Sean Smith... "the most coveted" free agent? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sean Smith... "the most coveted" free agent?

I always said he is much more highly thought of in the NFL than he is in our fanbase. If Smith walks Miami will live to regret it.

I wouldnt be at all surpised if Smith joins the Patriots.

Couldnt agree more......we need to keep him. He is worth the7-8mil he wants

Sean Smith who should be an elite corner. He has all the tools to do this. I don't doubt that one bit. However, my problem is that you can't just hope forever for a guy to reach his potential. The fact that he has only 5 picks in his career i find absolutely shocking. He is too inconsistent and too unreliable. I wouldn't be disappointed if we resigned him for a two or three year deal and maybe address it again in a year if he improves. But he does not warrant the money he wants. If he played the whole season like he did the first 5 or 6 games i wouldn't have a problem but he had some terrible performances in the second half of the season. I would much rather target Derek Cox and let Smith walk but i wouldn't be upset if we kept Smith. We need to draft a CB whether we keep Smith or not because Patterson or Carroll are not #2 corners.

Why on God's green earth would you covet players who are lazy, and lack heart? Guys that leave plays on the field while having no desire to be great? Dudes who are weak minded that require either Grandma's approval or that of the Twitter world? Why would a GM look to get equal value for those qualities? What type of backwards decision making must a GM have that would make him fearful in their ability to replace people who have displayed a consistent ineptitude for the game?

My friend, you are a person who's logic makes absolutely no sense.

In my book, you either swing for the fences in this life or don't act and watch other people be great behind the fences.

Its pretty ironic that you type "you either swing for the fences in this life or don't act and watch other people be great" When Sean Smith is one of the most highly sought FA CB in this FA in the NFL yet you call him lazy and lack heart. Yes hes lazy and lacks heart because he misplays a few balls yet how many people go out every single day try to play NFL corner and don't make it because they aren't good enough.. He has has no desire to be great? When Marshall was playing and he was ABLE to play MAN COVERAGE he was great. He played AJ Green and Fitzgerald very well. When Marshall got hurt and we were forced to play more zone he disappointed because he isn't a zone corner. The whole "A Player is lazy because they aren't the best at their position" is complete BS.

Ok, so my opinon on a players talents is a direct result of the type of person that I am . . . am I getting this correct? You don't know me, so don't assume anything about me . . . my friend.

When you say players are lazy and lack heart . . . . who are these players and how personal do you know them to where you believe they are lazy or lack heart? Does a players personality mean more than the talent on the field? Because there are a bunch of UDFA's who are probably Jeff Ireland / Joe Philbin guys from a personality standpoint but can't sniff the field on Sundays. In this league you need talent, and in 5 years of being the GM, the 2 best CBs that Jeff Ireland have brought in were Vontae Davis and Sean Smith . . . . this is from Free Agency and the draft. We have seen guys like Eric Green and Gibril Wilson receive solid contracts only to **** the bed (in Eric Green's case literally) yet we are expecting to get rid of our 2 best Cbs from this regime in less than a year and magically replace them with draft picks and free agents like the past never happened? I'm a realist and your disdain for Vontae and Smith for whatever reason has messed with your perception of reality.

The fact that you call out Vontae because of a Hard Knocks episode where he wanted to call his grandma just shows you that you have no respect and no idea about his life and his circumstances and you clearly overlooked his playmaking ability he flashed for the Colts . . . something this team certainly could use right now. Is he squeaky clean . . . no . . . is he immature . . . yea he is . . . who gives a damn, the kid can play and the kid is physically gifted . . . but I guess we'll settle for Carroll, Wilson, Patterson and Marshall next season and hopefully those guys can swing for the fences together. So Sean Smith was outspoken on Twitter early on in his career . . . what does that have to do with anything?

I can tell you obviously put Jeff Ireland on a pedastool so we will never agree, but what in his tenure has he shown you to give you confidence that he'll get the right skill position personnel, both on offense and defense, to field a solid team? I'm hopeful, but I haven't seen it . . . however the list of free agent busts and draft pick failures probably quadruples the list of solid finds.

