Sean Smith: needs to go

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by slider732, Jan 13, 2013.

1. slider732

slider732 Long time poster on ESPN Fins Board

@SeanSMITH24: Must be nice to play whatever technique u want, do a lil trash talkin, and be yourself out there!!! One day

This is a shot across Philbins bow as far as I'm concerned. This guy needs to go, he's not any good, and runs his mouth like a teenage girl.

Let him go in fa, sign Cox and draft Millner. Done and done.

2. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

Might not be a shot at Philbin and more like a shot at Coyle/secondary coach.

It's true though we need to let our guys be themselves but also disciplined.

3. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

In other words it's somebody else's fault he didn't have a great season. He had a new coach this past year, had a different coach last year, and yet a different coach his rookie season but it's not his fault he doesn't make plays...its all those other coaches he's had.

4. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Two things: First of all, IF it is a shot against Coyle then it is a shot against Philbin. Second, to be fair he says right before that he wants to come back.

5. flynryan15

flynryan15 A True Fan Donator

Hey Sean must be nice to have CBs that hold on to the ball! Must be nice to have CBs that don't piss their pants tackling a RB! Hey Sean it must be nice to have CBs that make a stop on third down to stop a game winning drive! Hey Sean you know what will be real nice? When I don't have to watch you embarrassing my team weekly!

6. slider732

slider732 Long time poster on ESPN Fins Board

@JustinGrimes15: @SeanSMITH24 if thats ur opinion, then leave mia as a fa. u are god awful + are scared to tkle. And you cldn't catch a cold. #goodriddence

I replied with that to him and he blocked me. Hahaha I must have struck a nerve.

7. phinfan13

phinfan13 A True Fan

Yeah, it would be a bad idea to pay this #3 corner $5-7 million a year.

8. BAdkins159

BAdkins159 Well-Known Member

Amen, nothing would make more happier than to see Smith in another uniform next season. He is awful.

9. Strangeworld

Strangeworld A True Fan

Good thing we traded Vontae for a ham sandwich eh?

looks like Jeffy the Ball Boy bet on the wrong "horse"

laughable

10. King Dingaling

King Dingaling Well-Known Member

When does he have an opportunity to talk trash??? He constantly gets beat and never makes plays on the ball!!! Go somewhere else and play whatever technique you want while getting burned every play!!! I'm done with him. We can draft a CB that covers way better than he can anyway. P.S. I've never seen a 6'3 220lb corner that's afraid to tackle like him.

11. Phins1020

Phins1020 Well-Known Member

As much as everyone hates him, we are going to have to re-sign him. I would rather us get a corner in FA and the draft but we are too stupid to do that. Cox and Milliner would be ideal, but we need to trade down to get to Milliner, and I doubt we will spend big money on a FA corner. If we let Smith walk, we don't have any corner backs, and we won't even be in position to get Milliner in the draft either way.

12. Vertical Limit

Well maybe you guys are right, I mean Jones has the same coaches and he had a pro bowl year in my opinion. Don't see what Smith's excuses or ranting is about if you look at it like that.

13. phinfan13

phinfan13 A True Fan

This is one of the reasons why we're stuck at 7-9, because we overpay sub-par to average players. Its why, despite our records these past couple of years, we never had a lot of cap space the following season. Now I'm not necessarily against resigning Smith, but only for 3-4 million a year. On an average to good secondary, Smith would be a #3 corner. Only on our awful secondary is Smith considered a "#2, possible #1." He doesn't make plays against the good or better QBs and teams; his INTs and dropped INTs come against the Kevin Kolbs and Mark Sanchezs of the world. Against the Lucks, the Bradys, Smith gets burned and blows coverages all the time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2013
  14. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

"It's too hard to find a replacement" is and never will be a valid reason for not trying to actively improve your roster. Take on the challenge and draft better

15. Vertical Limit

You're right but some on this site seems to want to pay Long, pay Smith, pay Hartline, pay Starks, pay Fasano (lol), pay everyone, you know, the same group of guys who only amount to 7 wins the past 4 years.

Hartline and Bush are the only one who should get paid, and Jones deserves an extension. Starks perhaps at the right amount of money.

16. islandah

islandah FinHeaven VIP

We can? The guy that would be in charge of doing that is the guy that drafted Vontae and Smith in the first place- what makes you think he'd do any better this time?

