Sanchez-Henne-Fitz Watch | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sanchez-Henne-Fitz Watch

Again they allowed those extra seconds to run off after we scored. Looking at the play by play had they not allowed 15-16 secs to run off our 3rd timout would have been before 2:40(it was at 2:33) meaning the 3rd down play would have happened before the 2 min warning so we would have gotten the ball back w/ a similar amount of time left.

It was exactly 14 seconds after the assumption that Sanchez crossed the line. Watch the highlight. I say assume becasue it is very hard to tell. It looks like the earliest he may have crossed the goal line was at the 3:00 mark. The clock stopped at 2:46. That is 14 seconds.

Watch the game again, and you will see that the clock would not have stopped until the 2:26 mark on 2nd down. Even with 14 extra seconds, that is still enough time to bring it to the 2 minute warning before 3rd down.

It was a terrible call to pass it, and allowed the Jets the opportunity to tie it.

It was exactly 14 seconds after the assumption that Sanchez crossed the line. Watch the highlight. I say assume becasue it is very hard to tell. It looks like the earliest he may have crossed the goal line was at the 3:00 mark. The clock stopped at 2:46. That is 14 seconds.

Watch the game again, and you will see that the clock would not have stopped until the 2:26 mark on 2nd down. Even with 14 extra seconds, that is still enough time to bring it to the 2 minute warning before 3rd down.

It was a terrible call to pass it, and allowed the Jets the opportunity tie it.

But 14 secs makes all the difference, our last timeout was called w/ 2:33 to play after 1st down. add 14 secs and it's 2:47, meaning they would have had to run their 3rd down play before the 2 min warning. if the call isn't blown we don't need Detroit to throw the incomplete pass.

But 14 secs makes all the difference, our last timeout was called w/ 2:33 to play after 1st down. add 14 secs and it's 2:47, meaning they would have had to run their 3rd down play before the 2 min warning. if the call isn't blown we don't need Detroit to throw the incomplete pass.

That does not account for any time running off the clock when Det ran their 2nd down play. Det had a 6 yard run on 2nd down which took 7 seconds off the clock. They would have been able to bring it to the 2 minute warning even if you add the 14 seconds. The Jets needed a break (just like they did in a few other games), and they got one. It is what it is. That's not a bad thing, but just admit that without the other teams mistakes, the Jets don't win. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.

7 secs is a long time for a 6 yd run and that would have brought it down to 2:40 and they still would have had to get a play off before the 2 min warning on 3rd down.

The Jets force mistakes, once or twice I'd call it luck but over and over and over again? Plus you guys only see plays that go for us(see the Den example) and not plays that go against us.

7 secs is a long time for a 6 yd run and that would have brought it down to 2:40 and they still would have had to get a play off before the 2 min warning on 3rd down.

The Jets force mistakes, once or twice I'd call it luck but over and over and over again? Plus you guys only see plays that go for us(see the Den example) and not plays that go against us.

All I can say is watch the game again. Couldn't Det have taken a delay of game penalty and bring it to the 2 minute warning with 2:40 on the clock? It is very hard to tell when Sanchez crossed the goal line, and when the clock really should have stopped. It could have easily been only 12 or 13 seconds lost. Regardless, you are debating over 1 second just to try and give credit when it is not due.

I give credit when I think a team deserves it. I don't see how the Jets should get credit for a really dumb call, timely injuries to the other team, or a blocking breakdown that allows a guy to come through untouched to block a punt.

I call it like I see it. The Den call was the right call, and I never said otherwise. The Den CB did tug on Holmes' face mask. Why would I want to debate about plays that go against the Jets? I am not defending Det or any other team for the stupid plays / calls that lost them games, and I would not defend the Jets for stupid plays or calls. The point is the other teams lost those games, the Jets didn't win them.

All I can say is watch the game again. Couldn't Det have taken a delay of game penalty and bring it to the 2 minute warning with 2:40 on the clock? It is very hard to tell when Sanchez crossed the goal line, and when the clock really should have stopped. It could have easily been only 12 or 13 seconds lost. Regardless, you are debating over 1 second just to try and give credit when it is not due.

I give credit when I think a team deserves it. I don't see how the Jets should get credit for a really dumb call, timely injuries to the other team, or a blocking breakdown that allows a guy to come through untouched to block a punt.

I call it like I see it. The Den call was the right call, and I never said otherwise. The Den CB did tug on Holmes' face mask. Why would I want to debate about plays that go against the Jets? I am not defending Det or any other team for the stupid plays / calls that lost them games, and I would not defend the Jets for stupid plays or calls. The point is the other teams lost those games, the Jets didn't win them.

Maybe they could have done that? we are pulling out a million different scenarios. Worst case the Jets get the ballback w/ 1:15 or so to play in good FP. That would have been plenty of time to get into FG range.

It was at least 14 seconds, I think it was more like 15-16. Again, I will have to check the tape.

