Slimm's 2015 Runningbacks (Seniors) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2015 Runningbacks (Seniors)

TedSlimmJr,

A guy I really like as a Senior RB, but in a position switch, is David Johnson from Northern Iowa. Easy to see why if you saw him against Iowa, but his receiving ability has long been a strength of his. Us Dolphins fans should be able to see quite a bit of Charles Clay to him, but I think Johnson flashes more natural ball skills. I think a savvy offensive coordinator would be able to make great use of Johnson.

Would love to know if you have personally watched him, amd what your thoughts are if you have.

I have watched him and the main aspect of his running ability that I noticed is how much he likes the cutback. He's a big back that's going to cutback virtually every carry. Very predictable, but it's been effective for him against FCS competition. Not so much against teams like Iowa.

Obviously has excellent receiving skills out of the backfield. He actually reminds me a little bit of Latavius Murray coming out of UCF.

The problem with FSU's running game and Karlos Williams in particular this year in my opinion is that they're running too much IZ and can't block it correctly. There's no "read" in there for the QB because they just hand it off every time. The defense knows that. The EMOL can just crash down unblocked and stop this play every time.

Karlos Williams runs much better behind a fullback. They just don't do it enough. All you have to do is watch the difference between how he runs from the "I' behind a fullback, and how they waste downs running IZ. It's plain as day.

Williams fits an offense that utilizes a fullback and features staples such as traps and counters.

You're exactly right. They need to call the pull read. You call it just like normal IZ or OZ, and Jameis pulls it. No one else on the offense knows he's pulling it but Jameis. You can also add in a combination route with the WR to the backside. They also don't call enough boots either.

But as I said earlier in this thread, Karlos isn't best as a zone runner. Put him in the I and let him run powers, counters, toss sweeps, and traps and you will maximize him. I don't see him fitting Miami at all. But a team like SF, IND, that utilizes those types of runs is the best scheme fit for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also they do not do a good job with their combination blocks at all. You'll see Tre looking to climb to the backer and barely give the 3 a stab. **** that backer if you can't get the 3 blocked you don't have a play. I wonder how much of an impact losing Bryan Stork is. I have to question if Austin Barron is correctly making the right calls. The way they block things at times doesn't make sense and when the do call it right they are hell bent on climbing to the 2nd level they forgot about the down lineman.

Yeah I'm going to put most of the blame on Austin Barron. Karlos is a solid 2nd round prospect.

The production just isn't there this year for Karlos Williams due to several factors, but this kid's talent is just unbelievable. He puts it on display once or twice a game. You have to watch closely or you'll miss it.

He made a short TD run againt Notre Dame that no other back in the country could've made. He broke about 4 tackles and carried 5 defensive ends and LB's on a 2 yard TD run.

Also might be the most underrated back in the country at catching passes out of the backfield. Completely out-fought a ND defensive back for the football than broke loose for a big gain afterwards. This was a bad decision and bad throw by Winston throwing extremely late to the flat....Williams talent bailed FSU's offense out here. Like I said, you really have to watch closely, but you'll see incredible plays by Karlos Williams that are all him that illustrate his talent. Physically, he's just stronger, meaner, and more athletic than everybody else.

The production just isn't there this year for Karlos Williams due to several factors, but this kid's talent is just unbelievable. He puts it on display once or twice a game. You have to watch closely or you'll miss it.

He made a short TD run againt Notre Dame that no other back in the country could've made. He broke about 4 tackles and carried 5 defensive ends and LB's on a 2 yard TD run.

Also might be the most underrated back in the country at catching passes out of the backfield. Completely out-fought a ND defensive back for the football than broke loose for a big gain afterwards. This was a bad decision and bad throw by Winston throwing extremely late to the flat....Williams talent bailed FSU's offense out here. Like I said, you really have to watch closely, but you'll see incredible plays by Karlos Williams that are all him that illustrate his talent. Physically, he's just stronger, meaner, and more athletic than everybody else.

As far as RB's, here are my grades thus far (on a scale 1.0-8.0):

Todd Gurley 6'1 232 4.52 Georgia- 8.0
Melvin Gordon 6'1 207 4.52 Wisconsin- 7.5
Ameer Abdullah 5'9 195 4.48 Nebraska- 6.9
Duke Johnson 5'9 206 4.42 Miami- 6.7
Karlos Williams 6'1 219 4.42 Florida State- 6.4

I like Karlos as a good #2 back. Top 75 pick.

As far as RB's, here are my grades thus far (on a scale 1.0-8.0):

Todd Gurley 6'1 232 4.52 Georgia- 8.0
Melvin Gordon 6'1 207 4.52 Wisconsin- 7.5
Ameer Abdullah 5'9 195 4.48 Nebraska- 6.9
Duke Johnson 5'9 206 4.42 Miami- 6.7
Karlos Williams 6'1 219 4.42 Florida State- 6.4

I like Karlos as a good #2 back. Top 75 pick.

Like I said previously, he runs best behind a fullback or lead blocker. He's going to be most effective in an offense that utilizes pulling lineman or a fullback where he can get right on the hip of his lead blocker and ride him through the hole....then he'll punish second and third level linebackers and safeties with his devastating natural running power and aggression.