17. cullenbigcstill

cullenbigcstill FinHeaven VIP

I'd like to see us use the money from Smiths contract and a possibly a lil more and use it on another SS CB, the one from GB. We should add Sam Shields, he has blossomed into a terrific cover corner, he plays the ball well is always in the receiver plays tight coverage, can actually catch, is from Florida, played WR at the U before bonehead realized he'd be a much better CB and special teams stud. This guy would blossom with Coyle, and maybe a few GB receivers come with him to create a major talent influx to the Dolphins.

18. Phins1020

Phins1020 Well-Known Member

I completely agree, but I think he is a restricted FA, so we would probably lose a pick if we want to sign him. I am all for that, but I think we should go out and find our own guys through the draft. All my marbles are on Milliner. He looks like a really solid CB and he was well coached under Saban. You won't be getting some rookie CB who will look absolutely lost from day one, I think he has the ability to cover any receiver, hell, he covered Tyler Eifert very well in the BCS Championship. We need to trade some picks to get him though, so I don't think we will be doing that. Basically, we are stuck with Smith.

19. jlfin

jlfin old pro

And that guy (Ireland) drafted a guy (Vontae Davis) that was consdidered the top cover CB in that draft and who was projected to be a top 15 pick on most draft sites. I recall many posters on this site speaking very highly of Sean Smith in the draft forum. The Phins drafted him where he was projected more or less. Many were very happy with those 2 picks at the time and most of us were very encouraged following their rookie seasons.
    I personally don't spend a lot of time criticizing things in hindsight. That's the easiest thing in the world to do and its a waste of time and energy.

20. MarshallFin1

MarshallFin1 A True Fan

ya'll need to get off sean smith, just cause he doesnt get a ton of ints doesnt mean he isnt an effective Good Cover CB. Its obvious coyle is not letting him be as aggressive as he would like to play and its holding smith back a bit.

I disagree, we are 7-9 because we cant put up enough points on offense due to having limited low talent in our WR core. Our defense played well enough to where this team could have went 10-6 and made the playoffs.

21. Twitches Brew

Twitches Brew A True Fan

For me, Keenan Allen would be the ideal FA get. I hope we go after him hard.

22. Strangeworld

Strangeworld A True Fan

than proceeds to trade him for peanuts

23. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Since when is a 2nd round pick peanuts?

24. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Active Member

SSmith always has excuses for anything that doesn't go his way. He is as bad as BMarshall for pointing a finger elsewhere instead of ever accepting personal responsibility for his words or actions...

25. AlphaPHIN

AlphaPHIN Well-Known Member

Yea, lets create more holes for this team.

26. DzakkH13

DzakkH13 Winning is a Habit Donator

Sean is referencing to Miami moving to ZONE schemes the 2nd half of the season because Carroll can't play man.

Sean plays at a very high level in man to man schemes only. He is average at best in zone schemes.

His work against Larry and A.J. (8 rec, 64 yards and 9 rec, 65 yards respectively) shows he can lock on to opposing teams #1 WRs in man coverage.

27. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

he probably wasnt too happy they traded Davis

28. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

:hclap:

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

I Ireland could tag and trade; Sean Smith, I'd forgive him.

29. DzakkH13

DzakkH13 Winning is a Habit Donator

I bet not dlockz. Carroll is no starting CB in this league.

30. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

How hard is it to replace a CB that can't tackle, can never locate the ball, drops ints, and gets burned all the time? Miami can find that in a couple undrafted FAs....at half the price of Sean Smith.

31. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

There's already a hole at CB...because Sean Smith sucks.

32. phinfan13

phinfan13 A True Fan

Its not just the lack of INTs and dropped INTs that bother me per se about Smith. One has to go "inside the numbers" and look against who those dropped INTs are coming against and its not the Tom Bradys, Matt Schaubs, Joe Flaccos, and Matt Ryans of the world. Against those QBs, Smith always get burned and blows coverages.

Also, Smith isn't really a good coverage CB. Go back and look at the Luck to TY Hilton TD in our game against them. Rodney Harrison rightly called Smith's coverage on that play "garbage defense." He gave up both of the TD passes and many other key first downs in that game too.

That's why I said one of the reasons, not the only one. Our defense, and secondary in particular, are not good enough to get the job done, especially come playoff time. After all, half of our defense's INTs came against Kevin Kolb and Mark Sanchez. A telling stat.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2013
  33. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Im not sure why he has a roster spot. i wish we could get jimmy smith from balt. he is not a starting corner but could be a decent nickel and plays great special teams

34. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Miami should have traded Sean smith to Indy instead of vontae.