Good teams find ways to win, you only seem to see when other teams make dumb calls, make mistake or have bad calls go against them but it happens to us too but we can overcome.

The Jets took advantages of other teams mistakes, they deserve credit for that.

Maybe they could have done that? we are pulling out a million different scenarios. Worst case the Jets get the ballback w/ 1:15 or so to play in good FP. That would have been plenty of time to get into FG range. It was at least 14 seconds, I think it was more like 15-16. Again, I will have to check the tape. Good teams find ways to win, you only seem to see when other teams make dumb calls, make mistake or have bad calls go against them but it happens to us too but we can overcome. The Jets took advantages of other teams mistakes, they deserve credit for that.
The Jets started at the 22, and with only 1:15 and no timeouts, I don't think it is likely. None of that would even matter had the Det kicker not gotten injured forcing a DT to attempt an extra point. Injuries are a part of the game, but for that to happen at that time in that situation was a lucky break. I do give the Jets credit for taking advantage of the opportunities that are given to them. The point is they don't even have a chance in a lot of those games if those kind of things don't happen. It happens to other teams as well. The Jets do not deserve credit for the other teams mistakes / misfortunes.

The Jets started at the 22, and with only 1:15 and no timeouts, I don't think it is likely. None of that would even matter had the Det kicker not gotten injured forcing a DT to attempt an extra point. Injuries are a part of the game, but for that to happen at that time in that situation was a lucky break. I do give the Jets credit for taking advantage of the opportunities that are given to them. The point is they don't even have a chance in a lot of those games if those kind of things don't happen. It happens to other teams as well. The Jets do not deserve credit for the other teams mistakes / misfortunes.

That was very early in the game, they should have their P be able to kick PATs, they clearly felt comfortbale Suh could do it. No excuses.

We were at the Det 28 w/in a 1 minute so if there was 1:20 to play we still would have had 20 secs to kick the GW FG at a makeable distance.

That was very early in the game, they should have their P be able to kick PATs, they clearly felt comfortbale Suh could do it. No excuses.

We were at the Det 28 w/in a 1 minute so if there was 1:20 to play we still would have had 20 secs to kick the GW FG at a makeable distance.

It was early in the 3rd quarter, but it does not matter when it was. It was a 1 point difference maker, and another example of a dumb decision by Det.

The Jets were on their own 44 with snapping the ball with 49 seconds left on the clock. It took them 51 seconds to go from their own 22 to the 44. There would have only been 23 seconds left, and I doubt the Jets would be dumping short to LT with that kind of time left. They were only in FG range due to another stupid play by Det. Had that not happened, they would have been on the Det 43 with 14 seconds. You can try to explain away Detroit's decision to pass on 3rd down up 3 with under 2:00 to go, and you can say N.Suh kicking an extra point is not an excuse. You can even say that that the Jets would have made it in FG range even without the unnecessary roughness penalty. The fact is when you combine all of those thing happening (which they did) it means that the Lions lost that game all on their own.

I credit the Jets for driving in OT and winning it, but they were lucky they had the opportunity.

It was early in the 3rd quarter, but it does not matter when it was. It was a 1 point difference maker, and another example of a dumb decision by Det.

The Jets were on their own 44 with snapping the ball with 49 seconds left on the clock. It took them 51 seconds to go from their own 22 to the 44. There would have only been 23 seconds left, and I doubt the Jets would be dumping short to LT with that kind of time left. They were only in FG range due to another stupid play by Det. Had that not happened, they would have been on the Det 43 with 14 seconds. You can try to explain away Detroit's decision to pass on 3rd down up 3 with under 2:00 to go, and you can say N.Suh kicking an extra point is not an excuse. You can even say that that the Jets would have made it in FG range even without the unnecessary roughness penalty. The fact is when you combine all of those thing happening (which they did) it means that the Lions lost that game all on their own.

I credit the Jets for driving in OT and winning it, but they were lucky they had the opportunity.

Again, we got to the Det 28 in 1 minute. regardless of all of this the Lions made mistakes(would that throw have been a mistake if they converted for the 1st down and ended the game? that's what Pit did in the title game- was that a bad play?) and the Jets capitalized like good teams do.

Good teams find ways to win, bad ones find ways to lose.

Lets get this straight.

Time left: 3:00
1 yard QB sneaks gets a TD on the first effort. MAXIMUM time taken off: 2 seconds.
Time left at kickoff: 2:58
Kick return time: 9 seconds
Time left when Detroit takes the field: 2:49.

A 1-yard straight forward QB sneak doesn't take 4 seconds. You know why? cuz the runner does not have to be tackled. He just has to extend the ball. Look at that play. It should actually take about 1 second off. Snap, plant foot, and move ONE yard forward. Even if it takes 3 seconds, Detroit should have 2:48 left on clock when they take field. They HAVE to run two plays before two min warning. Then third down takes say 5 seconds and Jets call their 3rd TO. Time left 1:55 or 1:54 (The exact same time Detroit had left when they actually punted).

