Sleepers | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sleepers

Thug-U

"A Full Lineup: 22nd Florida Football Player Arrested Under Urban Meyer Regime"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...tball-players-arrested-under-the-meyer-regime
These are not my comments but is brought up on your own message boards. And I also agree when the article states that things changed dramatically once Johnson left the program.
Thug U

This feature article was written for Canespace by UM student and Canespace blogger Tony Locrotondo (Loco)...
During the 1980’s the University of Miami earned the stigma of being labled as “Thug U”. For those of you unfamiliar with their history, the Hurricanes earned the title for a variety of reasons. While many of theses reasons stemmed from false perceptions based on race, socio-economic backgrounds and other factors, there were times where the actions of the players both on and off the field may have contributed to this labeling.
Hurricane teams from the 1980’s were primarily from South Florida and primarily black, due to Howard Schnellenberger’s (and later Jimmy Johnson’s) emphasis on recruiting in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. Some of these players came from Dade County's inner-city neighborhoods such as Liberty City and Opa Locka and rural impoverished communities located in Belle Glade and Pahokee. These players were tough guys from tough neigborhoods and it showed in the way they carried themselves on and off the field.
These Canes teams were also well known for their intimidation antics and showmanship, beginning in 1986 when the team showed up for the National Championship wearing army fatigues. Miami players were shown fighting on the field and in the tunnels before games. The stature of games games grew beyond the pale of college football and the contests with Notre Dame became the "Catholics versus convicts" before the Irish simply refused to play the Canes anymore.
The excessive celebration penalty, also was known as the “Hurricane Rule”, was instituted because of things Hurricane players would do on the field after scoring or recording a sack. The pelvic thrust, the throat slash and running completely off the field and through the tunnel after TD catch? Yeah, players from the team with the "U" on their helmet did all that and more back in the day.
While things have changed dramatically on campus and on the field since the mid 90s, the University of Miami is still referred to as Thug U by the media and fans from other schools. This is especially true whenever anything negative happens surrounding its football team, including the shooting deaths of Bryan Pata and former Hurricane Sean Taylor.
http://canespace.typepad.com/canespace/2008/05/thug-u.html

13. Nader Abdullah DT(Ohio St.) 6'4" 296lbs.
5thyr.senior at OSU. While in Columbus, had to deal with the loss of a family member and the loss of his home during Hurricane Katrina. Good at the point of attack and able to handle two defenders. He is a plugger. Shows pretty good quickness for a big guy and has a good swim move along with other moves in the pass rush. While he did improve at OSU, he never really established himself. Maybe his personal life affected his play, but I'm sure he is one of the more mature people in the draft because of it. May never be a starter, but he can contribute and provide quality depth at the position.

14. DeWayne Lewis CB(Southern Utah) 5'11" 190lbs.
Very, very fast(4.29/40). He is an agressive, big hitting CB. Not a track guy playing football, but a football player who happens to run track. Smooth backpedal and great make up speed. He will take chances on the field and rely on his speed too much.

CB - Mark Parson - Ohio - 5'10 193 lbs

He's been my sleeper from day one. He's projected to run in the 4.3 range and I've heard he can press 19-22 reps of 225 :jawdrop: . If his bench press results are in the 20s, he shoots up the boards quickly.

15. Mark Parsons CB(Ohio) 5'10" 193lbs.
He didn't get an invite from the Combine, but he was hand picked by Deion Sanders to attend his Prime U for cornerback prospects. Parsons is an instinctual player that has great make up speed. He shut down Brian Robiskie(3 catches for 8yds.) in a near upset of Ohio St. As stated earlier, he has great strength for a player his size. It is really baffling why he is not mentioned more prominently when talking about top corner prospects coming out in 2009. I have seen many reports that state that he will make the smoothest transition from college to the Pros. He's a natural man to man cover player.

FanIQ.com states:
Mark Parson is hands down the best man to man corner in the draft. If any corner in this draft can achieve “shutdown corner” status, I believe Mark Parson will be that man.

FFLToolbox.com states:
Parson is one of those players who knows, almost by instincts alone, to play the position. A natural cover man, he does need to assimilate more complex systems before he can start for an NFL team. Right now he is a third round prospect who could have a good-to-great career in the next level.

