Signs point to trading a 3rd or 4th round pick | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Signs point to trading a 3rd or 4th round pick

MrEd

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/11/1524571/how-did-miami-dolphins-lose-out.html

Jeff Darlington - (The harsh road bump Clark's hasty departure has caused the team is a tough setback, but the Dolphins have since entered into a regrouping phase for several days, nowreevaluating how to address the safety position.
The team believes the first stage of free agency has concluded, and it is now in the stages of deciding whether to address the position through free agency or the draft. Miami is weighing all factors -- from a select number of restricted players to a thin, ordinary crop of remaining unrestricted players.
Those decisions are likely to come to light over the course of the next week).

:ponder:You know based on the fact that Miami is on year 3 of the rebuilding stage and the amount of holes that we still have is pointing me to believe that Miami is be dealing our 3rd and/or 4th round picks. Why?

Because they need to 'ensure' that they come away with 4 "starters" from our top 4 rounds of the draft, that's why. And its not a probability that your 3rd and 4th round picks start in their rookie years, unless you are lucky.

History show that the most likely rounds to land your immediate starters are in the first 2 rounds of the draft. So that's why I can see the FO not wanting to give up those high picks. But after that, 3rd round and beyone its a lot more luck than the first 2 rounds.

But with all these holes still to fill at starter level with SOLB not having a starter right now, NT not having a starter (or at least no viable backup for the first 8 games), no starter at FS, no true big play WR in the starting lineup, no pass catching threat at starting TE, question mark at starting RG, no PR, etc. I would think that they are pondering opening up to moving a 3rd and/or 4th round picks or a 2011 pick and negociating with a team(s) for RFAs that can be starters at any of those positions.

I mean NT, FS, and SOLB absolutely do 'not' have starters currently. And one can argue the same thing with #1 'big play' WR spot and/or TE spot. So one can 'argue' that are roster is lacking 5 starters right now, at least 3 starters most definitely.

This leads me to believe that I am not going to be the least bit surprised if/when Miami sends the #74 pick or the #108 pick or a pick in 2011 for a RFA at one of the needed positions.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/11/1524571/how-did-miami-dolphins-lose-out.html

Jeff Darlington - (The harsh road bump Clark's hasty departure has caused the team is a tough setback, but the Dolphins have since entered into a regrouping phase for several days, nowreevaluating how to address the safety position.
The team believes the first stage of free agency has concluded, and it is now in the stages of deciding whether to address the position through free agency or the draft. Miami is weighing all factors -- from a select number of restricted players to a thin, ordinary crop of remaining unrestricted players.
Those decisions are likely to come to light over the course of the next week).

:ponder:You know based on the fact that Miami is on year 3 of the rebuilding stage and the amount of holes that we still have is pointing me to believe that Miami is be dealing our 3rd and/or 4th round picks. Why?

Because they need to 'ensure' that they come away with 4 "starters" from our top 4 rounds of the draft, that's why. And its not a probability that your 3rd and 4th round picks start in their rookie years, unless you are lucky.

History show that the most likely rounds to land your immediate starters are in the first 2 rounds of the draft. So that's why I can see the FO not wanting to give up those high picks. But after that, 3rd round and beyone its a lot more luck than the first 2 rounds.

But with all these holes still to fill at starter level with SOLB not having a starter right now, NT not having a starter (or at least no viable backup for the first 8 games), no starter at FS, no true big play WR in the starting lineup, no pass catching threat at starting TE, question mark at starting RG, no PR, etc. I would think that they are pondering opening up to moving a 3rd and/or 4th round picks or a 2011 pick and negociating with a team(s) for RFAs that can be starters at any of those positions.

I mean NT, FS, and SOLB absolutely do 'not' have starters currently. And one can argue the same thing with #1 'big play' WR spot and/or TE spot. So one can 'argue' that are roster is lacking 5 starters right now, at least 3 starters most definitely.

This leads me to believe that I am not going to be the least bit surprised if/when Miami sends the #74 pick or the #108 pick or a pick in 2011 for a RFA at one of the needed positions.
It depends on who is out there worth trading for. This front office is not going to just trade a pick for a veteran just for the sake it. They love their draft picks, and they love building through the draft. Which is a VERY smart philosophy.

Last year, Ireland really wanted to trade for McDaniel and he did by sending Jacksonville a 7th round pick. Parcells was OK with the move but he told Jeff that since he lost a draft pick, he must find a way to recoup it. A few days later, Satele was traded for a 6th round pick.

They may make a trade for a player, but I wouldn't say it is a certainty. This front office doesn't like to move picks for veterans very often unless they get tremendous value. Like the 6th round pick for Ferguson or the two for one trade when they sent a 4th round pick to Dallas for Ayodele and Fasano.

Hope they do, what we need is proven talent to shore up this team and avoid the Pat Whites and Patrick Turners of last years draft and the Gibril and Greens of FA. And thank god they have stayed away from overpriced guys like Rolle, Bryant and Boldin who are getting Ed Reed money and more than Randy Moss and other top receivers in the NFL. It looks like they have learned from their mistakes.