The reason for this, and why his production isn't there this year is because despite how incredibly athletic he is, he's a stiff athlete from the hips down. A lot like DeMarco Murray was. He doesn't have the lateral agility to make defenders of equal caliber miss trying to run all the zone plays out of single back sets that FSU likes to run. He can outrun a lot of 'em to the perimeter, but he can't change directions and make 'em miss on a cutback. He's just stiff in his hips and it's obvious when you watch him run. Those stiff hips are why he didn't work out as a defensive back and made the move to RB in the first place.

Florida St. has other backs that are more adept for this style of running, although not as talented as Karlos Williams. They just don't run out of a two back set enough. They have to get all those WR's and TE's on the field and let Winston throw it around because that's where their talent is. Secondly, they're playing from behind a lot more lately.

Things aren't going to get much better in the NFL.

If Karlos Williams needs to run behind a fullback to unlock his potential that could be a problem because the NFL only uses a lead-blocking fullback collectively on about 1 out of 3 run plays.

Things aren't going to get much better in the NFL.

If Karlos Williams needs to run behind a fullback to unlock his potential that could be a problem because the NFL only uses a lead-blocking fullback collectively on about 1 out of 3 run plays.

Well that's true, but I'm not saying he needs to run behind a fullback. Rather, he runs best behind a fullback for FSU, as opposed to lined up in a single back set in a shotgun formation. As I said, he fits best in an offense that features elements of power in terms of pulling lineman and kick out blocks (counters, traps, draws).

There's other ways of utilizing lead blockers without being lined up in a traditional "I" or with a traditional fullback, which seems to be what the NFL prefers.... an H-back serves the same purpose. I don't watch a lot of NFL football, but I'd venture to guess that the small percentage of time that teams do utilize a fullback, they're very successful when they do it. Particularly the teams that are the best at running the football.

I watched a little bit of the Texans/Steelers game last night and the Texans were very successful when Foster ran behind Jay Prosch lined up in a traditional FB formation. Karlos Williams may run fine out of single back set with an H-back offset and with the QB under center... we don't know because we haven't seen it. I'm going to say he can if they're pulling lineman into the hole and running staples of power that I mentioned previously.

Most of these Senior RB's that are extremely productive and have been for some time are all terrific backs, but they maxed out in college. They're not as talented or physically gifted as a kid like Karlos Williams. I think his upside is tremendous at the next level because FSU simply hasn't tapped into his potential as a runner. I hope the league isn't surprised if he comes in and explodes by year 2.

Furthermore, another reason he's more successful running behind a lead blocker is because that's the only way FSU can get everybody blocked up at the POA due to so many missed assignments by the offensive line when they don't. I have no idea why they keep trying to run out of the shotgun with the back offset.... they can't block anybody. When they line up in double tights with a lead blocker, Williams busts loose because everybody is blocked up.

The backs are poorly coached on pass protection. Williams has the size and strength to hold up exceptionally well at the NFL in pass protection. Right now he chooses to go low and attack blitzers instead of absorbing them. This is a coaching point to unlock more of his potential as a football player.

Winston makes up for all of these mistakes and shortcomings with the rest of the squad time and again. He's that good. I can't understand why most people can't figure that out.

He's miscast in a zone scheme. He needs to play in a power scheme that runs power, counter, traps, and toss sweeps. My biggest critique is that I don't feel he has the vision necessary to be an effective zone runner. But if you put him in a power scheme where you predetermine where you want him to run, he can be a very effective player. I don't think he is a starter (or a good one) at the next level but I really like his aggression, power, acceleration through the hole, and his 3 down abilities (great on swing passes, and has the strength/size to anchor in pass pro). I just don't like him as a bell cow at the next level. But his stock is going to drop because of the ineffectiveness of the OL. A team will scoop him in the 75-100 range and have a steal.

2. Ameer Abdullah / Nebraska / 5'9", 195

1406680688000USPNCAAFootballSouthernMiss-1.jpg

Another hometown kid that I watched several times when he was in high school in Birmingham. Grew up a huge Auburn fan and still is. However, Auburn and the rest of the SEC wanted him as a DB. Cornhuskers were able to land him by giving him the opportunity to play RB. Beat out more highly recruited backs at Nebraska because of work ethic and attitude. Comes from a tremendous and hard working family. He's the youngest of 9 siblings. Has a sister that played volleyball at Alabama A&M, and brother Muhammed that played football at Alabama St. Nebraska coaches create post-practice drills specifically designed not to tax Abdullah’s legs, because they know he won’t leave the field until he’s among the last to finish working. Best offensive player for Nebraska is also their hardest worker. Nobody in the program denies either account. Volunteered to play CB as a freshman in 2011. Excels as a kick returner, punt returner, catching passes out of the backfield, and running between the tackles. One of the 2 or 3 best All-Purpose backs in the country. He'll be the safest pick among RB's in the draft.

One of my favorite players in the draft.

Abdullah is a fantastic player. He will be a solid runner in the pros, not on the same level as Gurley or Gordon. However, he will excel in the passing game. He is probably my favorite RB in the passing game.

Another underrated RB IMO is Tevin Coleman. The guy is an absolute beast.

Abdullah is a fantastic player. He will be a solid runner in the pros, not on the same level as Gurley or Gordon. However, he will excel in the passing game. He is probably my favorite RB in the passing game.

Another underrated RB IMO is Tevin Coleman. The guy is an absolute beast.

Since he's been reported as declaring, he's the next RB on my list to evaluate.

Back
Top Bottom