemistry when he comes back?Do they really need to try and fit him into the equation?

Seems to me the 6ers are doing fine without him.

I say overrated because he cant seem to stay on the court these last couple years.Career 20 and 10 yes,but how many games has he played the last 3 years?

You yourself just said he had nothing to do with the turnaround.Does he disrupt chemistry when he comes back?Do they really need to try and fit him into the equation?

Seems to me the 6ers are doing fine without him.
Can't really blame him for being injured this year. He went up for a block, fell on the other guys back, and landed flat on his shoulder. 95% of people in this league will suffer an injury for that fall.

As for disrupting Chemistry. Who knows? I don't think it will. But I also don't want to see him play at PF, I like the fast paced team we have. If he plays the 5 though, he will certainly be an upgrade over Dalembert. Sammy has underachieved his entire career and I'm hoping somebody desperate for a good post defender/rebounder will take him off our hands.

Can't really blame him for being injured this year. He went up for a block, fell on the other guys back, and landed flat on his shoulder. 95% of people in this league will suffer an injury for that fall.

As for disrupting Chemistry. Who knows? I don't think it will. But I also don't want to see him play at PF, I like the fast paced team we have. If he plays the 5 though, he will certainly be an upgrade over Dalembert. Sammy has underachieved his entire career and I'm hoping somebody desperate for a good post defender/rebounder will take him off our hands.

My only point is 20 and 10 wont do you any good if hes in a suit 75% of the time.

My only point is 20 and 10 wont do you any good if hes in a suit 75% of the time.
I agree. The good thing is his injury isn't like a pre-existing injury that keeps getting re-injured. He fell on his shoulder and dislocated it, nothing serious thankfully.

Final: Spurs 99, Pacers 81

j6qs9e-1.jpg

Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili combined for 53 points and got to sit out down the stretch as the Spurs blew away the Pacers 99-81.

Duncan had 27 points on 10 of 15 shooting and 7 of 8 free throws and sat out the entire fourth quarter. He had 10 rebounds, two steals and a blocked shot.

Ginobili finished with 26 points. He was 8 of 10 from the field including 4 of 4 from 3-point range. He also had three assists. He sat out the last 10 minutes of the game.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/spursworld/2009/01/spurs-vs-pacers-game-chat.html

Tonight...

Nets 19-23

2wqfqyr-1.jpg

vs

Spurs 28-13

v4t301-1.jpg

Though there have been some rough stretches, the San Antonio Spurs' defense is again the team's strength. In recent years against the New Jersey Nets, San Antonio has never wavered from its hard-nosed play.

The Spurs, enjoying an outstanding run on defense, look to extend a 12-game winning streak against the visiting Nets on Friday night.

San Antonio (28-13) has the same record at the midway point of the season as it did a year ago, becoming a contender yet again in the Western Conference despite starting 2-5 and playing without injured stars Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker earlier in the season.

San Antonio's response was to get back to its defense-first ideology, which has led it to four titles since 1999. Ginobili and Parker then rejoined the lineup, and the Spurs have won 26 of their last 34.

"We haven't played our best and we still have a pretty good record," guard Roger Mason said. "We can get better and we're going to continue to do so."

The Spurs are allowing 93.7 points per game, and 84.0 en route to winning their last three contests. There have been some rough patches, though.

San Antonio allowed 100 points or more in three of its first four games, and in three straight before its current run.

Against the Nets (19-23), however, the Spurs have been dominant, holding them to 79.0 points and 38.1 percent shooting during a 12-game winning streak - including the postseason. New Jersey hasn't beaten San Antonio since a 77-76 home win in Game 4 of the 2003 NBA finals on June 11, 2003.

The Nets also enter this contest having lost a season-high four straight, averaging 90.5 points during that stretch, and with star point guard Devin Harris' status uncertain due to a nagging rib injury.

Spurs 94 Nets 91

35btwl3-1.jpg

The TV set was off in the Tim Duncan household at 6 o'clock Thursday night. This he swears.

So he did not personally see the announcement that he'd been named an All-Star starter for the 10th season in a row. He also did not see Gary Payton, a guest analyst for TNT, make the case that Minnesota's Al Jefferson — not Duncan — deserved the spot.

“I didn't see it,” Duncan said, with a smidgen of sarcasm. “I can't imagine what I was doing.”

A night after getting his All-Star due, Duncan provided a reminder to the doubting masses – which apparently consist of Payton and certain members of the Jefferson family – as to why. Duncan scored 30 points and grabbed 15 rebounds to go with five assists and four blocks, as the Spurs outlasted the New Jersey Nets 94-91 on Friday night at the AT&T Center.

Duncan had 14 of his points in the first quarter, and then scored six during a key stretch of the fourth. If somewhere Payton was reconsidering his stance, well, that wasn't Duncan's intent.

“I don't make statements to Gary Payton,” Duncan said.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Another_squeaker.html

Sunday

Spurs 29-13

2rptraa-1.jpg

vs.

Lakers 34-8

t4y7gk-1.jpg

Andrew Bynum has had no trouble overpowering two of the worst teams in the NBA this week. He’ll now try to continue his recent dominance against one of the league’s best as the Pacific Division-leading Los Angeles Lakers host the Southwest Division-leading San Antonio Spurs on Sunday.

Los Angeles (34-8) and San Antonio (29-13) have combined for nine of the last 10 Western Conference titles and they are again in the mix for the top seed.

The Lakers, who have a five-game lead atop the West over the second-place Spurs, eliminated San Antonio in five games from last season’s conference finals, and now boast a threat they didn’t even have for that series.

Bynum missed the second half of last season and the playoffs with a left knee injury, but has been a force in the paint lately.

After finishing with a career-high 42 points and 15 rebounds in a 108-97 win over the Los Angeles Clippers on Wednesday, Bynum had 23 points and 14 boards in Thursday’s 117-97 victory over Washington - the Lakers’ third straight win.

“I’m happy for him. If Andrew can continue to have that type of presence in the middle - no matter who the other team is - we’re going to be a much better team,” Lakers point guard Derek Fisher said. “He seems to just be getting more comfortable on the court, physically.”

Bynum is 25-of-36 from the floor in his last two games, and played just 27 minutes against the Wizards as coach Phil Jackson gave his starters extra rest in the easy win.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2009012513&prov=ap

Tonight...

Spurs 29-14

24e525h-1.jpg

vs.

Jazz 25-20

2q9jfaq-1.jpg

Not even three minutes into the first quarter of Sunday's loss to Denver, Jazz coach Jerry Sloan decided he'd seen enough. Despite not having played in the previous five games, up came Ronnie Price from the bench to replace starter C.J. Miles.

The move still couldn't stop the Jazz from burying themselves in the first quarter for the third time during their current three-game losing streak. They trailed Denver 35-26 Sunday, Cleveland 33-23 Saturday and Houston 31-19 Wednesday.

What started as a trend on the Jazz's pre-Christmas trip -- including a 27-7 first-quarter disaster at New Jersey -- has become an epidemic, one that has Sloan contemplating whatever lineup changes he can make.

"It's gotten to be a common occurrence almost every night we step out there," Sloan said. "The start of the first and third quarters, we don't get anything.

"It's not totally [Miles'] fault, but we probably have to take a look at changing something because we're not getting very much efficiency out of anything we do."

As long as Andrei Kirilenko is out with an injured right ankle, however, Sloan conceded his options are scarce. He could replace Miles with Kyle Korver, Matt Harpring or Ronnie Price, but would prefer to use the three off the bench.

http://www.sltrib.com/jazz/ci_11560815

Back
Top Bottom