Slimm's 2015 Runningbacks (Seniors) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2015 Runningbacks (Seniors)

I can see Langford having an NFL career similar to Moreno, and he'll probably be drafted in the 5th or later. Teams should always need a RB who grinds and does the little things.

Karlos Williams is as good as an athlete as you will see in college football. I just feel if he's going to be a successful NFL RB he needs to play in a power scheme. In FSU's zone heavy scheme (they basically only run stretch/wide zone and inside zone/iso) he lacks the vision, and decision making to make 1 cut and live with it. In a zone scheme by your 3rd step as you receive the hand off you should already be making a decision. Rather than reading his blocks and the front dictating for him to press it to the outside or put his foot in the ground and get downhill, he seems to predetermine what hole he wants to hit. He did this on multiple occasions against OKLAST. Now is that something that can be learned? I doubt it. Surely you can get better with reps and with him being a 1st year starter it can improve, however I don't feel it can very much. That's why I feel he would be best utilized in a power scheme like SF, IND, etc. than a zone scheme like SEA, CLE, BAL etc.

Karlos Williams is as good as an athlete as you will see in college football. I just feel if he's going to be a successful NFL RB he needs to play in a power scheme. In FSU's zone heavy scheme (they basically only run stretch/wide zone and inside zone/iso) he lacks the vision, and decision making to make 1 cut and live with it. In a zone scheme by your 3rd step as you receive the hand off you should already be making a decision. Rather than reading his blocks and the front dictating for him to press it to the outside or put his foot in the ground and get downhill, he seems to predetermine what hole he wants to hit. He did this on multiple occasions against OKLAST. Now is that something that can be learned? I doubt it. Surely you can get better with reps and with him being a 1st year starter it can improve, however I don't feel it can very much. That's why I feel he would be best utilized in a power scheme like SF, IND, etc. than a zone scheme like SEA, CLE, BAL etc.
I was a little disappointed with him against OKST. He just seemed indecisive and nervous. He didn't run with authority like he did last year but he didn't start and that's a huge difference. I hope he adjusts but your analysis makes a lot of sense.

It's pretty obvious he's still learning how to be a running back. He's been a starter for all of 4 quarters now. But as you said, Karlos Williams has things that you can't coach. Soft hands and catches the ball naturally, elite size/speed ratio, explosion, and runs with natural power.

FSU's offensive line really struggled against Okie Lite and was the worst unit on the field for either team. Which was a little surprising.

It's pretty obvious he's still learning how to be a running back. He's been a starter for all of 4 quarters now. But as you said, Karlos Williams has things that you can't coach. Soft hands and catches the ball naturally, elite size/speed ratio, explosion, and runs with natural power.

FSU's offensive line really struggled against Okie Lite and was the worst unit on the field for either team. Which was a little surprising.
You are correct. I was shocked at the penetration and pressure that the Cowboys were able to consistently maintain against a very experienced line. I didn't know if their D line was great or if FSU's line struggled or both? Karlos will be fine but I did expect more. Pender looked much more comfortable but he has always been a RB.

I went back today and individually watched Erving, Josue, Barron, Jackson, Hart, O'Leary and then Karlos. I counted 5 poor decisions on zone run plays. In my estimation he left another 25-30 yards on the field. That's with the blocking as it was. It wasn't his fault on the negative runs with 2 minutes left to go, OKST was in a 10 man box and had free runners to the ball. Barron, Jackson, and Hart played really bad. Erving was pretty good in pass pro but not well in the run game. Josue is a beast. I thought O'Leary had a really nice game. Karlos was also playing with the loss of his grandmother so that had to effect him in some way. He played well in the passing game though.

There isn't an OL thread so I'll just post this here. Josue Matias is a stud. Legit top 50 pick. Best olineman on FSU.

If you pay attention to Ahmad Bradshaw and his skillset, that's the type of back I believe Ameer Abdullah can be at the next level.

TedSlimmJr,

Glad to see you're very high on Ameer Abdullah, for me personally, he is my favorite RB in the draft. His combo of balance/run thru contact added to his vision/know when to hit the gas, makes him very dangerous. Every time I study him, I write down wow, how did he make that cut, or how did he find that sliver of space to exploit. A perfect RB to build an offense around for the inside zone/stretch plays.

I also really like David Cobb, each time I have studied him, I wrote down body blows. Really good vision, can make a cut to create a hole, shows patience to let blocks develop, and always falls forward. Defenses simply stop wanting to tackle him. Ironically for a big back, I think he is much better running from spread sets, I feel like his effectiveness goes down quite a bit when they try to line up and play power.

TedSlimmJr,

A guy I really like as a Senior RB, but in a position switch, is David Johnson from Northern Iowa. Easy to see why if you saw him against Iowa, but his receiving ability has long been a strength of his. Us Dolphins fans should be able to see quite a bit of Charles Clay to him, but I think Johnson flashes more natural ball skills. I think a savvy offensive coordinator would be able to make great use of Johnson.

Would love to know if you have personally watched him, amd what your thoughts are if you have.

The problem with FSU's running game and Karlos Williams in particular this year in my opinion is that they're running too much IZ and can't block it correctly. There's no "read" in there for the QB because they just hand it off every time. The defense knows that. The EMOL can just crash down unblocked and stop this play every time.

Karlos Williams runs much better behind a fullback. They just don't do it enough. All you have to do is watch the difference between how he runs from the "I' behind a fullback, and how they waste downs running IZ. It's plain as day.

Williams fits an offense that utilizes a fullback and features staples such as traps and counters.

Back
Top Bottom