Sean Smith... "the most coveted" free agent? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sean Smith... "the most coveted" free agent?

SCLSU Mud Dogs

Foosball is the devil
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Sean Smith - DB - Dolphins

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, "maybe the most coveted" name on the free-agent cornerback market is Sean Smith.

Rapoport lists the Eagles, 49ers, Buccaneers, and Lions as teams that "value" Smith. All are cornerback needy, and Philadelphia reportedly likes Smith "a ton." Rapoport suggests the Eagles may let free agent Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie walk, sign Smith, and bring back Nnamdi Asomugha on a restructured contract.
Related: 49ers, Buccaneers, Lions, Eagles

Source: NFL.com

I'm confused by the Eagles.

Nnamdi and Smith both excell in man coverage schemes, yet Eagles run mostly zone. This is why Nnamdi got abused last year. So now you bring him back along with Smith who couldn't play zone to save his life?

I remember Smith really looks up to Nnamdi and they had some conversations early in his career since they both fit the same size mold. I wonder if being around Nnamdi would do Smith some good.

I always said he is much more highly thought of in the NFL than he is in our fanbase. If Smith walks Miami will live to regret it.

I wouldnt be at all surpised if Smith joins the Patriots.

No way in the world is Smith the most coveted free agent lol

5 career interceptions... need I say more. He dropped the Colt game. He may get the BIG contract but caveat emptor!

Been saying this all offseason . . . when you factor in everything, Smith arguably weighs out as the best free agent CB on the market. He flashes shut down ability at times and he is still improving . . . many feel his best football is still ahead of him. He has great size . . . that is not easy to find in the NFL and yet people wanna just let him walk like he's a nobody. Truth is, people don't watch all of the other CBs every play and base there knowledge on subjective stats and automatcially discount Sean when he takes a minus on a play like other CBs don't.

Oh yea, lets take on one of these CBs coming off of injury and 2 rookies and we'll be fine. Truth is, odds are against Miami that they find 2 CBs in the draft that are equal to Smith and Davis, let alone an improvement. CBs are coveted in today's NFL, which is why they have the third highest franchise number in the NFL.

Miami would do well retaining Sean Smith . . . . and the Jason McCourty deal would be a good deal for both sides. (6 years / 43 million)

It says he's the most coveted FA corner. Big difference

I wouldn't mind if Smith walks, I'm not a big fan of his but he is "our" guy. I do believe that he can still improved. He looked great the first 4 or 5 games and then started playing soft again.

Anyway, do we play Philly this year?

I would love to go to there stadium and see Tanny throw for 500 yards on Nnambdi and Sean Smith lol. Hilarious. Neither of those guys scare me one bit. Too lanky.

What's the likelihood that he gets how to play zone?

MRojas4, the Eagles have new coaches and likely a new scheme.

Sean and Nnamdi would make a formidable tandem in man coverage.

Back
Top Bottom