Although not getting a combine invite, in the Texas vs. Nation he was one of the best defenders on the field. He has been clocked as fast 4.34/40 and as slow as 4.56/40. But whatever his time is, his instincts make up for, if there is any, a lack of ideal speed(I'm just trying to figure out why you don't hear alot about him). He ranks in the top five all-time at Ohio in pass breakups and ints.

16. Lee Robinson LB(Alcorn State) 6'2" 249lbs.
In his Senior season at ASU, he had 111 tackles, 10.5 for loss and 3.5 sacks. But he is not just a one year wonder. Over his college career, Robinson has recorded 223 tackles, 33.5 for loss. His short area speed is greater than his long speed. He can stay with RBs and TEs in the short zone, but don't ask him to cover deep down field. He has the ability to play the SOLB or he could shift inside to MLB. He has the strength to engage OL. I like this quote when he paticipated in the Texas vs. Nation game:

NFLDraftScout.com:
He's a guy who looks like Tarzan -- and plays like him, too. Of this week's participants, Robinson should be one of the first players drafted. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

Great thread DKphin :up:

I know a few people have said, But Chris Owens is someone to watch. I think he is becoming less of a sleeper, but due to the smaller program he came from he could be thought of one. But I really like this guy.

A name I don't think I have seen on here yet is John Bacon ILB from Oregon. He is 6'2'' 242lbs. I have seen him play and he is a hard hitter, and seemed to read plays very well. He could be a great late round pick.

Khalif Mitchell DT 6'5'' 318lbs from East Carolina. Big body, big beast. Transfered from UNC.

Not sure if he is considered, but Jared Bronson the TE from Central Washington has impressed me. My roommate went to CWU, so I kind of followed them some, and saw them play earlier this season. He has great hands. I think he could really prove to be a surprise to a team that will get him.

A WR I really like is Jeremy Childs from Boise State. I've always like BSU, and follow them. He is the kind of WR that does it all, could line up in multiple spots on the field.

Just some of the guys I have liked and not heard much about on a national level.

15. Mark Parsons CB(Ohio) 5'10" 193lbs.
He didn't get an invite from the Combine, but he was hand picked by Deion Sanders to attend his Prime U for cornerback prospects. Parsons is an instinctual player that has great make up speed. He shut down Brian Robiskie(3 catches for 8yds.) in a near upset of Ohio St. As stated earlier, he has great strength for a player his size. It is really baffling why he is not mentioned more prominently when talking about top corner prospects coming out in 2009. I have seen many reports that state that he will make the smoothest transition from college to the Pros. He's a natural man to man cover player.

FanIQ.com states:

FFLToolbox.com states:

Although not getting a combine invite, in the Texas vs. Nation he was one of the best defenders on the field. He has been clocked as fast 4.34/40 and as slow as 4.56/40. But whatever his time is, his instincts make up for, if there is any, a lack of ideal speed(I'm just trying to figure out why you don't hear alot about him). He ranks in the top five all-time at Ohio in pass breakups and ints.

I think he's a definite sleeper, he looks like a perfect slot cover man, but only from the 4th round on

Originally Posted by SamIam
Joe Burnett CB - Central Florida
Philip Hunt DE/OLB - Houston
Victor Butler DE/OLB - Oregon St
17. Phillip Hunt LB(Houston) 6'1"" 253lbs.
I really don't know what there is not to like about this kid. He was named 2008 C-USA Defensive Player of the Year and is a two time All C-USA selection. He set the school single season sack record(14) and career sack record(34) in 2008. He also has 52 consecutive starts while at Houston. The past year he had the 2nd most sacks in the NCAA. Plays with a low pad level that allows him to get leverage on the taller tackles. He was an absolute terror in the pass rush during Shrine week.

Let's switch gears, I want to critique a RB that I feel is going to be a great value pick in the draft:
18. Gartrell Johnson RB(Colorado State) 5'11" 222lbs.

Good:
Had 285 yards rushing vs. Fresno St. in the New Mexico Bowl and was the game's MVP. He had nealy 400 yards combined rushing and receiving in the game. He had 191yds vs. UNLV, 130yds vs. SDSU, 127 vs. NMU, 135 vs. Wyoming in 2008. He's a one cut and go runner and that's the kind of RB the Trifecta is looking for. He's a strong runner between the tackles and has enough wiggle to make the defenders miss. He started his career at Michigan St., but the last 2 seasons at CSU he has 2,433(5.3 ypc), 44 catches for 398yds(9ypr) and 20TDs.

