Slimm's 2015 Wide Receivers (Seniors) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2015 Wide Receivers (Seniors)

For me there's a clear distinction between a special talent and a special skillset. They're two different things.

A talent is innate or God given, however you choose to view it. A skillset is honed and developed. I always referred to Cordarrelle Patterson as a special talent. Anytime a player has a special talent, it's usually blatently obvious to even an untrained eye. This player stands out. I don't necessarily mean he stands out as one of the best players in the stadium on that particular day. This player stands out among all players that you've ever watched.

You'll know it immediately... he'll trigger that instinct within you that tells you that he's doing things athletically that you don't see often when you watch a lot of football. In football, it's typically fairly simple... an explosive quality and/or insane change of direction. On the other hand, feats of strength or concentration can often be deceiving. For a receiver, talent is what he does with the ball in his hands. Skillset is what he does prior to that. You can take these to the bank. Calvin Johnson was a special talent. Julio Jones was a special talent.

I'm not really sure how to answer your question regarding a breaking point between special talent with inadequacies and players that are solid across the board. The best way I can answer that is this.. all players have inadequacies somewhere. But not all have special talent. Which is why a special talent should rate higher. A solid player without special talent can outproduce a special talent because of what I mentioned before...a special skillset. Although that still doesn't make him a special talent. A.J. Green had a better skillset than Julio, but Julio was a more special talent physically. Wes Welker has a special skillset, but nowhere near a special talent.

Another example, Sammy Watkins was the only special talent that I saw at the WR position this year. But I saw many with special skillsets. Marqise Lee has a special skillset... smoothness and route running. But again, he's not a special talent.

I don't know that I would consider Ty Montgomery a special talent. Although I would agree that he has special traits for a receiver that size, which puts him in a category that is in the top percentile for an NFL wide receiver prospect. But he's not a 1% ("1 percenter"). He's good enough for top 10 on my board of Senior wide receivers. But I view my top prospect on this list (Parker) as a 2nd rounder in the mold of an Aaron Dobson. The underclassman are where I currently believe the special talent lies.

I hope I answered your question somewhat. If not let me know.

I love your writing slimm, one sentence into one of your posts I'm hook, line, & sinker. If you're not a paid journalist the industry is missing out.

He was beating up on a coverted WR that has no business starting at CB for Alabama, but he's a big physical receiver that's extremely explosive and dynamic RAC skills. He caught my eye last year because he was always the one making plays for West Virginia. His consistency in the way he takes over games is getting better and better every week. He looks like a top 100 player to me.

Trickett has certainly improved. The concern with him is obvious though... he's still skinny. I can't knock him anymore for it though than kids like Halliday, Cato, or Keeton in this class. They're all built about the same in terms of lack of bulk. All have a certain degree of arm talent though. You'll stick 'em on the roster and develope them over a few years as hopefully capable backups at the next level.

Yep Trickett looks frail & vulnerable.......don`t know how much truth, but someone on the WVa mb made a comment
that he suffers from a celiac condition which makes weight gain difficult

I love your writing slimm, one sentence into one of your posts I'm hook, line, & sinker. If you're not a paid journalist the industry is missing out.

Thank you very much I'm glad you enjoy reading them.

However, the truth is I'm the furthest thing from a journalist as you can get. There's a lot of things I'd do to get paid before I'd do that. I despise most sports writers and journalists. Its just the coach in me.

As Spurrier would say....I'm just a ol' ball coach.

To give you an idea of how I feel about sports writers or journalists... I always go back to an example set by Bear Bryant many years ago.

After a local journalist covering the Crimson Tide passed away, some people were taking up a collection to help pay for his final expenses. A guy came to Coach Bryant and asked him if he could donate $10 to help pay for his burial.....

...Coach Bryant reached in his back pocket, pulled out his wallet and handed the guy a $20 dollar bill and said, "Here, bury two of 'em"...

I think he got his point across.

Ironically the guy I see most for a player comp of Justin Hardy is our own Brandon Gibson, I think Hardy will be able to carve out a similar career by being a savvy, reliable route runner that knows how to get open, and has a nice combo of hands/catch radius.

Miami desperately needs a WR (or TE) that can just go get the ball.

If qb wasn't a major need give me Kevin White from WVU

Regarding special Talent.

AJ Green was a special talent. Knew him personally and played against him and studied him throughout hs, he's the definition of a special talent imo.

White continues to dominate this season. He and Cooper will be the top 2 WRs selected in the 2015 draft.

Looks like DeVante Parker might be available for the NC State game this weekend, but if he even plays, it will probably only be a few snaps to get him some game action. We've got a bye week and then FSU on October 30th. They'll want him as close to 100% as possible for that game.

The #1 priority this offseason has to be bringing a true #1 WR in. If Wallace remains on the team, that would most likely have to come from the draft because of Wallace's salary.

With the way Kevin White has absolutely abused guys like Zack Sanchez and Xavien Howard, and with his total package of physical size, strength and speed, I can't help but wonder if he should project better to the pros than Amari Cooper.

Not to take anything away from Cooper. What he did to Vernon Hargreaves, I'm not sure if we'll see that happen again in Hargreaves' college career. But when it comes to physical prowess versus technical prowess at that particular position, I would think you'd tend toward the physical potential...the ceiling guy.

Of course Sammie Coates has the ludicrously high ceiling but he may also be in the habit of getting in his own way, fighting the football, etc.

Cooper really didn't do anything to Hargreaves except catch a 4 yard fade TD on him. Even that pass was defended perfectly, Cooper is just so good at locating the football and timing his jump that he won that particular play. Even Gary Danielson pointed out that you can't defend that play any better. That was a TD no matter who the DB was. Cooper only had 2 catches for 4 yards vs. Hargreaves in man coverage... those 4 yards came on the fade TD. The other catch Hargreaves tackled him for no gain. Cooper did beat him once more for a big gain but this was after Hargreaves had injured his achilles, which would've take most players out. This play was called back due to a penalty.

Cooper did all of his damage from the slot against Florida not matched up with Hargreaves. Muschamp kept him on the outside in zone to strengthen Florida's perimeter against Bama's running game whenever Cooper was in the slot, as opposed to following Cooper all game. Which was a tragic blunder. I would've had Hargreaves follow Cooper to the bathroom and force somebody else to beat me with Sims throwing the ball.

I don't subscribe to the theory that either one translates to the NFL better than the other, because what both of 'em do translates to the NFL. You have to press Cooper at the line with a safety over the top like Ole Miss did to stop him. But you have to have the talent to do it, and Ole Miss defense is the best in the country.

Back
Top Bottom