Difference? The boneheaded play balanced out the 13 second run off at the 1 yard QB sneak TD.

See my above post why 14 seconds left is wrong.

As for the penalty, Jets were at Det 43 with 40 seconds left, game clock stopped. Add 15 for penalty and Jets were at Det 28. They ran two plays not going out of bounds before spiking the ball and gained 10 yards. If they were on Det 43 with 40 seconds left, u think they would run two plays in the middle of the field before spiking it? Thats your football IQ?

Again, we got to the Det 28 in 1 minute. regardless of all of this the Lions made mistakes(would that throw have been a mistake if they converted for the 1st down and ended the game? that's what Pit did in the title game- was that a bad play?) and the Jets capitalized like good teams do.

Good teams find ways to win, bad ones find ways to lose.

That is the whole point. The lions made mistakes that allowed the Jets to win the game. Without them, they lose. Finding a way to win is when you do things on your own. You can't find an injury, or a stupid play or call by the coach. That is getting lucky. The call to pass on 3rd down when the other team has no timeouts is a horrible call especially when you have a backup QB in.

That is the whole point. The lions made mistakes that allowed the Jets to win the game. Without them, they lose. Finding a way to win is when you do things on your own. You can't find an injury, or a stupid play or call by the coach. That is getting lucky. The call to pass on 3rd down when the other team has no timeouts is a horrible call especially when you have a backup QB in.

You didn't answer the question- was it dumb for Pitt to throw on 3rd down in the title game? Same type of situation but they completed it and won the game.

Lets get this straight. Time left: 3:00 1 yard QB sneaks gets a TD on the first effort. MAXIMUM time taken off: 2 seconds. Time left at kickoff: 2:58 Kick return time: 9 seconds Time left when Detroit takes the field: 2:49. A 1-yard straight forward QB sneak doesn't take 4 seconds. You know why? cuz the runner does not have to be tackled. He just has to extend the ball. Look at that play. It should actually take about 1 second off. Snap, plant foot, and move ONE yard forward. Even if it takes 3 seconds, Detroit should have 2:48 left on clock when they take field. They HAVE to run two plays before two min warning. Then third down takes say 5 seconds and Jets call their 3rd TO. Time left 1:55 or 1:54 (The exact same time Detroit had left when they actually punted). Difference? The boneheaded play balanced out the 13 second run off at the 1 yard QB sneak TD.
You don't know it, but you are agreeing with me. Go back and read my post #136 and you will see that we agree that Sanchez crossed the goal line at around the 3:00 mark. The Jets only had 1 timeout and the Loins should have had the ball with (according to you 2:48 left). They would have been able to take it to the 2 minute warning before 3rd down. You are not taking into account any time for the Lions 1st and 2nd down plays. According to the play by play, the 1st down play (-2 yard run) took 4 seconds before the Jets could call a TO. The 2nd down play took 7 seconds. It does not show that in the play by play because it went to the 2 minute warning, but if you watch the game, you will see that. 2:48 minus 11 seconds (Det 1st and 2nd down play) equals 2:37. A play clock runs for 40 seconds easily getting to the 2 min warning before 3rd down. With a Det run the Jets would have had the ball with under 1 minute to play no timeouts.
See my above post why 14 seconds left is wrong. As for the penalty, Jets were at Det 43 with 40 seconds left, game clock stopped. Add 15 for penalty and Jets were at Det 28. They ran two plays not going out of bounds before spiking the ball and gained 10 yards. If they were on Det 43 with 40 seconds left, u think they would run two plays in the middle of the field before spiking it? Thats your football IQ?

14 seconds is wrong. They would not have had any time left at all. I did not take into account the 14 seconds that it took for Det to punt the ball. They would have had no time left at all. Thanks for pointing that out.

You can't automatically put the Jets on the Det 43 with 40 seconds left. It took them 51 seconds to go from their own 22 to their own 44. It would have been very different had they only had under a minute to work with rather than the 1:40 they had (due to the stupid call by Det) Had Det ran the ball on 3rd down, it would have put the Jets on their own 22 with under a minute to play. If they made the same exact plays (which is not likely as things are much differnet with less time) that would put them on their own 44 with just a few seconds left. I doubt the Jets would be dumping short to LT with 8 or 9 seconds left in the game. Without the penalty they would have been on the Det 43 with no time left on the clock. Again, they needed those things to happen, or they don't win.
You didn't answer the question- was it dumb for Pitt to throw on 3rd down in the title game? Same type of situation but they completed it and won the game.
The situation is a little different seeing as how you have a SP winning QB who knows that if the play is not there to take a sack, and not a back up QB like Det had. Still a gutsy call, but not as bad when you consider who is behind center.

Was it a bad call by Det?

Back
Top Bottom