Signs point to trading a 3rd or 4th round pick | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Signs point to trading a 3rd or 4th round pick

Problem with that is who the heck would want to trade up to #12? Not an easy task. Very slim chance we get anyone to trade up to #12.

Highly disagree with this. There is a chance one of Berry, McClain, or Bryant fall to #12 and I think you would have suitors interested in moving up if one of those 3 fall.

I would go the opposite direction, actually. This draft is so deep that a 3rd or 4th rounder might very well be good enough to start. I would say don't be surprised if Ginn and Camarillo are dealt for 3rd and 4th round picks respectively. Al Davis would snap up Ginn for a 3rd in a heartbeat. The problem is Camarillo and who needs a slot receiver; the only teams I can think of would be Ravens (who no longer have a pick that high) and the Chiefs, which is far more likely given the quid pro quo that this FO and theirs seem to have. Maybe entice them to throw a third in for Fasano and use that pick and a 2011 pick to trade up into the second round.

If Ginn goes as part of a package with 3rd I'm down with that... Camarillo for a fourth and I'm driving them both to the airport... I think Ginn will be staying but stranger things have happened.. Cam for a fourth...?

I think you guys are underestimating Chris Clemons.

And with Will Allen coming back we could even move Vontae to FS if we absolutely had to.

I think you guys are underestimating Chris Clemons.

And with Will Allen coming back we could even move Vontae to FS if we absolutely had to.

Terrible post. The FO has stated repeatedly this offseason that while they have high hopes for Clemons, he has not developed enough yet to be a starter. And there is no way we would move a 1st round pick from CB to a position of luxury in only his second year in the league.

Terrible post. The FO has stated repeatedly this offseason that while they have high hopes for Clemons, he has not developed enough yet to be a starter. And there is no way we would move a 1st round pick from CB to a position of luxury in only his second year in the league.

Then why cut Wilson?

They arent going to cut him unless they feel they can play with who they have.

This regime is all about smokescreens, wouldnt surprise me one bit if they want people to think we are safety hungry going into the draft.

As for moving Davis, why not? The guy is built like a safety and loves to hit.

If you are calling FS a position of luxury then what does it matter anyway? Filling it shouldnt be a high priority.

Every time people on here talks about trading our draft picks it makes me think of Wanny and is not a good feeling.Amazing how soon we forget about the last 3 coaches this team had...for Wanny trading high picks came so natural and it hurt our team so much....please FO, don't listen to anyone saying we should trade our picks.

Ozzy rules!!

This thread started off so good with the first two posts, and then.... IMOH, the front office is trying to increase the odds by filling holes through free agency. You try to improve your chances by filling holes without overpaying to do so making it easier to finish with the draft, allowing you the option of trading then either to pick up choices or players. I don't think you'll see a trade for a 3rd or 4th before draft day, maybe a 6th or 7th. The value of draft choices is twofold, youth and a lower/longer contract (not if you have one of the top picks). You never 'hit' on every choice, but this regime has done better than most.(can you say Vernon Gholston or Pat White?)

"You know based on the fact that Miami is on year 3 of the rebuilding stage and the amount of holes that we still have is pointing me to believe that Miami is be dealing our 3rd and/or 4th round picks. Why?"

Christ, I wish I could get paid for coming up with such a WEAK, INANE premise.

Parcells entire MO is based on building a team through the draft, and CONTINUALLY bringing in rookies to compete and improve the roster.

Every year they consider dealing picks to move up or down or for players. They don't do it more because they've been here for 2 years already.

They are professionals who have been doing this for MUCH longer than darlington has been posing for photo opportunites. I'm sure the labour agreement & the uncapped year factor MUCH higher than anything that this interior decorator is suggesting.

I just have a hard time believing with how this FO loves picks they trade a 3rd or a 4th.

The only way I see them doing it is if they have plans of dumping someone like Ronnie, although I could see the 4th kind of like year 1 when they traded for fasano and akin, but like I said if they do you better believe there's someone right behind it getting the ax to get the picks back.