35. phinfan13

phinfan13 A True Fan

Yet, he gave up 8 rec for 119 yards, 1 TD against Andre Johnson in week 1. Don't just looks at the WRs that they are guarding, but the QBs and teams that they are playing against.

36. mrhankey81701

mrhankey81701 A True Fan

Players need to stay off Twitter does more harm then good

37. Etuoo33

Etuoo33 Seasoned Veteran

If he would only play like he talks, we would have one less problem on this team. Sadly he will probably get more than he's worth.

38. Fins_of_Fury

Fins_of_Fury In a contract year

I feel confident with Sean Smith as our #1 Corner! - Said No One Ever

39. Vertical Limit

I hate the "Yeah let's create more holes on this team argument", yes, because we've been so good the past 4 years right? 7 wins each year with these guys. These guys can't win. We're no worse without them than we are with them. So your argument is we should pay everyone just because we can't do better? That's cool, that means Ireland is a pretty bad GM then.

Tannehill and his offense will be the difference between whether we become relevant or not. Not Sean Smith, I have seen cornerbacks just as good or better starting in the playoffs than Sean Smith and they're not asking for the money Smith wants.

40. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

I concur. I doubt even with their rookie emerging that they let him get away though. Here is a terrific fit though. I'd be 100% down to let Smith walk and get Cox and Shields and still draft someone early. But that secondary would be automatically much improved

He's a college player. Gonna be drafted..

41. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

I think S. Smith is worth about same as what MArshall is getting. 3 year 17M contract. If he can do better then let him test FA. Lots of good corners in this draft. Draft 2 CBs if you have to or draft one and sign a FA that will take less and play better. I think we need to draft a CB and a S in the first 5 picks.

42. MarshallFin1

MarshallFin1 A True Fan

He had 1 bad game but apart from that 1 bad game where just about everything that could go wrong did , he has been solid and healthy. Would you rather nolan carroll as one our starting CBS? because i guarantee no top free agent CB is going to want to play in miami, we arent a contender and Ireland rep doesnt make things any easier for our free agency pickups. Combine that with our cheap owner who doesnt wana spend any money on the team, no stadium upgrades, and sean smith is your best option. Now i do agree with you on one thing, pick up a few cbs early in the draft in case things dont workout with smith but as of now you have to sign him. We already have to worry about richard marshall playing less than 4 games a season and when he does play he stinks worse than nolan carroll.

43. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro

Agreed, lack of scoring is our biggest issue. Bitching about the defense is almost a waste of breath until we can score the league average. Give this defense 24 points a game and see how many games they lose.

44. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

He meant Keenan Lewis.

45. finitis23

finitis23 Well-Known Member

because Vontae's season was much more spectacular than Smith's right ? lol

46. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

I disagree with this completely, there are only 32 NFL GMs on the planet and they are supposed to be the best of the best at evaluating and projecting talent, they are supposed to have the best foresight, basically, they get paid millions of dollars to read the tea leaves. Mere mortals can't judge the job they do on the day of the draft, we can only judge them through hindsight.

It doesn't matter if Ireland picks the guy 100% of us want or goes completely against the grain and picks somebody we've never heard of, all that matters is he picks the right guy. The funny thing is (and by funny, I mean pathetic), if you look at all of our picks from the first 3 rounds over the past 5 drafts, the times Ireland chooses a player that a decent percentage of fans want they turn out to be some of his better picks: Tannehill, Long, Pouncey, Davis, Smith and Vernon

If you look at the players where he picks against the grain, where people go 'we took who!?' he hasn't been as good: Donald Thomas, Daniel Thomas, Pat White, Jared Odrick, John Jerry, Micheal Egnew

Like I said, go against the grain all you want, just be right. I don't have time to go back to see who all the consensus picks were but I bet that we would have a much better team if Ireland just chose all the consensus picks from the finheaven draft forum. I think we deserve better than that.

47. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

:lol: :lol: What in the world are you talking about?

[​IMG]

48. dolphintodd

dolphintodd FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

No teamin their right mind will sign him, since it means yet another new coach

49. Mcganiel

Mcganiel A True Fan

Davis should have been moved to safety because he was an outstanding tackler, but i don't think he was smart enough..

50. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

Yeah, I was kinda curious about a 2nd round pick being a ham sandwich.