I would go the opposite direction, actually. This draft is so deep that a 3rd or 4th rounder might very well be good enough to start. I would say don't be surprised if Ginn and Camarillo are dealt for 3rd and 4th round picks respectively. Al Davis would snap up Ginn for a 3rd in a heartbeat. The problem is Camarillo and who needs a slot receiver; the only teams I can think of would be Ravens (who no longer have a pick that high) and the Chiefs, which is far more likely given the quid pro quo that this FO and theirs seem to have. Maybe entice them to throw a third in for Fasano and use that pick and a 2011 pick to trade up into the second round.

I just have a hard time believing with how this FO loves picks they trade a 3rd or a 4th.

It depends on who is out there worth trading for. This front office is not going to just trade a pick for a veteran just for the sake it. They love their draft picks, and they love building through the draft. Which is a VERY smart philosophy.

Last year, Ireland really wanted to trade for McDaniel and he did by sending Jacksonville a 7th round pick. Parcells was OK with the move but he told Jeff that since he lost a draft pick, he must find a way to recoup it. A few days later, Satele was traded for a 6th round pick.

They may make a trade for a player, but I wouldn't say it is a certainty. This front office doesn't like to move picks for veterans very often unless they get tremendous value. Like the 6th round pick for Ferguson or the two for one trade when they sent a 4th round pick to Dallas for Ayodele and Fasano.

Yes, this is true. Though this year is a different year and in a different stage of the rebuilding. They are said to be re-evaluating their strategy on filling the FS spot. Meaning that initially, they had made up their minds that FS was not coming from the draft, the #12 pick was going to be used on another player. But now that they were unable to land a FS via FA, they are now re-evaluating their decision and pondering, "Is there another way to obtain a starting FS that is not a rook."

Only way that is going to happen is by RFAs, if Sharper isn't the guy. Which by their belief that the initial UFA rush is now 'over', that Sharper is not a guy they are thrilled with as the starting FS.

So I could see them go for Otogwe and be willing to part with a pick in order to influence STL to not match or flat out poison pilling it. Or maybe they can find another team willing to trade a starting FS for a 3rd rounder or something like that.

Other than that, they are forced to use the #12 pick on Earl Thomas, a rookie. Something that they have shown, not desiring.

I would go the opposite direction, actually. This draft is so deep that a 3rd or 4th rounder might very well be good enough to start. I would say don't be surprised if Ginn and Camarillo are dealt for 3rd and 4th round picks respectively. Al Davis would snap up Ginn for a 3rd in a heartbeat. The problem is Camarillo and who needs a slot receiver; the only teams I can think of would be Ravens (who no longer have a pick that high) and the Chiefs, which is far more likely given the quid pro quo that this FO and theirs seem to have. Maybe entice them to throw a third in for Fasano and use that pick and a 2011 pick to trade up into the second round.

Trading Ginn Jr for a 3rd round pick would be, in my opinion, foolish. Why? Because then you 'force' yourself, just as we have done with the FS spot, to have no choice but to land a starter at that spot, even if their isn't anything desirable left.

Ginn's starting spot is not the position you want to get rid of without landing his replacement, FIRST. Why? Because Bryant is 'likely' not to be there at #12 to replace him. And if he is, you lose out on landing a starting NT, or at least now put yourself at the russian roulette of hoping Cody or Cam Thomas isn't drafted before #43, which is very likely to happen. You can't risk that, which is why I believe Dan Williams is the choice at #12.

Then, as is likely, if Bryant goes before #12, are you now forced to draft Benn or Demaryius Thomas at #12? Because they will not be there at #43. So Ginn can't be traded until you see what has happened with the draft, first.

Yes, I can see Ginn traded before the draft...but only in a trade with another pick for his replacement.

Hope they do, what we need is proven talent to shore up this team and avoid the Pat Whites and Patrick Turners of last years draft and the Gibril and Greens of FA. And thank god they have stayed away from overpriced guys like Rolle, Bryant and Boldin who are getting Ed Reed money and more than Randy Moss and other top receivers in the NFL. It looks like they have learned from their mistakes.

Actually, they didn't stay away from Rolle. They pursued him as plan A. Yes, I agree they stayed away from Boldin and Bryant, but they definitely did not stay away from Rolle. They definitely pursued him, just struck out. You probably meant, you are glad they struck out on him because he wasn't worth it, but we definitely did not stay away from him.

1st next year for bethea. If we get Bethea, a SOLB, a #1 WR and a NT we will be in the playoffs at the least so a 25th pick and up for bethea is wel worth it.

Please. Ryan Grice-Mullen could do Ginn's job, and probably do it better.

No he can't. That's pure stupidity. He's barely as fast as BESS, and has shown himself to be a truly mediocre return man, and an equally mediocre (if not worse) WR. He may not even be around very long.

Back
Top Bottom