Saturday 7/31/04 TC Report-Morning Session | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Saturday 7/31/04 TC Report-Morning Session

Awesome dude. Thanks for braving the heat so we can read it from the ac controlled living rooms.

Guy Incognito said:
These posts are the reason why I visit this site :)

Keep em coming!

There are a ton of reasons to keep visiting this site, I love this site more then any other Miami site on the internet...

but with that said, thanks for the report and its good to hear Fiedler is focused and playing well...

GMP-AGAIN said:
FinsFlurry wrote, in part,

Seems like the O-line is still going to be a major question. I do not like reading about the few yards gained and the stops made by the defense on the RB's. Looks like if the running game is down this year, it will again be at the hands of the o-line. Of course, this is only one training session and they have a lot of work to do. Let us hope the O-line improves the most during camp.

Thanks for the report nonetheless!

its a double edge sword with these training camps. With our guys practicing against one another, if you read the RB's breaking it for long runs you will have to question our defense.

Or you can look at it like, no back runs all over the Miami dolphins defense, if ricky williams struggled in camp, so all this will do will make these guys that much better when we play against opposing teams who dont have the run defense we have...

DolFinatic718 said:
its a double edge sword with these training camps. With our guys practicing against one another, if you read the RB's breaking it for long runs you will have to question our defense.

Or you can look at it like, no back runs all over the Miami dolphins defense, if ricky williams struggled in camp, so all this will do will make these guys that much better when we play against opposing teams who dont have the run defense we have...
Exactly! This is almost the same defense that didn't allow 1 100 yard back last season. No one and I mean no one, ran effectively against this D!

Go FINS!!!

Oops, almost forgot. Thank you, Finsflurry, for the report! Keep up the great work!

Fins... Thanks for the report pretty darn acurate. I was out there today too... that heat was something else! Didnt think it would be that bad at 9am but i forgot i was in south florida i guess.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, but i actually thought the O-Line was looking okay today... much better than any of the QB camps. Sure there is still work to do, but there were a lot of runs and i saw a few holes. Give this group a chance i think they will get it together. I also want to mention Jeno James, that guy is a beast and he is very impressive. He was the first one out there working and the last one back in the locker room... i thought it work ethic shined bright today.

On another note, although Zach wasnt in pads and working with the team, it was good to see him doing the running drills, he looks pretty good and should be back in pads very soon.

Anyway, thanks again for the report.. dont know how many more i will make but i hope to make as many as possible!

MissMeth :missmeth:

Finsflurry said:
I can't tell you guys how happy I am to see men in pads, I almost got up and started singing "Men in Tights". No notable absences except for Ganji, Zach Timbo and McIntosh were out there but not in pads and they didn't participate in the drills. They started off with some sprints and stretching with the big elastic bands, nothing new there. Mare was off practicing 35-yard field goals and didn't miss a single one, btw Ed Perry is such a good long snapper, I never realized how consistent and accurate he was until he was hurt and we suffered. He makes a huge difference in the kicking game, both the holder and kicker know it'll be there everytime and it alleviates a lot of pressure. Everyone then started screaming and whooping it up, they ran into a big circle and they were getting hyped, I remember a few "We don't need his ***" and "This sh#t is a team," I like that fire and intensity, I like it alot.

I am loving our 2 rookie LBs right now, Tony Bua and Derrick Pope both had fantastic days. They might be the two best hitters on the team and that's saying something considering you got Seau and Knight back there. Bua's instincts are a bit better now but I like what I see from both. Bua is impressing me with his willingness to learn, I remember a certain play during minicamps where the qb would PA fake and Bua would react to it, allowing Lee to get behind him for an easy catch, they ran this play on him a few times during the minicamps. Well today they tried it again and this time he went back in coverage and timed his jump perfectly and nearly picked it off. It's little things like this that will make him a very good player for us IMO, I hate to say it but he does remind me alot of Zach...

Anyways, they split up and did some individual drills, Turk punted a few balls from his own endzone with a rush in his face and was getting off some high boomers, the ST unit is improved in all facets from last year and should be our single greatest strength IMO. Turk tailed off a bit at the end when they started to bring insane pressure, but I'm not concerned because they had 11 guys rushing the ball with no one back to recieve so I highly doubt that happens in regular circumstances. Chambers and Boston didn't do any individual drills with the other receivers, I saw them talking to Sullivan and Trestman alot though, Trestman was having them line up in all kind of formations during some drills, with alot of quick cuts crosses seams and outs, the transition to a short passing attack may be underway. I saw alot more 3-5 reciever sets during some drills...

