Sean Smith: needs to go | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sean Smith: needs to go

ya'll need to get off sean smith, just cause he doesnt get a ton of ints doesnt mean he isnt an effective Good Cover CB. Its obvious coyle is not letting him be as aggressive as he would like to play and its holding smith back a bit.

Its not just the lack of INTs and dropped INTs that bother me per se about Smith. One has to go "inside the numbers" and look against who those dropped INTs are coming against and its not the Tom Bradys, Matt Schaubs, Joe Flaccos, and Matt Ryans of the world. Against those QBs, Smith always get burned and blows coverages.

Also, Smith isn't really a good coverage CB. Go back and look at the Luck to TY Hilton TD in our game against them. Rodney Harrison rightly called Smith's coverage on that play "garbage defense." He gave up both of the TD passes and many other key first downs in that game too.

I disagree, we are 7-9 because we cant put up enough points on offense due to having limited low talent in our WR core. Our defense played well enough to where this team could have went 10-6 and made the playoffs.

That's why I said one of the reasons, not the only one. Our defense, and secondary in particular, are not good enough to get the job done, especially come playoff time. After all, half of our defense's INTs came against Kevin Kolb and Mark Sanchez. A telling stat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet not dlockz. Carroll is no starting CB in this league.

Im not sure why he has a roster spot. i wish we could get jimmy smith from balt. he is not a starting corner but could be a decent nickel and plays great special teams

Sean is referencing to Miami moving to ZONE schemes the 2nd half of the season because Carroll can't play man.

Sean plays at a very high level in man to man schemes only. He is average at best in zone schemes.

His work against Larry and A.J. (8 rec, 64 yards and 9 rec, 65 yards respectively) shows he can lock on to opposing teams #1 WRs in man coverage.

Yet, he gave up 8 rec for 119 yards, 1 TD against Andre Johnson in week 1. Don't just looks at the WRs that they are guarding, but the QBs and teams that they are playing against.

If he would only play like he talks, we would have one less problem on this team. Sadly he will probably get more than he's worth.

I feel confident with Sean Smith as our #1 Corner! - Said No One Ever

I hate the "Yeah let's create more holes on this team argument", yes, because we've been so good the past 4 years right? 7 wins each year with these guys. These guys can't win. We're no worse without them than we are with them. So your argument is we should pay everyone just because we can't do better? That's cool, that means Ireland is a pretty bad GM then.

Tannehill and his offense will be the difference between whether we become relevant or not. Not Sean Smith, I have seen cornerbacks just as good or better starting in the playoffs than Sean Smith and they're not asking for the money Smith wants.

I'd like to see us use the money from Smiths contract and a possibly a lil more and use it on another SS CB, the one from GB. We should add Sam Shields, he has blossomed into a terrific cover corner, he plays the ball well is always in the receiver plays tight coverage, can actually catch, is from Florida, played WR at the U before bonehead realized he'd be a much better CB and special teams stud. This guy would blossom with Coyle, and maybe a few GB receivers come with him to create a major talent influx to the Dolphins.

I concur. I doubt even with their rookie emerging that they let him get away though. Here is a terrific fit though. I'd be 100% down to let Smith walk and get Cox and Shields and still draft someone early. But that secondary would be automatically much improved

For me, Keenan Allen would be the ideal FA get. I hope we go after him hard.

He's a college player. Gonna be drafted..

I think S. Smith is worth about same as what MArshall is getting. 3 year 17M contract. If he can do better then let him test FA. Lots of good corners in this draft. Draft 2 CBs if you have to or draft one and sign a FA that will take less and play better. I think we need to draft a CB and a S in the first 5 picks.

Its not just the lack of INTs and dropped INTs that bother me per se about Smith. One has to go "inside the numbers" and look against who those dropped INTs are coming against and its not the Tom Bradys, Matt Schaubs, Joe Flaccos, and Matt Ryans of the world. Against those QBs, Smith always get burned and blows coverages.

Also, Smith isn't really a good coverage CB. Go back and look at the Luck to TY Hilton TD in our game against them. Rodney Harrison rightly called Smith's coverage on that play "garbage defense." He gave up both of the TD passes and many other key first downs in that game too.

That's why I said one of the reasons, not the only one. Our defense, and secondary in particular, are not good enough to get the job done, especially come playoff time. After all, half of our defense's INTs came against Kevin Kolb and Mark Sanchez. A telling stat.

He had 1 bad game but apart from that 1 bad game where just about everything that could go wrong did , he has been solid and healthy. Would you rather nolan carroll as one our starting CBS? because i guarantee no top free agent CB is going to want to play in miami, we arent a contender and Ireland rep doesnt make things any easier for our free agency pickups. Combine that with our cheap owner who doesnt wana spend any money on the team, no stadium upgrades, and sean smith is your best option. Now i do agree with you on one thing, pick up a few cbs early in the draft in case things dont workout with smith but as of now you have to sign him. We already have to worry about richard marshall playing less than 4 games a season and when he does play he stinks worse than nolan carroll.

ya'll need to get off sean smith, just cause he doesnt get a ton of ints doesnt mean he isnt an effective Good Cover CB. Its obvious coyle is not letting him be as aggressive as he would like to play and its holding smith back a bit.

I disagree, we are 7-9 because we cant put up enough points on offense due to having limited low talent in our WR core. Our defense played well enough to where this team could have went 10-6 and made the playoffs.

Agreed, lack of scoring is our biggest issue. Bitching about the defense is almost a waste of breath until we can score the league average. Give this defense 24 points a game and see how many games they lose.

I concur. I doubt even with their rookie emerging that they let him get away though. Here is a terrific fit though. I'd be 100% down to let Smith walk and get Cox and Shields and still draft someone early. But that secondary would be automatically much improved

He's a college player. Gonna be drafted..

He meant Keenan Lewis.

Back
Top Bottom