Agree 100%

If a DB can't succeed with Croyle as his coach then he poetically won't succeed. I really liked this guy coming out of college but he just doesn't seem to get it. Good riddance Mr. Smith.

Sensitive much?!

Nah, but if you got a point to make, you can do it without insinuating the type of person that I am. I don't expect people to agree with everything I have to say because I certainly don't agree with everything people have to say . . . but differentiating opinons is what makes this board what it is.

Nah, but if you got a point to make, you can do it without insinuating the type of person that I am. I don't expect people to agree with everything I have to say because I certainly don't agree with everything people have to say . . . but differentiating opinons is what makes this board what it is.
Thanks bro.

Sean Smith who should be an elite corner. He has all the tools to do this. I don't doubt that one bit. However, my problem is that you can't just hope forever for a guy to reach his potential. The fact that he has only 5 picks in his career i find absolutely shocking. He is too inconsistent and too unreliable. I wouldn't be disappointed if we resigned him for a two or three year deal and maybe address it again in a year if he improves. But he does not warrant the money he wants. If he played the whole season like he did the first 5 or 6 games i wouldn't have a problem but he had some terrible performances in the second half of the season. I would much rather target Derek Cox and let Smith walk but i wouldn't be upset if we kept Smith. We need to draft a CB whether we keep Smith or not because Patterson or Carroll are not #2 corners.

Thing with Derek Cox is, he's a walking injury and you honestly can't let Smith go and expect Cox to be reliable enough to take over for him. If you target Derek Cox, it is to pair with Sean Smith. Either way a CB needs to be on the menu with one of those first 5 picks in the draft.

Smith hasn't played CB very long. It's not an excuse, he has dropped wayyyy to many INTs and that is a disturbing trend that just has to turn around for him. I seriously think it's fluky as hell and it's one of those things that can turn around in the span of one year . . . where he goes from like 2 INT's to 8 or 9 INT's . . . his hands have failed him. I honestly believe his best days at CB are ahead of him.

I hope he sticks around . . . I didn't hear one whimper from him in 4 years of him playing at a 500,000 a year contract and he has earned the right to be a free agent and seek a deal that is fitting for him, whether people think he deserves it or not. Hopefully we can work something out to where he stays a Dolphin.

If a DB can't succeed with Croyle as his coach then he poetically won't succeed. I really liked this guy coming out of college but he just doesn't seem to get it. Good riddance Mr. Smith.

I don't think he has failed under Coyle . . . we certainly had to take him away from what he does best due to the deficiencies of the rest of the CB group and that affected his play during the latter part of the year, but to call Smith a failure . . . I just don't see where the hate for him comes from. He was playing a high level early on. I mean people have a certain disdain for him that is Michael Egnew like . . . and all the guy has done is be a starter from day 1 and yet people call him a colossal failure . . . I don't see it, but it is what it is.

I don't think he has failed under Coyle . . . we certainly had to take him away from what he does best due to the deficiencies of the rest of the CB group and that affected his play during the latter part of the year, but to call Smith a failure . . . I just don't see where the hate for him comes from. He was playing a high level early on. I mean people have a certain disdain for him that is Michael Egnew like . . . and all the guy has done is be a starter from day 1 and yet people call him a colossal failure . . . I don't see it, but it is what it is.

He is not an abject failure he just hasn't ascended to his potential and I don't think he will. If he came back for a reasonable price, I would be happy to have him. However, I remember a lot more times being pissed at him for missing a big play or for giving one up than I ever was thankful that he made a big play or prevented one.

As Miami get value for Sean Smith then let him walk. Either franchise tag and trade or tender and trade, get value and let stone hands walk.

Make a solid offer like 2 years 14 million and then let him walk if he wants more

One man's junk is another man's problem! I would take either one of the Eagles Corners over Sir Drops-alot any day of the week!

Back
Top Bottom