I figure this is as good a post as any to respond to seeing as how it consolidates a lot of the conversations all over this board... So, here are my two cents:

NT - Personally, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Trifecta go for someone in the 4th rnd or later to fill our need. When you look at Fergy, it reminds you that Parcells likes to grab guys for the position much later on average. I serioulsy doubt we use an earlier pick to fill this spot.

FS - So far, the Dolphins look like they have every interest in filling this spot through free agency. NOT the draft unless (once again) it's someone late into the draft like Clemons was. The attitude seems to be they want a veteran for leadership and talent both though I am perplexed as to why they keep going for run-stuffers as opposed to ball-hawkers. Doesn't make a lot sense to me but oh well. I expect them to start looking really hard at RFAs and maybe even throw out some sort of trade on Draft Day/Weekend for someone. Bethea would be fantastic imho but way to costly as it stands right now.

WR - I wouldnt be shocked about a 1st or 2nd rnd pick being used to fill our big gaping hole. I would be a bit shocked with Bryant as the whole character thing is a major concern but maybe the regime thinks differently.

OLB - This is where I think we go hog-wild in the draft. I think CK hit the mark when he suggested the Dolphins would use 3 picks on this position this year in the draft. It's a robust position this particular draft AND we arguably need 2 starters (assuming we dont bring Taylor back in as a stop gap). I really believe that 2 out of our first 3 draft picks are going to be used for this position.

All of this is purely based off of opinion and previous history with Parcells and his drafts with the Dolphins and all of the other teams he has been involved with over the years so take it with a grain of salt.

I figure this is as good a post as any to respond to seeing as how it consolidates a lot of the conversations all over this board... So, here are my two cents:

NT - Personally, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Trifecta go for someone in the 4th rnd or later to fill our need. When you look at Fergy, it reminds you that Parcells likes to grab guys for the position much later on average. I serioulsy doubt we use an earlier pick to fill this spot.

FS - So far, the Dolphins look like they have every interest in filling this spot through free agency. NOT the draft unless (once again) it's someone late into the draft like Clemons was. The attitude seems to be they want a veteran for leadership and talent both though I am perplexed as to why they keep going for run-stuffers as opposed to ball-hawkers. Doesn't make a lot sense to me but oh well. I expect them to start looking really hard at RFAs and maybe even throw out some sort of trade on Draft Day/Weekend for someone. Bethea would be fantastic imho but way to costly as it stands right now.

WR - I wouldnt be shocked about a 1st or 2nd rnd pick being used to fill our big gaping hole. I would be a bit shocked with Bryant as the whole character thing is a major concern but maybe the regime thinks differently.

OLB - This is where I think we go hog-wild in the draft. I think CK hit the mark when he suggested the Dolphins would use 3 picks on this position this year in the draft. It's a robust position this particular draft AND we arguably need 2 starters (assuming we dont bring Taylor back in as a stop gap). I really believe that 2 out of our first 3 draft picks are going to be used for this position.

All of this is purely based off of opinion and previous history with Parcells and his drafts with the Dolphins and all of the other teams he has been involved with over the years so take it with a grain of salt.

I wouldn't be surprised if they pick up an o-lineman in the first 4 rounds.
I would be shocked if they pick up a wr in the first round.

They need a guard who can push for starting time & stay healthy.

So does trading him first before landing his replacement.

We should trade Ginn while we can still get something for him. In a year or two, we won't even be able to get a 3rd for him...and I'm not sure we could right now either.

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense trading down our first round pick to pick up an extra 2nd rounder and then using one of them to get a Safety or whatever are biggest need is as that time?

It would IMO. If there were a run on LB's maybe the Titans or Giants would want to move up.

SF is also another possibility to work a deal with so the phins get an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder.

trading down would be fantastic but probably unrealistic at this time. The biggest reason any team moves up these days are when that "perfect cog" of a player falls far enough that they feel they have to move up to snatch him. QBs in particular tend to fit this bill and with the moves made this last week in the NFL, I just don't see any freefalls occuring that would scare a team into moving up to snatch someone like Clausen or McCoy. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE for it to happen. I just don't expect for it to happen.

Also, as a side note, I don't but into this "Dan Williams" as our first pick at #12. We need an every down player like a OLB or WR. Thats where my betting money is at.

Back
Top Bottom