The qbs did some light throwing and hand-offs, everyone looked good and the RBs had some spring in their step, knowing they're all in the mix for that primary position. Sammy Morris is suprisingly nimble and fast for a big back, he ran very well today. Morris, Minor and Henry are more than good enough to handle the load and if you sprinkle in some Fred Russell we don't look half bad. I'm just glad we have some young eager guys who want to tote the ball and help this team, unlike another scumbag we all know and love. Finally they scrimmaged, although it was just runs for the first one.

Scrimmage 1

Minor 3 yd run (hit by Seau)
Minor 1 yd (Chester)
Minor 2 yds (Seau and Chester)
Sammy Morris 5 yds (Surtain)
Morris 4 yds (Jenkins)
Morris no gain (Bua, Romero)
Minor 2 yds (Williams, Bua)
Minor no gain (Romero, Pope)
Morris 1 yd (Poole)
Morris 2 yds (Brown, Pope)
Russell 4 yds (Pope, Bua)
Last Pope flies in the backfield and nails Minor, gets tons of praise from all the coaches, he looked like Junior on that one

The 0-line was getting handled pretty good out there, even with pads. Not exactly encouraging, I expected a few more running lanes but at least it's the first day.

7 on 7s

Jay out to Minor 4yds
Jay over the middle to Minor 5 yds
Jay quick out to CC, tackled by Surtain
Jay incomplete to Newson over the middle
Jay to Newson 3 yds nailed by Knight
Jay to Newson 7yds on in cut
AJ to Simmons 13 yds
AJ to Snoop great catch along sidelines 25+ yards however might have been a trap
Aj inc dropped by Tolver
AJ to CC 4 yds
Aj inc knocked down and nearly picked off by Bua (play I was describing earlier)
AJ to Perry nice romp down the sidelines
AJ to Derrius on cross route 8 yds

Scrimmage 2

Jay out to CC 10 yds, great pass
Minor 4 yd run
Morris hit in backfield by Bua
Morris 10 yd run
Jay rollout to Konrad
Jay over middle to Snoop, terrific pass needled it in 20 yds

I left then due to the heat and the fact that Sage was coming on the field. Jay was throwing some real nice passes today, he led the offense very well. He was on target short middle and deep, which is great to see from him.

3 Stars

Tony Bua: Great day, showed terrific instincts as well as good run support and pass coverage

Derrick Pope: See above

Jay Fiedler: Was very accurate and poised throughout, nice day all-around

Highlight: Jay and AJ's pass to Snoop, two nice throws and two nice catches

Lowlight: The o-line during the running scrimmage

Much appreciated, thx!

Oliver...

Fiedler has proven he can play well and look good in training camps and preseason games. That hasn't resulted in success when the REGULAR SEASON starts.

I don't care how bad AJ plays in these camps, AJ is starting WEEK 1. You don't give up a 2nd round draft pick for a #2 quarterback. That is the EASIEST way to get fired in this league.

AJ alreay won the job. AJ is starting vs Tenn this year.

If AJ goes out when the REGULAR SEASON starts and has that deer in the headlights look and bombs, then Fiedler will play. If AJ is halfway decent, then Feidler is #2.

I dont' care who does what in a training camp session or how the stats add up in a preseason game. This is already AJ's job. End of story.

LOVE THE REPORT though. Keep em coming. Great work on the write-up!

34RWilliams said:
I bet the next hard knocks is about the dolphins. It would make a great drama

Actually, this year it is going to be the Jacksonville Jaguars. For a while, it didn't look like there might be one but Jack Del Rio was part of the coaching staff during the first season (Baltimore) and hoped to get similar value from it for his team.

"Hard Knocks" has moved to NFL Network this year.

I think whether the Dolphins volunteer for that show will depend completely on the wishes of the next coach. I get the sense that a lot of coaches would find the cameras and cordless microphones much more of a distraction than a benefit.

The Dallas season was just lame, as it looked like Jerry Jones had structured training camp for the sake of the cameras rather than having the cameras capture what would have ordinarily gone on. Plus other than Jerry, the Cowboys really didn't have the personalities to pull that off.

Actually Cincy had signed on for this year with HBO. Then backed out once the NFL got involved and said it was going to be on NFL Network and some paperwork issues got in the way.

Finally Cincy got tired of waiting around and being in a state of limbo with the whole thing and said screw it. This was a while ago though, Im surprised they found another team to sign on.

Thanks Flurry, as always a great job...

I would not worry about our running game as much, remember our defense is very stout against the run, I would start to worry if we were doing great against our D....

Finsflurry said:
You can say that about Jay in the past and trust me I have, but today if you were open he got it to you. AJ is very accurate but so was Jay, at least for today.
WELL THATS GOOD TO HEAR I DON'T CARE WHO PLAYS AS LONG AS THE BEST MAN WINS. :D

Back
Top Bottom