Bad:
Going into the combine he he was regarded as a top RB, but after he ran 4.75/40, his stock has fallen. At his ProDay, he improved his 40 time slightly with 2 runs of 4.68 and 4.67 respectively. That got me thinking there was something not right here. While his 40 time does throw up red flags, I think you have to look more closely at this kids 10 yard split. He ran his first 10yds. in 1.60 secs. Compare that with other runners from last years combine:
Here are some 10/20/40 splits from the 2008 combine:

HB Chris Johnson: 1.40/2.41/4.24
HB Darren McFadden: 1.51/2.53/4.33
HB Jonathan Stewart: 1.54/2.56/4.48
HB Matt Forte: 1.49/2.55/4.46
HB Ray Rice: 1.51/2.52/4.47
HB Steve Slaton: 1.60/2.63/4.49
HB Jamaal Charles: 1.53/2.56/4.38
http://www.operationsports.com/foru...lease-concentrate-agility-acceleration-4.html

While he is no Chris Johnson, he does compare favorablly with the other RBs listed. He is one of the RBs that, because of his burst through the hole, is able to just punish the other team after he gets his 12-15 carries. I remember when Emmit Smith was coming out of UF, they had the same concerns about him. Emmitt had vision, toughness and elusiveness to make up for the lack of speed. I am not saying Johnson is going to be the next Smith but he does possess the same traits as Emmitt. The burst is what gets him through the hole, the vision is what helps find the lane and the mental toughness is what helps him punish defenders.

Here's a list of the players I have so far. There will be more to come. Any additional input from other people is always welcome.

1. Cornelius Lewis OT(TSU) 6'4" 324lbs.
2. Dominique Johnson CB(Jackson St.)6'1"190lbs.
3. Frantz Joseph ILB(FAU) 6'2" 243lbs
4. Darius Passmore WR(Marshall) 6'1" 190lbs.
5. Brandon Swain DE(West Texas A&M) 6'3" 255lbs.
6. D.J. Clark S(Idaho St.) 6'2" 200lbs.
7. Andy Kemp OG(Wisconsin) 6'6" 315lbs.
8. Julius Pruitt WR(Ouachita Baptist) 6'2" 210lbs.
9. Daniel Holtzclaw ILB(Eastern Michigan) 6'1" 246lbs.
10. Stephen McGee QB(Texas A&M) 6'3" 220lbs.
11. Jamarko Simmons WR(Western Michigan) 6'2" 241lbs.
12. Dominique Edison WR(Stephen F. Austin) 6'2" 204lbs.
13. Kevin Barnes CB(Maryland) 6'1" 188lbs.
14. Nick Reed DE(Oregon) 6'2" 255lbs.
15. Nader Abdullah DT(Ohio St.) 6'4" 296lbs.
16. DeWayne Lewis CB(Southern Utah) 5'11" 190lbs.
17. Mark Parsons CB(Ohio) 5'10" 193lbs.
18. Lee Robinson LB(Alcorn State) 6'2" 249lbs.
19. Phillip Hunt LB(Houston) 6'1"" 253lbs.
20. Gartrell Johnson RB(Colorado State) 5'11" 222lbs.

21. Dudley Guice WR(Northwestern State) 6'3" 209lbs.
He has fluid hips, outstanding hands and great body control. He is a thinking man on the field, using a variety of moves to separate from the defender. At the Texas vs. Nation game, scouts were taking a second, third and fourth look at this little known WR. Not receiving an invite to the combine, Guice had to perform for onlookers at his ProDay-he did not disappoint:

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]40 Yrd Dash:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]4.40[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]20 Yrd Dash:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]2.58[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]10 Yrd Dash:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]1.49[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]225 Lb. Bench Reps:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]12[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Vertical Jump:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]39[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Broad Jump:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]10'05"[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]20 Yrd Shuttle:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]4.01[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]3-Cone Drill:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]6.61[/SIZE][/FONT]

He graduated from Northwestern State with a 3.597 GPA and 2nd in the Draddy(Academic Heisman). Could he be this years Marques Colston?

Back
Top Bottom